Shoutbox

Started today, Virus issue when signing in. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Started today, Virus issue when signing in. (/showthread.php?tid=92320)

Started today, Virus issue when signing in. by waterface on 09-22-2009 at 07:38 PM

Hi all

This started today out of the blue.

I recently upgraded as necessary to the latest Windows Live Messenger & all was ok.

Today i logged in & before the 'Bing' news page arrived, i got a Virus detection from my Antivirus saying this :-

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen [virus]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1E9YQLYZ\ADSAdClient31[1].htm.
Action performed: Deny access

I have heard of ADSAdClient31 before, but thought it was when accessing WLM through hotmail in Firefox! I do use Firefox, but not to access WLM through hotmail.

Can anyone help as i keep infecting my pc or filling up my Antivirus!

Thanks

RE: Started today, Virus issue when signing in. by andrey on 09-27-2009 at 02:18 AM

It might be downloaded because of WLM's advertisement or the MSN today page that pops up once you open WLM (if you haven't disabled that). From what I have read it's not a virus but related to MSN's advertising service.
Depending on what anti-virus you're using, you might be able to define a rule on how to deal with that file or try removing the advertisement from WLM and disabling MSN today.

RE: Started today, Virus issue when signing in. by waterface on 09-29-2009 at 09:07 AM

Hi Audrey
Yes, i guess thats what the issue is as i disabled 'Windows Live Today' & only the 1st time i logged in whilst it was disabled did i have the virus alert!
I guess as the content of the page changes regularly, its not always constant that i will get the same virus notifications.

I guess your saying its best to have it permanently disabled & no need to post any hijackthis logs anywhere to see if i have Malware?

Thanks

wf

RE: Started today, Virus issue when signing in. by waterface on 09-30-2009 at 12:44 PM

This issue, the virus alert happened again today!!

My Windows Live today is turned off, but my Antivir popped up & i denied access!!
Will this happen if an additional piece of advertising is adden to live that causes my Antivir to notify ? , is it a problem & how do i stop it totally!!

Thanks

RE: Started today, Virus issue when signing in. by waterface on 10-02-2009 at 11:47 AM

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks