Shoutbox

Recycle Bin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Recycle Bin (/showthread.php?tid=92404)

Recycle Bin by iKingsten on 09-30-2009 at 01:32 AM

As usual I'm trying to customize my computer as much as possible and as usual I'm having some trouble and again as usual I gotta ask you guys for help here 8-)
Well, my question is if I can remove the Recycle Bin icon from my desktop? I can't delete it via rightclick on it and on Properties --> Desktop --> Customize Desktop there's no Recycle Bin icon to remove..
Is there a way instead of unchecking the show desktop icons thing on rightclick?

RE: Recycle Bin by MeEtc on 09-30-2009 at 01:43 AM

You can change it using tweakUI in XP I know for a fact, I don't think there is an equivalent for vista/7

RE: Recycle Bin by ryxdp on 09-30-2009 at 11:04 AM

Apparently the XP registry edit works in Vista too :)

RE: RE: Recycle Bin by iKingsten on 09-30-2009 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
You can change it using tweakUI in XP I know for a fact, I don't think there is an equivalent for vista/7
Yes, I'm using XP and I got tweakUI but how do I delete it?

I'm not getting along with that registry edit, it's really complicated and I don't understand a thing :$
RE: Recycle Bin by matty on 09-30-2009 at 12:54 PM

It isn't hard to follow the steps. But here is the files anyways.

RE: RE: Recycle Bin by iKingsten on 09-30-2009 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
It isn't hard to follow the steps. But here is the files anyways.
Thanks a lot to all of you guys !! :D
RE: Recycle Bin by lizard.boy on 09-30-2009 at 02:18 PM

I'm not sure if you're trying to get rid of the Recycling bin only, or all the desktop icons. If you're looking to hide all the desktop icons just right click the desktop choose arrange icons by and then deselect show desktop icons.

RE: Recycle Bin by matty on 09-30-2009 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
I'm not sure if you're trying to get rid of the Recycling bin only, or all the desktop icons. If you're looking to hide all the desktop icons just right click the desktop choose arrange icons by and then deselect show desktop icons.
quote:
Originally posted by iKingsten
Is there a way instead of unchecking the show desktop icons thing on rightclick?
Thats just what the OP was trying to avoid.
RE: Recycle Bin by vaccination on 09-30-2009 at 02:55 PM

code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\RecycleBinOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Text"="Show Recycle Bin icon on the desktop"
"Type"="checkbox"
"ValueName"="{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

That'll work much nicer than matty's, it adds a nice little option into Folder Options meaning you can just toggle it on and off when needed, instead of re-applying two different reg files.

[Image: reg_Figure1.gif]

Add the above code to a text file and rename it <name>.reg. After saving it double click it to import to registry.
RE: Recycle Bin by matty on 09-30-2009 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\RecycleBinOnDesktop]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"
"Type"="checkbox"

That'll work much nicer than matty's, it adds a nice little option into Folder Options meaning you can just toggle it on and off when needed, instead of re-applying two different reg files.

[Image: reg_Figure1.gif]

Add the above code to a text file and rename it <name>.reg. After saving it double click it to import to registry.
Slick vaccy! I had no idea you could do that.

One thing, don't you need to have the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 header? I can't quite remember.
RE: Recycle Bin by vaccination on 09-30-2009 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
One thing, don't you need to have the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 header? I can't quite remember.
Ah, yeah. Well, 4+ would do :p

code:
REGEDIT5
"Type"="checkbox"

RE: Recycle Bin by Mitcho1989 on 10-05-2009 at 12:42 PM

i know youve already solved it, but there is a pretty easy way using an XP powertoy, Tweak UI

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powe...s/xppowertoys.mspx

look though the column on the right and youll find the Tweak UI setup file. download and install it.

go to start -> all programs -> powertoys for windows xp -> tweak ui

click "Desktop" on the left (not the plus button, but "Desktop" itself) and from there you can simply untick Recycle Bin to remove it, and tick it again to put it back

the other method suggested above is really good tho :) this is just another way to do it.

RE: Recycle Bin by iKingsten on 10-05-2009 at 09:03 PM

oh that's a nice one. i actually used tweak ui but i (dont ask me how) didn't find that way xd
thank you