Shoutbox

Windows 7 Clean Install - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows 7 Clean Install (/showthread.php?tid=92432)

Windows 7 Clean Install by MC Inferno on 10-01-2009 at 10:26 PM

Hey Guys

Right, I've got a DVD of Win7 and I want to do a clean install (before you ask, I'm very sure, and I've backed up my files!)

Now, when I insert the disk, it wont let me delete vista, it only lets me go to install paritition 3 (my second hard drive). It says to get rid of vista, I need to reboot Vista from my boot disk. I remember changing OS in the past, and I'm sure I was able to do this without a multiboot. Dont fancy fucking about in BIOS because I'm not that good with it, so is there anyway to make Win7 do the hard work for me?

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by blessedguy on 10-01-2009 at 10:43 PM

The installer is just asking you to reboot with the DVD inside, the DVD will boot the Windows 7 setup if I recall correctly.

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by MC Inferno on 10-01-2009 at 10:50 PM

Ohhh... Right ok. Ill give that a try. If I dont post in ten mins or so, assume its worked, and I'm kissing goodbye to bullshit Vista!

EDIT: never worked. Should I try shutting down with Win7 disc in the DVD drive then restart and hold F12 to select booting form disk instead? Sorry to sound painfully obvious, just dont want to fuck up my PC as you can imagine. BIOS is scary! haha!

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by blessedguy on 10-01-2009 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
EDIT: never worked. Should I try shutting down with Win7 disc in the DVD drive then restart and hold F12 to select booting form disk instead? Sorry to sound painfully obvious, just dont want to fuck up my PC as you can imagine. BIOS is scary! haha!

I guess yes.

I was also afraid of even using the BIOS, but there's no problem if you are cautionful. What you'd do there would be changing the boot order in fact...
RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by toddy on 10-01-2009 at 11:04 PM

most BIOS don't even let you change anything important anyway

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by MC Inferno on 10-01-2009 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno

I guess yes.

I was also afraid of even using the BIOS, but there's no problem if you are cautionful. What you'd do there would be changing the boot order in fact...

Thanks for the quick replies and advice. I'll give it a shot and report back.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
most BIOS don't even let you change anything important anyway

I hope not. Thanks toddy, as you already know, yor help is invaluable.
RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by Hank on 10-01-2009 at 11:52 PM

paranoid freaks :refuck:  it isnt hard to change a config in ya BIOS to boot from a device such as CDROM . i think HDD is first boot device on mine an then CDROM is 2nd boot device. or if ya not sure how to change it in BIOS read ya BIOS Manual book

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by blessedguy on 10-01-2009 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
it isnt hard to change a config in ya BIOS to boot from a device such as CDROM
Nope, it isn't: easy as pie. But it is also easy to mess up with everything, specially if you don't know what you're doing.
RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by Hank on 10-01-2009 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Nope, it isn't: easy as pie. But it is also easy to mess up with everything, specially if you don't know what you're doing.
true, but i do. but if one isnt sure on what to do, refer to the Manual unless you wanna end up paying someone $60 just to install a Operating system
RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by lizard.boy on 10-02-2009 at 01:19 AM

Usually there's an option to use a one time boot device. Usually if you press F12, F11, or ESC will bring up a one time boot menu that lets you boot off a CD or even a USB stick.

RE: Windows 7 Clean Install by MC Inferno on 10-02-2009 at 04:44 PM

Well I pressed f12 and was able to boot from disc and delete vista, a lot easier than i expexted and win7 only took 20 mins or so, really easy!

Haven't had time to have a go yet because it was pretty late (I'm texting from my phone as I speak) so looking forward to my new os.

14 seconds to shutddown... I'm impressed!

EDIT: Posting off Win7 now.. as you can see, it all went fine! Thanks guys.