Shoutbox

Way to check ever single time a file was modified? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? (/showthread.php?tid=92443)

Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Jimbo on 10-02-2009 at 02:55 PM

Is there any way to check the exact time and dates of every single modification to a file?
Dont mind any method of doing this really, just need to find a way to do this, if its even possible.

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by matty on 10-02-2009 at 03:02 PM

Historically or on a go forward basis?

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Jimbo on 10-02-2009 at 03:19 PM

Historically if possible, ie, for the last 2 weeks?

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Spunky on 10-02-2009 at 04:29 PM

I highly doubt it unless you can use Vista/7's Shadow Copies information...

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Ezra on 10-02-2009 at 07:34 PM

Shadow Copy is only available in the Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista and in Windows 7 Professional and higher editions.

I don't think windows saves the dates that you change files, just the last time you did it.

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by blessedguy on 10-02-2009 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't think windows saves the dates that you change files, just the last time you did it.
Correct. Windows saves only the last change time for each shadow copy.
RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Spunky on 10-02-2009 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Shadow Copy is only available in the Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista and in Windows 7 Professional and higher editions.

Erm, whoops... what torrent?
RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Ezra on 10-02-2009 at 09:25 PM

quote:

Hmm, after searching some more I found out that ALL Vista and 7 versions have the shadow copy service and it's actually running, they just removed the GUI for it. I however don't know if it's actually enabled, if not, you are out of luck, even if the API's work, it's too late you want it to work without enabling shadow copy yourself. BUT if it's enabled (which I doubt) you could use the API to get what you want.

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Correct. Windows saves only the last change time for each shadow copy.

Looking at some screenshots it appears that when shadow copy is enabled it does save the dates of all changes.
RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Tochjo on 10-02-2009 at 11:10 PM

quote:
I found out that ALL Vista and 7 versions have the shadow copy service and it's actually running, they just removed the GUI for it. I however don't know if it's actually enabled, if not, you are out of luck, even if the API's work, it's too late you want it to work without enabling shadow copy yourself. BUT if it's enabled (which I doubt) you could use the API to get what you want.

I don't know much about this, but perhaps Shadow Explorer could be of use here?
RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by tony on 10-03-2009 at 12:20 AM

http://www.phoneinbuddy.com/FAM_main.htm

RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Spunky on 10-03-2009 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
http://www.phoneinbuddy.com/FAM_main.htm

That won't work historically though. Just after the fact :p
RE: Way to check ever single time a file was modified? by Cartox on 10-03-2009 at 11:46 AM

I use Disk Recon.
http://www.blacksunsoftware.com/diskrecon.html

It has a file monitor wich can monitor any changes in files and folders on the disk (or folder) you want and the results are exportable to an excel sheet.

*Edit: This doesn't work historically. Only when the program starts.