Shoutbox

VERY strange...webcam on with pc off - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off (/showthread.php?tid=92497)

VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 05:16 PM

I have just encountered a really strange thing...I was in a conversation with someone and we had our webcams on and a call too...my friend was leaving and turned off her pc. the strange thing is that her pc was off and even a small light that turns on when the cam is on, was off, but i could still see her on the wlm window on her webcam. the pc was still plugged in to the electricity. what i am guessing is the reason maybe because she uses a router too but then i think that that would only happen in a LAN(which happened to me once)....has anyone ever encountered this? it's really unsecure and should be fixed asap as you think you have your pc off so you think the webcam is off too...while it is still on and anyone can see you.

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Discrate on 10-07-2009 at 05:19 PM

Did you see her naked or anything?

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 05:20 PM

haha no...and she is my girl so I see her naked by my side not on a webcam :P

but I called her as i thought she didn't want to speak to me as I still saw her online

RE: RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Discrate on 10-07-2009 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bradyramone
haha no...and she is my girl so I see her naked by my side not on a webcam :P

but I called her as i thought she didn't want to speak to me as I still saw her online

Was she still at her computer when you saw her? if so her computer wasnt off lol. Most likely she didn't exit out of the webcam session even though she thought she did.
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 05:30 PM

no lol...she turned off her pc...shutdown...and she was putting away stuff on her desk so I thought she was still on her pc. and when I called her she said her pc was off and then I told her to unplug it and the cam froze..

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Spunky on 10-07-2009 at 05:34 PM

It's impossible for the webcam to function correctly when the PC is turned off, even if it is still being powered via the USB power supply. The fact is, the data has nowhere to go, nothing to process it. It wouldn't make it to the network card let alone the router and then the internet.

The most likely explanation is the the computer was asleep, not off

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 05:40 PM

I know even i can't really beleive it...but I am 100%+ sure it happened like I said

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 05:41 PM

where is the option of "you're a moron" ?

RE: RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Discrate on 10-07-2009 at 05:42 PM

quote:
I know even i can't really beleive it...but I am 100%+ sure it happened like I said

lol if there is no power going through your pc, the webcam can't function.
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 05:46 PM

maybe there is power in the webcam...for example when i turn the wall plug on...the optical mouse red light turns on even when the pc is off...so there may be power in the webcam

llol i know you think this is crazy...even I do...but it just happened...I will ask her to do the same thing when she comes back so I can see it again and tell you if it happened...

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 05:48 PM

think you need to read my post again.

computer turned off means no harddrive
no harddrive means no windows
no windows means no messager &/or drivers for the webcame to work

* toddy guesses what you actually did was turn the monitor off

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 06:00 PM

listen mate....I am a computer programmer so I guess I know what that stuff is huh?

I mean I know what you are trying to say but it just happened!!

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 06:05 PM

a computer programmer who doesn't know how windows works, lolz

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 06:20 PM

Ok mr knowitall...first of all stop saying that i dont know how a pc works...i know i am not a pro but i have a very good idea of it...

Second is that i dont think my girl is that dump that she thought her pc was off while just her monitor was...

Last thing i will tell her to do this again and i will record it on video and show it to you!!

Hope that will stop you from thinking i am dumb!!

I opened this thread because i thought there was anyone that had an idea why this happened not telling me that i dont know what i am doing!!

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Discrate on 10-07-2009 at 06:22 PM

"Second is that i dont think my girl is that dump"

lol.

If the computer is not on, there is no way the webcam can be on, end of story. What do you want us to say? it was magic?

Your gf is most likely putting the comp in sleep without knowing.

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Spunky on 10-07-2009 at 06:22 PM

OMFG! It's a virus! ¬_¬

The mouse light is powered by the USB as I said about your webcam. HOWEVER, the mouse DOES NOT WORK when the PC is OFF does it? No, because the OS isn't running and more importantly, there are NO DRIVERS for it do anything.

HER PC WAS STILL TURNED ON... fucking "programmer" can't figure the simplest thing out.

Javascript code:
if(pc_power === false && webcam_power()){
    webcam_is_off_retard();
}else if(pc_power === false && !webcam_power()){
    var ohnoesvirus = true;
    try{
        var ret = fool_everyone();
    }catch(bradyramone){
        Debug.Print("bradyramone was caught out");
        return "Not a very good programmer";
    }
    return "Oh yeah, it WAS still on";
}else if(pc_power === true){
        //Most likely cause
        return "ITS STILL FUCKING ON DUMBASS";
}

EDIT: Fixed code. I know it's not real, but I'm not gonna stand here and have broken code ^o)
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
EDIT: Fixed code. I know it's not real, but I'm not gonna stand here and have broken code ^o)
u stand at your computer? you're stranger than the kid in question :p
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Spunky on 10-07-2009 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
u stand at your computer? you're stranger than the kid in question :p

Yeah, I'm strange... but I understand the basic principles of how a PC works :p

And no, I don't stand (figure of speech obviously) ;) I squat

I also notice he's the only one that was worried about it, just after I was gonna put the only reason to be scared is if it happened the other way around and you were pounding :refuck:
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-07-2009 at 06:30 PM

Damn ok lol say whatever you want i just know it happned...but i will show you a video of that whEn i have time  ;)

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 06:31 PM

quote:
I squat
to much information mate :p
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Spunky on 10-07-2009 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Damn ok lol say whatever you want i just know it happned...but i will show you a video of that whEn i have time  ;)

Yeah, sure. You're going to reproduce something that, as far as you, me or the whole world knows has reportedly happened once, ever. Even though we all know that it's not possible?

I'll be going nowhere. I wanna see this.
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 06:32 PM

quote:
u know it happened, despite not actually being there? explain how that one works
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-07-2009 at 06:34 PM

quote:

I also notice he's the only one that was worried about it, just after I was gonna put the only reason to be scared is if it happened the other way around and you were pounding :refuck:
* toddy doesn't have messenger

* toddy uses facebook to stalk these days
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Th3rmal on 10-08-2009 at 09:44 AM

There could be 3 explanations!
1. She is used to working with a mac, which when you click the on off button on the monitor, it turns the computer off, and then when she switched to PC, she thought it was the same. Thus turning her monitor off and not her computer like she thought she did (unlikely, but a possibility)

2. You found a glitch in the Matrix

3. Jesus didnt want the conversation to end, by unplugging the computer you made jesus sad. Now look what youve done.

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Jarrod on 10-08-2009 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
which when you click the on off button on the monitor, it turns the computer off, and then when she switched to PC, she thought it was the same
are you sure she didn't just turn off the screen that was my first thought too.
I do like this idea though
quote:
Jesus didn't want the conversation to end,

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-08-2009 at 10:14 AM

no i am sure she knows that turning off the monitor doesn't turn off the pc...she has never used a mac mate... and it's not her first time that she turned off a pc

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Th3rmal on 10-08-2009 at 10:30 AM

quote:
no i am sure she knows that turning off the monitor doesn't turn off the pc...she has never used a mac mate... and it's not her first time that she turned off a pc
Check explanations 2 and 3.
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by CookieRevised on 10-08-2009 at 10:33 AM

It is physically impossible for the webcam, connected via the computer to the network, to keep on functioning when the PC is turned off.

When the PC is turned off there is no power to its internal hardware and thus there is no software running. There needs to be power in order for a PC to function.
A normal webcam needs to have at least a driver running on a running operating system, this also includes RAM. When the PC is off there is no OS running, there is no RAM, there is no driver. None of these means no picture...

Note that turning a PC off might take a while (especially if updates are being installed), in which during that time a webcam picture may continue to broadcast for a very short while.

So if it happened it very obviously means the PC was _NOT_ (yet) off at that time.

Again, it is physically (as in 'laws of nature') impossible for a webcam to function when the PC is turned off.

RE: RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-08-2009 at 10:50 AM

quote:
quote:
Check explanations 2 and 3.

too nonsense to even read them
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-08-2009 at 10:56 AM

where is the video ?

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by bradyramone on 10-08-2009 at 11:02 AM

I can't do it today because ofc i have to be at her house with my laptop to show both pcs...maybe tomorrow...
and pls stop telling me how a pc works...i know that for a webcam to work the pc has to be turned on...and just the cpu can't execute instructions by the cam's driver while it is off, not mentioning the other hardware such as the RAM too...so it is not that possible that the webcam works....

BUT I JUST SAW IT HAPPENING...i came here for an explanation for why could it happen not of how a pc works...!!! i just know how it works, and thats why i asked because i know its not possible but it just happened... and if you have no idea of why it happened then don't blame me that I dont know what i am talking about...just dont say anything

thanks

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by toddy on 10-08-2009 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by classic toddy
|-)

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Menthix on 10-08-2009 at 12:00 PM

quote:
BUT I JUST SAW IT HAPPENING...i came here for an explanation for why could it happen not of how a pc works...!
So you are saying you came here to have us explain to you how something you already know is technically impossible happened?

More realistically: Her PC just wasn't off. Maybe she thought it was off but she just turned off the monitor.

BTW: This whole thread seems to be just about how the cam was still sending video. But before the cam can even send video over Messenger you need to be signed in to Messenger, which requires a powered on PC to constantly keep the connection alive. Even an IP-based cam directly plugged into the network wouldn't be able to do that.

quote:
You are not. You weren't even in the same room as the PC which was supposedly off. She could easily be messing with you or she simply thought it was off while it wasn't. Both far more reasonable explanations then the one you're suggesting which involves a PC breaking the laws of physics.

quote:
i will tell her to do this again and i will record it on video and show it to you!!
A video of what? Like a splitscreen of her being in her room turning her PC off and a screencast of your screen? And that whould prove what? That you can copy/paste 2 videos together? A video won't convince any skeptical person.
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by Spunky on 10-08-2009 at 02:00 PM

Occam's Razor...

RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by djdannyp on 10-08-2009 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Occam's Razor...

(Y)
RE: VERY strange...webcam on with pc off by segosa on 10-08-2009 at 09:45 PM

This entire thread makes me sad.