Shoutbox

So.. what's your major? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: So.. what's your major? (/showthread.php?tid=92546)

So.. what's your major? by Rolando on 10-10-2009 at 09:49 PM

Meh, seeing the comments on a different thread made me wonder.

I'm pre-med & minor in creative writing. How about everyone else? I'm thinking most of you are Computer Science majors or something of the sort :P

RE: So.. what's your major? by Mnjul on 10-10-2009 at 09:50 PM

Yeah, I majored in Computer Science and got a bachelor's degree for it, and am now majoring in...eh, Computer Science again, for a master degree. :p

RE: So.. what's your major? by Ezra on 10-10-2009 at 10:49 PM

I'm doing Interactive Media major and hopefully a minor Game Design.

RE: So.. what's your major? by Discrate on 10-10-2009 at 11:03 PM

What's a major?

RE: So.. what's your major? by Rolando on 10-10-2009 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
What's a major?

... your degree? But I'm guessing you're not in college yet.
RE: RE: So.. what's your major? by Discrate on 10-11-2009 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
quote:
What's a major?

We don't call them "majors" as far as i know, that's why i didn't know what you were talking about. Also we don't call it college we call it university lol.
RE: So.. what's your major? by NanaFreak on 10-11-2009 at 01:15 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
What's a major?

We don't call them "majors" as far as i know, that's why i didn't know what you were talking about. Also we don't call it college we call it university lol.
we do call them majors =p and yea, university... im planning on doing some kinda of Electrical Engineering (in computers) for for degree next year...
RE: So.. what's your major? by lizard.boy on 10-11-2009 at 01:59 AM

Working towards a B. Sc. in Computer Science.

RE: So.. what's your major? by Jarrod on 10-11-2009 at 04:24 AM

doing my diploma in IT majoring in networking, uni when I'm finished

RE: So.. what's your major? by Felu on 10-11-2009 at 05:34 AM

* Felu has still got 2˝ years of school left :sad:

RE: So.. what's your major? by Volv on 10-11-2009 at 06:17 AM

Double majoring in Accounting and Finance. I should graduate in exactly 2 weeks *fingers crossed*

RE: So.. what's your major? by ipab on 10-11-2009 at 07:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

Where do you go to school?

As far as my undergrad major goes:
Computer Engineering :)
RE: So.. what's your major? by user35870 on 10-11-2009 at 10:43 AM

Doing Computer Science [BSc Hons].

RE: RE: So.. what's your major? by lizard.boy on 10-11-2009 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

Where do you go to school?

As far as my undergrad major goes:
Computer Engineering :)

UOIT in Oshawa, Ontario.
RE: So.. what's your major? by Vilkku on 10-11-2009 at 01:58 PM

Major in information systems, minor in computer science, going for masters.

RE: So.. what's your major? by Chancer on 10-11-2009 at 02:00 PM

I'm studying electric/electronic engineering.

RE: So.. what's your major? by blessedguy on 10-11-2009 at 05:05 PM

[offtopic]

quote:
We call majors "Faculdade", while the colleges are "Universidades", and to get the confusion worse, schools are called "Colégios" :chrongue:
[offtopic over]

Will start majoring in computer science, to get bachelor's degree, as soon as the government lets me or school is over (+1 and half year), which comes first.
RE: So.. what's your major? by Tochjo on 10-11-2009 at 05:09 PM

Mathematics.

RE: So.. what's your major? by wacky on 10-11-2009 at 09:05 PM

Environmental and Wildlife Management. AKA Bioecology

RE: So.. what's your major? by djdannyp on 10-11-2009 at 09:59 PM

Graduated almost a year and a half ago with a BA Hons in English & Sports Science

RE: So.. what's your major? by Lt.Col.DraGon on 10-11-2009 at 10:21 PM

Half way done thru college.. majoring in Information Systems Management

RE: So.. what's your major? by warmth on 10-12-2009 at 02:04 AM

I am already an electronic engineer but I am doing my major in mechatronics right now...

RE: So.. what's your major? by CookieRevised on 10-13-2009 at 12:34 AM

Although I went to university for 3 years, I don't have a bachelor/master degree (although back in that time the degrees were called different) because it was dead boring and not the stuff I wanted todo and I was usually too busy with other things (like enjoying the student life a bit too much at times). I did Computer Science btw.

The degree I do have is simply the degree from highschool: Industrial Science (although in the last year I only went to school for like 6 months because of severe illness. I did most work at home).

So there, you're all smarter than me :p

RE: So.. what's your major? by Chrono on 10-13-2009 at 12:54 AM

im an industrial engineer and im about to get my master degree in operations management, my thesis's taken a while (A) but bleh.

RE: RE: So.. what's your major? by Joa on 10-13-2009 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Although I went to university for 3 years, I don't have a bachelor/master degree (although back in that time the degrees were called different) because it was dead boring and not the stuff I wanted todo and I was usually too busy with other things (like enjoying the student life a bit too much at times). I did Computer Science btw.

The degree I do have is simply the degree from highschool: Industrial Science (although in the last year I only went to school for like 6 months because of severe illness. I did most work at home).

wisdom > knowledge

sure the people that have majors and master degrees have a lot of knowledge, but it is in how you apply it in the real world that counts... that takes experience and skill. that application is wisdom...
i'm not saying people who have degrees are not wise, but in all honesty you can be just as wise without schooling - and with independent learning (you just don't have a diploma to show off).

also, real "smartness" is in how you present yourself to the world. if you act like an ass, or a know-it-all... without leaving room for doubt, or not taking into consideration that there may be another answer to something, you are not very smart imo. everything has at least two sides (well.. i'm not talking about math :refuck: ... although if you philosophize you might come up with the idea that since it is "man found" there is margin for error there too, we just are incapable of seeing it or accepting it, it is beyond our comprehension).

anyway yeah. /end of random stuff

my major was psychology and english literature.
currently i'm studying early childhood education, and hopefully getting a job and going back to uni part-time to finish psych and getting a masters in early childhood ed.
we'll see :P .. i like studying, so i might change it to something else later.. like social work or w/e... or a resource teaching degree 8-)
RE: So.. what's your major? by NanaFreak on 10-13-2009 at 06:37 AM

quote:
thats just not possible!

but its just like Joa said... and you may even have more knowledge than someone who has done a degree... just you havent got the paper to prove it... but you can show it with your epicness!
RE: So.. what's your major? by Veggie on 10-13-2009 at 11:31 AM

I recently graduated with:
Masters of Mechanical Engineering with Robotics

RE: So.. what's your major? by Volv on 10-13-2009 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
quote:
thats just not possible!

but its just like Joa said... and you may even have more knowledge than someone who has done a degree... just you havent got the paper to prove it... but you can show it with your epicness!
When a monkey can get 'the paper' it doesn't prove anything, and trust me, I've seen some real monkeys.
RE: So.. what's your major? by CookieRevised on 10-13-2009 at 02:05 PM

yeah, personally I never put any big value to those titles and 'pieces of paper' and find 'real world experience' and selfeducation more of a value. It is as Joa and Volv said.

Nevertheless, I'm very suprised in the positive way and find it extremely cool to hear all those degrees. All I can say is: wow! Extremely well done. Respect to all of you!

RE: So.. what's your major? by Rolando on 10-13-2009 at 05:46 PM

quote:
yeah, personally I never put any big value to those titles and 'pieces of paper' and find 'real world experience' and selfeducation more of a value. It is as Joa and Volv said.

Nevertheless, I'm very surprised in the positive way and find it extremely cool to hear all those degrees. All I can say is: wow! Extremely well done. Respect to all of you!

I think both of them matter, at least in some careers- of course real world experience matters a lot. 10% of the world billionaires drop out/never attended college though, so you're in good company :P.

(Like, a degree in medicine.. you can't get real world experience w/out a degree, and you shouldn't :p.... A degree in the culinary arts, well, I think that's kinda silly. They don't even have those in Venezuela.. but here in the US they have a degree for basically everything)
RE: So.. what's your major? by Chrono on 10-14-2009 at 03:14 AM

quote:

I think both of them matter, at least in some careers-
True. Experience in real life situations may be the most important thing, after all you cant recreate all that stuff at university :P.

Still, "the piece of paper" is needed and is a must in many careers, were you need to make sure that the guy knows what he says he knows :P (as Rolando stated, medicine is an example). If you think you can learn by yourself and avoid university, good, but it will be harder for you to find a good job, unless it doesn't require such a specialization or you wanna be your own boss :P.
RE: So.. what's your major? by warmth on 10-14-2009 at 03:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
I recently graduated with:
Masters of Mechanical Engineering with Robotics
:D that's nice...
RE: So.. what's your major? by djdannyp on 10-14-2009 at 08:52 AM

The degree subject is usually largely unrelated to any future career...it's only things like medicine/engineering/law where it really matters.

My degree was English & Sports Science and I'm now an IT Technician, which is based largely on the experience I got working as an Student Computer Officer in my Halls of Residence.

Getting the degree just shows your capacity for learning and for self sufficiency, etc....yet another pointless hoop to jump through in terms of getting a career, but it was a priceless social experience, made some friends who will be friends for life.

RE: So.. what's your major? by bio_hazard13 on 10-14-2009 at 11:51 PM

Just started earlier this year my PhD in astrophysics, after finsihing Honours last year

RE: So.. what's your major? by scarlet0906 on 10-26-2009 at 05:34 PM

I'm a Communication Arts major. I want to be a successful critically acclaimed movie director someday. I am also dreaming of becoming the president or owner of the best Advertising Agency someday. I just love my major because I am able to use all my talents and skills like directing, video graphing, and editing. Besides, I'm an avid fan of movies. My room is filled with DVD movies. I just feel relax and happy every time i am watching a movie.:)

RE: So.. what's your major? by John Anderton on 10-26-2009 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
* Felu has still got 2˝ years of school left :sad:
go away kiddo.. :P
* John Anderton throws Felu into a box and ships him back

I am a Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology (or so they tell me :))