Shoutbox

need a cheaper alternative - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: need a cheaper alternative (/showthread.php?tid=92562)

need a cheaper alternative by Jarrod on 10-12-2009 at 08:02 AM

so I had a problem, that is I have a 1.5tb usb2 drive but I want it on the network. so I did some searching and came up with the

NetComm NP3680 - Multi-Function Print Server NP3680
Addonics USB NAS adapter
SimpleNET NAS Head USB 2.0 Portable Dongle
NAS USB Network Storage Adapter Dongle UPnP FTP Server(here)

so I need links to anything similar that I can buy in australia for the lowest price, I but if there is a product that say it has better file system support I might go for that,
I'm currently @ about 88 for the one off ebay but if you have similar products or know of somewhere that I can get a cheaper unit it would be appreciated :)

RE: need a cheaper alternative by lizard.boy on 10-17-2009 at 03:40 PM

If you have a spare computer lying around stick the drive in that and use FreeNAS. Just a suggestion, maybe not the most economical or elegant depending on your situation.

RE: need a cheaper alternative by Jarrod on 10-17-2009 at 09:48 PM

that would be good but i'm short on computers and parts atm so it'll be cheaper for me to get the adapter

RE: need a cheaper alternative by YourNeibour on 10-18-2009 at 05:42 PM

remember you get what you pay for.

RE: need a cheaper alternative by rav0 on 10-24-2009 at 12:59 AM

Plug it into your favourite computer, and let that share it with the network. Very cheap.

RE: need a cheaper alternative by Jarrod on 10-24-2009 at 02:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Plug it into your favourite computer, and let that share it with the network. Very cheap.
that's hardly a solution since none of the computers stay on 24/7 and they are mainly laptops imagine one of those attached to a laptop you like to move around the house :P