Shoutbox

How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? (/showthread.php?tid=92636)

How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by alegator on 10-20-2009 at 09:33 PM

Hello, I'm currently running a WinXP Pro SP3 PC as Administrator with full rights&privileges and just added a 2nd limited user that will be using this same PC. The PC has a main drive (the C drive) and a 2nd internal hard drive. I want to prevent the limited user from accessing/seeing the 2nd drive. I understand that the way to do this is by logging in as administrator, right click the 2nd drive icon in My Computer, go to "Sharing and Security...", and enabling the "Make this folder private" box. However, when I do this I see the "Make this folder private" box greyed out (inactive). How can I fix this? Mabe the associated Service that enables this function is disabled? If so, which Service adds this funcionality? Thanks.

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by blessedguy on 10-20-2009 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
and enabling the "Make this folder private" box. However, when I do this I see the "Make this folder private" box greyed out (inactive)
Isn't that for local networks?
RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by toddy on 10-20-2009 at 10:17 PM

http://tinyurl.com/yzrdk9x

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by MeEtc on 10-20-2009 at 11:25 PM

if you use seperate user accounts under XP, just set the drive to only be accessable by your username. And of course, set a password for your account.

That's the only way I see it being possible, as the permissions are user-based

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Adeptus on 10-21-2009 at 01:26 AM

quote:
when I do this I see the "Make this folder private" box greyed out (inactive). How can I fix this?
You can't.  That feature is only for files and folders under your user profile (e.g. My Documents).

MeEtc has the right idea, although I'd prefer to leave the permissions to the "Administrators" group instead of granting them to a specific user.  That should suffice, as you indicated the other user is not an administrator.

If you don't see the "Security" tab, follow the instructions here.  On the "Security" tab, you should already see "Administrators" having "full control".  All you need to do is remove permissions for "Authenticated Users" and/or "Users".

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by alegator on 10-21-2009 at 01:31 AM

Thanks everyone for their replies. I found this free Microsoft program very cool for controlling all user permissions and settings. It's very user friendly:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfami...ccess/default.mspx

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Jarrod on 10-21-2009 at 02:31 AM

and you didn't just use policies because?

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by ipab on 10-21-2009 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
and you didn't just use policies because?

quote:
It's very user friendly:
RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Jarrod on 10-21-2009 at 05:13 AM

your a windows user you should be used to user unfriendly-ness,
installing software to do something so trivial seems silly and can really just bog down your computer
[Image: attachment.php?pid=977732]

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Th3rmal on 10-21-2009 at 05:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
your a windows user you should be used to user unfriendly-ness,
installing software to do something so trivial seems silly and can really just bog down your computer
[Image: attachment.php?pid=977732]
tbh if he doesnt know about Group Policies, then he probably shouldnt be using it, especially if theres a much simpler program from Microsoft which allows him to do the same thing. And it would probably be marginally easier to do it with the program anyway.
RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Jarrod on 10-21-2009 at 05:44 AM

according to wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SteadyState ) the program is predominantly an interface to the gpedit snap-in anyway

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Th3rmal on 10-21-2009 at 06:08 AM

So why deal with all that stuff yourself and risk screwing something up when a much more understandable version from M$ is ready to download?

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by Jarrod on 10-21-2009 at 06:36 AM

I guess if you want that kind of interface it's decent but if it were me I would have rathered doing the policies myself since i don't need all this extra software t just builds up

RE: How to prevent limited user from accessing 2nd drive? by alegator on 10-21-2009 at 02:42 PM

Jarrod, thanks for your suggestion to use gpedit.msc . I'm not familiar with the options provided by XP's Administrative Tools, that's why instead of probably messing up my PC's settings I chose SteadyState whose interface is a no brainer. Additionally, it's a very light program with no system impact (it adds two entries to the startup and a Windows Service, all of which can be disabled without affecting its functionality).