Shoutbox

Retrieving a background out of a skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Retrieving a background out of a skin (/showthread.php?tid=92660)

Retrieving a background out of a skin by K_I_R_E_E_K on 10-23-2009 at 02:34 PM

Is it possible to extract a background of a skin or elements of a skin when the file itself is a dll?

I saw someone that had an old skin but it had an amazing background that i would love to insert into the skin i have now, but unfortunatly that person doesn't have the images anymore and says that "dll skinning is currently impossible atm"

So is there a way at all?

RE: Retrieving a background out of a skin by CookieRevised on 10-23-2009 at 02:56 PM

1) yes, it is always possible to extract stuff like that from a DLL. All you need is a resource editor/extractor like Resource Hacker or PE Explorer.

2) It is very possible to use a DLL instead of seperate files to skin Messenger using Messenger Plus! Live. It is simply not done a lot. But there is nothing which would make it impossble, it has always been supported from the start.

3) You should never use stuff created by others without the original author's explicit consent.

:)

RE: Retrieving a background out of a skin by K_I_R_E_E_K on 10-23-2009 at 10:51 PM

I'm not going to create anything, i have a skin but the backgrounds can me custom made and so i like one that is on another skin, simple as that.

Well in that case i will give it a try.
thanks

RE: Retrieving a background out of a skin by CookieRevised on 10-25-2009 at 07:09 PM

That's my point: you should not use data (that backround in this case) made by somebody else without the explicit consent of the author.;)

RE: Retrieving a background out of a skin by K_I_R_E_E_K on 10-26-2009 at 11:33 PM

I asked the author for it, he doesn't have it anymore, but he was nice enough to give me a psd file with some hexagons (it's in the background), from there and by watching the original background i made my own.

Topic can be closed :D