Shoutbox

[REQ] MP!L Logs + icons + voice clips - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: [REQ] MP!L Logs + icons + voice clips (/showthread.php?tid=92751)

[REQ] MP!L Logs + icons + voice clips by V@no on 11-01-2009 at 01:55 AM

Hello!
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I might have overlooked for an existing topic.

I'm using MP!L Log viewer all the time and two things that really bothers me are:

1) icons are saved as .png images which means all animations are gone, also the same icon is saved under individual file, which only wastes space - if message contains :):):):):):):):):):) MP!L will create 10 individual images, rather then copy the icon and link to it in the logs, perhaps name the icon filename with CRC or MD5 of it's content would solve the problem...

2) voice clips are not saved.

The 1) issue is beyond my understanding, why it was done that way in first place (with all due respect, IMO it's dumb)

The 2) issue is perhaps a feature request. I'm using voice clips all the time and the chat log become useless without hearing the clips...

Would be nice have this two "issues" corrected in future versions.

Thank you.

RE: [REQ] MPL! Logs + icons + voice clips by Spunky on 11-01-2009 at 02:50 AM

1) It creates multiple copies as it would be difficult to compare every emoticon for similarities.

2) WLM doesn't save these either... I don't think it should be up to MP!L, but I'm sure it could be done, depending on the location of the temp files.

RE: [REQ] MPL! Logs + icons + voice clips by Menthix on 11-01-2009 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
1) It creates multiple copies as it would be difficult to compare every emoticon for similarities
Could save with a hash as filename like he suggests, wouldn't be hard. And IMO emoticons are small enough, and used infrequent enough, to not have hashing slow it down.
RE: [REQ] MPL! Logs + icons + voice clips by V@no on 11-01-2009 at 02:57 AM

Thank you for the reply.

1) it doesn't have to compare anything, all it would require a checksum of the file or MD5 hash and use it for the filename, or even use the same filename as the actual filename of the icon in WLM, if such file already exists in logs, then voala, no need a new file...

2) yeah, well, I thought it could be done by using the same routine that saves images for the logs...

RE: [REQ] MP!L Logs + icons + voice clips by CookieRevised on 11-01-2009 at 02:41 PM

1) At least emoticons aren't 100Kb files, so not much harm is done at the moment with all the multiple savings, but still, you have a good point V@no... :p It indeed could maybe be done in a better way. Using a hash in the name would indeed be a logical choice I think.

2)

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
2) WLM doesn't save these either... I don't think it should be up to MP!L, but I'm sure it could be done, depending on the location of the temp files.
WLM doesn't log anything else except text either, which is the number one reason to use Plus! logging. If voice clips are used, it is kind of normal and logic to expect them to be saved in Plus! html logs in some way too, just like custom emoticons, handwriting, etc. Whether it is or isn't technically possible is another matter. I hope it is only a matter of time when other rich content used in chats, like voice clips, sounds, even video, is also saved. It seems like the logical next step for Plus! logging...