Shoutbox

Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive (/showthread.php?tid=92752)

Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by inoesomestuff on 11-01-2009 at 05:59 AM

Hi,
I recently reformatted + installed newest version of everything and I noticed that my old msgplus settings were incompatible with the new msgplus!live. Is there a way to convert it  or new way to import?

Thanks

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by CookieRevised on 11-01-2009 at 01:01 PM

What do you mean by 'old settings'?
From what version are those 'old settings'?
And you do mean settings from Messenger Plus!, not from MSN Messenger, correct?

If you mean Messenger Plus! 3, then you can install Messenger Plus! Live and it will automatically migrate the existing settings (the ones which can be migrated) to the new version.

Note that not all settings are compatible though. So you should go to the Preferences & Options anyways, and checking every single option, after installing Messenger Plus! Live. This also makes that you know what options there are, as there a lot of new features.

Afterwards you can uninstall Messenger Plus! 3.

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by Spunky on 11-01-2009 at 01:09 PM

In addition to what Cookie said, if you reformatted, there is nothing on the disk to import or migrate and so you have to startover from scratch

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by inoesomestuff on 11-01-2009 at 07:51 PM

i ment the *.pld file that you get when you export settings

would it be possible to install msgplus and then import the settings then "upgrade" to msgplus!live and have the settings kept? I mostly just want some of the autotexts that i had but dont know if there is a way to just extract information out of the .pld file

would i have to downgrade to msn v8.x to do this?

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by CookieRevised on 11-02-2009 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by inoesomestuff
would i have to downgrade to msn v8.x to do this?
No, that will not work. Messenger Plus! 3 does not support anything higher than MSN Messenger 7.0.

-----------

Ok, I started to write instructions but it ended up being very complex because there are a lot of unknowns and possibilities.

So, first things first, some questions:

1) What is your current Windows version?

2) If you are on Windows XP, do you have Windows Messenger installed?
It should be in C:\Program Files\Messenger.

3) What is the current version of MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger you have installed at this moment?

4) What is the current version of Messenger Plus! you have installed at this moment?

5) What settings do you want to be converted?
Is it only the QuickTexts or do you want any other settings?
If it is only QuickTexts it would become a bit easier.
Note that it is not possible to automatically migrate all the settings anyways.

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by inoesomestuff on 11-08-2009 at 11:10 PM

sorry for the late reply.
i am currently on xp, windows messenger is installed but disabled (i believe i used xp-antispy to disable/remove it). I have the program files folder but it is empty.
I have plus! version (4.83.0.372)
I have wlm version installed (14.x.726)

I would like quicktext and also autoaway if possible.

Thanks

edit: they just forced me to update wlm.
edit2: also just updated plus! because of a nag screen

RE: Importing old settings (pre-WLM) for msgpluslive by inoesomestuff on 11-30-2009 at 03:07 AM

bump?