Shoutbox

under file transfer, which path to use to scan? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: under file transfer, which path to use to scan? (/showthread.php?tid=92775)

under file transfer, which path to use to scan? by torontomikey on 11-03-2009 at 09:00 AM

Hi everyone,  Re: Scanning file transfers in Windows Live Messenger. I'm using Avira AntiVir Personal and need to know which path to use? When I click on browse and select the Avira folder there are 17 options? I'm assuming the right path is this one: "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avscan.exe" if not, then "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe" Appreciate your help and advice -Thanks, Mike

RE: under file transfer, which path to use to scan? by djdannyp on 11-03-2009 at 10:15 AM

I'd imagine it will be the avscan.exe as you suspected.  The second one is most likely the background process that runs to protect the computer rather than the virus scanning utility itself

RE: under file transfer, which path to use to scan? by CookieRevised on 11-03-2009 at 12:56 PM

Seeing you ask this question to what executable to use, I suspect you are not very familiar with this anti-virus or even with handling files in Windows.

So, I very strongly suggest you first read the instructions and help files of Avira AntiVir Personal, specifically how to use the command line functions.

It might, or then again, it might not be as easy as simply selecting avscan.exe. It might involve all kinds of needed parameters etc... (if it even has them! It might well be that Avira does not even offer command line scanning).

I'm not familiar with it either. So either read the help files yourself, or wait for somebody who does know this anti-virus (and does not need to guess) and has used the command line scanning tool (if it exist).

;)

RE: under file transfer, which path to use to scan? by prashker on 11-03-2009 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It might involve all kinds of needed parameters etc...
Not with Avira AntiVir :p

Like djdannyp said, avscan.exe should work, without any added parameters to the options dialog.
RE: under file transfer, which path to use to scan? by torontomikey on 11-03-2009 at 11:24 PM

thanks everyone, that is the setting I was using and thought I should and sonicsam, hi I'm gay too :P