Shoutbox

MSN New version due to security.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: MSN New version due to security.... (/showthread.php?tid=92808)

MSN New version due to security.... by murko on 11-06-2009 at 12:21 AM

I cant log on to MSN! I get an alert telling me to install new version (the newest version that I hate) .... due to a security issue ......

http://www.windowslive.com/Desktop/Messenger/Upgr...OS=Win&Version=8.5

(in swedish for me, so maybe have to edit the link)

I am using (8.5 .1302. 1018 ) and I want to still be using 8.5.....................

What shall I do?

I still want my msgPlusLive to work as before :)
and look as before.....

RE: MSN New version due to security.... by djdannyp on 11-06-2009 at 12:27 AM

They're telling you to upgrade it for a reason.  Your computer will be insecure if you continue to use an old version of Messenger.

The latest Messenger Plus! Live works completely with the newest version of Windows Live Messenger, so you won't be losing any of its features.

RE: RE: MSN New version due to security.... by murko on 11-06-2009 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
They're telling you to upgrade it for a reason.  Your computer will be insecure if you continue to use an old version of Messenger.

The latest Messenger Plus! Live works completely with the newest version of Windows Live Messenger, so you won't be losing any of its features.

Thanks! The last part was what I needed to hear :)

About the first part, its pretty obvious this is only a way to more or less "force us" to use the latter versions. I mean any security issues has to be fixable right? Are they just getting tired of fixing old versions? They still put out fixes for Win 95 :)

No, this is a conspiracy I tell you  *not 100% ironic remark* ....... I HATE.. no... I DESPISE the latest version of msn =(!
RE: MSN New version due to security.... by roytam1 on 11-06-2009 at 01:56 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=92806
happy hacking ;-)

RE: MSN New version due to security.... by Menthix on 11-06-2009 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by murko
its pretty obvious this is only a way to more or less "force us" to use the latter versions. I mean any security issues has to be fixable right?
Yes it is fixable, which is exactly what they did, in the latest version, like ANY software creator would do.

Windows 95 has been unsupported by Microsoft for years, if it's still getting new updates (not the ones they released years ago and are just still available), that's just because because they fix they made is OS-independent.
RE: RE: MSN New version due to security.... by murko on 11-06-2009 at 02:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roytam1
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=92806
happy hacking ;-)
Works like clockwork =)

Thanks!
RE: MSN New version due to security.... by Hank on 11-06-2009 at 02:39 AM

your still using a unsecure windows Live Messenger, you better hope you dont get hacked

RE: MSN New version due to security.... by skarz on 11-06-2009 at 03:03 AM

Okay, and I using Windows LIVE messenger
Or the Windows 9 or whatever?
Seriously, its annoying the heck out of me!
Help me out, because I can't change the Scheme, its too bright and its litterly giving me a headache

RE: MSN New version due to security.... by Hank on 11-06-2009 at 04:12 AM

to change the Scheme  just below the X button you'lll see a thing fold.. ..click on that an you'll be able to change it

RE: MSN New version due to security.... by Chris4 on 11-06-2009 at 07:31 AM

Tools > Change your scene.

Have a look in the skins database.

RE: RE: RE: MSN New version due to security.... by CookieRevised on 11-06-2009 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by murko
About the first part, its pretty obvious this is only a way to more or less "force us" to use the latter versions. I mean any security issues has to be fixable right? Are they just getting tired of fixing old versions? They still put out fixes for Win 95 :)
Sorry but you are wrong.

When Microsoft says there is an important security fix they mean it. They never ever joke about that.

Second, yes, they did fix the security issue in Windows Live Messenger 2009, hence the new version!

As for MSN Messenger. Because of the unique setup of Messenger, this sometimes means that it can not be fix in older versions without completely upgrading to a newer version.

Messenger is not a simple standalone program. It very intensivly uses the internet and there are a lot of things going on between Messenger and the Messenger servers in order to let it do what it does. Sometimes, if a security issue is discovered in the (old) protocol for example, it can not always be solved by simply applying some small fixes in just the code.

Together with that, yes, they are gradually stopping support for older versions. That is something they (and other companies) always have done. It takes a lot of people to maintain a single version. It takes twice that much people and money to constantly maintain and fix two versions. It makes little to no sense to have a full blown team constantly working on a depricted, already cripple and bug riddled version.

Almost everybody hates it when a forced upgrade is done. But the fact remains that when a forced upgrade is done it is with very good reasons and almost always involves big security issues.

The new version isn't that bad at all. Yes it looks a bit different, but the thing most people complain about is actually the change itself, not much else. You see this happening everytime a new version comes out. (It is also similar to the upgrade from win98 to XP, from XP to Vista, etc). Yet, after a while everybody has accepted it and even nobody wants to go back! The same happens with Messenger. Everybody complained after the change from 6.x to 7.x. But after a while nobody complained anymore and actually loved it. Again the same with 7.x to 8.x, etc...

Many people simply hate changing stuff which, at the surface, works for them. But that does not mean that under the hood a lot of things are malfunctioning. Of course, people don't see this.

Anyways... point is: there is a very good (security) reason for the upgrade...

Trying to trick Messenger to keep on using the old version will only backfire at you later on. In fact, it actually makes it much harder to fix bugs! So you are actually also damaging other people.

I'll sush now...