Shoutbox

Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? (/showthread.php?tid=92876)

Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by ynohtna on 11-09-2009 at 06:13 PM

Hi all,

Surprised this one never got reported by anyone.

I have some Display Picture that when opened by Messenger opens fine, but when the Display picture changer goes through it, it opens it pixelated/blurry.

Anyone experience anything similar or know a reason?

Thanks!

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by matty on 11-09-2009 at 08:02 PM

They are using an image that is being stretched to 96x96 pixels?

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by ynohtna on 11-10-2009 at 12:31 AM

I am using 96x96 images... I format my images to that exact dimension so there is no stretching/processing of any kind.

It's weird... if use MSN to select the picture for my display picture it looks fine.  If I use the display picture changer script, some of the images, that look ok when manually set, look blurry.

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by MeEtc on 11-10-2009 at 03:40 AM

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but try unchecking this option if it is checked:
Tools > Options > Sign In > "Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in."

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by ynohtna on 11-10-2009 at 04:25 AM

Hmm didn't help and I closed/reopened messenger.... weird...

further investigation seems to be resulting that files from my Nikon D5000, in raw format, converted to JPG with Adobe Camera Raw, is what giving me the issue.

Odd.

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by CookieRevised on 11-10-2009 at 09:32 AM

It's not that odd though...

The JPG file structure can contain thumbnails.

Some graphical programs have bugs in them or can't realy deal with JPGs (or TIFFs) which have other pictures (like thumbnails) embedded in them. The same goes for scripts or other tools. Some can't deal with the extra meta data (also known as EXIF data).

Another common problem, with the same issue,  is when some programs convert images to JPG. Some don't realy write proper JPG files or embed very strange incompatible structures. And as such, when those files are opened, the wrong image is read (eg: the thumbnail instead of the true image).

I suggest you use another converter or editor to convert or edit your images.

;)

RE: Display Picture Changer 1.3 Occasional blurry/pixelated pic? by ynohtna on 11-10-2009 at 05:16 PM

thanks for the info!

My fix was a while back now anyways, :) I stopped taking RAW format.  All the picture editing I seem to ever need to do, I do fine with JPG.  Overall just easier for me to work with anyways.