Shoutbox

ADSL2+ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: ADSL2+ (/showthread.php?tid=92961)

ADSL2+ by Spunky on 11-18-2009 at 07:00 PM

I've always been wondering why my Internet speed is quite slow (well, considering it should be upto 20Mb/s). Well, today I found out :(

I've run speed tests and found I was only getting 5Mb/s. I've tried other filters for the phone line to try and reduce noise; no change. I'm smack bang in the middle of three exchanges (not that it makes much difference, I'm about 1Km from all of them), but still only get relatively low speeds.

The problem, as it turns out, is that the exchange we use from our address doesn't have ADSL2+ enabled yet :(

It will be enabled (hopefully) by 30th March 2010, which means 24Mb/s+ speeds (although I'm only on a 20Mb/s connection now) :D

Theoretical speeds of 3MB/s :D That's under 5 minutes for a downloaded 750MB film.

This may not seem much, especially with cable already offering upto 50Mb/s, but I live in a cable "black hole". It surrounds my town, but hasn't been implemented in it yet ^o).

Why am I so bothered? Why am I posting this? Well, shouldn't ADSL2+ been rolled out already? It's called 21CN for a reason. I want, no demand, to be receiving download speeds that I pay for! Getting a quarter of what I should isn't acceptable. If the lower speeds weren't bandwidth capped I would have changed down to a lower price plan. Why was I offered such speeds when the ISP knows perfectly well I can't receive it no matter what technology I use?

If I could be bothered I'd write a complaint, because if you receive a certain percentage less than you pay for, there is a regulation in place to prevent it. What good would it do though? Would I get money back? Would it be MY fault for not checking in advance before paying for the service? Or would the fact that my monthly bandwidth has been above the capped limit of the lower price plans mean that I would have needed 16Mb anyway and so would not be entitled to anything?

Has anyone here ever had a problem like this and what did you do? I think it's rediculous...

But at least it's only for 3 more months :P

[/rant]

RE: ADSL2+ by toddy on 11-18-2009 at 07:13 PM

virgin(cable) do a 100mb connection now :p

RE: ADSL2+ by Menthix on 11-18-2009 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
It will be enabled (hopefully) by 30th March 2010, which means 24Mb/s+ speeds (although I'm only on a 20Mb/s connection now)
Your ADSL2+ speed will still very much rely on how good and far your connection to the exchange is. If you're getting 5Mbit on an ADSL(1) line now which theoretically is capable of reaching 12Mbit, I very much doubt you get anywhere close to 20Mbit. Also: make sure your modem/router is capable of ADSL2 speeds.

It seems very late for an exchange still having to switch to ADSL2 hardware, but it probably differs per country. But back when I went to an ADSL2 plan my exchange wasn't capable of it yet either with no indication when it would be. Turned out my exchange was almost the last one in the Netherlands to switch (or at least felt like it) and waited almost a year, paying the same as the others on the same plan who already were on a ADSL2 exchange.

Doubt complaining will work. In my case they were pretty upfront about the issue. But I guess in your case even when they didn't directly inform you about it, there probably is a section in your terms somewhere stating you get up to the speed of your plan where and when possible. Because the exchange points are not directly in control of the ISP they can't guarantee your speed or when the exchange gets converted.
RE: ADSL2+ by NanaFreak on 11-18-2009 at 09:43 PM

i pay $65.95 for ADSL1 (1500Kb/s) which includes 20GB onpeak download (8am-2am) and unlimited offpeak (2am-8am) but because my exchange hasnt got ADSL2+ with my ISP yet i cant get the cheaper plan that is the same caps but 24Mb/s for $49.95...

atleast you know when you are getting yours... my ISP says "we dont have a schedule of when the exchange will be upgraded"

RE: ADSL2+ by toddy on 11-18-2009 at 10:00 PM

you're getting ripped off, mine is $41 for 10Mb which i thought was bad enough (cap is about 5GB a day between 4pm & 11pm, even then all they do is reduce your speed if you go over, rather then charge. rest of the day unlimited).
least its cable, so stays at 10Mb all the time :) unlike adsl which i've had in the past. which always gave me a massive range of speed

RE: ADSL2+ by Spunky on 11-18-2009 at 10:49 PM

£10 for 20Mb :p

RE: ADSL2+ by Chancer on 11-19-2009 at 12:12 AM

quote:
R$90 for 3Mb. ~3 times more expensive for 15% of the speed.

RE: RE: ADSL2+ by Hank on 11-19-2009 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
i pay $65.95 for ADSL1 (1500Kb/s) which includes 20GB onpeak download (8am-2am) and unlimited offpeak (2am-8am) but because my exchange hasnt got ADSL2+ with my ISP yet i cant get the cheaper plan that is the same caps but 24Mb/s for $49.95...

atleast you know when you are getting yours... my ISP says "we dont have a schedule of when the exchange will be upgraded"
what ISP are you with ?  im in Aussie an use Bigpond ( maybe changing early jan to internode ) but i pay $90 on ADSL2+ .. iinet dont have a exchange around me or i'd go to there Naked DSL plans
RE: ADSL2+ by NanaFreak on 11-19-2009 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak

what ISP are you with ?  im in Aussie an use Bigpond ( maybe changing early jan to internode ) but i pay $90 on ADSL2+ .. iinet dont have a exchange around me or i'd go to there Naked DSL plans
AAPT is where its at [=

internode and iinet and tpg are alright, but they still dont work as well as AAPT... and the AAPT plan beats all if you can get ADSL2+
RE: ADSL2+ by Hank on 11-19-2009 at 02:15 AM

i didnt even know AAPT did internet. thought they only did phone.

RE: ADSL2+ by MeEtc on 11-19-2009 at 02:29 AM

15Mbps, peak 1700kb/s, no caps or throttles (upload is throttled for p2p) for about $40. :banana:

[Image: download.jpg]

RE: ADSL2+ by Menthix on 11-19-2009 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
no caps or throttles
quote:
upload is throttled for p2p
:s
RE: ADSL2+ by foaly on 11-19-2009 at 12:25 PM

50Mbit (tops @ 6200kbps) €66,- (includes digital tv and VoIP)
And completely FairUse, so no caps or throttles at all...
I guess that just gave me the largest e-penis yet (H)

RE: ADSL2+ by MeEtc on 11-19-2009 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
no caps or throttles
quote:
upload is throttled for p2p
:s
I was referring to the download isn't capped
RE: ADSL2+ by toddy on 11-19-2009 at 06:58 PM

quote:
with who?
RE: ADSL2+ by Felu on 11-20-2009 at 07:05 AM

Damn you guys.... I pay around $35 for a 1Mbps connection :( Unlimited download, though.

RE: ADSL2+ by blessedguy on 11-20-2009 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Damn you guys.... I pay around $35 for a 1Mbps connection :( Unlimited download, though.
I pay $80 for 8 thousand phone minutes + 1.5Mbps connection without limits (bah, but at 180kb/s down and 50kb/s upload, who needs limits? :chrongue: No plan has download limits around here though, which is nice for the real speedier ones =P).

Lucky you =p The best plan here since Oi (Hi) acquired Brasil Telecom is the 8Mbps one, at $35/mo. It used to be the 100Mbps at $80/mo :(