Shoutbox

Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? (/showthread.php?tid=93063)

Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Eddie on 11-29-2009 at 02:31 PM

Hello folks,

I know it's not really anything that technical but I need some suggestions / advice from you all. I am going to the UK next year, and I will be going over for exactly a month, but I am not sure whether to hire a car or just use public transport for everything?

Does anyone have any suggestions / advice for me, would it be wise to use public transport or would it be better to rent a car, atleast for a short while?

And being 18 years old at the time of my holiday what would the task for hiring a car in the UK be like? Around what price would I be looking at for 1 / 2 / 3 weeks?

Thanks for any help!

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by M73A on 11-29-2009 at 02:32 PM

whereabouts are you going to be located?

don't you have to be 21 to hire a car abroad?

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Phillip on 11-29-2009 at 02:40 PM

Pretty sure you have to be 20 or 21 to hire a car at most places in Australia and in the UK. I doubt anyone will lend an 18 year old from Australia their car without jacking up the price 10 fold. Public transport sounds like a more sensible option.

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by toddy on 11-29-2009 at 02:47 PM

i very much doubt you'll be able to hire a car. all the major firms are mainly 21/23/25+

and the small firms mainly suck

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Eddie on 11-29-2009 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
whereabouts are you going to be located?

don't you have to be 21 to hire a car abroad?
I am going to be located in Wrexham.

I am going to need to be in Shrewsbury nearly every day of the first week or so to spend time with the grandparents, the rest is travelling to manchester and loads of other places I didn't visit when I lived there until I was 10.
RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by toddy on 11-29-2009 at 02:52 PM

do your grandparents have a (spare) car?

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Discrate on 11-29-2009 at 03:00 PM

Isn't the uk's public transport system a maze?

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by M73A on 11-29-2009 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Isn't the uk's public transport system a maze?

i only know of london and mainline rail.

london's not to bad to get around (unless you plan on travelling at the weekend when 50% of the tubes are shut for enginerring work?!)

trains are good, I was shocked at the cost of buses outside of london though...
RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by segosa on 11-29-2009 at 03:13 PM

It depends entirely on the area.

When you arrive find out the price and/or if you can even hire a car there. Depending on this, you'll be able to make your decision.

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Eddie on 11-29-2009 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
do your grandparents have a (spare) car?
Nope, just there own car, my dad has two cars however I don't think he is willing to provide me one of them for a few weeks.

It is something I wanted to sort ASAP so I know how much money to save and things like that, because my friends are going to Bali in February and I may or may not need to massively save depending on how much this will all cost me.

If I was to use buses / trains every day how much do you guys think I would need to put away?
RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by toddy on 11-29-2009 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

If I was to use buses / trains every day how much do you guys think I would need to put away?
shit loads

best bet is borrowing a car from a family/friend, and getting them to sort out 'holiday cover' for you with there insurance company. costs like £50 a week (no matter what your age), or at least it did 3/4 years ago, and can used for up to 4 weeks a year
RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Discrate on 11-29-2009 at 04:04 PM

It's ok eddie, toddy will let you use his car won't you toddy? :cheesy:

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Eddie on 11-29-2009 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

shit loads

best bet is borrowing a car from a family/friend, and getting them to sort out 'holiday cover' for you with there insurance company. costs like £50 a week (no matter what your age), or at least it did 3/4 years ago, and can used for up to 4 weeks a year
Haha, well I will have to convince my grandparents to lend me there car but it could be difficult, but thanks buddy.
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
It's ok eddie, toddy will let you use his car won't you toddy? :cheesy:
haha!
RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by aNILEator on 12-01-2009 at 04:59 AM

should stop in at stoke for coffee and tea with me :D

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Rolando on 12-01-2009 at 05:35 AM

When I went there I used the train to get everywhere. Not really that cheap tho, but idk. I stayed in London.... and get an Oyster card. Costs like 2 pounds but you get the 2 pounds back when you return it.

RE: Holiday in UK - Car Hire or Public Transport? by Spunky on 12-01-2009 at 06:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
should stop in at stoke for coffee and tea with me :D

Pft. Where's my cup of tea or coffee? You're lucky one of the cleaning staff have just made me one mister.... :p