Shoutbox

LCD Monitor - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: LCD Monitor (/showthread.php?tid=93072)

LCD Monitor by YourNeibour on 11-30-2009 at 02:08 AM

I'm seriously considering getting a new LCD monitor what would be a good brand, I'm thinking either LG or Samsung.  What would you recommend?

thanks

RE: LCD Monitor by NanaFreak on 11-30-2009 at 02:18 AM

i love my BenQ screen... havent had a problem with it [=

RE: LCD Monitor by John Anderton on 11-30-2009 at 02:39 AM

a week or two ago I got a 24" Dell monitor (S2409W) for 12750 INR (~275 USD) and I'm very pleased with it :)
Samsung is good as well but they don't sell 24" monitors here so I had to go with Dell :)

Heard good things about BenQ but their Dead Pixel policy sucks. Dell will swap panels if you have 5 or more (1/3 or more if it's a premium panel). BenQ doesn't do that. Samsung has a 5 dead pixel policy as well I think.

I had a LG CRT once and it wasn't great. It was OK, just not great. It was a CRT and this was back in 2002 so I can't really compare :)

I currently have a 24" Dell LCD and a 4 odd year old 17" Samsung panel. I like both. So the only point of distinction would be the features on either versus what you need in your budget :)

RE: LCD Monitor by MeEtc on 11-30-2009 at 02:49 AM

I have 2x 19" fullscreen LG monitors (model L1942T-BF). Had to special order them, but really good price. Height isn't adjustable on mine, each has 1 stuck pixel near the edges. Other than that, decent for every day usage, no problems. Parents have a BenQ, and had a BenQ CRT before that. No issues that I'm aware of.

RE: LCD Monitor by djdannyp on 11-30-2009 at 03:14 AM

I've got Hannspree at home, Fujitsu & Samsung at work.....the Fujitsu is the only one to have a problem thus far but I can highly recommend the other 2 makes

RE: LCD Monitor by Th3rmal on 11-30-2009 at 03:56 AM

I have a LG monitor, and its colours are amazing, and no issues with anything, let alone dead pixels. I also recommend Dell monitors (the more deluxe range, not the normal entry range) as tehy are feature packed and are generally reaaaallly nice monitors. Samsung would also be reccommended by me :P

RE: LCD Monitor by vaccination on 11-30-2009 at 08:10 AM

Samsung

RE: LCD Monitor by Spunky on 11-30-2009 at 09:30 AM

I have an Acer 21" Widescreen. Never had a single issue with it... It's the x223w. Never had any issues with dead/stuck pixels.

EDIT: Also, it was only £120 brand new...

RE: LCD Monitor by YourNeibour on 12-01-2009 at 03:45 AM

I have an opportunity to by a 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor  what do you think?

RE: RE: LCD Monitor by Discrate on 12-01-2009 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Samsung

x2

Samsung kicks ass. I am getting a 40 inch lcd tv (h)
RE: RE: LCD Monitor by Phillip on 12-01-2009 at 07:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
I have an opportunity to by a 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor  what do you think?
Acer are fucking terrible. Their screens seem to be 'ok' but if anything goes wrong with it you will be waiting a couple of months putting up with their shit just to get it replaced.

Do you want full HD..? Planning on connecting a Xbox 360/PS3/Wii to it at all..? What sort of budget do you have..?

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:
Samsung

x2

I thought you had a 62" LCD screen already..?
RE: LCD Monitor by CookieRevised on 12-01-2009 at 04:08 PM

Most brands are 'good' these days, not much difference. Many brands even use the very same hardware anyways. It mostly depends on the budget you want to spend.

Important points for LCD screens are:

1) The refresh speed/delay, the lower the better. You should have an absolute maximum of 5ms, anything higher is absolute shit. Preferable something like 2ms to 3ms.

2) The contrast ratio. I would say at least 3000:1.

3) The dead pixel policy. Almost every brand will _not_ replace the screen if there are only a limited number of dead pixels. Read the fine print in the manual _before_ you pay for the screen! This is very important. For example, you could have like 10 dead pixels, yet all across the screen. This is different than having 10 dead pixels in one quarter of the screen. The later might mean they will replace the screen, the first will not. So, read the policy carefully. To read this, you probably must open the box and read the manual. Ask to do this in the store, don't let you tell you otherwise. They must allow it.

4) Very important for ergonomics: check if the screen can be tilted and can be lifted higher or lower. Not all screens can be tilted, and even less screens can be lifted higher or lower.

5) The ability to show different resolutions without distorting/stretching the image across the screen. This can be important if you plan to hook up your laptop to the screen for example.

eg: the older widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 206BW is an excellent screen and can show different resolutions, but they will all be stretched across the screen. This is of course not very good if you hook up a 4:3 laptop.

--

And above all, ask to hook up the screen which you wanna buy (not a demo model, but the exact screen!) so you can check for dead pixels in the store and can see the screen in 'action'. This is very acceptable for TVs, yet often people forget that it is equaly important (if not more important) for computer screens.

;)

RE: LCD Monitor by YourNeibour on 12-01-2009 at 04:23 PM

Thanks for tall the advice.  I ended up just going with the 22" Acer AL2216Wbd LCD monitor....the resolution is fine...NO dead pixels...and I'm happy with it...I got it for free...my friend just upgraded to the 24" model.

RE: RE: RE: LCD Monitor by Discrate on 12-01-2009 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
Acer are fucking terrible. Their screens seem to be 'ok' but if anything goes wrong with it you will be waiting a couple of months putting up with their shit just to get it replaced.

Do you want full HD..? Planning on connecting a Xbox 360/PS3/Wii to it at all..? What sort of budget do you have..?

quote:
quote:
Samsung

x2

I do, but that's my parents and it's in the lounge room. I considerd taking it off the wall and putting it in my room, but i don't think they would be too happy about that :P
RE: LCD Monitor by toddy on 12-01-2009 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:

quote:
quote:
Samsung

x2

the 40" is to go with the car he owns.........
RE: LCD Monitor by Discrate on 12-01-2009 at 10:18 PM

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3666/dscf0488j.jpg

|-)

RE: LCD Monitor by albert on 12-02-2009 at 01:01 AM

I've somehow always been in love with the T.O.C. series from samsung. Elegant.

RE: LCD Monitor by ShawnZ on 12-02-2009 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
a week or two ago I got a 24" Dell monitor (S2409W) for 12750 INR (~275 USD) and I'm very pleased with it
Samsung is good as well but they don't sell 24" monitors here so I had to go with Dell

yes, the S2409W is very nice. it's a TN panel, so you get the regular viewing angle/colour reproduction/etc issues that TN technology implies, but as far as build quality goes, it's been fine -- no dead pixels, etc. i've had mine since January, and have never found it to be less than satisfactory (although, it was my first LCD, so my opinion may be a little biased in favour of it for that reason.)
RE: LCD Monitor by steevestell on 12-18-2009 at 05:16 PM

Hello Friends.
I think SONY is Best themselves if you decided the your only two choice then LG is good.