Shoutbox

WLM 2010 revealed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM 2010 revealed (/showthread.php?tid=93171)

WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 12-10-2009 at 02:07 PM

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/12/10/windows-...nger-2010-revealed

RE: Windows Live Messenger 2010 revealed by Spongshga on 12-10-2009 at 02:14 PM

wtf?

wlm-boards/dl-websids talk about "insert icq funktion"...
can we hope so? - i wish....
RE: Windows Live Messenger 2010 revealed by tony on 12-10-2009 at 02:16 PM

Tabbed chats eh? :p

RE: Windows Live Messenger 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-10-2009 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neowin
[Image: Messenger-2010-a.jpg]

[Image: Messenger-2010-b.jpg]

All I can say is tabbed chats is nice, Plus! does it, but it was bound to be done natively sooner or later.... but WTF at that first screenshot? That's ugly in so many ways. Oversized font, dual scrollbars, giant ad, oversized window in general... and that's a window they are expecting a user to keep open most of the time to see their friends' updates come in?

I know just about every major version had large groups of people who didn't like the new design, but how do they seriously expect to get away with this one? Just the size of the ad alone should get some people fired.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 2010 revealed by Mike on 12-10-2009 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spongshga
wtf?
Yep, wtf indeed :-/
The advertisement in that screenshot takes the 1/5 of the contact list! :-/
RE: Windows Live Messenger 2010 revealed by Spongshga on 12-10-2009 at 02:24 PM

wtf doing windows? let to the "messenger" projekt in the hand  from plus! thats the best!!!!!

edit:
http://www.msgstuff.com/news/tag/Windows-Live-Messenger-2010/

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-10-2009 at 03:39 PM

I guess they should change the name to Windows Live Ads

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by vaccination on 12-10-2009 at 03:51 PM

Who the fuck designs these things, honestly?!

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chris4 on 12-10-2009 at 04:49 PM

Big corporations never listen to their users, idiots.

"Yeah, lets just shove as much crap as we can into it! Who cares what it looks like?!"

When will they understand that users don't want bloated crapware.

Most people just want a small and simple instant messenger to communicate with friends.

Is that so much to ask?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-10-2009 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Is that so much to ask?
We're talking about Microsoft.
The increasing number of Windows versions should be a tip :(
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mnjul on 12-10-2009 at 05:02 PM

I want WLM 8.1 back :(

Oh, of course, with the support for newest protocol, and vulnerabilities fixed, if that CookieRevised matters.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-10-2009 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul

Oh, of course, with the support for newest protocol, and vulnerabilities fixed, if that CookieRevised matters.
I still miss nice orange one that was the 8.0 beta.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Shiny Rabbit on 12-10-2009 at 06:47 PM

I certainly hope that's subject to change, it would work so much better if the news feed was a small popup that appears when you hover over a certain part of the window or can be disabled completely, also what's the deal with the ludicrously oversized ad?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-10-2009 at 07:44 PM

OK, some more constructive feedback after the first WTF...

The screenshots definitely give little context and I understand this is an early build. Someone who I'm sure played with the actual software agrees the screenshots look like crap, but says the real experience is much better (http://twitter.com/SiebeTolsma/status/6538209519), so that gives some hope. The screenshots don't show that much either, and the parts we do see are heavily edited for obvious reasons.

Having that said, what's wrong with the small part we do see?

* Huge ad
This is definitely my biggest complaint. The advertisement on the contacts list is huge, there's no excuse for an ad that big in software which runs on my desktop. You can pull of ads that size on a site, not in software. The ad in the current version already is big enough as it is, keep it that same size or smaller. Even if that ad would not be there all the time, but shows up at certain intervals, it's still too intrusive and taking up too much precious pixels.

* Oversized fonts
Several texts are too big, again wasting precious pixels which are limited on a desktop. Keep n mind most people have their contacts list open on the side of their desktop during most of the time. The bigger the contacts list window gets, the less usable the application.
- 'Other Contacts' should have the same size as in the old (2009) version.
- 'Social/Friends/Highlights/Recent' should be the same size as 'All/Available/Other Contacts/Blocked'.
- 'Xxx updated Twitter' should be the same size as the names of the contacts on the right.
- The actual twitter message is blanked out, but shouldn't be much bigger than the name of contacts either.

* Social stream next to contacts list is odd
The way the social stream is displayed next to the contacts list doesn't makes the window unnecessary big. I assume the button in the upper-right corner hides the social stream. Hopefully the social stream is hidden by default, but it could be implemented better. I understand you need to be able to scroll through both lists individually, but having a scrollbar in the middle is odd. Do that many people want to watch their contacts list and the social stream at the same time? Why not have a button to just switch between the contacts list and the social stream. So it would either show the left side, or the right side of what we see in the screenshot, not both in a huge window.

The tabbed chats feature is nice, and about time. The screenshot does show four layers, but even in Messenger 2009 the menu bar was always hidden by default, and the action bar (Files/Video/Call/etc.) can be hidden if you want. I imagine tabbed chats can be disabled completely if you want.

The 'Connected to .. | Add' on the lower-right of the contacts list is interesting. I *think* it connects to other social networks, not other IM networks. Purely speculating, but it shows the Windows Live icon, not the Messenger icon, which would hint more at the social network aspect. Adding the social stream and the bigger 'Share something new' box to that I think they are more focused on integrating other social networks than other instant messaging networks. It would however be great if we were able to talk to AIM/GTalk/Skype contacts from inside Messenger.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-10-2009 at 09:40 PM

i dont care for it since i dont use WLM much :) . like  to see what Patch has to say about it though

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 12-10-2009 at 11:19 PM

Hope sometime before the release they get rid of the crap look that wlm9 has.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Nagamasa on 12-11-2009 at 12:49 AM

1) Obviously, the ad is way too big.

2) The Contact List, if anything, should be on the left. We read left to right! We go on WLM to chat, not to look at what people Tweet about. That's what the browser/twitter.com is for.

3) The window is too big.

4) Too text-based.

aka, lots of improvement needed.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 12-11-2009 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
That's what the browser/twitter.com is for.

at least its not as stupid as Fishbowl
Why would u want a program thats facebook but without the apps when u can just open ur browser and go to facebook?
RE: RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by kezz on 12-11-2009 at 04:44 AM

I've gotta admit, even though the Neowin article said that the screenshots are likely to have been taken from an earlier build, it looks like total crap. I agree with Menthix, the ads are way too huge, the window is bloated due to the dual-panel setup, and the fonts are rather terrible.

Hopefully, a huge amount of interface design has gone into this since the screenshots were taken. Otherwise we'll all be looking on the MP!L team to fix it as much as possible.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by ryxdp on 12-11-2009 at 05:33 AM

It seems it would probably fit in more as a webpage, especially since there's that giant ad in there. You might as well just have your wallpaper set to rotate through a string of ads.

I do quite like the concept of it, but for an instant messaging client it doesn't really work all that well. They should have just improved on the 2009 design, but only slightly.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Rolando on 12-11-2009 at 06:15 AM

Thank god for MP!L.. and skins and stuff :)

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-11-2009 at 06:16 AM

the Question, is it Legit? i'll believe it when i actually get to try it out.

skins will have to be updated etc, but now is a good time to switch to something else if people dont like it

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Joa on 12-11-2009 at 06:28 AM

eew :sad:

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:

I still miss nice orange one that was the 8.0 beta.
same
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-11-2009 at 06:31 AM

you Ubuntu lovers love Orange :refuck:

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 12-11-2009 at 07:37 AM

quote:

If that is going to be the new look (thank god they also state it is an early build) I'll start suggesting to install MSN Messenger 6 to everybody. Vulnerabilities or not :p
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-11-2009 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
the Question, is it Legit?
Tom from Neowin says so, he's usually right if he says it's a trusted source. Plus I don't think anyone would create that much of a horrible fake.

But... looks like the build in the screenshot is about 4 months old already:
http://twitter.com/mynetx/statuses/6562402067
http://twitter.com/tom_warren/statuses/6563237560
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-11-2009 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
you Ubuntu lovers love Orange :refuck:
True. Or we'd have to bate That orange OS :chrongue:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If that is going to be the new look (thank god they also state it is an early build) I'll start suggesting to install MSN Messenger 6 to everybody. Vulnerabilities or not :p
:lol:
RE: RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by kezz on 12-11-2009 at 11:29 PM

quote:
quote:

Haha not as bad of an idea as it first sounds :P
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by YourNeibour on 12-13-2009 at 03:49 AM

ugly

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-13-2009 at 04:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Tom from Neowin says so, he's usually right if he says it's a trusted source. Plus I don't think anyone would create that much of a horrible fake.

so its probably changed somewhat
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 12-13-2009 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

so its probably changed somewhat
But as someone has said, dunno were exactly, they do have the tendency to stick with the overall layout. And then publish a public beta (in some cases) to get the reactions of the public, but by that time it is already waaaaaay too late to change anything drastically!

What often does change are small things, like a button which moves from here to there, or a color scheme, or the border thickness of something, etc. But not the grand layout...

So, I fear for the worst, but I do hope I'm completely wrong in that.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mnjul on 12-13-2009 at 04:18 PM

Maybe it's time for us developers to create our own client?  With support for Plus!-features. :banana:

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Spunky on 12-13-2009 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Maybe it's time for us developers to create our own client?  With support for Plus!-features. :banana:

A Plus client... with all the features built in ;)
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-13-2009 at 05:04 PM

Messenger Plus! --> Plus! Messenger :D

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 12-13-2009 at 05:58 PM

quote:
But as someone has said, dunno were exactly, they do have the tendency to stick with the overall layout.
Wasn't the WLM 8 private beta a lot different from to the final version (especially the contact list)? :P

[Image: Windows%20Live%20Messenger.png] [Image: Windows%20Live%20Messenger%20Chat.png]
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-13-2009 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Wasn't the WLM 8 private beta a lot different from to the final version (especially the contact list)? :P
That's the one and only exception that we know of though.

But hey, look at the bright side, it can't get much worse than that screenie.

...or could it... WHUHAHAHAHHA!!!!

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-13-2009 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Microsoft, please, don't you dare trying to make it worse.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 12-13-2009 at 08:58 PM

Yuk. I hope theres no forced upgrade.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 12-13-2009 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Microsoft, please, don't you dare trying to make it worse.

Now they will!

Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Everything else to do with Live inside the messenger, and the old Windows Messenger design.

IT WILL ALSO BE FORCED UPGRADE
:P
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by kezz on 12-14-2009 at 06:01 AM

quote:

That would amazing! I would definitely be on board.

kgo Patchou.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Basilis on 12-14-2009 at 09:08 PM

Nasty design...

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Lou on 12-15-2009 at 01:29 AM

quote:
I've been wondering for a while why that hasn't happened yet. I'm surprised, seeing the amount of developers here, that people haven't at least attempted it. I realize that there are loads of alternative solutions out there, but with such a big community already, a new client built by users from here would probably become very popular (and the availability for user input from here would make it a great client). I'd use it for sure (mac compatibility? Anyone?).
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 12-15-2009 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
(mac compatibility? Anyone?)
Would be too good to be true =P

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
I've been wondering for a while why that hasn't happened yet
Idem.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chris4 on 12-15-2009 at 08:56 PM

mynetx posted a new screenshot:

[Image: WLM2010M1.1.png]

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Nagamasa on 12-15-2009 at 09:17 PM

It seems MS wants the display name to transition to just your name, and the Personal Message to be updated more frequently...and the text is still WAY too big, and so is the ad...

Ew.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by user35870 on 12-15-2009 at 10:09 PM

quote:
mynetx posted a new screenshot:

[Image: WLM2010M1.1.png]

Please note that is only a mockup!
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by ryxdp on 12-15-2009 at 10:11 PM

That little grey/blue icon up the top right near the Options button says to me that maybe you can shut off the left side, perhaps completely, But I guess the ads will still have to be removed by the usual way... I wonder what's happened to the chat window, ad-wise. I hope it's still a text ad.

EDIT: Yeah, mynetx says on the blog post linked to above that "This window split can be reverted using the button on the top right edge." So that's at least a bit of good news I guess :P

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-15-2009 at 11:11 PM

i still think its been Gimped

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 12-28-2009 at 11:11 AM

LiveSino posted a screenshot of a Wave4 build looking much better.

[Image: windows_live_messenger_wave4_windows7.png]
Source: http://livesino.net/archives/2386.live (Chinese)

Looks a lot like he current wave, which IMO is a good thing, let them focus on functionality instead of a new look when we just got used the the current look :). Also no more second window in the taskbar preview thingie. Not sure this build is newer than what Neowin posted.

Google translate says stay tuned for more screenshots, so will do :p.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 12-29-2009 at 01:41 AM

these screenshots can be photoshoped so i'll believe them when i see it myself

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by ryxdp on 12-29-2009 at 03:57 AM

Well that just looks like ordinary Wave 3, how can we be sure it's not an earlier build closer to the stable release we have now? They'll probably go with the huge design anyway...

I'm sure the ideas are great, but their use and practicality just isn't clicking with what the users really need, and what they need is not fullscreen advertisements messaging them subliminally or something, or a text-based UI to literally spell everything out for them (okay, maybe some do need that, but there should at least be some sort of compensation for the more advanced users). I'm sure none of this made any real sense but I thought I'd just put this here in case it perhaps unlocks the hidden secrets of the universe.

In any case, I'm really digging those status buttons on the popup whatchamacallit (I sadly do not have Windows 7).

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 12:02 PM

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/10/01/03/new-wind...wave-4-screenshots

The conversation window looks the same (except from the bigger ad (:() and the new video icon (what is that?)).

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 01-03-2010 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by my comment on Neowin
Neowin you failed at this post.

* First of all it's LiveSino, not LiveSuno
* You posted your own *old* screenshot at the bottom of the post like that one is still in any way relevant and added "All images courtesy of Livesino.net" directly below it.
* You say "Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 will also allow Twitter, Facebook and blog posts directly in your contact list" while there is no sign anywhere of that in these newer screenshots.
* The first screenshot in this post is edited, while LiveSino originally posted it back in December 28 without blanking out anything so you can see the contacts list: http://livesino.net/archives/2386.live
* The order in which you show the screenshots doesn't make sense in combination with the text text between it. Reading LiveSide's post will make much more sense: http://liveside.net/main/archive/2010/01/02/new-w...hots-revealed.aspx

And lol at:
[Image: WLMW4_2.png]
LiveSide posted that originally. It's the LiveSino screenshot from 28 December which I posted above too, but no idea why they blanked out the already unreadable contacts list.

EDIT2: Damaster from LiveSide mailed me to explain they intentionally blanked out the contacts list because LiveSino seems to have messed with it too. If you look closely Picturepan2 is chatting with himself, which isn't possible on the same account. Possibly he just pasted the WLM 2009 contact list there to protect the identity of the leaker. The quick status change and not having 2 thumbnails for the main window are relevant though.

EDIT1:
More interesting, somebody in the Neowin comments linked to this:
[Image: Windows_Live_Messenger_Wave_4_by_spain08.jpg]
Source: http://spain08.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Live-Me...r-Wave-4-147312630
Which was posted December 19, so it may be older than the LiveSino build, but newer than what Neowin posted in their first build.

EDIT3:
Found another one, could be shopped (like *any* of the screenshots so far), but he has the same guy who posted the screenshot above in his list:
[Image: Windows_7_Wave_4_by_MaikeMR_thumb.jpg]
Source: http://maikemr.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Wave-4-147548215
Which was posted  December 22.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by vaccination on 01-03-2010 at 03:26 PM

quote:

EDIT3:
Found another one, could be shopped (like *any* of the screenshots so far), but he has the same guy who posted the screenshot above in his list:
Best one so far - well you know, apart from the whole huge list of nonsensical bullshit that I don't want in my simple messenger program - the ad is smaller(and cunningly not an actual ad in the pic) however why would I want that ad space to be in the top middle(what's with the masses of white space either side, what an ugly waste) of my program, it's basically the main focus of that entire left column, which sure is great for advertisers but absolutely shit for the user (Y).

Frankly wouldn't give a shit about that stuff though, if they are kind enough to allow me to hide the left panel entirely, which I hope(pray) you can.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-03-2010 at 10:01 PM

i do not like that Big Bulky Ad , thats just yukky, though there's always A-patch :)

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 10:33 PM

quote:

EDIT3:
This one's a bit weird. Why would Microsoft translate an early version (unless it's not that early anymore...)?
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 01-03-2010 at 10:50 PM

quote:
his one's a bit weird. Why would Microsoft translate an early version (unless it's not that early anymore...)?
It's not that early anymore. Final release is expected in March and maybe a public beta before that (later this month, February?).

And remember 8.5 (I believe it was 8.5 from the top of my head). First build we ever saw from that was Spanish.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-03-2010 at 11:14 PM

wonder if you can get facebook in wlm10 rather than twitter updates from your contacts?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 01-03-2010 at 11:39 PM

Hopefully. But... http://www.fishbowlclient.com/

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-04-2010 at 12:01 AM

most of my contact use facebook not twitter

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 01-04-2010 at 12:04 AM

and fishbowl is for facebook :P

edit
100 post yay.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 01-04-2010 at 12:18 AM

I like this

http://spain08.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Live-Me...r-Wave-4-147312630

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 01-04-2010 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Why would Microsoft translate an early version (unless it's not that early anymore...)?
Because it's not official.

Or the guy who's translated that messed up with all plural usage.

(Also, things even a non-portuguese speaker would note: in the search box there is "contatos" (pt-br), but everyother mention uses "contactos" (pt-pt).

Also, disponivel was used, whereas the correct is disponível.

And did anybody see the lack of "little button suposed to switch from big view to small view", nor the rightmost contact list invading the scrollbar? (A))

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
Also, I'd just like to point out that the second screenshot in the above post (the one that looks most fake) has a distinct lack of the word "beta" in the window's titlebar...
and that :chrongue:
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by pikablu0530 on 01-04-2010 at 12:48 AM

quote:

EDIT1:
More interesting, somebody in the Neowin comments linked to this:
[Image: Windows_Live_Messenger_Wave_4_by_spain08.jpg][/url]
Source: http://spain08.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Live-Me...r-Wave-4-147312630
Which was posted December 19, so it may be older than the LiveSino build, but newer than what Neowin posted in their first build.

The contact list and the "social" feeds in this screenshot has definitely been tampered with, perhaps replaced with the contact list / Windows Live feeds of what we have in WLM 2009. And it just seems weird that the header doesn't have any other buttons?

quote:

EDIT3:

This looks like a photoshopped and translated product of the one above. The font all appears to be different from the above one (even compared to the one on Neowin) and you can clearly see the contact list photoshopped in - why would there be two contact list any way? The scrollbars don't seem right as well.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by ryxdp on 01-04-2010 at 01:03 AM

Also, I'd just like to point out that the second screenshot in the above post (the one that looks most fake) has a distinct lack of the word "beta" in the window's titlebar...

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by user27089 on 01-04-2010 at 01:15 AM

All I can say is thank God for the alternatives.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 01-04-2010 at 01:52 AM

A bit of background on one of those newer screenshots:

quote:
Originally posted by Spain08's deviantART Journal
... Wanted to say, I've been accepted into  the program Windows Live Wave 4 Beta , now I'm using the  Milestone 2.

The program of Windows Live Wave 4 Beta is only for MVP's, people working in the Windows Live Team and very specific Tester.

I can not give much information yet, is forbidden, show pictures of the Beta. Microsoft expel us from it.

But I'm spain08 (the magician) :D

[Image: wlmwave4watermark2.png]

I have it well planned, in  early 2010 .I will filter out some screenshots of Windows Live Wave 4. This Beta will be distributed early in the new year in some countries, in others distributed before ... ex (USA),  and the general public a couple of months later. ...

Source: http://spain08.deviantart.com/journal/29031745/

Apperantly this guy is working at Microsoft on the Windows Live Platform team: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/en-US/?user=spain08MS

Meh, we'll see. Enough stalking for info today ;).
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by pikablu0530 on 01-04-2010 at 03:04 AM

quote:
A bit of background on one of those newer screenshots:
quote:
Originally posted by Spain08's deviantART Journal
... Wanted to say, I've been accepted into  the program Windows Live Wave 4 Beta , now I'm using the  Milestone 2.

The program of Windows Live Wave 4 Beta is only for MVP's, people working in the Windows Live Team and very specific Tester.

I can not give much information yet, is forbidden, show pictures of the Beta. Microsoft expel us from it.

But I'm spain08 (the magician) :D

I have it well planned, in  early 2010 .I will filter out some screenshots of Windows Live Wave 4. This Beta will be distributed early in the new year in some countries, in others distributed before ... ex (USA),  and the general public a couple of months later. ...

Source: http://spain08.deviantart.com/journal/29031745/

Apperantly this guy is working at Microsoft on the Windows Live Platform team: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/en-US/?user=spain08MS

Meh, we'll see. Enough stalking for info today ;).

Nice. Yup I do believe that spain08 actually do have access to the beta, but he had modified the screenshots for various reasons. =)

Thanks for the  info though!
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by kezz on 01-04-2010 at 04:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
All I can say is thank God for the alternatives.

I agree! :chrongue: Here's hoping that the !plus crew create our own IM client.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-04-2010 at 04:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
I agree! :chrongue: Here's hoping that the !plus crew create our own IM client.
just download Amsn or Trillian or Digsby or others, dont rely on someone here making one, or better yet, use yahoo Messenger10 which isnt to bad

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 01-04-2010 at 04:22 AM

Don't really matter how bad it turns out. There's always Plus! and Apatch.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-04-2010 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
dont assume there will be Plus till patch has made a official announcement regarding mpl5 an wlm10

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by prashker on 01-04-2010 at 04:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
dont assume there will be Plus till patch has made a official announcement regarding mpl5 an wlm10
I can assure you they'll be an MP!L5 :p
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 01-04-2010 at 04:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
you suck Sam :D
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by user27089 on 01-04-2010 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
you suck Sam :D
He doesn't, we just know that Yuna Software won't be disbanding so soon after it's formation in 2009.

There will definitely be a Messenger Plus! 5 and maybe a Messenger Plus! 6. Even though the changes to Windows Live Messenger are vast and, to be frank, hideous, people will still use the software. Therefore a market for Messenger Plus! will always be there - though I'd like to see if the conversion rate of msgpluslive.com has decreased over the past year or so.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Jstnfox on 01-10-2010 at 02:31 PM

God forbid. That is the most ugliest screenshot I have EVER seen. Why isn't it more sleek? It looks like vomit. Why do we what Social any way? Isn't that Tweetdecks job? Seriously Microdouche facebook and Twitter (mainly twitter) are supposed to die this year at some point. So why waste all this time on social networking intergration when its going to be useless soon. I want a new messenger thats sophisticated but stylish that has animated backgrounds like the koi background from kiwee on the sign in and contact lists. I want to be able to change the dp border from a square to a circle or just have a choice of about 10 border styles. I want to see it made easier to skin. I also want to see the remove contacts personal message option available in the Windows Toolbox skin become a default option and I really want to get rid of that stupid ninemsn video bar down the bottom and the advertsing. Surely Microsoft you have enough money that you don't need advertisements in your programs. If this screenshot is anything close to the final I swear im sticking with my current version or if you force people to upgrade im going to use Yahoo.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 02-19-2010 at 05:57 PM

http://www.neowin.net/news/new-windows-live-messe...ls-social-features

Ew.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mnjul on 02-19-2010 at 06:22 PM

I'm sure I'll need a script to mimic a minimalistic contact list.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-19-2010 at 09:31 PM

still looks ugly i think, think i'll stick to Pidgin or Trillian Astra

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 09:32 PM

Really not a fan of this whole social networking integration thing.  I think it needs to stay primarily as a Messenger program.  By all means have the OPTIONAL ability to import social networking feeds and stuff.....but what I really want is just a contact list and a well built, reliable chat program.

Hopefully they'll be listening to the kind of feedback that's floating around here (and no doubt being mirrored elsewhere) and make changes to that end

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-19-2010 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Really not a fan of this whole social networking integration thing.  I think it needs to stay primarily as a Messenger program.  By all means have the OPTIONAL ability to import social networking feeds and stuff.....but what I really want is just a contact list and a well built, reliable chat program.

Hopefully they'll be listening to the kind of feedback that's floating around here (and no doubt being mirrored elsewhere) and make changes to that end
the way Messengers are going these days you can Import just about any social Networking stuff into the client, take for instance AIM an ICQ7 , with ICQ7 you can import Yahoo/WLM/facebook/twitter an others i think Microsoft have to take WLM a step forward but give people the option of closing that other pane if they dont want it,  its all about social Networking now, Not just 1 IM Client. lots use facebook, people wanna be able to chat with there facebook friends Via WLM or any other Native client. if you dont like it go to another IM Service, maybe Yahoo Messenger might suit you? if Microsoft were to take the facebook an other service feature out they'll lose users to other services, i cant see Microsoft wanting that to happen, you cant please everyone. 

main problem is that Fat ugly Ad

thats prolly my longest reply to anyone on this forum, feel privileged :refuck:
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

the way Messengers are going these days you can Import just about any social Networking stuff into the client, take for instance AIM an ICQ7 , with ICQ7 you can import Yahoo/WLM/facebook/twitter an others i think Microsoft have to take WLM a step forward but give people the option of closing that other pane if they dont want it,  its all about social Networking now, Not just 1 IM Client. lots use facebook, people wanna be able to chat with there facebook friends Via WLM or any other Native client. if you dont like it go to another IM Service, maybe Yahoo Messenger might suit you? if Microsoft were to take the facebook an other service feature out they'll lose users to other services, i cant see Microsoft wanting that to happen, you cant please everyone. 

main problem is that Fat ugly Ad

thats prolly my longest reply to anyone on this forum, feel privileged :refuck:

Woo, I do :P

I definitely agree about the Ad.....the ads at the moment are bad enough (even though I skin them out :P)......there needs to be less advertising, not more.......I mean.......can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 02-19-2010 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jstnfox
Why do we what Social any way? Isn't that Tweetdecks job? Seriously Microdouche facebook and Twitter (mainly twitter) are supposed to die this year at some point. So why waste all this time on social networking intergration when its going to be useless soon.

Dunno on what planet you live on, but on this dirtball social networking is rising like never before and will still keep on rising in the near future. Not recognizing that or not jumping on the band wagon is a sure formula to die quickly... Hence, _every_ major brand IM client is going in the same way, there is no exception. So you might want to switch to another IM client to divert from this social networking, but eventually that other IM client will soon follow the trend too.

PS: don't get me wrong, it is not because I do recognize the uprise of the social networking, that I agree with all that (bloated) stuff. I'm one of those people who 'hate' (maybe expressed a bit too strong, but still it's close to hating) the whole social networking thing. But that doesn't change the fact how 99% of the world (and the IM world for that matter) works.

Even those who don't realy like all that social stuff, often do use it (knowingly or not)!! Think about it; forums, blogs, etc are social networks too! Many comments about not liking the whole integration of social networking are done on ... social networks! Take these leaked screenshots for example, links upon links you see comments, comments which come from other networks and which are linked back in one way or the other to the 'source'. If it wasn't for social networks like facebook, twitter, blogs, etc you probably wouldn't even have seen them and be able to comment on them...

quote:
I want a new messenger thats sophisticated but stylish that has animated backgrounds like the koi background from kiwee on the sign in and contact lists.
I want to be able to change the dp border from a square to a circle or just have a choice of about 10 border styles. I want to see it made easier to skin. I also want to see the remove contacts personal message option available in the Windows Toolbox skin become a default option and I really want to get rid of that stupid ninemsn video bar down the bottom and the advertsing.
You do realize that you're prooving exactly why Microsoft is doing what they are doing since a while now?

eg: Some other individual does not want animated backgrounds but do want the ability to use winks. And another only wants to IM and to see his friends tweets, but would never ever skin Messenger. And another wants to be able to chat via the Messenger network and the Facebook network, but finds all those choices of squared, rounded, etc rectangles for the DP completely useless, etc. etc.

The point is, no company can make something unique for each individual, not Microsoft, not anybody. Every company will always listen to majority of the userbase and what they want, not what one or two individuals want. This is true for even Messenger Plus!, Google, or any other company you do have high respect for. Microsoft is not doing anything differently...

This said, I do have some concearns about the new look and I still hope some changes will be made (smaller ad, smaller fonts, etc). But the overall look is most likely not going to change that much, because this is what the world wants.

You can not forget that forums like these, blogs like where those screenshots are posted, etc, actually do not represent the majority! But a relative very small subset of power-users (still thousands and thousands of people though). We quite often tend to forget that.

quote:
Surely Microsoft you have enough money that you don't need advertisements in your programs.
Those ads are exactly how they gain revenue. Removing those ads means no Messenger at all. Or would you rather pay for Messenger (and I mean actually paying, thus not hacking a payed version)? I surely doubt it. And if you would, the majority would not.

quote:
can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
for a program as much used as Messenger... yes
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-19-2010 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Woo, I do :P

I definitely agree about the Ad.....the ads at the moment are bad enough (even though I skin them out :P)......there needs to be less advertising, not more.......I mean.......can they honestly make that much out of the adverts?
last i heard they make 10 cents a minute , something like that on the Adverts.

but there are people around here that use twitter so they dont hate social Networking. i dont like twitter but i do like facebook, i just rarely login to the web interface of facebook, if i can use WLM or any other client to chat to my friends on facebook it makes my life that much easier   
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by billyy on 02-19-2010 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

last i heard they make 10 cents a minute , something like that on the Adverts. 
6 bucks an hour?
Is that realy worth it?
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-19-2010 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billyy
6 bucks an hour?
Is that realy worth it?
it is to Microsoft if you have to pay all those developers. it might be a second or a Minute they get money from those Ads,i dont remember what it is now

if its $6 an hour, that $6 should come from every user using WLM from those Ads. how many users use WLM?.. Millions i would think, so $6 from everyone of those Million users an hour works out to a lot of money.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 01:06 AM

Finally some decent looking screenshots. Classic contacts list the way we're used to it from the current version.

Source: More Windows Live Messenger Wave 4 screenshots – hints at Video Messages integration, geo-tagging in Photos, and more! at LiveSide, via cnbeta.com (Chinese) and wikikou.fr (French).

[Image: zhangxiaolu_170446822881548.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_1705481105928926.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_170656253492106.jpg]

[Image: zhangxiaolu_1704231670072945.jpg]

[Image: smiley-wlm2010-4837.jpg]

See Liveside for the full story and analysis of the screenshots :).

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-21-2010 at 01:16 AM

i dunno but im sort of getting used to this new look, , the emoticons dont really bother me, i couldnt care if there were none at all :) but you always got Custom Emotes anyway.  but i think the facebook plus WLM integration will be a Bonus for me , majority of my contacts use facebook anyway

by the sounds of it there maybe more new features to. what i'd like to know is, what does the Preferences window look like, im sure that'll be different

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 01:47 AM

I like the first screenshot there.....I'm not really sure what view those others are though...are they like an expanded contact list?  Or another view altogether like the Windows Live Today screen?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 02:19 AM

quote:
I'm not really sure what view those others are though...are they like an expanded contact list?  Or another view altogether like the Windows Live Today screen?
It's more the social networking side of Live Messenger. Everybody's guess is you can switch between classic contacts list and social view with the button in the upper right. So yes, in a way it collapses/expands.

The more I'm looking at these screenshots though, the more Im wandering about the inconsistencies between screenshot 2 and 3. Almost like they are from different builds. Also confused why all the screenshots are English, but the about box Chinese.

Surprised no build seemed to have leaked yet, while screenshots seem to come from all corners of the web now.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-21-2010 at 02:38 AM

surely they'll release a Beta to the public before they release the final

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 03:34 AM

Also seems you'll need either Windows 7, or Vista SP2 (or higher). No XP support.

quote:
Originally posted by Google Translate of the Chinese CNBeta article to English
For the Windows 7 for us.
No longer supports Windows XP. (Vista SP2 or later can be installed).

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
surely they'll release a Beta to the public before they release the final
Hope so. I expect them to announce such things at MIX10 (March 15-17th).
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-21-2010 at 03:44 AM

i'd like to see a Beta before they release the final but so far looks fine from the updated Screenshots

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Eddie on 02-21-2010 at 08:51 AM

If it is to not be supportive of Windows XP surely there are some features that take advantage of something since Vista? I like the GUI without the whole social aspect of it and I to hope they release a beta before the full release however it is unlikely.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 11:03 AM

More emoticons. These are from Live Writer, but I assume Messenger will use the same set. Kinda like them TBH.

[Image: cnbeta1.png]
Source: cnbeta.com (Chinese) via mymicrosoftlife.com.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 11:45 AM

Those are pretty decent tbh....I'm growing to like them more....I usually like to stay open minded about progress rather than being one of those mindless sheep who insists everything stays as it is :P

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by absorbation on 02-21-2010 at 12:46 PM

I think the old series were nothing short of brilliant. I guess I don't like change to something that was perfectly fine :tongue:

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chris4 on 02-21-2010 at 03:39 PM

Nice! The current smileys were getting outdated.

quote:
I usually like to stay open minded about progress rather than being one of those mindless sheep who insists everything stays as it is :P
+1
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 02-21-2010 at 05:01 PM

Please no forced upgrade (N)

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 07:38 PM

quote:

There will be eventually, it just makes sense, seeing as a lot of the Mesesnger updates are security based.

Not to mention it makes things a hell of a lot easier for people who support Messenger.....if we're giving advice we don't have to give a million different permutations depending on which version people are running (or worse still, ask people to find out which version they're on!) we can just know which version they're running
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-21-2010 at 09:52 PM

im starting to like it that much more than before

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Poska on 02-25-2010 at 10:39 AM

No one leaks the new "Sign-Out" Window ?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CatherineJ on 02-25-2010 at 12:18 PM

Sorry if I have missed the post where is says it, but do we know when this comes out?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 02-25-2010 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CatherineJ
Sorry if I have missed the post where is says it, but do we know when this comes out?
No we don't.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-25-2010 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CatherineJ
it maybe out sometime in Mid March
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Eddie on 02-26-2010 at 06:40 PM

quote:
quote:

There will be eventually, it just makes sense, seeing as a lot of the Mesesnger updates are security based.

I would assume that if you do not want a forced upgrade and that this version truly doesn't support Windows XP then you would have to stay on or downgrade to Windows XP :P

On a side note I am liking them emoticons, but why only change the faces and the (L)?

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 02-26-2010 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
I would assume that if you do not want a forced upgrade and that this version truly doesn't support Windows XP then you would have to stay on or downgrade to Windows XP :P
The current version is not going to be all of a sudden XP only though. The current version works just as fine on Vista/7 too. So, no reason at all to downgrade to XP if you don't want to use the new version.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Toxn on 02-26-2010 at 11:43 PM

http://liveside.net/main/archive/2010/02/26/first...header-themes.aspx

[Image: 2553.Headerwiththeme_5F00_thumb_5F00_30915694.png]

[Image: 8688.WindowsLiveHeaders_5F00_34BB2E59.png]

[Image: 8037.Themesmenu_5F00_6C8A4A53.png]

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-27-2010 at 12:05 AM

the more i see, the more i think there aint gonna be much point to MsgPlusLive anymore

i could be wrong but we'll wait an see

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 02-27-2010 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
the more i see, the more i think there aint gonna be much point to MsgPlusLive anymore

i could be wrong but we'll wait an see
a lot, if not all features (except for tabbed chats) from Plus! are still missing in Windows Live Messenger.

Of course, if the only thing you use Plus! for was tabbed chatting, then nope, you won't need it anymore. But if you use scripting, skinning, extensive logging, customized toasts and what not, not to mention all the small under-the-hood tweaks then there is still a very big place for Plus!. And from reading some comments, even more than ever (depending on what Plus!5 will bring).
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 02-27-2010 at 12:20 AM

quote:
a lot, if not all features (except for tabbed chats) from Plus! are still missing in Windows Live Messenger.

Of course, if the only thing you use Plus! for was tabbed chatting, then nope, you won't need it anymore. But if you use scripting, skinning, extensive logging, customized toasts and what not, not to mention all the small under-the-hood tweaks then there is still a very big place for Plus!. And from reading some comments, even more than ever (depending on what Plus!5 will bring).
i mainly only used 2 featurs of Plus. Tabbed chats an Logging was better than the one built into WLM.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 03-15-2010 at 01:01 AM

http://www.liveside.net/main/archive/2010/03/14/w...ide+%28LiveSide%29

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 03-20-2010 at 08:09 AM

this maybe of interest to some http://www.liveside.net/main/archive/2010/03/20/w...ide+%28LiveSide%29

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-20-2010 at 11:01 AM

What I'm really interested in is the leaked build. Apparently several people found it online, but nobody is sharing the love so far.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-20-2010 at 01:47 PM

Found it!

quote:
Originally posted by a twitter update
Windows Live Wave 4 M2 full installer download wlsetup-all.exe/15.2.2585.0122/126MB #wave4 Messenger 2010 <removed>

File is signed by Microsoft, installing it now (probably won't be able to login to Messenger as it was already known they are using a restricted server for that).

EDIT:
[Image: Windows-Live-Messenger-Beta-Version-2009...83.119.png]

[Image: We-cant-sign-you-in-to-Windows-Live-Mess...0003cc.png]
AFAIK people haven't found a way to get around this yet. But in the past this didn't took long either. MS bring on the public beta already :).

Also, keep in mind this is a fairly old milestone 2 build (15.2.2585.0122). A month ago cnBeta already posted screenshots of milestone 3 (15.3.4xxx.xxx). And probably even more changed since then.

Moderator edit: link removed
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 03-20-2010 at 02:24 PM

Since when are we allowed to post links to leaked builds? :P
I guess it doesn't really matter, since you can't sign in :P

Does Plus! load with the leaked beta?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-20-2010 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Since when are we allowed to post links to leaked builds?
It's up to the mods, but all the screenshots were allowed too, which is basically under the same restrictions as far is Microsoft in concerned.

quote:
Does Plus! load with the leaked beta?
It doesn't get past the sign in screen where Plus! usually doesn't show anything. So not sure.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 03-20-2010 at 03:00 PM

quote:
It doesn't get past the sign in screen where Plus! usually doesn't show anything. So not sure.
What about the menu?
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-20-2010 at 03:29 PM

quote:
What about the menu?
Nope.

[Image: no-plus!.png]
Didn't expect it to though, Plus! usually needs a bit of modification before it even attempts hooking to new major builds. But what does slightly worry me is not being able to make the Messenger window smaller than in the screenshot :(. EDIT: Meh, Menthix's reply to WLM 2010 revealed is newer and has a smaller width contactslist.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 03-20-2010 at 03:51 PM

Try reshacking msnmsgr.exe's version to an older one.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by CookieRevised on 03-20-2010 at 04:53 PM

quote:
quote:
Since when are we allowed to post links to leaked builds?
It's up to the mods, but all the screenshots were allowed too, which is basically under the same restrictions as far is Microsoft in concerned.
But in the past links to leaked beta's were strictly forbidden! See one of those (old) posts from Patchou where he states he wants to keep the good relationship with Microsoft. Helping to spread such stuff is damaging to that relationship...
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Tochjo on 03-20-2010 at 05:48 PM

We never allowed links to leaked beta builds. As far as I'm concerned that still applies. If I recall correctly screenshots were never a problem.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-20-2010 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
We never allowed links to leaked beta builds. As far as I'm concerned that still applies. If I recall correctly screenshots were never a problem.
Fair enough.

quote:
Won't work, at least not for making it sign in. Several people already tried.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 03-20-2010 at 06:26 PM

quote:
I didn't expect it to work for signing in, but I do expect it to work for Plus! :P
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by pikablu0530 on 03-20-2010 at 11:14 PM

quote:
quote:

What if you try changing the protocol version it is trying to connect to? I remember back in the days they also did this "whitelist" for one of the betas, and someone created a software to trick msnmsgr.exe thinking it's connecting to the older protocol to sign in.

I think for Wave 3 it's currently on MSN Protocol (MSNP) 18.

quote:
But what does slightly worry me is not being able to make the Messenger window smaller than in the screenshot :(. EDIT: Meh, Menthix's reply to WLM 2010 revealed is newer and has a smaller width contactslist.

Actually, you can make it smaller in this version. Go to Tools > Options > Sign In > Uncheck "Always show the main window in social mode when Windows Live Messenger starts". Restart Messenger and you'll get the good old skinny contact list window again :D
Windows Live Wave 4 by mattisdada on 03-22-2010 at 02:51 AM

Patched Windows Live Wave 4 Milestone 2 (Do remember development is at M3, so this is a few builds old)
<removed; links to leaked beta builds are not allowed>

This is the leaked WLW4 you may have seen recently....

Enjoy!

RE: Windows Live Wave 4 by Chris4 on 03-22-2010 at 04:48 AM

[Image: 7vplml.jpg]

The installer is rubbish, tries to bundle everything into it (all Windows Live apps, Bing Bar, etc.) so will look forward to getting the wlsetup-custom.exe instead.

It's OK. Not liking the social mode much yet, although maybe once it'll allow me to connect to Facebook and Twitter properly it may be better.

Liking that contacts are listed horizontally as well as vertically when you expand the window.

Tabbed chats is good.

Windows 7 taskbar bug is fixed.

That's all. *downgrades*

EDIT: Downgrading isn't the easiest of things.

RE: Windows Live Wave 4 by mattisdada on 03-22-2010 at 09:57 AM

Yeah i prefer 2009 + MP! But it is pretty cool some of the new features.

Hate the Zune like interface and social spamming it has though. I love the Zune HD, and the other older Zune's, but that doesn't mean that interface will work for messenger..... It does NOT work.

RE: Windows Live Wave 4 by swanny92 on 03-22-2010 at 01:13 PM

Horrible, horrible, horrible (and no, not just because of the bugs).

Only thing I remotely like is the Win 7 integration which it all finally seems to be working right.

This social stream feature is ridiculous. If it's not set to Friends it looks downright ugly, though as Chris says it may work better once Facebook etc is included. I don't like the new emoticons much, the :P emoticon just looks.... umm... homosexual? I don't know how else to put it.

I don't like the personal message being "rebranded" as a Facebook status update-like feature. Plenty of people I know don't use it that way (they more use it as a continuation of the display name) so I think it will take some adjusting to.

It's no great improvement to WLM 2009 I reckon. If they want Windows Live Messenger to become a "social networking hub" then they need to implement different steps. The social stream has the potential to work but the split screen contact list alongside the stream does not work well, the text is bulky and large, doesn't work well without images.

A better step could be to have tabs down the side to switch between contact list, social stream and (why not) your Hotmail inbox. If Microsoft wants us to use the personal message as a "status update feature" then I think it would be better to leave the display name along the top instead of shifted down the page, so at least the casual user can tell it's still the personal message feature, just looks different.

Really makes me miss WLM 8.5 at this stage.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-22-2010 at 01:35 PM

My Microsoft Life posted some interesting dates.

quote:
Originally posted by http://mymicrosoftlife.com/2010/03/21/windows-live-wave-4-timeline-to-release/
  • 28 April VIP testers will get access to latest builds…
  • 18 May WL2010 M3 RTW.
  • 3 June Complete Public disclosure.
  • 7 June Public Beta Day.
  • 7 June iPhone main languages Messenger.
  • 25 August iPhone additional languages Messenger + PUBLIC RTW

The timeline actually fits in well with what I have heard, up until recently the beta was expected to be released in May however last week I was told it had bee n pushed back a couple of weeks so early June seems about right. Other than a potential date for a beta and full release (RTW = Release To World? Web)of the suite what does seem interesting the fact that there will be an iPhone version of Messenger, something we have often heard rumoured.

Obviously this isn’t hard fact but its the first time (I think anyway) we have been given precise dates for Windows Live Wave 4 and all I can say is mark 7th June in your calendars, its only 3 months away. ...
It was posted on My Microsoft Life's Facebook page by someone named Nigel Ansell. I don't know this guy at all, so can't say it is reliable. But it does fit in fairly well with what I heard earlier from another person who is one of these "VIP testers".

quote:
The installer is rubbish, tries to bundle everything into it (all Windows Live apps, Bing Bar, etc.) so will look forward to getting the wlsetup-custom.exe instead
It allows you to deselect the features you don't want just as we saw in all the older Live Suite installers. Only difference as far as I can see is this is the offline installer so everything is included in the installer as opposed to it being downloaded once you select to install it. I'm sure they'll have the usual installers which download components as you install too (much friendlier on the bandwidth for MS), they are just not practical for restricted testing.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Eddie on 03-22-2010 at 02:13 PM

I like the new Windows Live Mail, but I cannot stand the new Windows Live Messenger and will not be upgrading.

I almost immediately avoided the issue of downgrading and performed a System Restore.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by swanny92 on 03-22-2010 at 02:22 PM

What issue was there? I downgraded fine, all I had to do was restart the computer.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Eddie on 03-22-2010 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by swanny92
What issue was there? I downgraded fine, all I had to do was restart the computer.
The only issue I have is I have lost all the default sounds.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 03-22-2010 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
but I cannot stand the new Windows Live Messenger and will not be upgrading
You shouldn't be using this as your regular Messenger in the first place :p. Just way too early build and too much non-finished features and bugs for that. I only installed it on a VM. But it's not that different from 2009 TBH.

[Image: Windows-Live-Messenger-_-2010-M2-15.2.25...-thumb.png]

The header is too high, and the font for the category labels too big. But if that doesn't change by the final it is fixable in skins. Same for emoticons.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chris4 on 03-22-2010 at 05:02 PM

I liked the look of the emoticons from the preview screenshot, but after using them I dislike them.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by xihong90 on 03-22-2010 at 09:27 PM

hi after i install Live Essentials Wave 4 and uninstall change back to Live Essentials Wave 3 (14.0.8089.726) my friend was unable to send me file.. It say The invitation to start File Transfer could not be sent because - is using an older version of Windows Live Messenger.
can some one help me with that?
:(

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 03-22-2010 at 09:42 PM

well i think i'll be using something different,, Pidgin or Trillan Astra

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chris4 on 03-23-2010 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xihong90
hi after i install Live Essentials Wave 4 and uninstall change back to Live Essentials Wave 3 (14.0.8089.726) my friend was unable to send me file.. It say The invitation to start File Transfer could not be sent because - is using an older version of Windows Live Messenger.
Try removing the entire Windows Live Essentials Beta first. Then install latest from http://download.live.com/
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by xihong90 on 03-23-2010 at 08:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Try removing the entire Windows Live Essentials Beta first. Then install latest from http://download.live.com/

thank for your reply .. i try to reformat my com and have a clean install 14.0.8089.726 but still the same not working
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 03-23-2010 at 09:37 AM

quote:

thank for your reply .. i try to reformat my com and have a clean install 14.0.8089.726 but still the same not working
this should be Opened up in a new thread. dont hijack this one, as its about WLM2010. not a Help thread.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 04:18 PM

The beta leek can only be used with a patch, if you don't use a patch your WLM ID won't sign in.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 08:30 PM

i have the same problem, i cant receive files.. i made another thread so maybe people can post there if they have ideas or problems

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Th3rmal on 03-24-2010 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
threat
thread*

I doubt people would help you if you threatened them over the net :P
RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
threat
thread*

I doubt people would help you if you threatened them over the net :P

hahah yeah miss spelling xD i am not that good in english, i suck at spelling ^^
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 04-09-2010 at 03:28 PM

LiveSide just posted the full set of redesigned emoticons for wave 4. All of them have a new look now, and 27 new ones: Full set of revamped Windows Live Wave 4 default emoticons – now with 27 brand new emoticons!.

[Image: windows-live-wave4-full-set-new-emoticons.png]

A few of them are animated in the LiveSide post, but I guess more than that are supposed to be animated. The sideways smiley for example seems to be the first frame of (BRB). All the animated ones actually seem to be animated, just not in an infinite loop. So page refresh and quick looking.

[Image: ninja.png] Ninja!

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by aNILEator on 04-09-2010 at 08:58 PM

my animoticons were way better!

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 04-09-2010 at 11:35 PM

They better have the old ones :(

THEY SUCK!!

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 04-10-2010 at 12:02 AM

i think the new ones out rank the old ones

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
THEY SUCK!!
they cant suck as much as you do Krissy :refuck:
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 04-10-2010 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
i think the new ones out rank the old ones

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
THEY SUCK!!
they cant suck as much as you do Krissy :refuck:
Suppose, but then again not everyone on WLM have to see me:P

Holy fuck if they did..
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Nagamasa on 04-10-2010 at 03:39 AM

quote:
LiveSide just posted the full set of redesigned emoticons for wave 4. All of them have a new look now, and 27 new ones: Full set of revamped Windows Live Wave 4 default emoticons – now with 27 brand new emoticons!.

They're okay I guess...some can be better though.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 04-10-2010 at 07:44 AM

So, which one is the new :P? [Image: 005.gif] or [Image: 104.png]?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Th3rmal on 04-10-2010 at 09:17 AM

quote:
second one?
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by andrey on 04-10-2010 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
second one?
both suck tbh =P the first one looks like he's and the second one is a retarded :p emoticon.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by prashker on 04-10-2010 at 01:20 PM

Raise your hand if immediately upon installing new WLM you'll be installing a skin in MP!L (when it comes out) to display old emoticons.

* prashker raises hand.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Chrissy on 04-10-2010 at 03:12 PM

* Chrissy raises hand

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 04-11-2010 at 12:29 AM

quote:
Raise your hand if immediately upon installing new WLM you'll be installing a skin in MP!L (when it comes out) to display old emoticons.

* SonicSam raises hand.
* blessedguy puts hands down on keyboard to add it to My Live as soon as MPL for WLM2010 comes out
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 04-11-2010 at 10:41 AM

* djdannyp leaves his hand down as he doesn't want to be stuck in the past like all the people who reshack to stay on old versions of WLM :refuck:

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by prashker on 04-21-2010 at 07:37 PM

quote:
* djdannyp leaves his hand down as he doesn't want to be stuck in the past like all the people who reshack to stay on old versions of WLM :refuck:
The difference is that the new emoticons actually suck. You just watch, if I don't change it, I bet they'll change it eventually.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 04-22-2010 at 02:40 AM

i dont think the new Emotes are a Major problem, just install a Emoticon Pack or something an over-ride the default ones, problem solved

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 04-27-2010 at 11:06 PM

http://windowslivepreview.com/ :banana:

AFAIK MS didn't publish that URL officially yet, it only started showing content just now. A few things on there probably still need fixing.

There is also http://www.messengerpreview.com/ but at the moment of posting it shows an old CES video for the Arch keyboard, which seems unconnected from Messenger. Maybe they're still holding some stuff back until they made the official announcement.

Supposedly there will also be beta invites going out today/tomorrow (depending on your timezone). And the public beta is rumored in 3 weeks from now or more like 6 weeks if you believe others. Either May 18th or June 7th.

Source: Windows Live Wave 4: Things Are Coming Tomorrow (mymicrosoftlife.com)

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Nagamasa on 04-28-2010 at 01:57 AM

quote:
http://windowslivepreview.com/ :banana:

quote:
Originally posted by http://windowslivepreview.com/
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by prashker on 04-28-2010 at 02:51 AM

It was working earlier :zippy:

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 04-28-2010 at 03:43 AM

Windows Live
Reviewer's Guide
Coming soon on April 28th

thats what i get on the page

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 04-28-2010 at 08:01 AM

Blah. There was more to see. They'll probably make some official post/announcement and open up again later today.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Eddie on 04-28-2010 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

Windows Live
Reviewer's Guide
Coming soon on April 28th

thats what i get on the page
I just get the page cannot be found.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 04-28-2010 at 05:32 PM

Still getting the 403 error....I wanna know :P

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 04-28-2010 at 07:39 PM

Try again now.

There is loads of info coming out at the moment.

http://messengerpreview.com is the starting point of everything, which will lead you to http://windowslivepreview.com/, which in turn will eventually lead you to http://windowslivepreview.com/messenger/resources where all the videos are.

If you didn't get enough from that, see http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowslive/arch...ive-messenger.aspx. Still not enough? See http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowslive/ which is about a keynote Ballmer is giving/gave in Brazil where he talks more about wave4. The actual keynote should be on demand later, but there already is a demo video online. Also, a 14 minute interview on http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/LarryLarsen/New-Wi...Messenger-Preview/ just in case you still didn't have enough. That's all released today, although a lot of things were already known from leaked screenshots.

Note:

quote:
Originally posted by @fmartin_MS on Twitter
The Windows Live Wave 4 screenshots are the same M3 of MVP Summit 2010... Not actual version. :)
So even while all the above became public today, all the screenshots are from a build which existed at least since late February when the MVPs were shown some screenshots. I guess the only exception to that is the Channel9 interview (which shows Messenger runing directly from someone's PC in the Live team, where all the other screenshots and demos are likely made by a PR company). Notice the smaller ads in the build shown in the Channel9 interview.
Follow @fmartin_MS for interesting wave4 news in general.

As for actually downloading it:
* Supposedly MVPs got access today
* Most likely of all rumors is a limited beta May 18th (relatively small group)
* Public beta June 7th.
...Although nobody is really sure and a lot of people are saying contradicting things. Everbody is just still speculating based on the leaked timeline:
quote:
* 28 April VIP testers will get access to latest builds…
* 18 May WL2010 M3 RTW.
* 3 June Complete Public disclosure.
* 7 June Public Beta Day.
* 7 June iPhone main languages Messenger.
* 25 August iPhone additional languages Messenger + PUBLIC RTW
The web services and essentials suite can also be released at separate dates and nothing in the time line says which of the 2 they are talking about.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Nagamasa on 04-28-2010 at 10:01 PM

One feature I think I'll like:

quote:
Originally posted by http://windowslivepreview.com/messenger/new
#
#
Availability by category

Once you have those categories, it’s easy to choose your presence availability by category so you can be offline to one set of friends while you’re online to another — letting you decide who can reach you in real time.
quote:
Originally posted by http://windowslivepreview.com/messenger/new

Synchronized status updates

When you post an update, you can have Messenger automatically synchronize that update with your other networks and vice versa.

Although the interface is not exactly Picasso, I think the feature set has been improved.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by blessedguy on 04-28-2010 at 11:54 PM

* blessedguy waits for Gizmodo.com.br to release more information on this, as they were in the event.

Update: http://www.gizmodo.com.br/conteudo/novidades-do-p...ows-live-messenger :zippy:

• You can be invisible for some selected people instead of for everyone, without blocking. You can choose to be invisible for selected people or groups.
  • The video messages work as offline messages.
  • YouTube videos on chat windows.
  • Tabbed chats.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by gaara20 on 05-06-2010 at 09:10 PM

wtf this is going to be uglier them 2009! I mean common... why we need more junk in messenger... And i see the crappy "online jewels status" are here to stay... i hate those.

Since this is now Microsoft's app, someday its going to turn into a really big unnecessary program that takes ages to load but gives you: msn, a music player, a video editor, a calculator, a music shop, 500 games in one, youtube player, TV, etc etc...

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 05-06-2010 at 09:51 PM

I guess that the YouTube videos won't be synced across the conversation, right?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 05-06-2010 at 09:57 PM

Hmm, that would be nice. But if they did that you'll probably have to wait until both sides cached the entire video, or at least a considerable amount. Since Youtube isn't always that reliable, don't know.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 revealed by gaara20 on 05-06-2010 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gaara20
wtf this is going to be uglier them 2009! I mean common... why we need more junk in messenger... And i see the crappy "online jewels status" are here to stay... i hate those.

Since this is now Microsoft's app, someday its going to turn into a really big unnecessary program that takes ages to load but gives you: msn, a music player, a video editor, a calculator, a music shop, 500 games in one, youtube player, TV, etc etc...

Wait a minute... ive just described windows live messenger 2010!
Damn...
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 05-06-2010 at 10:29 PM

I'm definitely liking the YouTube idea.....even if it's just that you can send a link to a contact and it plays in their convo window (or receive a link from a contact).

I do a lot of youtube sharing

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 05-06-2010 at 11:24 PM

that feature should earn the Evil Google more money

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 05-07-2010 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
that feature should earn the Evil Google more money
Will it? If people just visit the site they are subjected to more ads than when it is embedded.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 05-07-2010 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Will it? If people just visit the site they are subjected to more ads than when it is embedded.
dont quote me on this Dude but im sure Google do Earn Money from someone playing a Video clip linked from youtube site itself. its why iv'e never bothered signing up for a youtube account. Google can still see how many hits a clip gets whether your signed in or not.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 05-07-2010 at 08:57 AM

Lol?

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 05-07-2010 at 09:19 AM

i dont think "Ads" have a baring whether you visit the site or not Google still earn Money from it as the clip is stored on there site ( that being youtube) i might be wrong an if i am i'll say so or if someone can get me facts. but IMO with Video clips being showed in 2010 there has to be somehting in it for Google or else i think there would be a lawsuit between Google an Microsoft

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 05-07-2010 at 09:42 AM

Paranoid much?

Heaven forbid that a company tries to make some profit from a service that the end user gets for FREE

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 05-07-2010 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
i dont think "Ads" have a baring whether you visit the site or not Google still earn Money from it as the clip is stored on there site ( that being youtube) i might be wrong an if i am i'll say so or if someone can get me facts.
There probably are ads in of the embedded videos, like the lower third ones which slide up, and on some videos you see one at the end of the video. My point was when your watch a video on the Youtube site itself they can show you those same ads + the ones on the actual page around the video itself. So visiting the site makes them more money than embedded videos.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
its why iv'e never bothered signing up for a youtube account. Google can still see how many hits a clip gets whether your signed in or not.
Uhm yes, every site can count visitors based on IP addresses. Don't see what them making money from embedded videos has to do with not creating an account though. Nobody is forcing you, only need one if you want to comment or upload your own videos.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 05-07-2010 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Paranoid much?

Heaven forbid that a company tries to make some profit from a service that the end user gets for FREE
no im not paranoid at all.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 06-24-2010 at 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=29235477352&share_id=136758859674438&comments=1#s136758859674438
We know you have many questions about the new Messenger, with the most common, "When is it going to be here?" Get ready because it's almost here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcYh6CY1_4
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 06-24-2010 at 04:29 AM

didnt know they were on facebook to, thanks for the link Mike
i cant see why people cant just install WLM2010 in a seperate folder an run both, cause i dont see patch making Plus compatible with a Beta Version.  unless this Project K is compatible with the beta

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 06:06 AM

Patchou usually releases a version of Plus! that has enough functionality with the beta that people will keep quiet for him to develop the proper version.......and in this case it's Plus! 5, so I envisage a version of Plus! 4 that's compatible with the beta very shortly after release

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 06-24-2010 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Patchou usually releases a version of Plus! that has enough functionality with the beta that people will keep quiet for him to develop the proper version.......and in this case it's Plus! 5, so I envisage a version of Plus! 4 that's compatible with the beta very shortly after release
remember. he has been talking more about Project K. dont assume there will be another Messenger Plus Live.  for all we know he may have renamed it to whatever this Project K is. . Patch has only made a few versions compatible with a Beta, not all beta's. matty would be the only one that knows among his other counterparts
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 08:13 AM

There is definitely going to be another Messenger Plus! Live.....there's no doubt about that.  Project K is something different

While he has only made a few versions compatible with a beta, they have all been recent, as the growing Plus! userbase doesn't seem to want to wait, so to avoid undue pressure on the next stable release of Plus!, he's released a compatible version to avoid people ResHacking and the like and then reporting false bugs

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 06-24-2010 at 08:22 AM

quote:
There is definitely going to be another Messenger Plus! Live.....there's no doubt about that.  Project K is something different

While he has only made a few versions compatible with a beta, they have all been recent, as the growing Plus! userbase doesn't seem to want to wait, so to avoid undue pressure on the next stable release of Plus!, he's released a compatible version to avoid people ResHacking and the like and then reporting false bugs
have you got evidence to back that up that there will be another MSG Plus Live?  as far as i can tell Patch has talked more about a Project K, not a MSG Plus Live. i'll believe it when i see it.  not that i use it anyway,
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 08:30 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/basicsearch.php?do=se...=&lookin=msg&sort=

And that's just the sample from a quick search for "Plus! 5" by Patchou ;)

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Hank on 06-24-2010 at 08:45 AM

i have looked, he usually posts stuff in the " announcement" forum. however he didnt make the first post in that thread about it. you stil havent actually given me evidence that there is actually gonna be one.

this is a Question better asked to our friends at Yuna. im not gonna waste my time doing it

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 06-24-2010 at 08:51 AM

They're working hard on both Project K and Plus! 5, is what Patchou said in a mail a couple of days ago.

My guess is Project K will be done before Plus! 5 though, just because they seem to have started on that first, and I don't think any major Plus! version would be released before the major version of Messenger is final.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
this is a Question better asked to our friends at Yuna. im not gonna waste my time doing it
So don't waste our time if you're not going to be satisfied with anything we say anyway.
RE: WLM 2010 revealed by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 08:51 AM

There is no doubt about Messenger Plus! 5 happening!  You posting things like that is only gonna cause extra alarmist crap and we get enough of that around here anyway.

Just because there hasn't been and official announcement in the announcements forum saying "Messenger Plus! Live 5 is coming!" doesn't mean that its not happenoing.

In all of those threads Patchou mentions Messenger Plus! Live 5....as well as it being mentioned by him in many other threads.  If you don't want to believe me, just search through his posts, he doesn't post THAT frequently that it'll be too hard to find. 

Just please stop with the completely unfounded speculation when there's enough people that get the knickers in a twist anyway.

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Mike on 06-25-2010 at 02:21 PM

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1543023740486

RE: WLM 2010 revealed by Menthix on 06-25-2010 at 02:38 PM

Continue in Essentials Public Beta release

Before we have two separate discussions about the same thing.