Shoutbox

Couldn't install programs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Couldn't install programs (/showthread.php?tid=93192)

Couldn't install programs by Lujka on 12-12-2009 at 07:46 PM

Hello!

I've got a problem with WLM installation. Whatever I do, whichever version I try to install, I keep getting the same message:

"Couldn't install programs
Use Windows Update to download the latest version of Windows Installer, and then try again."

I tried by installing an older version, but I can't sign in with it ("A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?") When I download the newer version this way, first I get a security warning ("Do you want to run this software?") and after I run it, it brings me back to the previous message ("Couldn't install programs...")

Have no idea what to do :(   I would appreciate any help.

RE: Couldn't install programs by Nagamasa on 12-12-2009 at 10:00 PM

What is the version of your OS? WLM?

RE: Couldn't install programs by Lujka on 12-13-2009 at 12:21 AM

Windows XP,  WLM Version 8.0 (the one that asks for upgrade)

RE: Couldn't install programs by Lujka on 12-13-2009 at 12:44 AM

Forgot to say, the details say:

Error: msi_check 0x80280002

Next steps: Your version of Windows Installer is out of date

RE: Couldn't install programs by djdannyp on 12-13-2009 at 03:57 AM

Have you done as it asks and used Windows Update to downloaded the latest Windows Installer?

I'd suggest there's a LOT more updates to do as well if you don't have the latest version of Windows Installer.

You should ensure that your computer is properly patched and up to date with everything otherwise you are taking unnecessary security risks.

Run Windows Update via Internet Explorer (Tools->Windows Update) and then install everything it asks you to (will probably take several hours and several restarts)

One of the things it will prompt you to install is Windows Live Essentials....which is the suite that contains the new WLM

RE: Couldn't install programs by Lujka on 12-13-2009 at 12:06 PM

Thank you soooo much! Did all this and it's working fine now! :D I'm very grateful for your help!