Shoutbox

Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? (/showthread.php?tid=93300)

Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 01:19 AM

At the moment i have a regular 100mb wired only router/modem. But i recently got a new laptop, so i was wanting to do a wireless network on the cheap, so i got a WiFi N USB dongle. And my laptop has an inbuilt Wireless N adapter (Intel Wireless 5100).

The problem is, one of the devices (or both) can only do 802.11b/g ad hoc networking.... And i would like to fully utilise my network speeds and coverage....

So my question is, is there any way to "trick" the network into being a regular structural one? I’m very aware that it is most likely that i WONT be able to do this.... But if anyone has any ideas/tips, i am quite willing to hear them out :)

EDIT:
At the moment to get the internet to run through it, i had to bridge my regular connection (ethernet port) with my USB dongle (its a RTL8129U)

The Realtek config utility that came with it doesnt quite work.... Ive had to create a "temporary ad hoc"connection in Windows 7 (they both are using Windows 7)  in order to get anything working....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by Jarrod on 12-23-2009 at 01:24 AM

can't you broadcast a wireless signal from the dongle and have the machine it's attached to act as a wireless switch?

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 01:27 AM

Well that’s what I’m attempting to do.... It’s the how that’s not quite working.....

At the moment to get the internet to run through it, i had to bridge my regular connection (ethernet port) with my USB dongle (its a RTL8129U)

The Realtek config utility that came with it doesnt quite work.... Ive had to create a "temporary ad hoc"connection in Windows 7 (they both are using Windows 7)  in order to get anything working....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by toddy on 12-23-2009 at 01:30 AM

buy a wireless router !?

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 01:32 AM

That would work. But I’m not going to be at my current residence for much longer, and where I’m going i can’t bring my router. So i would like to avoid that.....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by Jarrod on 12-23-2009 at 01:35 AM

lol well I haven't used windows for quite a while. I said something in one of the macvspc arguments that it was easy to do on osx, someone responded saying it was easy to do on windows also
so well it should be possible
[Image: attachment.php?pid=982505]

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 01:57 AM

Im fairly sure thats just for an ad hoc network....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by Jarrod on 12-23-2009 at 02:03 AM

it basically turns my macbook into an access point anyone can connect to it with out any configuration. Just like a wireless access point, they can all play lan games via it too :), it's not just device to device

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 02:06 AM

Yeah, its auto config access point. But the problem is, to the hardware its still an ad hoc. My hardware, see's any ad hoc type network and switchs to b/g. Im needing some n speeds and coverage. Mostly the coverage though....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by lizard.boy on 12-23-2009 at 05:04 AM

My suggestion would still be with the wireless router. Buy one, turn off the DHCP, and connect it to your current router using the switch ports on both routers. Nothing is stopping you from taking a router to a new residence and running it like this except for politics.. in which case It's easier to play stupid and beg for forgiveness if/when the find out.

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 05:10 AM

Nah where I’m going is a University College, they have all the stuff there, it would be useless for me to bring it there.... They already have full wireless N and gigabit networking.....

Im not strictly disallowed, but it would be a waste of money.....

Someone else suggested using Linux and iptables..... Anyone had an experience with that?

EDIT:From the description Connectify sounds like it could do it. But it is having issues with my wireless adapter....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by lizard.boy on 12-23-2009 at 05:25 AM

Which device were you planning on running Linux on? If you're thinking the one connected to the lan, you would have to wipe out Windows (or dual boot and only use wireless half the time), and even then you'd be lucky if the distribution will support the wireless dongle properly without some massive tweaking. Getting a wireless router really is the easiest way to do this, and probably the most effective.

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-23-2009 at 05:29 AM

I know it’s the easiest, but i can’t really, and the challenge is more satisfying, even if at the end nothing comes to fruition....

I was just going to virtualise my Linux and connect my USB dongle straight into the machine (bypassing Windows). Using Virtrualbox of course....

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by toddy on 12-23-2009 at 07:14 PM

basic wireless routers cost very little (2nd hands one's got be got for pennies), and can be used in the future/left at home for others to use. so the best & easiest is to buy a router

RE: Is it possible to "trick" an ad hoc network into being a structural? by mattisdada on 12-24-2009 at 03:03 AM

HA! Done it :)

To get it to work all i did was download this, http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/Release/Project...px?ReleaseId=36035
And it was that easy.... :)