Shoutbox

Wireless N questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wireless N questions (/showthread.php?tid=93302)

Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 12-23-2009 at 02:10 AM

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding Wireless N system and modem/router combos that utilize Wireless N. Im quite newb at all this stuff, so bear with me :P

1. Wireless N is "backwards compatible" yes? As in does it also comprises of b and g?

2. Sorta inline with question number 1, if I have a wireless adapter which only works with wireless b and g, will it still be able to pick up internet from the wireless N router?

3.Once again sorta inline with first 2; by having the increased wireless range that N gives (as compared to b and g), will wireless b/g adapters outside the usual b/g range still be able to connect to the network?

4. Is it really worth it to get a wireless N modem/router as opposed to just a b/g?

will add more questions as I think of them :P

Appreciate the help :)

RE: Wireless N questions by tony on 12-23-2009 at 02:25 AM

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes, but not as far away as a regular 802.11n

4. Depends on your network usage, usually 802.11n is used for media streaming as you will get around 300mbps instead of the 54mbps of a 802.11g or 11mbps for 802.11b

RE: Wireless N questions by prashker on 12-23-2009 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
4. Depends on your network usage, usually 802.11n is used for media streaming as you will get around 300mbps instead of the 54mbps of a 802.11g or 11mbps for 802.11b

Keep in mind that a regular hard drive will bottleneck Wireless-N :p
RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 12-23-2009 at 03:16 AM

quote:

3. Yes, but not as far away as a regular 802.11n

so it will be slightly bigger range, but still not as big as a wireless n adapter, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Keep in mind that a regular hard drive will bottleneck Wireless-N :p
explain?!?!

quote:

The main reason im thinking of getting wireless N is for the increased range, because I want the whole house to have wireless with good speed and no dropouts.

thanks for the answers btw :)
RE: Wireless N questions by Adeptus on 12-23-2009 at 03:27 AM

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No.  802.11 b/g is what it is, regardless what else one end might support. If you gain any additional range, it would be coincidental and due to the design differences of the new router (all consumer grade products operate at some small fraction of the permitted maximum power and have less-than-optimal antennas; obviously, some suck less than others).

4. Usually not for people who just want wireless Internet access, unless they have ungodly fast Internet or truly need the range (in which case they must get 802.11n hardware on both ends).  If you are doing home networking between your computers, working with large files, etc.  then yes, it could benefit you. 

SonicSam's point doesn't stand because the stated transfer rates of all 802.11 protocols are best case, which almost never is your case.  In reality, depending on the distance, terrain and interference level, all the protocols will be falling back quite a few notches to maintain reliable communications.  Unless you are sitting right next to your access point, you may need 802.11n just to get the 54Mbps you might presently be expecting from 802.11g.  I've seen marginal WiFi connections fall back to dialup modem speeds of the 90s.

RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 12-23-2009 at 05:57 AM

Well what is the "range" of a b/g device?
The setup that I think I will be having is this:
Room number 1 has the modem/router.
Room number 2 uses a wireless usb adapter to connect to internet and is about 7-8m away from Room 1 (and on the same storey)
Any other computers using the internet would be laptops, on a lower storey and on the other side of the house.

Will b/g suffice?

RE: Wireless N questions by Menthix on 12-23-2009 at 11:29 AM

In a lot of cases a single b/g accesspoint covers the entire house when placed well. Of course that depends on the material of your walls and size of the house too.

RE: Wireless N questions by kezz on 12-24-2009 at 05:03 AM

"b" and "g" both have a maximum indoor range of around 45m, and as Menthix said, the success of your setup will rely on the placement of the hardware, and the construction materials and size of your house. But from what you have explained, it should work to a reasonable standard.

RE: Wireless N questions by toddy on 12-24-2009 at 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
But from what you have explained, it should work to a reasonable standard
since it has stated what his walls are made out of, how can u claim that. at my parents house i could be 4 meters away from their router and not get any signal
RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 12-24-2009 at 01:46 PM

I've decided to go Wireless N on both ends simply because my budget can stretch that far :P

Any particular brands anyone suggests? I was thinking Netgear for both since I've used Netgear products before and they seem to be good and easy to set up.

RE: Wireless N questions by tony on 12-25-2009 at 03:07 PM

Get cisco if possible :p

RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 01-02-2010 at 01:36 AM

Ok I searched around abit, and Im thinking one of the following three modem/routers:
Linksys by Cisco WAG120N
Netgear DGN2000
D-Link DSL2740B

I'm leaning more towards the Netgear because I like how with a press of a button you can enable/disable WiFi. The Cisco one doesnt have that, but it looks so much nicer :P

RE: Wireless N questions by kezz on 01-02-2010 at 06:11 AM

That Cisco does look pretty amazing. :chrongue:
How much do you really need that one-touch connect/disconnect button?

RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 01-02-2010 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
That Cisco does look pretty amazing. :chrongue:
How much do you really need that one-touch connect/disconnect button?
I could live without it, but it would just be alot easier if i had it, lets put it that way ;)
RE: Wireless N questions by Menthix on 01-02-2010 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
I could live without it, but it would just be alot easier if i had it, lets put it that way ;)
Would you really ever need to disable wireless access though? These devices don't take much power and are designed to be on 24/7. And as long as your accesspoint is properly secured why even take the effort to switch it off when it's not being used?
RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 01-02-2010 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Would you really ever need to disable wireless access though? These devices don't take much power and are designed to be on 24/7. And as long as your accesspoint is properly secured why even take the effort to switch it off when it's not being used?

Lets just say for my situation, this could be simpler if I had that button. But like i said, i could live without it.

That being said, which one would you recommend? Im guessing the Cisco one if your both saying I dont need the button :P
Also note, the wireless reciever will be a Netgear, just in case that makes a change in your mind :P
Personally, the Cisco one and the Netgear one are on par with eachother, so I need other opinions to help make the decision :)
RE: Wireless N questions by Menthix on 01-02-2010 at 02:56 PM

I have/had both Linksys and real Cisco hardware and very happy with it. No experience with your particular model, but the good old black and blue Linksys APs, and routers, and now a flashy Cisco accesspoint, and not for the looks, because all the networking hardware is in a place where I hardly ever see it anyway.

I'd go for the Linksys. But the Netgear one seems decent too, just don't have any experience with them, but looks good from the info on the site. Wouldn't pick the D-Link, doubtful how well integrated antennas which can be turned to a preferred position preform.

RE: Wireless N questions by tony on 01-02-2010 at 09:55 PM

Get Cisco.

RE: Wireless N questions by Th3rmal on 01-05-2010 at 11:14 AM

*Bump* Any other opinions from anyone? (A)

RE: Wireless N questions by NanaFreak on 01-05-2010 at 11:33 AM

i have always liked dlink, but thats just because i think i have only used them... though i have seen some administration panels of other brands and it WAY prefer dlink over them...

RE: Wireless N questions by davidpolitis on 01-05-2010 at 09:29 PM

Buffalo routers are meant to be nice and come with DD-WRT firmware already installed iirc.