Shoutbox

MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) (/showthread.php?tid=93324)

MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 12-25-2009 at 03:47 PM

Hello everyone.

I have released an updated version of my DirectUI element viewer program that is compatible the latest Windows Live software. (This program takes a live snapshot of what is currently inside of the window and shows it to you.)

The download is here:
http://memskin.fanatic.net.nz/?p=6
Keep in mind that this program is targeted at people interested in seeing the structure of a DirectUI window.  A normal user will have no practical use for this program.

Let me quote the download page:

quote:
Description: This is a pre-release version (beta so to speak) of the new MSNCoreFun program. New features include element selection and compatibility with the latest Windows Live Applications (those using uxcore.dll). The program also in certain conditions allows viewing elements of non-Windows Live DirectUI based applications such as Windows Explorer and the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet. This version has removed the list selector for windows and has replaced it with a drag and drop finder tool. This change is due to changes in the way windows are structure in the various Windows Live applications.
Requirements: This time all needed run time libraries have been statically linked in to the executable.
Known Issues:
    * Data contexts are currently not supported.
    * Dumping DirectUI data from applications that do not link to uxcore.dll currently requires that system debugging symbols be located in c:\symbols
    * 64 bit applications are currently not supported. (32 bit DLLs do not play nicely with 64 bit applications.)

As this is a "preview release", there may still be issues that I have not noticed.  If you experience any issues, please let me know.
RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by warmth on 12-25-2009 at 08:14 PM

I can't download it :(

RE: RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 12-26-2009 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
I can't download it :(
Oops, I messed up the link. Sorry.
I've fixed it now. Please try again.
RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by Chrissy on 12-26-2009 at 01:33 AM

Can you post some screen-shots? :)

Thanks,

RE: RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 12-26-2009 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Can you post some screen-shots?
As you wish...

Image number 1:
RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 12-26-2009 at 03:28 AM

Image Number 2:

RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by warmth on 12-26-2009 at 06:32 AM

One word! AMAZING! :O

RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by Basilis on 12-26-2009 at 04:31 PM

Great tool. Congratulations for your work.

RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 06-03-2010 at 01:47 PM

Hello All,

I have decided to move this project to open source.  Please feel free to contribute if you wish.  If you're just curious as to what the source looks like, free free to use the browse feature on the website.

http://msncorefun.codeplex.com/

RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by matty on 06-03-2010 at 02:21 PM

Finally! It was only a matter of time! Way to go! I am sure this will help a large number of people!

RE: MSNCoreFun Preview (DirectUI Element Viewer) by TheSteve on 06-03-2010 at 10:49 PM

Don't be so sure until you've looked at the code. The DirectUI portions of the code are so messy due to compatibility that it might be hard to understand what's happening for some. If anyone has questions about the code, let me know.
If you use this code or a derivitive of the code in your application, shoot me a message.  I'm always interested in what this code could turn in to. :)