Shoutbox

Switch surround sound channels? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Switch surround sound channels? (/showthread.php?tid=93354)

Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 12-28-2009 at 06:07 PM

A few months ago, I got a new desk for my computer. Before I had the desk, the living room was like this (1337 Paint skills are following): EDIT: Looks like I forgot to put the subwoofer in the images. It doesn't really matter though.

[Image: beforedesk.png]

I used to sit at the armchair and the monitor and the TV were in front of me.

Now, I've put a desk (which is now where my computer is) between the R and the RR channels:

[Image: afterdesk.png]

As you can see however, the audio channels are now messed up due to this change! :(
So, I was wondering, is there any way to make the audio channels like this?

[Image: afterdesk2.png]

Physically switching the cables is not an option, since there are times where I want to sit on the armchair and watch something from the computer on the TV.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a hardware-based solution that where I would be able to select which channels setting I want with a rocker switch or something similar.
The device would have 3 female 3.5mm audio ports which would be connected to the computer via 3 line in cables. The output would be another 3 female 3.5mm audio ports where the cables that are connected to the speakers would be plugged in. Depending on the state of the rocker switch, the device would either "send" the audio as it was received (which means that I'm sitting on the armchair, watching TV), or "send" it to the "correct" speakers (L->R, R->RR, RL->L, RR->RL, C->?? (possibly R and RR?)).
Is that even possible? :P

Offtopic: Here's a picture of the desk:
[Image: 5660_250506100493_659275493_8532125_2506395_n.jpg]

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-02-2010 at 10:44 PM

Bump. Anyone? :P

I've also drawn two small schematics to show you what I mean by the hardware-based solution.

When the switch/button is into position 1 the setup for watching TV will be used:

[Image: speakerstv.PNG]

When the switch/button is into position 2 the setup for using the computer will be used:

[Image: speakerspc.png]

Would that work? :P

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Menthix on 01-02-2010 at 11:47 PM

I'm in the same kind of situation (surround speakers positioned properly for TV, but incorrect when using the PC. Wondered the same too, and if you do find an affordable solution I'd like to hear it, but didn't put too much effort into looking for it myself.

The things is, while all my audio from my PC comes through my surround speakers, not much audio from my PC actually is surround sound. None of the music, none of the regular applications, movies are mainly played on the TV screen, high-end games I play on Xbox (TV)... simple games generally don't do surround. So yeah, PC mostly does stereo (x2) where it doesn't that much how speakers are positioned.

Also: If you really want proper surround sound on your PC you also have the center speaker to deal with where by far most of the sound comes from. Watching a movie or playing a game where all of the dialog comes only from the left side gets tiring quickly.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Wondered the same too, and if you do find an affordable solution I'd like to hear it
I've made a topic on an electronics forum I found on Google asking for help on that hardware-based solution. Let's see if anyone will reply...

I believe that the hardware solution is the best solution since it works on all OSes and shouldn't have any added latency (where a software-based solution might introduce more latency).

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
The things is, while all my audio from my PC comes through my surround speakers, not much audio from my PC actually is surround sound. None of the music, none of the regular applications, movies are mainly played on the TV screen, high-end games I play on Xbox (TV)... simple games generally don't do surround.
I understand what you're talking about :P
Sometimes I use SRS Audio Sandbox which will make music play in 5.1. It does a good job at it (at least that's what my ears tell me; not sure about your ears :P). Give it a try.
RE: Switch surround sound channels? by wj on 01-03-2010 at 03:24 AM

Best bet is probably going to be to just have a box where you route the connections through and you can throw a switch that would throw a set of relays setup to make the connections.

Seem like the best option to me.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
and you can throw a switch that would throw a set of relays setup to make the connections.
Can you explain that a little more please? I suck at electronics :P

Like I've said in the other forum, do I have to use a relay? Will a simple 6PDT switch work?
RE: Switch surround sound channels? by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 09:08 PM

If you can find a decent 6PDT switch, it's very possible it would work. The alternative is to essentially build a 6PDT out of relays. Though I'm pretty sure you don't need to switch the subwoofer, so you would only need a 5PDT.

The following information may make it clearer, it may make it worse. if you don't fully understand I don't blame you, just disregard it. There's no real solution here, just some background on relays.

Most relays have a NC and an NO contact. NC being normally closed and NO being normally open. The common pole is connected to one or the other depending on if power is applied or not. NC and NO are based on when there is no power applied to the relay.

Basically this means when your switch is off (open), there is no power applied to the coil of the relay. When there is no power applied to the coil of the relay the Normally Closed output leg is closed (on), and at the same time the Normally Open output leg is open (off).

When you apply power to your relay coil. the NO leg is closed (on) and the NC leg is OPEN (off).

So in your case you would have the input coming into the common leg, and one set of outputs connected to the NC and one set to the NO.

I would highly suggest NOT combining your center and left/right speaker channels. It's typically not expected when the receiver company builds the receiver and you don't know what will happen when the power is coming/going from different channels.

My solution would be to add an additional center channel speaker and switch between the two instead of trying to mix the audio signals. If you're only using 2 channel audio you may not even notice that you don't have it..

EDIT: To answer your question in the other forum, yes you would need a power source to operate your relays. An old 5V wall charger from a cell phone would probably be your best bet.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by stoshrocket on 01-03-2010 at 09:19 PM

6PDT will work if you can get your hands on one, I've never really seen them available to be honest, but they certainly exist - might be worth noting it could well be a cheaper and less confusing (debatable) to use multiple smaller relays, ie 2 x 3PDT or even 3 x DPDT.

You'd have a circuit with a DC battery (voltage depandant on what relays you end up choosing) running through the relays and a switch inline. As for the relays, you simply wire up the two possible inputs and outputs. Here's a sample relay wiring diagram on a single DPDT for just the L and R inputs of your PC:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=983607]

Note: I'm not entirely sure if this'll work with audio, If there are multiple cores carried through a 3.5mm cable, or if combining channels is the best idea, I use relays all the time for robotics but that's just to redirect power, not actual signals...

EDIT: dammit... Lizard.boy sneaked in there while I was constructing my reply :P

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 09:32 PM

I know in a standard 3.5mm audio cable there are two channels and a common return. You could think of them as +R, +L, and -both.  I don't know if mixing return paths between the 3 outputs on the motherboard is acceptable or not, so it's quite possible that you would need to factor that into your design.

My first instinct would be to place the device between the receiver and the speakers, instead of the PC and the receiver, and switch the "grounds" at the same time as switching the channels.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-03-2010 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
If you can find a decent 6PDT switch, it's very possible it would work.
Define "decent" please :P

quote:
Though I'm pretty sure you don't need to switch the subwoofer, so you would only need a 5PDT.
Do these even exist? A Google Image search for 5PDT shows irrelevant images, but does show some pictures of 6PDT switches when searching for 6PDT.

quote:
The following information may make it clearer, it may make it worse. if you don't fully understand I don't blame you, just disregard it. There's no real solution here, just some background on relays.
Thanks, now relays make more sense :P

quote:
I would highly suggest NOT combining your center and left/right speaker channels. It's typically not expected when the receiver company builds the receiver and you don't know what will happen when the power is coming/going from different channels.

My solution would be to add an additional center channel speaker and switch between the two instead of trying to mix the audio signals. If you're only using 2 channel audio you may not even notice that you don't have it..

Alright, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll see if I can add speaker on the desk.

quote:
EDIT: To answer your question in the other forum, yes you would need a power source to operate your relays. An old 5V wall charger from a cell phone would probably be your best bet.
Bah! :(
Having a power source seems weird since I will only be rerouting the signals :-/
Is there any reason to prefer relays over a standard switch?

quote:
Originally posted by stoshrocket
might be worth noting it could well be a cheaper and less confusing (debatable) to use multiple smaller relays, ie 2 x 3PDT or even 3 x DPDT.
Can you create an example diagram please? I can imagine how the diagram for using a 5PDT/6PDT would be, but I'm not sure about this one :P

quote:
My first instinct would be to place the device between the receiver and the speakers, instead of the PC and the receiver, and switch the "grounds" at the same time as switching the channels.
Hmmm ... that would be hard because I use two different receivers (one for the L/R channels and another one for the rest of the channels).
RE: RE: Switch surround sound channels? by lizard.boy on 01-03-2010 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
If you can find a decent 6PDT switch, it's very possible it would work.
Define "decent" please :P

Priced right, doesn't feel like it'll fall apart in your hands. (not uncommon for cheap stuff)
quote:
quote:
Though I'm pretty sure you don't need to switch the subwoofer, so you would only need a 5PDT.
Do these even exist? A Google Image search for 5PDT shows irrelevant images, but does show some pictures of 6PDT switches when searching for 6PDT.

Forgot about that, very possible it dosn't exist.
quote:
quote:
Thanks, now relays make more sense :P

Your Welcome :)
quote:
quote:

Alright, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll see if I can add speaker on the desk.

If your switching before the amplifier or receiver, that is not possible, so also keep that in mind.
quote:
quote:
Bah! :(
Having a power source seems weird since I will only be rerouting the signals :-/
Is there any reason to prefer relays over a standard switch?

Not in this case, Relays are preferred where you want to control the circuit electrically when another device turns on for example. In this case it would be easier to have one switch turn on 3 DPDT relays instead of hitting 3 switches each time you change your seat. (for example) You could also remotely locate the swicth by running 2 wires instead of 12 (6 in 6 out).
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoshrocket
might be worth noting it could well be a cheaper and less confusing (debatable) to use multiple smaller relays, ie 2 x 3PDT or even 3 x DPDT.
Can you create an example diagram please? I can imagine how the diagram for using a 5PDT/6PDT would be, but I'm not sure about this one :P
Not quoting me, but that's ok. For example, you can use 3 relays with the same switch operating 3 coils and they will operate in unison. This is probably the route you will want to take if you are using relays, since they are much easier to find than 6 pole relays. It would work exactly like a 5P/6P except it would be more physical units with the coil (control) side wired in parallel.
quote:
quote:
Hmmm ... that would be hard because I use two different receivers (one for the L/R channels and another one for the rest of the channels).
Depending on how your speakers are hooked up, it may not matter if they are connected to 1, 2, or 6 receivers/amplifiers. Does the end of the speaker cables have 2 bare wires in pinch jacks, rca jacks, or some sort of proprietary connection?
RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Adeptus on 01-03-2010 at 11:44 PM

I thought I already posted this, but guess I just wrote it and never hit "post".

You can re-wire a VGA or parallel switchbox, a mechanical one like this.  It will provide a suitable switch as well as a housing.

quote:
I don't know if mixing return paths between the 3 outputs on the motherboard is acceptable or not, so it's quite possible that you would need to factor that into your design.
I expect that it would be.  I am sure they are all just a common ground.

quote:
My first instinct would be to place the device between the receiver and the speakers, instead of the PC and the receiver, and switch the "grounds" at the same time as switching the channels
I think switching inputs is a better idea, because here you are not only going to deal with considerable current, but you will also have to switch twice as many lines (speaker returns usually are not common grounds).  Also, anything shorting out here, even momentarily, could blow the amplifier.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by stoshrocket on 01-04-2010 at 12:07 AM

NB: Example of multiple relays wiring:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=983626]

(Sorry about the slightly wierd overlapping wiring on the relay side, it's basically three relays in parallel but showing them side by side too too much room...)

This will act in the same way as a single 6PDT in place of the 3 DPDT, but in my experience this way would be cheaper and less confusing only switching the 2 channels per relay. If it turns out you end up not switching central and SW then you can obviously remove the bottom relay (or just use a single 4PDT).

As for 5PDT, I'm pretty sure they'd exist, it's not like you need an even number of inputs, 3PDT are quite common. However, I'd still stick down the multiple DPDT route, it'll just make things easier, I've personally never seen anything larger in a simple pin format, from the amounts of times I've wired something wrong with a larger relay I've just ended up thinking it's not worth the hassle!

RE: RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-04-2010 at 12:09 AM

So let me get this straight... If I take the relay route (which looks like is what I'll be taking), I'll have to build the following circuit, right (sorry for the crappy diagram)?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=983628]

Also, I should be able to use power from a USB port, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
You can re-wire a VGA or parallel switchbox, a mechanical one like this.  It will provide a suitable switch as well as a housing.
Thanks. Hmmm ... that looks a little harder :-/

EDIT: Thanks stoshrocket, that diagram looks a lot better than mine :P
RE: Switch surround sound channels? by lizard.boy on 01-04-2010 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, I should be able to use power from a USB port, right?
You can easily draw 500mA at 5V from a Usb port. If you wanted to get really fancy you could throw some transistors and a flip flop and have it USB controlled, but I'd stick to just getting it working. ;) All kidding aside, Getting power should be no problem though, just make sure your relays aren't too power hungry. Interfacing with USB is much harder and probably way overkill for your application.

I'm pretty sure that diagram is correct if your inputs are on the bottom. Not sure if it'd work in both directions. I'm assuming that when you're in your PC position the plan is to simply turn off the centre channel. Also: save yourself some connections and don't bother running the sub through the relay.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-04-2010 at 04:03 AM

So, to sum up, I will need:

-A construction box to house my project
-6 female 3.5mm audio ports
-3 line-in cables
-3 DPTD relays
-Some way to draw power from USB (I cut an extension cord for this purpose)
-A switch
-Lots of wires :P

By the way, should I go with a solid state relay? Is there anything more I need to ask for the relay at the store (example: voltage), or asking for "3 DPTD relays" is enough?

EDIT: I was reading this:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/relays/relays_for_switching_audio_signa.htm
There are some other things you need to know. Those coils in the electromagnets  - they act like (and are!) inductors. When you set up current in them to make the relay switch positions, you are loading up an inductor with current. When you try to turn it off, the inductor responds by reversing its voltage to try to keep the current flowing. This happens as fast as you can cut the current off, so inductors can make very fast, sharp voltage spikes. Since inductance varies as the square of the number of turns on a coil, it usually happens that many turns of very thin wire on a higher-voltage (and hence, lower current) version of a relay will have much larger inductance than the same-physical-size relay in a lower voltage (hence, fewer turns of larger copper wire) version. The coil inductance directly slows down the build up and ramp down of current in the coil when you apply a voltage, so in general, higher voltage relays take longer to operate.

The fast, sharp voltage spike that comes from the relay coil reversing its voltage to try to keep the current flowing can kill your driver transistor. You have to protect the device from the voltage spike. This is usually done by placing a diode in parallel with the relay coil, but in a direction where the diode does not conduct when the relay coil is turned on. The diode only conducts when the relay coil reverses the voltage across it at turn-off. This clamps the voltage spike to only one diode drop more than the power supply voltage.

Should I worry?
RE: Switch surround sound channels? by lizard.boy on 01-06-2010 at 04:54 PM

In this case you're not driving the relay with a transistor, so the reverse diode isn't quite as important. It is important to make sure you're using a relay with the correct coil voltage.

RE: Switch surround sound channels? by Mike on 01-09-2010 at 09:13 PM

quote:
It is important to make sure you're using a relay with the correct coil voltage.
Is that the lowest voltage that can make the relay switch (which in my case needs to be <=5V)?