Shoutbox

Laptop...worth buying? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Laptop...worth buying? (/showthread.php?tid=93357)

Laptop...worth buying? by Nagamasa on 12-28-2009 at 09:40 PM

I've been eying on a Dell Studio 15 since their Boxing Day flyers came out...I think it's pretty cheap for its price (probably going to use this well into Uni). Any opinions? Canadians?

Dell Studio 15

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.6GHz
15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Intel 5300 Ultimate-N Half Mini Card (3x3) with MyWiFi

...for $1199 CAD.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Chancer on 12-29-2009 at 12:24 AM

Specs look cool, but I can't say about the price.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Adeptus on 12-29-2009 at 04:59 AM

Just shop around some other brands and see.  Computer pricing changes very quickly.  No one can really tell you how good the price is, unless they've shopped for something with similar specs in the last month or two.

That said, Dell is usually very competitive and it is also a decent brand, particularly for laptops.  Unless you are interested in Lenovo's IBM-descended product lines (which can beat anything in quality and design, but will come at a substantial premium most non-corporate buyers are unwilling to pay) Dell would be my next recommendation, both for the overall quality and price/value.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by segosa on 12-29-2009 at 09:44 AM

I haven't even looked it up, but I imagine it'll weigh a tonne.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Chris4 on 12-30-2009 at 03:41 AM

$1199 CAD in all other currencies.

Looks like a good price for awesome specs. (Y)

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by albert on 12-30-2009 at 03:46 AM

As long as you don't expect to go around without that power adapter of yours, you should be fine (that i7 will EAT your battery).

Add an SSD to your system, will make it run a lot faster. Get an intel X25-M is you can afford it.

For the price, it's pretty good.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Nagamasa on 01-02-2010 at 05:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
which can beat anything in quality and design
Lenovos are as ugly as...my old CRT displays :P My friend got a ThinkPad in August...and it looks...like the demos at Ikea. But yes I've taken a look at them.
quote:
Originally posted by albert
Add an SSD to your system, will make it run a lot faster. Get an intel X25-M is you can afford it.
This thing is going to be my primary, and I don't have an external HD, so I don't think I can get an SSD for it. (Plus it's expensive.)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by John Anderton on 01-02-2010 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Lenovos are as ugly as...my old CRT displays :P My friend got a ThinkPad in August...and it looks...like the demos at Ikea. But yes I've taken a look at them.
Lenovos might not be pretty and as glossy as the Dell (yes, I have a SXPS 16 so I know what high end Dells are like) but they are cheap and have good performance.

I went with a friend to pick up a budget laptop for him and I must say, the lenovo was good. He even got a full keyboard (with a numpad) that I am kinda envious about now :P

High end dells (and everything else I'm guessing) eat up your battery. You can't travel anywhere without your adapter. I'm saying this from personal experience :)
It's good for a primary machine but if you plan to travel a lot, it's not totally the best thing. So it's really a judgment call tbh.

I used mine for 6 months but then my brother needed a Desktop Replacement so I gave him mine and took his Sony Vaio (crap machine but small and light). Now I'm seriously considering getting a lighter and more portable laptop next time around. I'd get a mac if those bloody things were cheaper :sad: I have a feeling I'll end up with a Lenovo or an Acer since they sell laptops with no OS. With Acer, I can run ubuntu on my machine without having to pay for Windows. Or use that unused Windows 7 license I have lying around my house :P
RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Adeptus on 01-02-2010 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Aderton
Lenovos might not be pretty and as glossy as the Dell (yes, I have a SXPS 16 so I know what high end Dells are like) but they are cheap and have good performance.
You clearly have been looking at non-Thinkpad Lenovo lines.  Thinkpads are anything but cheap.  What goes for them is the solid feel and the fact if you ever need to whack somebody in the head with your laptop, their skull will crack before the Thinkpad does.  Titanium frames, etc...
RE: Laptop...worth buying? by albert on 01-02-2010 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by John Aderton
You clearly have been looking at non-Thinkpad Lenovo lines.  Thinkpads are anything but cheap.  What goes for them is the solid feel and the fact if you ever need to whack somebody in the head with your laptop, their skull will crack before the Thinkpad does.  Titanium frames, etc...

* albert looks at my t400 and agrees.
Although, if you are a student you can get a sick price. Mine cost me 1100$ CAN taxes and shipping in.

Anyways, more on the solidity line :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw78gcU713g
RE: Laptop...worth buying? by ZrednaZ on 01-06-2010 at 05:28 PM

What exactly is the resolution on that screen? 1920x720? Less than 1024 vertical pixels might be annoying. I've found that 1680x1050 is the sweet spot for me and my programming. I know someone with a Dell Studio who isn't too fond of his machine - I don't know exactly why though, and his is a much older model.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Voldemort on 01-06-2010 at 07:45 PM

if you plan on carrying it around every day, like me, look for something under 2 kilograms, I don't care how strong you think you are, it gets really tiring. I've got a 2kg dell xps 1330 and I don't regret it.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Nagamasa on 01-07-2010 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
1920x720?
720p I think. Anyways, I'm used to it, I've been using 1280x800 for 3 years now.
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
if you plan on carrying it around every day, like me, look for something under 2 kilograms, I don't care how strong you think you are
Not to be arrogant, w/e, I carry at 25lb (11kg) Messenger bag with me daily. But yeah I have a laptop right now, and it's just right at 6lbs (which is similar to yours).
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
You can't travel anywhere without your adapter. I'm saying this from personal experience :)
Definitely. 30 minute battery power is fun! :D

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Just waiting confirmation from my parents.
RE: Laptop...worth buying? by Menthix on 01-07-2010 at 04:37 AM

The 720p screens (dodgy marketing) are 1366x768.

RE: Laptop...worth buying? by toddy on 01-07-2010 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
if you plan on carrying it around every day, like me, look for something under 2 kilograms, I don't care how strong you think you are, it gets really tiring. I've got a 2kg dell xps 1330 and I don't regret it.
rofl

mine weights like 4kg, plus then all the other crap i carry round with it. so 5/6 kg, never once have i thought this is heavy.

and personally i think lighter laptops cause more trouble then they're worth.
i've been using a netbook for the last couple of weeks, and whilst in public i was having to check every 5/10 that is hadn't been stolen, as i was/am convince that i wouldn't notice the weight difference if it was gone