Shoutbox

How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? (/showthread.php?tid=93379)

How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Domsy on 12-30-2009 at 01:43 PM

Hi.

I just logged on today and there's suddenly a "Fix Your PC" button appeared at the top of the contact list window next to the Messenger Plus button. How can we remove this? I assume it's been added by Messenger Plus? If it has, I don't appreciate it being added. I did not ask for that and did not give permission for it to appear there.

If not, has anyone got any idea where it came from and how I can remove it?

Thank you

Edit: Here is what the button looks like:
[Image: fixyourpcbutton.jpg]

And when you click it, this window appears:
[Image: reimagewindow.jpg]

Edit 2: I have found a way, but it also removes the Messenger Plus logo. Go to: Preferences > Messenger, under Contact List Customization, uncheck Add Messenger Plus! buttons in the contact list and contact cards. Shame that's the only way to do it though... Having the normal buttons is handy! Anyone know just how to remove the "Fix Your PC" button instead? Thanks.

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by M73A on 12-30-2009 at 03:40 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

quote:
Originally posted by Domsy
How can we remove this? I assume it's been added by Messenger Plus? If it has, I don't appreciate it being added. I did not ask for that and did not give permission for it to appear there.

If it is messenger plus it will be the sponsor programme. Which is only installed if you say yes.

[Image: mp360_sponsor1.gif]
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by prashker on 12-30-2009 at 03:45 PM

[Image: prefers_13809.png]

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by M73A on 12-30-2009 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://sonicsam.net/files/dump/prefers_13809.png

Just for my own knowledge, is that something that is only there if you install the sponsor? or is that something different?
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by prashker on 12-30-2009 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:

Just for my own knowledge, is that something that is only there if you install the sponsor? or is that something different?
Option is there regardless of sponsor installing or not. It's checked by default (which in my opinion seems the only reason why someone would use it, PATCHOU WHAT'S HAPPENING :()
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by M73A on 12-30-2009 at 03:51 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Option is there regardless of sponsor installing or not. It's checked by default (which in my opinion seems the only reason why someone would use it, PATCHOU WHAT'S HAPPENING :()

checked by default? hm, never even noticed this before!! apparently it is on my contact list also!

damn!
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by -dt- on 12-30-2009 at 04:25 PM

:-/

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Spunky on 12-30-2009 at 06:03 PM

Haven't got that, but have got the Game of the Month still...

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by prashker on 12-30-2009 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Haven't got that, but have got the Game of the Month still...
Same :p
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Chris4 on 12-30-2009 at 06:56 PM

Looks like it's UK only.

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Eljay on 12-30-2009 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Looks like it's UK only.

I don't have it, I still have the "Game of the Month" thing, so maybe not UK only. Weird.
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Chris4 on 12-30-2009 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Looks like it's UK only.

I don't have it, I still have the "Game of the Month" thing, so maybe not UK only. Weird.
What version have you got?
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Spunky on 12-30-2009 at 07:32 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Looks like it's UK only.

I just downloaded latest version and it's the same... and I'm UK :p
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Eljay on 12-30-2009 at 07:32 PM

quote:

It was 4.83.0.372 I believe when I checked earlier, just installed the latest from the website now (4.83.0.376) and still don't have this new ad.
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Spunky on 12-30-2009 at 07:33 PM

quote:
quote:

It was 4.83.0.372 I believe when I checked earlier, just installed the latest from the website now (4.83.0.376) and still don't have this new ad.

Site still only offering me 372 =/
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Menthix on 12-30-2009 at 07:40 PM

quote:
That's what they want you to think :p.

Seriously though, when you click download you'll get 376.
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Chrissy on 12-30-2009 at 08:02 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Same here. I'm in scotland. :S
RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Chris4 on 12-30-2009 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Chrissy on 12-30-2009 at 10:13 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

Still misleading :P
RE: RE: How can I remove the "Fix Your PC" button that's suddenly appeared? by Domsy on 12-30-2009 at 11:01 PM

quote:
[Image: prefers_13809.png]
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. It was checked by default and unchecking it works perfectly :)

It also the removes "Plus Games" from the toolbar on conversations, too. Can't recall clicking it so I can't remember what it was anyway.

quote:
If it is messenger plus it will be the sponsor programme. Which is only installed if you say yes.
This does not seem to be the case. I did not install the sponsor programme, yet the button still appeared. Seems like they're two separate things, as I'm sure the rest of the thread has clarified anyway.