Shoutbox

Best Places to Live in the World 2010 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=93461)

Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Chris4 on 01-07-2010 at 12:12 AM

Hey,

I stumbled across this and found it quite interesting, so I thought I'd see what you all thought.

Here are the top 25 places to live in the world...

[Image: attachmentl.png]
Note: I added up/down arrows to compare with 2009.

France has topped the chart for 5 years running.
The UK has dropped 5 places to dismal 25th.

Link: Quality of Life Index 2010 [2009]
Source: Daily Mail

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by toddy on 01-07-2010 at 12:31 AM

always a load of made up rubbish tbh.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Thor on 01-07-2010 at 12:38 AM

Their scores are, if anything, horribly entertaining.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by vaccination on 01-07-2010 at 12:43 AM

What a joke, the UK is way worse the 25th.

But srsly, France the best to live? Where was this poll conducted, France? rofl.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Toxn on 01-07-2010 at 12:45 AM

We all know Canada is the best place to live in.

BTW We all live in igloos and eat maple syrup and pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by blessedguy on 01-07-2010 at 02:41 AM

Uruguay. In top 25.

Someone was WAY high when doing that.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Th3rmal on 01-07-2010 at 03:32 AM

Australia is number 2. suck it bitches

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by NanaFreak on 01-07-2010 at 03:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Australia is number 2. suck it bitches
*presses like link*
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Nagamasa on 01-07-2010 at 03:58 AM

I'm surprised France is that high and UK is that low.

But go Canada go (As long as you aren't a big money-spender.)!

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by vaccination on 01-07-2010 at 09:02 AM

also, lol daily fail

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by John Anderton on 01-07-2010 at 09:34 AM

Clearly, Somalia is the place to be. :P

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Patchou on 01-08-2010 at 04:18 AM

France? 1st position?

hahahahahahahahahahaha

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by ZrednaZ on 01-08-2010 at 02:51 PM

"The land of the free" only gets a Freedom score of 92! ;) And how did the US earn that 100 infrastructure score with its limited public transportation system?

Also, I disagree that Somalia should have a Freedom score of 0. Their pirates, for instance, have plenty of freedom to do exactly as they please. ;)

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by blessedguy on 01-08-2010 at 03:03 PM

I'll let my rant a little hidden, won't obligate anyone to read it =P
"Environment    71", NICE! The whole Cerrado ecosystem simply won't exist in less than 5 years, the amazon and the pantanal are following the same path,big cities' inhabitants simply can't breathe, environmental education doesn't exist, recycling is seen as things done by "ecochatos" (ecoboring people), soy and sugar cane are being planted wherever possible, etc etc etc, and still, scores 71.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by user27089 on 01-08-2010 at 05:18 PM

How is this in any way scientific or even a "solid" list. There is literally no way that any answers could be unbiased or objective.

:(.

That being said. The United Kingdom is pretty poor - but no less poor than the United States. We have a beasty national health service. GO GO NHS \o/

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Phillip on 01-08-2010 at 05:21 PM

What a total surprise Australia is second 8-)

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by RaPLeX on 01-08-2010 at 05:27 PM

Grenada                   62
Singapore             61
Antigua & Barbuda     61
Turkey         61

:lipsrsealed:

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Stigmata on 01-08-2010 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

That being said. The United Kingdom is pretty poor - but no less poor than the United States. We have a beasty national health service. GO GO NHS \o/

What makes the UK poor?

I think its a great place to live :/
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by djdannyp on 01-08-2010 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

What makes the UK poor?

I think its a great place to live :/

Ditto...plus all of that is totally subjective anyway.  Surveys like this are totally pointless....one man's "great quality of life" is another man's nightmare.

For me, ENGLAND (not UK, completely stupid to say UK as it's 4/5 different countries :P) is, and always will be, the best place to live, no matter what any list says :P

To be honest, anyone who needs a survey or list to tell them where the best place to live is needs help ;)
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by toddy on 01-08-2010 at 08:29 PM

quote:

What makes the UK poor?
high prices
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by blessedguy on 01-08-2010 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
To be honest, anyone who needs a survey or list to tell them where the best place to live is needs help
(Y)

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
high prices
You haven't seen anything =P
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Stigmata on 01-08-2010 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

What makes the UK poor?
high prices

Yeah... in Ireland maybe, Britain is pretty cheap.
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Volv on 01-08-2010 at 11:01 PM

Ya, just look at how low the price of petrol is in Britain :p

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Stigmata on 01-09-2010 at 01:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv

Depends on where you are in the country :p

Within a 3 mile distance, I saw it go from £1.0399 to £1.0999
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by toddy on 01-09-2010 at 04:26 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Volv

Depends on where you are in the country :p

Within a 3 mile distance, I saw it go from £1.0399 to £1.0999
either way, that isn't cheap compared to the rest of the world.

we paid some of the highest taxes, yet our country comes in at 25th. which granted has some factors that you can't really control (things like weather), but how many things in the uk are average to shit/annoying. e.g.

my weekly bin gets emptied once a fortnight now - did council tax go down, don't think so. infact it went up
we used to have a road sweeper that did round the area every month, hasn't been seen in years now - again council tax
we paid the highest rate of tax on petrol in the world (iirc) - yet have some of the shittiest roads, both in terms in road layout/size & roads that are just falling apart, pot holes etc
public transport - not only is it expensive, its F'ing shite
NHS - lol
benefits - don't get me started (yes i know some people genuinely need the help, but not all the long term dossers who get ridiculous money)
MPs - we have mps that get paid £80K a year (or what ever it is), with massive expense allowances. Who not only have a sulk when the general public finds out about what they can claim and aren't happy, MPs then claim they wages aren't high enough. My arse, most of them don't know what a proper days work is! thats before you get onto the fact that most of them aren't needed and are just wasting tax money

should i go on?

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by davidpolitis on 01-09-2010 at 12:05 PM

Australia's probably number two due to our shitty internet and the filtering to be put in place!

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by vaccination on 01-09-2010 at 12:08 PM

lol at people still taking it seriously.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 03:10 AM

Australia second? old news.

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
Australia's probably number two due to our shitty internet and the filtering to be put in place!
I've been reading a lot of cases of violence in Australia of late in the newspapers. :sad:
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:
quote:
I've been reading a lot of cases of violence in Australia of late in the newspapers. :sad:

* Discrate goes to JA's profile and then starts hitting his screen with a baseball bat.
:sad:

You know i love you. [Image: old.gif]

Anyway all those attacks on indians is just a big thing blown out of proportion. An Indian guy gets attacked then before the police have even started investigating the Indian media are like "RACIST! RACIST ATTACK OMG RACIST! OMG WTF!" and then when the police have investigated it and determined it wasn't an attack based on race the Indian media doesn't retract there false accusations. They are to quick to judge everything and they make out Australia is as dangerous as Afghanistan. I think only 1 incident was proven to be based on race, there was another one but the indian was proved to be lying just to get attention.

I think New Indian students are just easy targets for crime because they are new, they don't know the place very well, they don't know how to keep themselfs safe from the kind of crime we have here.

Also another factor is that Indian students work part time jobs in some risky jobs at risky hours, such a service stations and fastfood places like McDonald and 7/11 and they work at these jobs at like 2am in the morning. You are bound to get drunk people walking home from the pub coming in and doing stupid stuff.

Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets. :P
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Phillip on 01-10-2010 at 06:31 AM

quote:
quote:
:lol: Yeah we're all just bunch of uneducated, ignorant racists :grin:.
RE: RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 06:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
quote:

Yes, and you should not travel here because as soon as you step off the plane all these white people will just run towards you and just start stabbing you.

Gotta love the Indian media 8-)
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by davidpolitis on 01-10-2010 at 06:40 AM

The main thing to piss me off was this:
[Image: r495673_2592509.jpg]

Assuming that he was killed by someone not of the same race is racist in itself. Also, I don't think the cartoonist actually realises how bad the KKK were.

If anyone is to complain about our racism, it is the indigenous people of the land... what we did to them was disgusting. (Assimilation etc.)

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 06:58 AM

I don't care if it's race based or not. I never even said that in my statement. The fact remains, people are being attacked. Be it nationals or not, it is the country's responsibility to take care of people in the country irrespective of whether they are nationals, visitors, student or new immigrants.

Yes, Indians have been attacked. Today's ToI (India's largest selling newspaper) states there have been 3 attacks in 10 days on Indians. Race based or not, that's a lot. I've read dozens of attack related news in the papers in the past couple of years. I don't have statistics but my estimate would be it's over 50 in the past year. And that's just Indians. If you consider everyone, I'm sure the number would be even higher. So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

India isn't considered to be the "safest" country on the planet. Other than terrorism (I've heard India has the highest number of terrorism caused deaths the past few years) we hardly have any non-nationals being caused harm to and every time it happens, a huge deal is made out of it.
Also, I have never seen/heard of a hold up or a random stabbing in our city and honestly, there are way better cities than Mumbai in the world when it comes to certain aspects :P

Australia being a "more developed nation", I honestly expect better. :)

quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets. :P
Well, you guys were being "fuck heads", it's not really that guy's fault, is it. I wouldn't expect him to do anything except stand back and let you do what you want and call the police once you guys leave.

Someone once said, the mark of a truly great nation is in how they treat their visitors.

Edit:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, and you should not travel here because as soon as you step off the plane all these white people will just run towards you and just start stabbing you.

Gotta love the Indian media 8-)
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wow, way to take it out of proportion.

My mistake for thinking we could actually have a civilized discussion.
Never mind.
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:00 AM

quote:
I don't care if it's race based or not. I never even said that in my statement. The fact remains, people are being attacked. Be it nationals or not, it is the country's responsibility to take care of people in the country irrespective of whether they are nationals, visitors, student or new immigrants.

Yes, Indians have been attacked. Today's ToI (India's largest selling newspaper) states there have been 3 attacks in 10 days on Indians. Race based or not, that's a lot. I've read dozens of attack related news in the papers in the past couple of years. I don't have statistics but my estimate would be it's over 50 in the past year. And that's just Indians. If you consider everyone, I'm sure the number would be even higher. So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

India isn't considered to be the "safest" country on the planet. Other than terrorism (I've heard India has the highest number of terrorism caused deaths the past few years) we hardly have any non-nationals being caused harm to and every time it happens, a huge deal is made out of it.
Also, I have never seen/heard of a hold up or a random stabbing in our city and honestly, there are way better cities than Mumbai in the world when it comes to certain aspects :P

Australia being a "more developed nation", I honestly expect better. :)

quote:
Well, you guys were being "fuck heads", it's not really that guy's fault, is it. I wouldn't expect him to do anything except stand back and let you do what you want and call the police once you guys leave.

Someone once said, the mark of a truly great nation is in how they treat their visitors.

It would be pretty hard for the police to give extra protection to a select group of people.

Also yes there has been attacks on 3 Indians in the last 10 days, but in the last 10 days atleast 50+ white people have had crimes commited against them in Australia, shall we kick up a fuss? shall we say they are racist attacks? Should we demand to have extra protection for white people?

See my point? :P It's just random crime regardless of race or nationality.

Edit:
quote:
So my question to you is, don't you think the violence is high in a country where hundreds of people (even non nationals) are killed every year in random attacks?

I think the figure is 100 people in Australia get murdered a year, 65,000 people in India get murdered a year, and that's just the ones reported. Big difference isn't it?

Over the last 10 years 50 Australians have been either killed or bashed in India, why wasn't that reported on Indian media? it wasn't even reported here. No one even kicked up a fuss.

Crime is everywhere, no matter where you are in the world, and just because Australia is a devoloped country, doesn't mean there wont be crimes like stabbings etc and just because you haven't heard of stabbings in your city, doesn't mean they don't happen. Australia does have one of the lowest crime rates in the world, and i would go as far as to say Indians are safer here then they are in India.
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 07:12 AM

quote:
It would be pretty hard for the police to give extra protection to a select group of people.
I never asked for a select group to be protected.

quote:
I think the figure is 100 people in Australia get murdered a year, 65,000 people in India get murdered a year, and that's just the ones reported. Big difference isn't it?
I'm talking about the cities. I have a feeling 100 is slightly inaccurate :P
Anyway, if a high percentage of those "100" are from one ethnic background, don't you think that's reason for concern?
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:13 AM

quote:
quote:
I never asked for a select group to be protected.

quote:
I'm talking about the cities. I have a feeling 100 is slightly inaccurate :P
Anyway, if a high percentage of those "100" are from one ethnic background, don't you think that's reason for concern?

Go look at my last post, i edited a few things :P

Well basically your foreign minister is asking the police to give special protection to Indians, which is a select group of people.

Crime is going to happen, not all crime can be prevented. The police can't be every where.
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Adeptus on 01-10-2010 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets.
Oh, dear.

You know, Discrate, I've never been a big fan of yours.  Fortunately there are other Australians here to redeem the image of your country, which if it were based on your words and actions, would be rather dim indeed.

Jesus.  I don't even want to discuss this. 
RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Once while coming back from a party me and my friends went to 7/11 and there was an indian guy working behind the counter, anyway we were being fuck heads, stealing lollies, jumping over the counter and picking up his outside microphone screaming "THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP" while we were doing this he was just standing back not doing anything (obviously felt threatened) But yeh, this is what stupid people do, and unfortunately these Indian students get caught up in it. They are just easy targets.
Oh, dear.

You know, Discrate, I've never been a big fan of yours.  Fortunately there are other Australians here to redeem the image of your country, which if it were based on your words and actions, would be rather dim indeed.

Jesus.  I don't even want to discuss this. 

Umm, it's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like i am the one and only person to do something stupid. I bet you did stupid stuff. Anyway my point isn't about me doing something stupid, i was trying to get the point across that Indian students are easy targets. No need for discussion on it.

Also, i don't see how the image of my country needs redeeming just because of the story i just told rofl :lol:
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Umm, it's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like i am the one and only person to do something stupid. I bet you did stupid stuff. Anyway my point isn't about me doing something stupid, i was trying to get the point across that Indian students are easy targets. No need for discussion on it.
Nice reasoning.
I killed someone. It's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like I am the one and only person to do it.

Saying/Implying it's not your country's fault and that another country is hyping it too much/blaming you for no reason while you admit that you did exactly what they are blaming you for is stupid.
I rest my case.

Note: I never generalized. I never blamed all the residents of the country for the actions of a few. Nor did I ever say that the Australian government should provide special protection to Indians (or any other group). I simply pointed out the attacks in response to a comment of Australia being #2 on the list. My initial comment had nothing to do with Indians being attacked, only about the attacks in general. I'd have written the same comment even if I wasn't Indian.
If any Australian felt bad about what I said, feel free to PM me and I'll explain. I never meant to hurt anyone. I was simply making a point. I have absolutely nothing against the country. In fact, I have a couple of good friends there and I hope to visit the country some day.

Furthermore, I'm done with this thread. Continue the discussion or end it here, I really don't care.
Have a nice day. :happy:

RE: RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:48 AM

quote:
quote:
Nice reasoning.
I killed someone. It's called being young and stupid. This happened 3 or 4 years ago. It's not like I am the one and only person to do it.

Saying/Implying it's not your country's fault and that another country is hyping it too much/blaming you for no reason while you admit that you did exactly what they are blaming you for is stupid.
I rest my case.

Note: I never generalized. I never blamed all the residents of the country for the actions of a few. Nor did I ever say that the Australian government should provide special protection to Indians (or any other group). I simply pointed out the attacks in response to a comment of Australia being #2 on the list. My initial comment had nothing to do with Indians being attacked, only about the attacks in general. I'd have written the same comment even if I wasn't Indian.
If any Australian felt bad about what I said, feel free to PM me and I'll explain. I never meant to hurt anyone. I was simply making a point. I have absolutely nothing against the country. In fact, I have a couple of good friends there and I hope to visit the country some day.

Furthermore, I'm done with this thread. Continue the discussion or end it here, I really don't care.
Have a nice day. :happy:

lol wow, calm down. We were just discussing the attacks, no one is hurt or a offended lol. No need to get so defensive :P
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Adeptus on 01-10-2010 at 07:59 AM

Discrate,

You make me ashamed for being white and European.  Just shut the fuck up while you still have a leg to stand on.  Please.

I do not follow how you terrorizing some Indian student amounts to just "being young and stupid".  We all make mistakes, but seriously,  what kind of values were you raised on?  This was acceptable to you at the time?  WTF?

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Volv on 01-10-2010 at 08:13 AM

quote:
People like you piss me off, BIG TIME.
way2beracist
RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Volv on 01-10-2010 at 08:16 AM

I think so too

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Phillip on 01-10-2010 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Wow, way to take it out of proportion.

My mistake for thinking we could actually have a civilized discussion.
Never mind.
I was only joking around 8-). Oh god you even negged me for it :lol:

RE: Best Places to Live in the World 2010 by Adeptus on 01-10-2010 at 09:09 AM

Discrate,

I have nothing further to say to you.  The members of the forum can judge us based on the statements made and their community standards.

Have a good day.