Shoutbox

Graphics Card Suggestions requested - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Graphics Card Suggestions requested (/showthread.php?tid=93485)

Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 05:47 AM

I recently got myself a new monitor (24" 1920x1080) which I now use in parallel with my old monitor (17" 1280x1024) meaning I have a nice 3200x1080 display.
For all these years, I've been using an E6600 (OCed to 2.67GHz) with 2GB of DDR2 RAM (960MHz) and a MSI NViDIA GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB GDDR(2/3) RAM.

I mention my approximate system specs because ever since I added this second mon back in November, using applications like Photoshop really aren't fun. I can play 1080p movies fine thanks to my processor and a bit of settings on my MPC-HC but Photoshop and some basicish games that I play suck.

My graphics card was not that great when I got it around 3 or so years back and it's been utter shit for a while barely letting me play most games at low quality. But the one game I used to play regularly (Fifa 10) doesn't run well on my new resolution and that coupled with other things such as Photoshop being a bitch makes me consider getting a new graphics card.

I should mention I'm on a budget. I've not decided how much it is but I'd like it to have good VFM (Value for Money) and should be one that would last me a couple of years at least (not necessarily for the absolute high end games at the highest resolution in the future.. but should at least let me enjoy them at lower qualities 2 years down the line).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know :)

I've made this thread because I haven't looked at any graphics card in years and thought it'd be good to get some input. Also, I'm assuming that my problem is my graphics card (for Photoshop framing) and if anyone thinks otherwise, let me know.

Update: My motherboard is a P5-KPLE. It doesn't have SLI/Crossfire so don't even think about that :P Single PCI-e 16x slot.

RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 05:53 AM

You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max settings and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive. I have one at the moment, and i play alot of games.

RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 05:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive.
I thought the 9800GT was "old". I saw it in the market a couple of months back and it seemed cheapish (6K INR-ish) :P
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 05:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
You can't go wrong with an Nvidia 9800gt. It's not a high end card, but  it's still an excellent. It can play most PC games on max and could continue playing most new games on max settings for the next 3 years.

Also it isn't very expensive.
I thought the 9800GT was "old". I saw it in the market a couple of months back and it seemed cheapish (6K INR-ish) :P

I don't know what 6K INR is equivalent to in my money :P I can pick up a 9800gt for around $120 dollars.

It's not really old, i think it came out last year. It has directx10. The next series up from it is the GTX200 series, which is new so it is more expensive, plus the lower end GTX 200 GPUs are just re badges of the 9000 series. But like i said a 9800gt will last you for ages, plus it's a good cheap price.

Edit: It would really help if you gave a brief estimate on how much you could spend :P
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 06:23 AM

quote:
I don't know what 6K INR is equivalent to in my money :P I can pick up a 9800gt for around $120 dollars.
Lazy.

quote:
Edit: It would really help if you gave a brief estimate on how much you could spend :P
Depends. I don't have a fixed budget. Limiting concern is my conscience :) I'd say 12K INR would be the absolute max but tbh, I would like to avoid spending more than 8K INR if I can (ie anything above it would need real good justification).
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by MeEtc on 01-10-2010 at 06:30 AM

Honestly ATI is ahead in the graphics cards right now. I have a 4850 myself, the whole 4800 series is fine. ncix lists the current price at $135 CAD (just under 6k INR). I have the XFX 4850 with dual LCD's running at 1280x1024 (fullscreen ftw) and can run all the games I've tried at full graphics spec, and then some.

If you want something newer, look at the 5700 series.

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 06:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Honestly ATI is ahead in the graphics cards right now. I have a 4850 myself, the whole 4800 series is fine. ncix lists the current price at $135 CAD (just under 6k INR). I have the XFX 4850 with dual LCD's running at 1280x1024 (fullscreen ftw) and can run all the games I've tried at full graphics spec, and then some.

If you want something newer, look at the 5700 series.

ATI is ahead right now with there high end GPU that costs like 500 dollars. He doesn't want a very expensive high end GPU. Nvidia shits all over ATI.

quote:
quote:
Lazy.

quote:
Depends. I don't have a fixed budget. Limiting concern is my conscience :) I'd say 12K INR would be the absolute max but tbh, I would like to avoid spending more than 8K INR if I can (ie anything above it would need real good justification).

Ok that's more like it. I would recommend getting the Nvida GTX250 then.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-10-2010 at 06:39 AM

i suggest the 9800gt, i have one (the asus ultimate one... so its overclocked by default compared to others) and i run dual monitors, and games like call of duty 6 on max (no aa, you dont need it at 1080p) with no problems (well i do disable the second monitor... which does give a speed boost).. and actually i say that i get ~80fps in multiplayer games of cod6

i would never go ATI, i just dont like them... and i have found that they are only really good for having AA in games... which when running at full 1080p is not noticeable really.

another card that you might want to go for is a nvidia 260, they are a good card and should run great for a few years. you can get one of them here in aus for 239 (thats just the first one i found... so could be cheaper) which is ~10k INR.

edit: or as discrate said, the 250 is also an alright card

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
i suggest the 9800gt, i have one (the asus ultimate one... so its overclocked by default compared to others) and i run dual monitors, and games like call of duty 6 on max (no aa, you dont need it at 1080p) with no problems (well i do disable the second monitor... which does give a speed boost).. and actually i say that i get ~80fps in multiplayer games of cod6

i would never go ATI, i just dont like them... and i have found that they are only really good for having AA in games... which when running at full 1080p is not noticeable really.

another card that you might want to go for is a nvidia 260, they are a good card and should run great for a few years. you can get one of them here in aus for 239 (thats just the first one i found... so could be cheaper) which is ~10k INR.

edit: or as discrate said, the 250 is also an alright card

Yeh, i just compared the 9800gt and the GTX 250 on the Nvidia website. the GTX250 is slightly better then the 9800gt, so he might aswell get it since he has enough money.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Vilkku on 01-10-2010 at 07:19 AM

If you want a new card, get an ATI. As much of an nVidia fanboy as I am, ATI got it right with the latest generation.

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
If you want a new card, get an ATI. As much of an nVidia fanboy as I am, ATI got it right with the latest generation.

But he doesn't want an expensive high end card.......... ATI's new high end card shits over Nvidia, but he doesnt want a high end card. All Nvidias cards shits all over ATI's cards (except for the new one)
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Yeh, i just compared the 9800gt and the GTX 250 on the Nvidia website. the GTX250 is slightly better then the 9800gt, so he might aswell get it since he has enough money.
6k vs 10k for a slight difference? No way.
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:36 AM

quote:
quote:

Does a GTX250 costs 10k? ROFL. The prices are rubbish in your country.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 07:46 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes a GTX10k costs 10k? ROFL. The prices are rubbish in your country.
I thought you quoted those. I haven't asked for the prices yet :P
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 07:52 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes a GTX10k costs 10k? ROFL. The prices are rubbish in your country.
I thought you quoted those. I haven't asked for the prices yet :P

wtf! lol at my sentence you quoted, my mind was somewhere else.

Anyway i originally said get the 9800gt which is very cheap and then i said if you have up to 8k to spend you might aswell get the GTX250. It's better then the 9800GT
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Anyway i originally said get the 9800gt which is very cheap and then i said if you have up to 8k to spend you might aswell get the GTX250. It's better then the 9800GT
I'll try getting the exact prices here in a while. I think the 9800GT by XFX is around 6-6.5K. If the GTX250 is <8.5K, I'll get it. If not, I'll think about it. :happy:
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-10-2010 at 02:22 PM

quote:
quote:
I'll try getting the exact prices here in a while. I think the 9800GT by XFX is around 6-6.5K. If the GTX250 is <8.5K, I'll get it. If not, I'll think about it. :happy:

Yeh all i did was look at the prices of what they are here then convert them into your money. But the cards over there are probs more expensive.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by John Anderton on 01-10-2010 at 02:36 PM

quote:
But the cards over there are probs more expensive.
Nah, not really. Not sure about the inner cities but where I live (Mumbai) is a major port and business hub so we get the cheapest rates in the country. Most of the stuff comes in through here.

Plus, I pick my stuff up from the market where it's first sold in India. Most of the orders in this part of the country come out of the market I get my stuff from. Only ones to get these things before me are the importers (and people sitting in the shops I get these stuff from).

Basically, it's the best rate you'll find. Most of the time it's the same as the rates outside. In some cases, it's even below it (my monitor here was cheaper than in the US because the dealer was a premium member or something).
RE: RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by davidpolitis on 01-12-2010 at 03:11 AM

quote:
ATI is ahead right now with there high end GPU that costs like 500 dollars. He doesn't want a very expensive high end GPU. Nvidia shits all over ATI.
NVIDIA cards atm aren't even built for DX11 and not all of the good ATI cards are expensive. The 5770 I can buy for $189-$205 (AUD).
RE: RE: RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-12-2010 at 04:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
quote:
NVIDIA cards atm aren't even built for DX11 and not all of the good ATI cards are expensive. The 5770 I can buy for $189-$205 (AUD).

Neither were ATI's until like 2 months ago. Nvidias new card is due out this year, which has the new fermi architecture, it shits alllllllllll over ATI
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-12-2010 at 04:29 AM

you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards... you have to wait for the latest of nvidia before you compare the new ATI... and as discrate said (well not as much detail) 512 cores > 1 core... and also C++ coding on GPU *drools*

and so what about DX11 ? games are built to be backwards compatible unless they are DX specific. also with what JA wants to do with the graphics card... DX9 would be plenty for it even, no point in DX11.

and as i have already said, ATI are only good for Anti Aliasing, which when running at 1080p doesnt do shit!

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-12-2010 at 04:44 AM

quote:
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards... you have to wait for the latest of nvidia before you compare the new ATI... and as discrate said (well not as much detail) 512 cores > 1 core... and also C++ coding on GPU *drools*

and so what about DX11 ? games are built to be backwards compatible unless they are DX specific. also with what JA wants to do with the graphics card... DX9 would be plenty for it even, no point in DX11.

and as i have already said, ATI are only good for Anti Aliasing, which when running at 1080p doesnt do shit!

Thanks, I really should have said all of that but cbf :P
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by andrewdodd13 on 01-12-2010 at 01:02 PM

For that money you'll want a 5770. It's £130 in Britain, but that's with our stupid prices, I don't know what it'll be like in India. This ATI card "shits all over" the 9800GT being recommended here, it might be more expensive, but it's not a big deal. If you can get a 5850 (I paid £199, it seems to have gone up to £240...) in your budget then that's where you should go. This is the card I have, it's better than the GTX260 I used to use.

The 5000 series seeing as it is a new architecture is going to be around for a while. You're welcome to wait for nVidia's Fermi to come out, but if it's anything like the GTX200 series release then the cards will be rather expensive (at least, out of your budget).

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-12-2010 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13

The 5000 series seeing as it is a new architecture is going to be around for a while. You're welcome to wait for nVidia's Fermi to come out, but if it's anything like the GTX200 series release then the cards will be rather expensive (at least, out of your budget).

He doesn't want nor need a high end card though.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-12-2010 at 01:35 PM

andrewdodd13, how much is a 9800GT in £?

RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by djdannyp on 01-12-2010 at 01:58 PM

Around £70-80 from a quick search

RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-12-2010 at 02:14 PM

thats almost 1/2 price... of course the other cards are going to outdo the 9800...

did you even read what i said before:

quote:
you cannot compare different generations of graphics cards...

and yes, you may have compared it to both... but you compared a 5850 (which is a fairly high card in ATI) to a GTX260... they may be close but what you should be comparing to is a 280 or 285... which is a fair difference in power...

so please, when you do comparisons, do it right!
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by davidpolitis on 01-12-2010 at 02:18 PM

The 5750 should cost only a little bit more than the 1GB 9800GT and apparently outperforms it. Plus, Eyefinity is nice for multiple monitor setups.

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by andrewdodd13 on 01-12-2010 at 05:19 PM

quote:
thats almost 1/2 price... of course the other cards are going to outdo the 9800...

quote:

and yes, you may have compared it to both... but you compared a 5850 (which is a fairly high card in ATI) to a GTX260... they may be close but what you should be comparing to is a 280 or 285... which is a fair difference in power...

Actually the GTX285 also gets beat in certain games (source) and is currently poking around £320, but I never had one of these cards so I couldn't comment from my point of view. However, the GTX285 is definitely going to be out of JA's scope.

quote:
quote:

But he did say he wants it to last for a long time. A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games (especially seeing as it's just a remap of the 8800GT - which has been out for over two years now), but not for long.

The 5770 will survive for much longer, seeing as it has just been released and has a very good price-to-performance ratio. The 5850 will maybe last that bit longer due to its extra power.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-13-2010 at 01:25 AM

quote:
A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games
im getting 80fps on mw2... thats not scraping... and thats without overclocking... this card will last for about 3 more years... yes by then it will be down to about 20-40fps for the higher end of games, but as JA said, he doesnt play those sorts of game... just low to mid end games.

and I played for about 2 years with a 6200 (this was 2 years ago), the games i that i was playing: CS: S, TF2, etc (mainly valve games). On lowest graphics i was playing at 15-20FPS... which was still reasonable to play with because i would often be up near the top of multiplayer games.
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-13-2010 at 03:23 AM

quote:
quote:
im getting 80fps on mw2... thats not scraping... and thats without overclocking... this card will last for about 3 more years... yes by then it will be down to about 20-40fps for the higher end of games, but as JA said, he doesnt play those sorts of game... just low to mid end games.

and I played for about 2 years with a 6200 (this was 2 years ago), the games i that i was playing: CS: S, TF2, etc (mainly valve games). On lowest graphics i was playing at 15-20FPS... which was still reasonable to play with because i would often be up near the top of multiplayer games.

I played call of duty 4 no problem with a 7300gt :P

quote:
quote:

quote:

Actually the GTX285 also gets beat in certain games (source) and is currently poking around £320, but I never had one of these cards so I couldn't comment from my point of view. However, the GTX285 is definitely going to be out of JA's scope.

quote:
quote:

But he did say he wants it to last for a long time. A 9800GT will scrape through at 1920x1080 with AA on current games (especially seeing as it's just a remap of the 8800GT - which has been out for over two years now), but not for long.

The 5770 will survive for much longer, seeing as it has just been released and has a very good price-to-performance ratio. The 5850 will maybe last that bit longer due to its extra power.

You are still comparing 2 different generation cards.
RE: RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by andrewdodd13 on 01-13-2010 at 10:14 AM

quote:
quote:

Is this at 1920x1080 with 4x AA and 16x AF? I find that hard to believe seeing as the benchmarks I saw for MW2 show that very few cards will get more than 80fps at a decent resolution, with AA. Your point on the previous page about AA not being applicable at 1920x1080 is simply invalid, even on a mates 30" Dell running at 2560x1600 I can notice jaggies in game when he turns it off.

quote:
You are still comparing 2 different generation cards.
Makes no difference if nVidia don't have anything to compete with the current generation at this time. Maybe this will change when March comes, but I'm fairly sure that the first Fermi cards will be out of everyones budget... Although looking at the benchmarks from MW2 above, he may be better getting a 4890 which performs ever so slightly better, and is the same price. It's also the same generation as the GTX200 series of cards, not that this makes much difference...
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by NanaFreak on 01-13-2010 at 11:14 AM

i run my game on: max, except AA/AF, they are pointless when in the heat of battle... makes no difference... sure for Crysis they make it look a bit better... Phillip, who has been playing FPS games and everything for MANY years now, and who also knows quite a lot with hardware says that at anything above 1920x1080, AA is barely noticeable and not needed.

also i run with a 21" screen, so it looks clearer no matter what... and are you sure that you are the correct distance from the screen from the 30"?

and that review is just pointless, they should do tests without AA to show you how good the nvidias pwnage is over ATI...

RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by andrewdodd13 on 01-13-2010 at 01:18 PM

quote:
i run my game on: max, except AA/AF, they are pointless when in the heat of battle... makes no difference... sure for Crysis they make it look a bit better... Phillip, who has been playing FPS games and everything for MANY years now, and who also knows quite a lot with hardware says that at anything above 1920x1080, AA is barely noticeable and not needed.
You're making a slightly cyclical argument here as there's little difference to having the game on low and on high "in the heat of the battle". AF is clearly noticable on textures, at an resolution, and I run it at 16x on all games. Here's a demonstration.

AA is less noticable, perhaps. However if you look at the comparison in Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.

quote:
and that review is just pointless, they should do tests without AA to show you how good the nvidias pwnage is over ATI...
Sorry, but if you'd actually looked at the page before, you would have seen that it's all about running with no AA/AF. It shows that the GTX285 is 4fps and the GTX275 is 2fps more than the 5850. And that the 9800GT gets less than the 4850.

I'm going to quit arguing, your argument style points to you being a clear nVidia fanboy. If you're going to accuse me of being an ATi one, the HD5850 is the first ATi card I've ever owned. I'll let JA read the numbers and see what he wants to get.
RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by blessedguy on 01-13-2010 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.
Hotlink blocked.

quote:
You're making a slightly cyclical argument here as there's little difference to having the game on low and on high "in the heat of the battle". AF is clearly noticable on textures, at an resolution, and I run it at 16x on all games. Here's a demonstration.
Sorry, but I can barely see a difference.

Also, he said he's on a budget and doesn't need a high-end card, and surely the ATi HD58xx series is one of them. 2 or 5fps more won't make anyone's life better, and drivers can always make them perform better.
Even my nVidia 8500GT is able to handle 1440x900 and 1920x1080 simultaneously, even when playing The Sims 3 on high detail. Sure, it's not like a "OMG-AMAZINGLY-FAST", but runs nicely and didn't make my computer's price skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong, but I really don't see the point of NEEDING to have more than 30fps and other details the human eye can't see.
RE: RE: Graphics Card Suggestions requested by Discrate on 01-13-2010 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Half Life 2 it's clearly visible. The resolution of the screenshot is irrelevant as you're viewing it on your high resolution monitor.
Hotlink blocked.

quote:
Sorry, but I can barely see a difference.

Also, he said he's on a budget and doesn't need a high-end card, and surely the ATi HD58xx series is one of them. 2 or 5fps more won't make anyone's life better, and drivers can always make them perform better.
Even my nVidia 8500GT is able to handle 1440x900 and 1920x1080 simultaneously, even when playing The Sims 3 on high detail. Sure, it's not like a "OMG-AMAZINGLY-FAST", but runs nicely and didn't make my computer's price skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong, but I really don't see the point of NEEDING to have more than 30fps and other details the human eye can't see.

I have said over and over again he doesn't need a high end card  and a high end ATI card keeps getting suggested. :P

A 9800gt will do him fine.