Shoutbox

disappearing of messenger plus after restart - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: disappearing of messenger plus after restart (/showthread.php?tid=93578)

disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-18-2010 at 10:21 AM

ok, i am facing this problem. yet, my comp doesn't have the software listed in the topic above. so, can i know the way to solve it? thanks

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by djdannyp on 01-18-2010 at 11:01 AM

Can you post a screenshot of your Programs & Features (Add/Remove Programs on XP) as there may be some software you are running that is incompatible with Messenger Plus! Live that we are as yet unaware of.

Thanks

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-18-2010 at 03:02 PM

[Image: 1-2.jpg]
[Image: 2-2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]

this situation did not happen last time, but it just happened after i updated my original Kingsoft antivirus to the latest version.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by djdannyp on 01-18-2010 at 05:12 PM

If you uninstall Kingsoft Anti-virus, does Messenger Plus! Live function as expected?

(Note, you may need to restart Windows Live Messenger or re-install Messenger Plus! Live in order to see a change)

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-19-2010 at 01:54 AM

i never try that before, and i'll not try it though, as it's the original antivirus. however, before i updated to the latest version of Kingsoft, messenger plus was still running as usual. i also tried to uninstall window live messenger and messenger plus before, and reinstalled after restart it's still the same.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Chrissy on 01-19-2010 at 03:37 AM

So you're saying you think it's the Anti-Virus causing it?

RE: RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-19-2010 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
So you're saying you think it's the Anti-Virus causing it?
nope, i didn't say that, what i am trying to say is the anti-virus MAY be the cause or it MAY NOT at all, i just wanna give more detail on when it started to get malfunction.
RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by djdannyp on 01-19-2010 at 09:28 AM

If you try what I suggested then it will prove 100% whether the anti-virus is causing the problem.

Then we can advise you on steps to take to resolve the issue

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-19-2010 at 02:32 PM

u mean that, i am advised to uninstall the anti virus?

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Chrissy on 01-19-2010 at 05:09 PM

Yes, uninstall it and if Plus! works it's the anti-virus.

I suggest you install a compatible anti-virus if that is the problem :)

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Chris4 on 01-19-2010 at 07:10 PM

After installing Kingsoft Internet Security, I can confirm that Messenger Plus! Live is no integrated in Windows Live Messenger.

I tried numerous things to fix it, such as setting the security to low, adding all of Plus!'s files to the allow list, but at the time, I found it hadn't done anything. Even after exiting the program and ending all running processes associated with it, Plus! still did not appear.

I presumed it had modified some files, so I went to Control Panel > Programs > Messenger Plus! Live > Repair Messenger and Plus! was restored.

Lastly, I restarted my PC so the Internet Security software would run again and after running Windows Live Messenger, Plus! was integrated in Messenger again. I presume this was a result of the settings I had changed but it needed the computer to restart to taker affect.

To summarise, it's possible to get Plus! working with this software by messing around with it, however I also found that the software greatly slowed down my computer, so I definitely won't be keeping it.

djdannyp, I suggest you should add it to the incompatible programs sticky.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by djdannyp on 01-19-2010 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
djdannyp, I suggest you should add it to the incompatible programs sticky.

Done
RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-20-2010 at 03:32 AM

so can i know, does internet security really help in protecting comp? If i uninstalled the Kingsoft, what would result in my comp? Permeability to virus increases?

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Chrissy on 01-20-2010 at 03:41 AM

You will have to use another Security program now.

Take a look at a list of FREE programs: http://www.security4free.com/

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-20-2010 at 01:33 PM

can i know which is recommended?

by the way, thanks for the site.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Chris4 on 01-20-2010 at 05:08 PM

I would personally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

Good articles:
- Stop Paying for Windows Security; Microsoft's Security Tools Are Good Enough
- Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus

Some people have the "best" security, yet still get viruses. Why? Because most people are uneducated on internet security, which is why viruses are so widespread.

Personal understanding is much more important than any software you have. I used to get viruses, trojans, etc., but since my understanding of internet security has got better, I've seen barely no harmful files reach my computer.

Once you know the difference between good and bad, such as understanding why you shouldn't click on particular links on emails, the web, instant messenger, etc., you'd needn't have such bloated security software.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-21-2010 at 12:19 PM

whoa, thanks mate.

but i wonder, since it's so good and free, why all the computers do not come with it?

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by djdannyp on 01-21-2010 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UnDeFined
whoa, thanks mate.

but i wonder, since it's so good and free, why all the computers do not come with it?

Because rip-off merchants like Norton pay computer companies to put on free trials of their software so that when it expires people who don't know better pay to continue the subscription and earn Norton money
RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-23-2010 at 08:46 AM

i have uninstalled the kingsoft and installed the microsoft security. nw the messenger plus problem is solved so do my safari and opera started to work again.
thanks guy.

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by UnDeFined on 01-24-2010 at 10:43 AM

i have another problem now after installing the microsoft security essentials. nw every time i switch on my laptop, the right bottom bar would appear a windows defender problem, it says that the windows defender has been off, so i on it. the next time i switch on my laptop, that icon would appear again says that the windows defender has been off. it has been happening for few times until now. i wonder is it crashed with the microsoft security essentials? any solution?

RE: disappearing of messenger plus after restart by Tochjo on 01-24-2010 at 10:52 AM

If you use Microsoft Security Essentials you don't have to use Windows Defender. See these questions and answers for more information (or do a Google search, there is a lot more to find about this).