Shoutbox

What code editor do you use?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What code editor do you use?? (/showthread.php?tid=93583)

What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-18-2010 at 03:11 PM

I have been using notepad++ for a while now but it just does feel right for making projects plus it does have intellisense (or if it does I can't find it).

I was just wondering what programs you guys use to develop website projects and stuff like that... The only thing is that I would like is that it is clean and simple and has to be for windows.

If it could have some good FTP functions built in so that I can edit files directly on the Internet from my PC.

Thanks guys!!

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Spunky on 01-18-2010 at 03:17 PM

Notepad2... I actually replaced notepad with it. No intellisense, but has syntax highlighting, line numbers etc.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Discrate on 01-18-2010 at 03:21 PM

Just use something like dreamweaver.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by stoshrocket on 01-18-2010 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
I have been using notepad++ for a while now but it just does feel right for making projects plus it does have intellisense (or if it does I can't find it).

I was just wondering what programs you guys use to develop website projects and stuff like that... The only thing is that I would like is that it is clean and simple and has to be for windows.

If it could have some good FTP functions built in so that I can edit files directly on the Internet from my PC.

Thanks guys!!
It does, just not directly called intellisense... Settings -> Preferences -> Auto Completion... :P

Been using Notepad++ as long as I can remember, clean, simple, powerful :happy:
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Spunky on 01-18-2010 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate

I'd rather stick my genitals in a beehive...
RE: What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-18-2010 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Notepad2... I actually replaced notepad with it. No intellisense, but has syntax highlighting, line numbers etc.
Looks alright but I would prefer multiple files...
quote:
omfg no. That is the worst idea ever.
quote:
Originally posted by stoshrocket
quote:

Thanks guys!!
It does, just not directly called intellisense... Settings -> Preferences -> Auto Completion... :P

Been using Notepad++ as long as I can remember, clean, simple, powerful :smile:
Hmm I will have to have a look at that tomorrow... Does it do php auto-complete? For most of the functions and stuff..? Or is it just for stuff like HTML?
RE: What code editor do you use?? by stoshrocket on 01-18-2010 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Hmm I will have to have a look at that tomorrow... Does it do php auto-complete? For most of the functions and stuff..? Or is it just for stuff like HTML?
Yeah, I code mostly in php, never used the auto-complete feature before, but you prompted me to search about. Typing in start of function brings up suggested functions, then when you are doing parameters it brings up the lay out...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=985226]

Quite useful actually, I can never remember the order of certain php functions :P
RE: What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-18-2010 at 03:41 PM

Sweet... if no better suggestions come up for this, I will be using notepad++.

I wish webdrives were more stable in windows 7... Because some or the FTP stuff with np++ aren't that great.

RE: RE: What code editor do you use?? by Discrate on 01-18-2010 at 03:45 PM

quote:
quote:

Hahaha. I don't know why everyone hates it. I think it manages web projects well.
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Spunky on 01-18-2010 at 03:57 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Hahaha. I don't know why everyone hates it. I think it manages web projects well.

To reiterate, I would rather cut of my dick with a rusty bread knife. It's too bloated for a start. You can manage web projects well by placing them in folders anyway :p
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 04:09 PM

I use: http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php

It was free until a few versions ago :P However, it's all over torrent sites ;)

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Mnjul on 01-18-2010 at 04:19 PM

vim, visual studio, dreamweaver.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by matty on 01-18-2010 at 04:47 PM

I use Notepad++ as do most. I am trying to figure out a way to create a custom language so I can include the Messenger Plus! events, functions and properties into the auto complete feature.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by stoshrocket on 01-18-2010 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I use Notepad++ as do most. I am trying to figure out a way to create a custom language so I can include the Messenger Plus! events, functions and properties into the auto complete feature.
How are you getting along with that? I know the languages and syntax are stored as xml files, but never really tried altering one.

EDIT: Scratch that, just decided to try and make one to see how you'd do it. Created language using language creator, then added an api for auto completion. Managed to get my own non-existent function to appear... Pretty cool.

EDIT2:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=985244]

... heh
RE: What code editor do you use?? by djdannyp on 01-18-2010 at 05:14 PM

I use:

Notepad++ for Messenger Skins

Visual Studio 2008 for a coding project I have at work (will probably upgrade to 2010 Beta once I go back)

Dreamweaver for any websites

RE: What code editor do you use?? by vaccination on 01-18-2010 at 06:38 PM

Agreed with Notepad++ for anything basic like web development and VS for the rest.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Chris4 on 01-18-2010 at 07:24 PM

Notepad++

Thanks for the Auto Complete tip (Y)

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Chancer on 01-18-2010 at 08:06 PM

I've been using e-texteditor.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Lou on 01-18-2010 at 08:34 PM

quote:
but it just does feel right for making projects plus it does have intellisense
I'm just confused at what you're trying to say :P. haha <3

I agree with Chris4 though, thanks for the autocomplete tip, I didn't know about that. I shall enable that when I get home :)

As well, if you want a powerful project manager, Dreamweaver is good, at least cs4. Those who put it aside, sure, but I think it's good. I wouldn't pay money for it myself (:P) though. It's also got all those pretty nifty css/javascript scripts integrated into it that you're free to use.
RE: What code editor do you use?? by prashker on 01-18-2010 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Notepad++

Thanks for the Auto Complete tip (Y)
I'm so mad I didn't know Notepad++ had this before.

* prashker turns on and goes back to coding.
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 08:49 PM

I might actually change to notepad++ if everyone on here is using it. It looks like a good piece of kit (Y):P

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Felu on 01-19-2010 at 12:45 AM

Notepad++ ftw!

RE: What code editor do you use?? by MeEtc on 01-19-2010 at 03:09 AM

I also use PHP Designer, mostly because I only code with web-based languages. I used to use Visual Studio for editing Plus's window XML files, because when used with the xsd file, it allows for code completion.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by CookieRevised on 01-19-2010 at 03:48 AM

I always wanted an editor (something like notepad++) which can handle asp files, but also parse them locally (to some extent; eg no server variables). And without bloating my Windows OS with installing IIS or whatever.

EDIT: I do mean ASP though, not ASP.NET...

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Jarrod on 01-19-2010 at 11:08 PM

TextMate(http://macromates.com/) or coda :)

RE: What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-20-2010 at 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
TextMate(http://macromates.com/) or coda :)
if you want to make coda for windows, im sure you would make many people happy... but i did say "windows"
RE: What code editor do you use?? by John Anderton on 01-20-2010 at 01:42 AM

For PHP, I like Netbeans 6.5.1(+) though VS 2010 is to have support for dynamic languages like F# and from what I've heard, PHP could follow. In that case, I'd definitely move to VS ;)

For simple HTML stuff, Notepad++.
For Java, Eclipse/Netbeans are good (and free) IDEs.
For any language under the .NET platform, VS 2008 is good though VS 2010 should be out in April so watch out for that.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by Jarrod on 01-20-2010 at 03:15 AM

quote:
but i did say "windows"
oh so you did. just so you All know I switched to mac mainly for it's more awesome power to code, because I got sick of coding on windows, and two senior uni lecturers couldn't stop advocating macs so once my windows laptop was stollen  I bought a mac.

the real reason I bought a mac is so no one would want to steal it:P
RE: What code editor do you use?? by ShawnZ on 01-20-2010 at 03:32 AM

visual studio, of course <3

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I always wanted an editor (something like notepad++) which can handle asp files, but also parse them locally (to some extent; eg no server variables). And without bloating my Windows OS with installing IIS or whatever.

VS and visual web developer express do this! :p
RE: What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-20-2010 at 04:18 AM

quote:
quote:
but i did say "windows"
oh so you did. just so you All know I switched to mac mainly for it's more awesome power to code, because I got sick of coding on windows, and two senior uni lecturers couldn't stop advocating macs so once my windows laptop was stollen  I bought a mac.

buy me a mac, or a mac osx disc and i will use it ;)
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Chris4 on 01-20-2010 at 04:37 AM

quote:
quote:
but i did say "windows"

Having the same situation here with uni lecturers. Only thing that puts me off Macs is the price. Even with a student discount, they're still much higher than that of a similar Windows system. I think I may just get a Windows netbook and dualboot it with Ubuntu, so I can still have the "awesome power to code". :)

My university uses Smultron text editor on Macs, which, without tabs, is a big pain. Apparently it does have tabs. Maybe they're using an old version or I have tabs disabled.
RE: What code editor do you use?? by davidpolitis on 01-20-2010 at 01:01 PM

I mainly use PSPad. It's lightweight and I've used it for a while so I'm used to the syntax highlighting and the ui.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by rix on 01-20-2010 at 01:12 PM

Notepad++. Simple, has all programming languages i need and is easy to use.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by John Anderton on 01-20-2010 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
visual studio, of course <3

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

VS and visual web developer express do this! :p
Doesn't VS implicitly use IIS for ASP?
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Thor on 01-20-2010 at 10:55 PM

I used to use Notepad++, but I've recently switched to e. Yes, e. :p

It's quite fast, it has a minimalist interface and yet has amazing powers, even more so when you start using the included bundles. I'm lovin' it! (y)

RE: What code editor do you use?? by YottabyteWizard on 01-25-2010 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Wait wat..... no sence in answering an already banned user, but meh....
DW = Cost + less features + much more memory usage. Actually more used between html noobs or ppl who doesn't trust in free software.

quote:
Originally posted by stoshrocket
quote:
Yeah, I code mostly in php, never used the auto-complete feature before, but you prompted me to search about. Typing in start of function brings up suggested functions, then when you are doing parameters it brings up the lay out...

[img]

Quite useful actually, I can never remember the order of certain php functions :P

OMG, I never though that function could work that well, I mean... I've been using notepad++ for some quite time now (couple of years), and never experimented with the autocompletion feature... Thx xD
RE: What code editor do you use?? by stoshrocket on 01-25-2010 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWizard
OMG, I never though that function could work that well, I mean... I've been using notepad++ for some quite time now (couple of years), and never experimented with the autocompletion feature... Thx xD
Neither had I until Nana made me look for it. Had it on ever since :P (Y)
RE: What code editor do you use?? by Menthix on 01-25-2010 at 06:24 PM

UltraEdit \o/

A friend showed it years ago, haven't looked at much editors since.

RE: What code editor do you use?? by andrey on 01-25-2010 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
UltraEdit \o/
(Y)

I've been using UltraEdit/UEStudio for years, beats every other text editor I've come across, feature-wise.
I wonder why everyone uses text editors for coding.. wouldn't want to do any programming without all the features a good IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse offers.
So for me: Netbeans for coding, UltraEdit for everything else.
RE: What code editor do you use?? by user27089 on 01-25-2010 at 08:15 PM

I use Notepad++ and Komodo Edit on Mac. When I get paid, I'm buying Coda :).

RE: What code editor do you use?? by NanaFreak on 01-26-2010 at 02:17 AM

looking into UltraEdit now... looks good!