Shoutbox

When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. (/showthread.php?tid=93585)

When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have set Windows Live Messenger to run under Vista compatibility. (i use windows 7).

The reason i do this is because every time i run WLM there's 3 items of it in the task bar and not just an icon and a window.

However. I have noticed whenever i update Plus! all these settings are changed and I have to do it again.

It should just keep it the same :P

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by djdannyp on 01-18-2010 at 05:10 PM

You really shouldn't use compatibility mode as it can interfere with other aspects of Plus! and Messenger.  There are other threads on this same topic

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by andrey on 01-18-2010 at 08:42 PM

yep, it's on purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by Changelog
Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 08:46 PM

So any ideas on how to get rid of the double tastbar buttons and get the normal icon back?

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by prashker on 01-18-2010 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
So any ideas on how to get rid of the double tastbar buttons and get the normal icon back?
This was "fixed" in the upcoming WLM. I am not sure when it's coming out.
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chris4 on 01-18-2010 at 08:59 PM

There's 1 invisible window, your display picture, which must stay open to keep you logged in:

[Image: taskbar1.png]

Then, when you open the main contacts list window, you can see that:

[Image: taskbar2.png]

Then another for the chat windows:

[Image: taskbar3.png]

The "invisible window" isn't a big deal, for me at least. Just get used to it until they "fix" it, like Sam said.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 09:10 PM

For me it's different because I have task bar buttons set to 'never combine'.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chris4 on 01-18-2010 at 09:20 PM

quote:
For me it's different because I have task bar buttons set to 'never combine'.
There's your problem. (Y)

Combine them, it saves space.

At least until they update it.
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 09:26 PM

I hate them combined. That's why i changed it..

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by DeathsAngel666 on 01-18-2010 at 10:52 PM

I also used Windows Live Messenger in Compatibility mode for the simple reason that it could go in the task tray (or whatever they call it now) under Win7...

Would it hurt MSGPlus if I would turn back on the compatibility mode?!

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Menthix on 01-18-2010 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DeathsAngel666
Would it hurt MSGPlus if I would turn back on the compatibility mode?
Like Andrey pointed out, it will slow down your Messenger, and possibly introduce other compatibility problems.
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
yep, it's on purpose.
quote:
Originally posted by Changelog
Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-18-2010 at 11:50 PM

So there's not fix for this? Unless i keep the taskbar grouped?

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by prashker on 01-19-2010 at 12:14 AM

quote:
No, just accept the problem until new WLM is out :p
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-19-2010 at 01:18 AM

When is the new WLM out :P?

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Menthix on 01-19-2010 at 10:45 AM

quote:
When is the new WLM out?
General assumption is around March, but nobody really knows for sure.
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by deadly4u on 01-21-2010 at 05:18 PM

THIS change is the GREATEST annoyance I've had with MSGPlus to date.

I can confirm that the compatibility settings that I used to change WLM from the taskbar to the system tray DID NOT slow my messenger down. Not even a LITTLE.

EVEN IF it did make WLM slow, this was a conscious choice, and MSGPlus should have left well enough alone.

WLM is annoying enough of a program already, and with some manual changes and MSGPlus it was okay. This is a regression in usability.

That said, I haven't tried reverting to the old compatibility settings. Will it revert them again if I tried?

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by prashker on 01-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

If it works fine, go ahead and change it back, it shouldn't revert till a new install of MP!L.

If you guys can just sit tight, either manually set it back (it's not like you're reinstalling Plus everyday or something), or wait till the new version of WLM, which will not even need you to put it in compatibility mode.

:zippy: PATIENCE YOUNG PADAWAN :zippy:

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by FineWolf on 01-22-2010 at 03:51 AM

I'm sorry, but I am strongly against the new behavior.

I've made a choice on my computer to run WLM in Vista Compatibility mode and no-one should change it without my authorization.

I strongly suggest that the installer be modified to include a dialog box to let the user choose to reset the settings or not, but at the end of the day, this should be a user's choice, not a choice forced over by a software developer.

Patchou, you've already been grilled for this in the past. I cannot believe you've made that mistake again.

ANY CHANGES IN THE USER'S CONFIGURATION CONCERNING OTHER SOFTWARE THAN MSGPLUS SHOULD BE LEFT AT THE USER'S DISCRETION AND NOT FORCED UPON THEM BY A DEVELOPER.

Isn't that simple to understand?

I don't care about the slow-downs or other reason. Explain it in a dialog box and let the user take a decision. If they decide to let the setting be, well, they've been warned.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chris4 on 01-22-2010 at 04:42 AM

deadly4u & FineWolf: The last Plus! update before last had a ~4 month time gap.

If you have to revert the compatibility every 4 months, of which takes 10 seconds, where is the problem?!

quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Isn't that simple to understand?
No. As a guy who regularly helps on this forum, I don't want to see users posting on here saying "why is my WLM slow?" or "why I am having this problem?" ... all because they done a little "trick" to put WLM in the systray, of which Plus! can fix.

You are the minority, therefore you have to use a little workaround if you want to carry on doing your "trick". For the majority of people, they will see no change and will not experience any compatibility issues, as you may do.

quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Patchou, you've already been grilled for this in the past. I cannot believe you've made that mistake again.
Yuna Software are the developers of Plus!, not Patchou alone. He, nor Yuna Software, have made any mistake. They've helped users avoid compatibility issues, even if you cannot realise that.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by CookieRevised on 01-22-2010 at 08:21 PM

PS: This change was already implemented in previous releases. The first occurance was in Messenger Plus! Live 4.83.372 (17 Oct 2009)...
(EDIT: Like Chris4 already implied)

quote:
Changelog

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-23-2010 at 12:28 AM

Tbh, it's not a real problem but I do agree on this happening secretly is a bit wrong.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Spunky on 01-23-2010 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Tbh, it's not a real problem but I do agree on this happening secretly is a bit wrong.

Despite it being in the changelog, on the forums, and done to correct an error the user is making by changing the compatibility settings?
RE: RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Hank on 01-23-2010 at 01:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
No, just accept the problem until new WLM is out :p
thats assuming anyone uses it :) 
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chrissy on 01-23-2010 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Despite it being in the changelog, on the forums, and done to correct an error the user is making by changing the compatibility settings?
Yeah, because we all read the change log :P Chances are most plus users don't know what one is :P

And changing the compatibility settings is not an error. Some people want to do it (like me).
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Chris4 on 01-23-2010 at 02:43 AM

quote:
And changing the compatibility settings is not an error. Some people want to do it (like me).
Then do it. No one is stopping you.
RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by Menthix on 01-23-2010 at 03:51 AM

Assuming Microsoft will keep the idea of removing the additional window like we saw in the early Messenger 2010 screenshots, there won't be a real reason to keep compatibility mode on soon. However, in reality, by far most people will forget they ever set the mode in the first place. Those people won't ever set it back themselves. If compatibility does indeed cause slowdowns like the changelog says that means people could be coming to the forums years from now with problems nobody will be able to figure out.

There will still be people who really do want to run compatibility, but it shouldn't be a problem for those few to change it back... if they even notice the difference... Plus! has been doing this for a while, this thread is the only feedback on it so far AFAIK.

RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by psycho_maniac on 01-23-2010 at 06:13 AM

yeah this is very annoying. i installed msgplus and thoguht that the setting wasnt saving. now that i know when i install it compatability mode goes back to default. which does take about 10 seconds.

RE: RE: When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. by FineWolf on 01-23-2010 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

If the user CHOOSES to make an error by changing compatibility settings (and I've done benchmarks, on x86, there is no difference on Win7 x86 between native and Vista Compatibility mode), it's his choice.

Let him control the settings on his machine. Warn him that it might cause a problem, but at the end of the day, the user NEEDS to be able to say no to any system configuration changes.

I've reported this issue to my employer (a known unnamed computer security company) and MSGPlus has been once again categorized as red (Reason: unauthorized system changes) until this issue with the installer is resolved.