Shoutbox

Views on Religion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Views on Religion (/showthread.php?tid=93608)

Views on Religion by Chrissy on 01-20-2010 at 03:38 AM

I'm a bit curious on what people think about religion. Personally I think any sort of Religion is aload of non-sense. Thinking a 'God' exists and praying to it is ludicrous IMHO :P

What's you thoughts and views on religion?

Also, for Christians, read this: 10 Questions Every Christian Should Answer..

RE: Views on Religion by Toxn on 01-20-2010 at 03:41 AM

I am with George Carlin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNy6ziOyxoA

EVERYTHING
Including the sun.

AND

You should be banned :awesome:

RE: Views on Religion by Lou on 01-20-2010 at 03:47 AM

What you don't seem to understand is the fundemental idea behind religion. I'm not saying I agree with how most (hell, any) religions go about things, however the main goal of a religion is hope/faith and control of a society. While control seems bad, for the most part, it's good. If there was no religion, then society as you know it would not exist. Many laws out there today exist because of the religions that were in power before, and perhaps still are to some extent.

While I am not a devout Christian or anything of the sort, I do believe that there is a point to religion other than just giving out false information. The point of religion, at least today, very much seems to be to maintain some sort of organization and to ensure society has limits for things.

As such, my views are this; I agree with the concept, but I do not agree much with many of the things that were/are used to enforce such religions. A lot of the stories, though, should not be taken as "fact" but merely as stories that serve a moral purpose.

RE: Views on Religion by Discrate on 01-20-2010 at 03:56 AM

All religion is a load of crap. Yes, a god may exist but the religions that are here today are just a load of crap.

Religion has caused more deaths then anything else in the world.

RE: Views on Religion by prashker on 01-20-2010 at 03:58 AM

:zippy: http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm :zippy:

RE: RE: Views on Religion by Discrate on 01-20-2010 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

That link is a load of crap.

The only place i am going to when i die is a hole in the ground. Then bugs will digest me and then i'll most likely be shat out and used fertilizer.
RE: Views on Religion by Chris4 on 01-20-2010 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Toxn
I am with George Carlin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNy6ziOyxoA
Same here. :P

Atheism is probably the closest 'religion' to what I believe in.
RE: Views on Religion by azn angel on 01-20-2010 at 08:46 AM

I am a proud Pastafarian!

www.venganza.org/
: D

RE: Views on Religion by stoshrocket on 01-20-2010 at 10:07 AM

Personally I don't know. How could you? What I believe is a different matter, and although I do not attatch myself to any particular sect of religion(**), I do believe in something. My opinion in religion is very different from what the typical "god-fearing man" man might come to believe, but I believe in Life. The very minute probability in us being here under these conditions by mere chance is a miracle in itself.

(However, I lean toward the idea of Buddhism, in particular toward Zen)

Perhaps there's no God behind this, and sure, if you roll a dice enough times you'll get the perfect 6 (ie, build enough planets over time, the universe will spawn a planet that we deem as life giving), but I've been given this chance and I'm going to live it as well as I can, including living as much as I can, but helping and giving. Sure, I don't give away everything I have (I'm saving to buy a Mac mini next month :P) but I do try and go a step in the direction of making someone's day a little brighter when I can.

As for religion in itself I believe, as Lou said, it's a control device. I'm not saying religion is wrong (in it's ideas or implementation), but primarily it's good to have the world out there thinking "if I do something morally wrong I will be punished". Conversely however, there have been some attrocious deeds carried out in the name of religion.

RE: Views on Religion by Menthix on 01-20-2010 at 10:45 AM

Religions are like browsers, political views, and OSes.... discussing them on a forum will never go anywhere and likely result in the thread getting locked or people getting banned.

RE: Views on Religion by prashker on 01-20-2010 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I define God as crap.
Therefore, God exists.
RE: Views on Religion by Th3rmal on 01-20-2010 at 01:16 PM

quote:
quote:
I define God as crap.
Therefore, God exists.
hahahah owned :P

I reckon firefox is better than IE because of all the add-ons and customization abilities.
RE: RE: RE: Views on Religion by segosa on 01-20-2010 at 03:37 PM

quote:
quote:

The only place i am going to when i die is a hole in the ground. Then bugs will digest me and then i'll most likely be shat out and used fertilizer.

Wow, you actually think that link is serious? It's funny. Laugh.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Views on Religion by Discrate on 01-20-2010 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
quote:
quote:

Wow, you actually think that link is serious? It's funny. Laugh.

The link is serious. I have taken it on as my bible.
RE: Views on Religion by albert on 01-20-2010 at 11:51 PM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dane Cook's show

Alright. You're an Atheist. What does that mean? What happens to you after you die? Now he gets really serious like he's about to school me.

''Okay. Oh I can tell you young man. I can tell you. I KNOW what's going to happen to me after I die. After I pass on, my body will become one with this earth. From there, I will become a fertilizer for this planet. And with that. I will return as a huge, beautiful tree. "

That's what this guy believes. He laughing at me. He's going to come back as a fuckin ficus. Yeah.. Johnny weeping willow over here.. I wanted to slam this guy so bad for this right. But then I stopped. I stopped you guys please hear me out. I let it sink in and I want you guys to as well.

"I hope when he dies he does become a tree. I hope he's in the middle of the wilderness and he's doing his tree thing. Whatever it is trees do. I know they do alot of work with breezes. And wouldn't it be fantastic if while he was out there just enjoying his treeness. Through the woods a huge, sweaty guy with an axe comes along. Sees him. Chops him down. Smash. Put a chain around him. Drah him through the mud and the muck. Put him into a sawmill. Grind him up. Then you pound him down into paper. And once he's paper. You print the Bible on him."

RE: Views on Religion by toddy on 01-21-2010 at 02:07 AM

the fact that nearly all suicide bombers say they're doing it for god/god told them to, says it all......

.....people who believe are nutters

RE: Views on Religion by Adeptus on 01-21-2010 at 05:34 AM

I have no objection to religion (any) when practiced as a personal belief.  Some people may need it, some may just enjoy it, some don't want anything to have to do wth it.  More power to them all.

I object to religion and any rules or morality derived from it when an attempt is made to impose it unto unwilling participants.  If you won't consider that religions other than yours (as well as not having one at all) are equally valid views --you don't deserve to have the freedom to practice yours.  You can have it back when you learn to grant the same to others.

RE: Views on Religion by Thor on 01-21-2010 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
I have no objection to religion (any) when practiced as a personal belief.  Some people may need it, some may just enjoy it, some don't want anything to have to do wth it.  More power to them all.

I object to religion and any rules or morality derived from it when an attempt is made to impose it unto unwilling participants.  If you won't consider that religions other than yours (as well as not having one at all) are equally valid views --you don't deserve to have the freedom to practice yours.  You can have it back when you learn to grant the same to others.
Wholeheartedly agreed.
RE: RE: Views on Religion by kezz on 01-21-2010 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Religions are like browsers, political views, and OSes.... discussing them on a forum will never go anywhere and likely result in the thread getting locked or people getting banned.

Precisely. Someone will be insulted, the topic will change at least 5 times, and the end result will be as Menthix stated.
RE: Views on Religion by user27089 on 01-21-2010 at 08:59 PM

To me, religion is nonsensical. I don't understand why a world that's so advanced in many senses is still relying or even believing in a higher power when there is so much proof that it's all false. It makes me cringe when people try and tell you the story of the Garden of Eden as though it actually happened and is fact. People are so gullible and stuck in their ways.

That being said, even though it makes me cringe I respect that people have their own views and beliefs. If someone is religious I don't cringe at them or try and put them off, I just leave them to it.

I'm not just following the crowd either. I go to church every year on Christmas Eve because my whole family does and it's a good family atmosphere afterwards. Though for the whole time in Church I am there cringing and I just feel uncomfortable. I think we're far too advanced for this now.

To be honest, I think Jesus was a man who existed, though not the man that people read about in the bible. The same with Mohammed, Moses, Noah etc etc. They were all just people who did good things and it was written about; in most cases it was written about hundreds of years later. How could a story like that possibly be accurate when it's written hundreds of years later from memory - there would definitely be some conjecture here and there.

People should look at the bible as a 'how to live your life' guide. Not as fact. Just pretend it's a book by Paul McKenna.

RE: Views on Religion by djdannyp on 01-21-2010 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
People should look at the bible as a 'how to live your life' guide. Not as fact. Just pretend it's a book by Paul McKenna.

Exactly my view....the morals of the stories are by and large unquestionable....but the bible being taken as fact is like chinese whispers gone wrong.

I think the concept has been around for so long and in a time before scientifical enlightenment (and proof!) that it's just too big a thing to ever be accepted as disproven
RE: Views on Religion by ZrednaZ on 01-30-2010 at 02:29 PM

Atheist all the way like most of my fellow countrymen. :)(6)

RE: Views on Religion by blessedguy on 01-30-2010 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kezz
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

Precisely. Someone will be insulted, the topic will change at least 5 times, and the end result will be as Menthix stated.
Yep. It's written "flamewars bait" in the tittle, tbh.
RE: Views on Religion by Vilkku on 01-30-2010 at 05:07 PM

I don't care what other people think about religion (as long as they respect my right to believe whatever I want, without harassing me (I'm not talking about christians, but about atheists)).

Also, that video you posted in the OP was just lol. "As a christian, you believe in the power of prayer." No I don't kthx.

RE: Views on Religion by Pr0xY on 02-11-2010 at 03:02 AM

Many historical events have been carried out in our life time & prior to, all in the name of "Religion".  The worldly views our culture holds & contributes to Religion often end up clouding & desensitizing the true message & lesson it's meant to present.  Cultural conditioning & personal experience also plays a large part.  Not to mention humanities 'freedom of choice' & the significant impact it has when a wolf in sheep's clothing is in power. 

A more intellectually stimulating conversation could start by questioning...
Religion vs Personal relationship with God...
A Peaceful God vs An Unconditionally loving God... 
Or if you're an atheists, describing the God you don't belief exists...