Shoutbox

iPad Reactions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: iPad Reactions (/showthread.php?tid=93682)

iPad Reactions by Nagamasa on 01-27-2010 at 11:01 PM

Now we know it's an iPad, what's your opinion on it?

Please don't start a Mac vs PC war...

I say, "No thank you." It's simply too expensive to be locked into an App Store, I'd expect to be able to do more with it.

If it was stripped MacBook, sure, I'd like it, but it's really just a [disproportionately] blown up iPhone, minus a camera that even the Nano has. My friends play Warcraft on their netbooks, and I don't think any would want to play some mini-game-like game for a similar price.

Of course, it's a tablet, but the fact that I'm tied to the App Store really doesn't make it very...appealing.

P.S.: iPad sounds like a children's toy; I prefer iSlate.
RE: iPad Reactions by matty on 01-27-2010 at 11:17 PM

Most epic neowin comment ever!

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-ipad-announced#comment-981117
oh dear, what a tragic name. It should only come in pink, and have a bold logo across the top "iPad - for all your feminine hygiene needs"

Back on topic, not for me; it doesn't appeal to me or would have very much use in my life...
RE: iPad Reactions by andrey on 01-27-2010 at 11:23 PM

I'll just copy/paste my opinions from the shoutbox :p

<andrey> srsly wtf. the iPad doesn't seem to do multitasking [Image: dodgy.gif] and i thought they introduced this thing to compete with netbooks? ¬¬
<andrey> so atm the iPad seems to be nothing more than an iPhone for people with very large hands [Image: hands.gif]

Looks like the iPad has a 1Ghz processor, either 16GB, 32GB or 64GB HDD and will cost up to $700.
To compare, my netbook has a 1.6GHz processor, 160GB HDD and a price tag of $400, has Windows and Linux installed and can do multitasking and Flash.

So in my opinion, this iPad will at best be a serious competitor to the Amazon Kindle, and at worst (and most likely imo) fail hard as an overhyped oversized iPod Touch.

Oh, and since you brought up the name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2drIylnDw :p

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I prefer iSlate.
tbh I think iSlate sounds even more ridiculous :p
RE: iPad Reactions by Voldemort on 01-27-2010 at 11:28 PM

inames are old...

RE: iPad Reactions by albert on 01-27-2010 at 11:42 PM

As far as the negative point :

no multi-tasking
no camera
no flash
no phone capabilities
extra $ for case and keyboard and camera kit

Good points :
3G prices : a lot of people are now looking to have the web EVERYWHERE. 3G is a nice alternative, but is usually expensive. Apple has no limit for 30$, that'll work, especially that it doesn't have a contract!

Final decision :
Apple's way too late in the game.

RE: iPad Reactions by Lou on 01-28-2010 at 12:29 AM

Frankly, I figure it's just a big iPod with 3G and that's kind of a big disappointment. They could have done so much more with it.

RE: iPad Reactions by prashker on 01-28-2010 at 12:40 AM

Backgrounder exists for jailbroken ipods, so I assume something similar will be created (if backgrounder won't work), for multitasking on iPad.

RE: iPad Reactions by Menthix on 01-28-2010 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
no multi-tasking
no camera
no flash
no phone capabilities
extra $ for case and keyboard and camera kit
Agreed. Well, except for the lack of phone capability, that's a pro, you would look like a giant douche making a phone call from that.

Also, it's apple so locked in every way: No freedom of applications, no upgradable storage, no standard USB connector, no mounting as USB mass storage, and the biggest one: no multitasking.

Also it's supposed to fill the gap between phone and PC, which is currently the netbook. Price isn't anywhere close to a netbook. Too expensive.

EDIT:
Also: Giant device, but they are using Micro GSM SIM cards? Why? It's not like they needed to because of lack of space, and this micro SIM form factor isn't common anywhere AFAIK.

Although from the picture it looks like you could just cut your existing SIM to size (Micro SIM is the red area only):
[Image: %27SIM-Mini-UICC%27-1_03138_01.jpg]
RE: iPad Reactions by prashker on 01-28-2010 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Also it's supposed to fill the gap between phone and PC, which is currently the netbook. Price isn't anywhere close to a netbook. Too expensive.
Agreed, my $270 HP netbook is amazing :p (dual booting between Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix)
RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-28-2010 at 12:54 AM

It's disproportional, but gladly the back isn't that aluminum that iPods touch have, they risk WAY too much.

It doesn't multitask. HORRIBLE. It has a 1Ghz processor and great battery but no multitasking. Why in the world? Specially with a screen that big.

The "2x" mode for apps is weird. Hope at least the majority of them are adapted to the new screen size.

The 3G plans seem to be nice, hope other countries get it (and that Brazil is included. But guess it won't).

The name is.......... weird. iSlate would be even more awkward (and sounds like "is late"). And, come on, Apple should get over the iNames for a while.

The screen is nice, but the borders are way too thick. Ok, it's big and some space is needed so that we don't touch the screen by mistake, but the space is still too big.

Liked the "dock-keyboard" thing, but at that price it should come included. I can easily Apple selling it for over $100.

Nice processor, hope it also comes to new iPhones/iPods touch.

We got it Apple, you like to control things. But why in the world can't Safari (natively) download things?

Also, got no camera. As disappointing as when we expected the iPod touch to have one. No USB Mass Storage (forgot the name of that, remembered with Menthix's post) , same problem the iPhones/iPods touch have. But why in the world? The iPod nano/shuffle have flash memmory as well and can, iPod classic has even more space and also mounts as one.

Overall: nice but over-rated. After all, it would be easier to suck cane and whistle at the same time than Apple listening to everything we ask.

RE: iPad Reactions by andrey on 01-28-2010 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Agreed, my $270 HP netbook is amazing :p (dual booting between Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix)
What did you expect? :p It was supposed to fill the gap between the iPhone and the MacBook, and for that it has a pretty moderate price tag :p
RE: iPad Reactions by prashker on 01-28-2010 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
quote:
quote:
What did you expect? :p It was supposed to fill the gap between the iPhone and the MacBook, and for that it has a pretty moderate price tag :p
But it doesn't seem like it does anything a normal person can take advantage of :zippy:

*speaking with barely any knowledge about the iPad, besides that it was recently announced
RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-28-2010 at 01:09 AM

quote:
*speaking with barely any knowledge about the iPad
Just a grown-up iPod touch, with a 3G/A-GPS model, with a slightly different name.
RE: iPad Reactions by andrey on 01-28-2010 at 01:14 AM

quote:
But it doesn't seem like it does anything a normal person can take advantage of
Yeah but if you think about it, it might be a hit amongst the more technologically challenged..
I can very well imagine elderly people using this, they just want to browse the internet and maybe write an email once in a while :p
RE: iPad Reactions by John Anderton on 01-28-2010 at 02:08 AM

A simple "not for me" should suffice :)

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-ipad-announced#comment-981117
oh dear, what a tragic name. It should only come in pink, and have a bold logo across the top "iPad - for all your feminine hygiene needs"
:rofl:
RE: iPad Reactions by MeEtc on 01-28-2010 at 03:30 AM

quote:
Good points :
3G prices : a lot of people are now looking to have the web EVERYWHERE. 3G is a nice alternative, but is usually expensive. Apple has no limit for 30$, that'll work, especially that it doesn't have a contract!
I wouldn't call 3G a good point. many places are already developing 4G products, be it WiMAX or LTE.

I haven't read anything else regarding the launch yet, so I'll hold the rest of my comments
RE: iPad Reactions by toddy on 01-28-2010 at 03:34 AM

lolz......says it all

why would you want an apple product anyway +o(

RE: iPad Reactions by albert on 01-28-2010 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Good points :
I wouldn't call 3G a good point. many places are already developing 4G products, be it WiMAX or LTE.

I haven't read anything else regarding the launch yet, so I'll hold the rest of my comments

I wasn't talking about its speed, but about the price!
RE: iPad Reactions by vaccination on 01-28-2010 at 09:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
quote:
But it doesn't seem like it does anything a normal person can take advantage of
Yeah but if you think about it, it might be a hit amongst the more technologically challenged..
I can very well imagine elderly people using this, they just want to browse the internet and maybe write an email once in a while :p
But who in their right mind would you out $400-700 for that ability? :P
RE: iPad Reactions by djdannyp on 01-28-2010 at 01:13 PM

Fail.

Basically.....tablet computing already failed once, I don't see why Apple think it will be different this time.  Echoing what other people have said, it's basically just a glorified iPod Touch, I'd go with a netbook any day.

It seems like they're trying to fill a gap in the market that doesn't really exist, between SmartPhones & Netbooks......but costing more than Netbooks, so kinda failing!

RE: iPad Reactions by John Anderton on 01-28-2010 at 02:31 PM

Any links to where I can see/dl the full keynote? I just saw some of it off the news in the morning while leaving for work :P

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
It sucks more than Sam on a Saturday morning, after coffee.

that's a lot of sucking!!
Sam sucks all the time. I guess the most is on a Friday night after dinner. :tongue:
RE: iPad Reactions by Chancer on 01-28-2010 at 02:33 PM

[Image: stonevsipad.jpg]

RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-28-2010 at 03:16 PM

iFact

[Image: evolution.jpg]

or even bigger!

RE: iPad Reactions by haydos on 01-28-2010 at 04:55 PM

I guess a pro to it is that marketing is easy.

"Business 'in the red'? Just buy an iPad for all the protection you need!"

RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-28-2010 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
"Business 'in the red'? Just buy an iPad for all the protection you need!"

Took a while to understand that =P Thought iPad was a bad name only because of the sound, until discovering what "pad" also means :lol:

btw...
When the iPod was released here, the joke was with the meaning of "pode", which has the same sound as "pod", and the sound the "i" has (ái). Saying "iPod" is the same as saying "OOOH you can". And yes, that sounds gay.

RE: iPad Reactions by Menthix on 01-28-2010 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Any links to where I can see/dl the full keynote?
Stream one of these in VLC or alike:
High Quality
Medium Quality
Low Quality

Or if you have QuickTime support: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/specialevent0110/
RE: iPad Reactions by MeEtc on 01-28-2010 at 08:35 PM

Well it looks great and all, mostly eye candy. but it isn't going to be playing Crysis anytime soon

RE: iPad Reactions by kao on 01-28-2010 at 09:22 PM

MaxiPad.

Just a big lol from me.

RE: iPad Reactions by Jarrod on 01-29-2010 at 09:42 AM

I'd buy one to code on if it actually ran osx

RE: iPad Reactions by vaccination on 01-29-2010 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
I'd buy one to code on if it actually ran osx
Lol, you're shitting me. You'd spend £600 on an abnormally sized, ugly, device which has no features to simply code on? Why? You'd be better off just writing your code on a piece of paper. If you want to code on the move, you buy a laptop or netbook, not some poxy touch device that you'd have to spend extra money on just to have a keyboard, more money if you want a usb port and yet still more money if you want a case to hold it in...
RE: iPad Reactions by Jarrod on 01-29-2010 at 11:30 AM

I don't want a laptop, I want a slate which doesn't need to be unfolded to use, but it won't run the apps I would like so I do see it being rather useless

RE: iPad Reactions by Menthix on 01-29-2010 at 12:48 PM

quote:
I don't want a laptop, I want a slate which doesn't need to be unfolded to use
I can understand that for a lot of uses, but for coding? Like Vaccination said. The only possible way to do somewhat decent coding on it is to get the keyboard attachment, at which point you are already better of just getting a notebook/laptop. But even with a decent keyboard, the resolution it has doesn't make it worth coding more than 10 lines on.
RE: iPad Reactions by Jarrod on 01-29-2010 at 01:07 PM

quote:
doesn't make it worth coding more than 10 lines on.
I code python so I rarely have a code block more than 10 lines anyway
I want to be able to sit on the bus to work, pull it out of my bag and begin coding using the onscreen keyboard, using a laptop on a bus is cumbersome you have all these awkward angles of seats and screens , the fact that a laptop opens out  makes it the wrong shape for use on a bus. anyway but it doesn't matter because I won't be buying one anyway, but as well as coding I imagine it would make a decent video player
RE: iPad Reactions by Th3rmal on 01-29-2010 at 01:08 PM

I wonder what the battery life is on one of those things

RE: RE: iPad Reactions by Jarrod on 01-29-2010 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
http://tinyurl.com/ya25ydy
RE: iPad Reactions by Th3rmal on 01-29-2010 at 01:47 PM

quote:
quote:
http://tinyurl.com/ya25ydy
actual battery life, not something apple posts.
"Up to 10 hours" leaves alot to the imagination.
RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-29-2010 at 01:53 PM

quote:
actual battery life, not something apple posts.
"Up to 10 hours" leaves alot to the imagination.
According to the keynote, 10 hours of video, one month standby.
Never had problems with Apple's announced battery life, they usually last longer than promissed, I'm not doubting it actually does better than that.
Also, something like that surely comports a battery huge enough :chrongue:
RE: iPad Reactions by albert on 01-29-2010 at 02:22 PM

quote:
quote:
doesn't make it worth coding more than 10 lines on.
I code python so I rarely have a code block more than 10 lines anyway
I want to be able to sit on the bus to work, pull it out of my bag and begin coding using the onscreen keyboard, using a laptop on a bus is cumbersome you have all these awkward angles of seats and screens , the fact that a laptop opens out  makes it the wrong shape for use on a bus. anyway but it doesn't matter because I won't be buying one anyway, but as well as coding I imagine it would make a decent video player

You could get the upcoming HP Slate. Should do the job for you.
RE: iPad Reactions by toddy on 01-29-2010 at 10:56 PM

netbook's are fine to use on any bus, get one of the good seats and can happily use an 17+" laptop....i do it every day, bar the odd strange look, its 10 time better better than using an ipap will ever be!

a punch in the face is more useful then one of those pieces of shite

RE: iPad Reactions by Chrissy on 01-29-2010 at 11:19 PM

I've had my iphone a year and the battery is only using half what it did :P I know batteries degrade and charge out but this is faster then any other device I've had in ages.

RE: iPad Reactions by Jarrod on 01-29-2010 at 11:30 PM

quote:
You could get the upcoming HP Slate. Should do the job for you.
I won't run the environment I wish to code in

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
netbook's are fine to use on any bus, get one of the good seats and can happily use an 17+" laptop....i do it every day, bar the odd strange look, its 10 time better better than using an ipap will ever be!

a punch in the face is more useful then one of those pieces of shite
like I said, I am agreeing with you because because apple put an f**ing ipod os on it rather than a proper os wich just makes it  useless
if however apple do release something similar running a proper os  I would buy one

RE: iPad Reactions by Menthix on 01-30-2010 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
netbook's are fine to use on any bus, get one of the good seats and can happily use an 17+" laptop....i do it every day
Clearly you have never been on a Dutch bus :).
RE: iPad Reactions by vaccination on 01-30-2010 at 01:51 AM

[Image: ngognu.gif]

RE: iPad Reactions by albert on 01-30-2010 at 02:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
[Image: ngognu.gif]

lowned.

edit : yes I made that up!
RE: iPad Reactions by prashker on 01-30-2010 at 05:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
I've had my iphone a year and the battery is only using half what it did :P I know batteries degrade and charge out but this is faster then any other device I've had in ages.

When my iPhone is doing nothing, it drains no battery. I had a fully charged 100% iphone, played games for like 2 hours till it was at 8%.

I woke up and it was still at 8%.

So sure standby time is awesome, but actual usage time can be ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
RE: iPad Reactions by absorbation on 01-30-2010 at 01:31 PM

I'm underwhelmed so probably wouldn't invest in one yet. However, if Apple fix the issues with the device I may be tempted as the hardware itself is fundamentally sound.

RE: iPad Reactions by albert on 01-30-2010 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I'm underwhelmed so probably wouldn't invest in one yet. However, if Apple fix the issues with the device I may be tempted as the hardware itself is fundamentally sound.

I don't think they will. Companies have lost $ selling netbooks instead of full sized devices, I don't think apple wants to fall into that trend
RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-30-2010 at 09:00 PM

I'm surprised so many of you are so close-minded.

People who aren't tech savvy will really want this thing. My aunty wants one and countless people at school want one. They think it's 'cool'.

It has potential for sure, backgrounder (as sam said) exists for the JB devices, so it won't be hard to port over when it's jailbroken. It also has double the CPU power meaning even more powerful games (seen the NFS: Shift game on the iphone. Amazing graphics for such a small device, and great gameplay). Double that and wow.

Anyway, browsing a web on the table with your hands will work.

My aunty said she has a notebook and it's too small with all the keyboard and stuff, generally hard to look at, whereas the iPad is just there, no keyboard to mess about with or tiny touchpad, just use the screen to navigate.

I know it will work, and i'm actually thinking of buying one. Jailbreakers will find a way to put flash on the device.

RE: iPad Reactions by Spunky on 01-30-2010 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
It has potential for sure, backgrounder (as sam said) exists for the JB devices, so it won't be hard to port over when it's jailbroken

Non-tech savvy people are going to jailbreak them then?

Lookin down at a screen is unnatural as is typing with your hands elevated or vertical. The laptop design is ideal and the ipad is totally wrong IMO
RE: iPad Reactions by djdannyp on 01-30-2010 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Jailbreakers will find a way to put flash on the device.

You shouldn't have to hack a product to be able to use it properly though :/

Any I'm sure that anyone who isn't tech savvy won't want to be spending £400+ on a gimmicky gadget.

Do non-tech savvy people have the £50 ipod touch....or the £250 ipod shuffle?  I rest my case ;)

RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-30-2010 at 09:11 PM

Have you seen how easy it is to jailbreak now?

It literally takes 15 seconds thanks to geohots new application. Press one button and it's done all automatically.

And you are totally wrong djdannp, people see this as a 'fashion icon' people will buy it to 'be in with the trend', 'cool' etc.

RE: iPad Reactions by prashker on 01-31-2010 at 06:15 AM

quote:
It literally takes 15 seconds thanks to geohots new application. Press one button and it's done all automatically.
And he's now looking into PS3 hacking :banana:
RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-31-2010 at 06:44 PM

quote:
quote:
And he's now looking into PS3 hacking :banana:
Yeah I heard about that, didn't he find a way to read/write into the memory or something on there?
RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-31-2010 at 08:28 PM

quote:
didn't he find a way to read/write into the memory or something on there?
Yep, and published the files needed to replicate it.
RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-31-2010 at 08:32 PM

Good, it's been 3 years for christs sake. How long till the xbox got hacked, a few months possibly?

RE: iPad Reactions by vaccination on 01-31-2010 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Good, it's been 3 years for christs sake. How long till the xbox got hacked, a few months possibly?
Yeah well a lot more people wanna play the Xbox, nobody bothered with the PS3 till now. ;)
RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-31-2010 at 09:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Yeah well a lot more people wanna play the Xbox, nobody bothered with the PS3 till now. ;)
Ahh, sly dig ;) (the wink icon makes me cringe lol, I see why you use noparse).

But we all know the PS3 is better :P

* Nathan has just poured petrol on the floor, let the flame war commence :P

RE: iPad Reactions by Lou on 01-31-2010 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Have you seen how easy it is to jailbreak now?

And you are totally wrong djdannp, people see this as a 'fashion icon' people will buy it to 'be in with the trend', 'cool' etc.
Doesn't work on the newest Ipod Touch (I would know... ask val). Plus, like was said earlier, you shouldn't have to break into the software to use it properly. Besides, doing so usually voids the warranty :undecided:.
RE: iPad Reactions by vaccination on 01-31-2010 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Ahh, sly dig ;) (the wink icon makes me cringe lol, I see why you use noparse).

Yeah it's terrible :P

As for the flame war, meh. I prefer 360, for various reasons, I know a lot of people on here like the 360. Either way though, lets focus on the real enemy, Apple! They're bastards, that's at least something we can agree-- oh wait...
RE: iPad Reactions by blessedguy on 01-31-2010 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
Doesn't work on the newest Ipod Touch
Lies. It works on my iPod touch, which is the latest 32Gb one =p
The only difference is that reboot needs the PC. But who in the world reboots it instead of using lock?
RE: iPad Reactions by Nathan on 01-31-2010 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by Lou
Doesn't work on the newest Ipod Touch
Lies. It works on my iPod touch, which is the latest 32Gb one =p
The only difference is that reboot needs the PC. But who in the world reboots it instead of using lock?

That's using blackra1n though. You can use redsn0w for a permanent JB,

And you would have to use the pc when it goes totally dead.