Shoutbox

Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) (/showthread.php?tid=93837)

Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 03:35 PM

Well here's the problem.

I am fixing an acer laptop (Ferrari 4000 Series) and there seems to be some weird problems.

At random times but very close to the start up the computer just freezes. It's not at any stage. The mouse, keyboard and LCD just freeze and nothing happens. If i boot from a disk and try to reformat it happens there to.

• It's not an OS problem because it happens when I'm booting from a CD or in the BIOS.
  • It's not graphics, as sound also stops.

After thinking installing a new OS would help it would still freeze. So I took out the HDD and connected it to my laptop. I tried to install windows 7 to it from windows but it said it cannot install to external hard drives. (this is not a problem as i know the problem is not the OS)

Any ideas?
RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Spunky on 02-14-2010 at 05:26 PM

Are you sure it's not just the screen freezing?

I recently fixed a laptop that they thought had crashed, but the screen would simply stick (meaning you cannot see mouse movements or keystrokes)

I think the problem turned out to be the graphics card in that case. Good point to start though.

Always remember my number 1 rule for laptop repairs:

Acer are shit.

My GF had one (she chose it) and had nothing but problems. She's doing much better now with the Compaq Presario that I picked for her :p

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Are you sure it's not just the screen freezing?

I recently fixed a laptop that they thought had crashed, but the screen would simply stick (meaning you cannot see mouse movements or keystrokes)

I think the problem turned out to be the graphics card in that case. Good point to start though.

Always remember my number 1 rule for laptop repairs:

Acer are shit.

My GF had one (she chose it) and had nothing but problems. She's doing much better now with the Compaq Presario that I picked for her :p
Thanks, I've stripped it down now. I'll have a look at that first, also it may be a overheat as I saw ALOT of dust.

quote:
Originally posted by pista05
a reformat should fix it
quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc

• It's not an OS problem because it happens when I'm booting from a CD or in the BIOS.

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Mike on 02-14-2010 at 07:33 PM

Also, download memtest86 and test for faulty RAM.

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 09:01 PM

I have memtest86 and was going to check but I forgot :P

Ill go do that now.

Also, it's heating up WAY to high. I've fixed more than 200 laptops/pc's and this ones being a cock :P

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by albert on 02-15-2010 at 01:54 AM

just run a full diag and test all of the hardware.

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 02-15-2010 at 01:20 PM

Ok, I've cleaned out all the dust and it's defo not over heating. Although it's still sticking :(

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 03-02-2010 at 04:29 PM

Bump :P

I have installed a new HDD, finally it's detecting it. The main problem is still here though, at random points the whole system just freezes. In BIOS, in a boot up from CD or even, the OS itself.

Any ideas?

Edit: It's not graphics, as sound stops as well!

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by matty on 03-02-2010 at 05:35 PM

I didn't see you post any results from memtest86. How did that go?

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 03-02-2010 at 05:52 PM

The first stick did not complete because it froze. It got to about 70% with no problems. Weird thing is, then it froze (the % and time) the little + was still flashing.

I'm testing the second stick now.

Edit: It freezes on both sticks, so the test cannot complete.

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by matty on 03-02-2010 at 08:22 PM

Did both sticks come with the laptop?

quote:
Originally posted by xx_emz_xx@live.co.
my acer computer keeps doingg this wierd thing wen i click on msn :/ i wonder if anyone knows how to unpin or unlock msn live plus x :/ ? x
What does this have anything to do with the OP's post about his laptop freezing...
RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 03-02-2010 at 08:30 PM

Think so. Anyway, I've done a test and both are 100% fine. I took out the wireless adapter, and it has been working fine for the last 15 minutes. Not sure, but it might be the wireless card for some odd reason.

I'll update soon.

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 03-02-2010 at 10:19 PM

It's fixed

The wireless card was faulty and crashing the BIOS that was in turn crashing the whole computer.

Thanks All! (matty(y))

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Menthix on 03-02-2010 at 10:46 PM

Hah, wouldn't have thought of that soon, especially when it was even crashing in BIOS. What brand/model was it, and how does it connect (PCMCIA/USB/Mini-PCI(internally)?

RE: Acer Laptop Freezing - (totally) by Chrissy on 03-02-2010 at 10:53 PM

PCMCIA :P Yeah internally. I replaced the card :). I was lucky I had a spare :D.

Oh well, experience :P (and cash).