Shoutbox

[Release] Easy Math and Symbols 2.0.3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols 2.0.3 (/showthread.php?tid=93870)

[Release] Easy Math and Symbols 2.0.3 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 12:53 PM

EASY MATH AND SYMBOLS 2.0.3

Hello everyone,
here is my script Easy Math and Symbols. Allows you to insert symbols and mathematical notations on Messenger and customize your nickname and personal message!

Currently it supports 5 languages (it, en, de, fr, nl).

What is Easy Math and Symbols

- Enter symbols and mathematical notations easily while chatting
- Customize and format your personal message and nickname with symbols and colors
- Insert symbols with fast codes

Last updates

- New Psm and Nickname editor
- New tabbed interface
- Many symbols added
- Changed script menu
- Some important bugs fixed

Previous versions

- Five languages with automatic language selection
- Quick Help added
- Donation link added
- Different script menu for contact list and chat window

Suggestions, bugs and translations are welcome! :) Thanks to all.

[Image: screenshoteb.png]

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 12:59 PM

It asks for a language when i open the scripts menu... Thats kind of anoying... Can't it has a better timing?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 01:28 PM

Resolved, try to download again :)

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 01:32 PM

Heheh good service.. ty :)

Maybe for a next update you should make the interface more user friendly by adding TABs.. Like one for setting PSM and Nick...

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by Chris4 on 02-17-2010 at 03:15 PM

Good idea for a script (Y)

Found a bug: The first time you open the menu for the script, whether it be in conversation or contacts list, all the items appear 'undefined'.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=987824]

You then click off the menu and go back on it and it appears fine.

Opening the script from the contacts list seems unnecessary because, although it allows you to see which shortcuts you can use to insert the symbols, when you click the buttons they don't do anything because there's no conversation to insert them into.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by ArkaneArkade on 02-17-2010 at 03:17 PM

Nice.  Seems to work well, and is simple to use.

When I first imported it though, going to the menu just had every value as "undefined".  I think you need the language to either ask for input if theres none set, or else just automatically set it to one.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billyy

Maybe for a next update you should make the interface more user friendly by adding TABs.. Like one for setting PSM and Nick...

Good idea for version 2.0 ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Found a bug: The first time you open the menu for the script, whether it be in conversation or contacts list, all the items appear 'undefined'.

Now I fix it.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Opening the script from the contacts list seems unnecessary because, although it allows you to see which shortcuts you can use to insert the symbols, when you click the buttons they don't do anything because there's no conversation to insert them into.

Right.. I thought it, too!

Thanks to all. Now I work on version 1.7...
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by matty on 02-17-2010 at 04:05 PM

Instead of asking for the user language. Use MsgPlus.UILangCode property and select it based on that. If they are not using one of the 4 you support default to english and then have a setting available to change it.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Instead of asking for the user language. Use MsgPlus.UILangCode property and select it based on that. If they are not using one of the 4 you support default to english and then have a setting available to change it.

Ok ;)
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.6 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 04:53 PM

yesh matty thats a goog idea :P
humz ima try the dutch version.. see if i made any mistakes...
the language file was kinda vague, i couldnt rly make up where evrything went and that kinda matters >_<

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Chrissy on 02-17-2010 at 05:36 PM

Forum doesn't support unicode so I'll post the translation in a ZIP file.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 05:45 PM

holy **** xD

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Here's a translation to russian

From text [12] to text [22] you must use the letters, and not the HTML codes...
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by matty on 02-17-2010 at 06:00 PM

Our board does not accept unicode characters.

Krissy put the file in a zip and post that...

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Chrissy on 02-17-2010 at 06:01 PM

Yeah, noticed that now :O

I'll do that now :P Thanks Matty.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Mauron on 02-17-2010 at 06:08 PM

Hey dude, version 1.6 is still attached.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 06:11 PM

yeah i noticed too.. NO DUTCH :(

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Mauron on 02-17-2010 at 06:15 PM

In About windows is even still reported 1.5 version. Except fort this futile issues, it's a good script. Could you add also the double arrow for "equivalent"?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mauron
Hey dude, version 1.6 is still attached.

quote:
yeah i noticed too.. NO DUTCH :(

quote:
In About windows is even still reported 1.5 version.

Try now :)

quote:
Could you add also the double arrow for "equivalent"?

In version 2.0 I will add some new features (and new symbols, like this) ;)
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 06:29 PM

I likes :P

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Mauron on 02-17-2010 at 07:12 PM

Still 1.6 in the link.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 07:15 PM

yeah it seems to be...
the clues:
-No dutch or rusian
-erm it says verson 1.6

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 07:21 PM

quote:
yeah it seems to be...
the clues:
-No dutch or rusian
-erm it says verson 1.6

Where? I download it, and it says version 1.7...
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Mauron on 02-17-2010 at 07:34 PM

The only link to the script in the page... did you forget to upload it again? :P

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Tochjo on 02-17-2010 at 07:37 PM

The file attached to the first post is version 1.7. Are you sure you are downloading the file from the server again and not seeing a cached version?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 07:39 PM

*whistles*
stops whistling...
Hey i didn't make a stupid mistake!
Nope im downloading the new one but it says 1.6 in the script info as well as theres no dutch :/

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Chris4 on 02-17-2010 at 07:40 PM

Well in regards to the 1.7 version, thumbs up for disabling it from the contacts list and fixing the bugs. (Y)

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 07:46 PM

I totaly removed 1.6 from my computer and i downloaded what was attached to the thread..
I get this:
[Image: ragh.png]
[Image: ragh2.png]

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 07:48 PM

It's a cached version... Online there's the 1.7...

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 07:50 PM

well how ma i going to get that :S
I have done anything, clearing download history, the actual old file, i deinstalled it from msgplus!live, ive even removed it from my trashcan O_O

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Chris4 on 02-17-2010 at 08:02 PM

quote:
CTRL+F5
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 08:05 PM

nope nothing!
still 1.6!!!!

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 08:09 PM

Download it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?42ynuvtmjkj...

What browser are you using?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 08:10 PM

Iron(best browser evah)
Ty..
Now it's there, you should put it as backup link >_<

Urm... where do i choose the language?

RE: RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Mauron on 02-17-2010 at 08:30 PM

quote:
I have done anything, clearing download history, the actual old file, i deinstalled it from msgplus!live, ive even removed it from my trashcan O_O
We can't do all this mess to download the new version. The error is in the main link (how can we get a cheched version?!)
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 08:34 PM

download it from http://www.mediafire.com/?42ynuvtmjkj LOL

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Urm... where do i choose the language?

Removed option (see changelog) ... was not necessary!

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 09:07 PM

See the what now?
Wait wait wait, its automated now?
Thats great actualy..
But it should check if the language was changed.
Maybe at relog or something?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by djdannyp on 02-17-2010 at 09:12 PM

quote:
quote:
We can't do all this mess to download the new version. The error is in the main link (how can we get a cheched version?!)

The initial link isn't broken, you're downloading a cached version.  The only way to get the newer version is to clear your browser cache, that's all you need to do

quote:
See the what now?
Wait wait wait, its automated now?
Why not have it as extra function?

Because having it as automatic makes more sense and is less for users to get confused about
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Why not have it as extra function?

I thought that a person does not choose the script language different from the MsgPlus language.. So it is a redundant function...
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 09:13 PM

Yeah no wait i get it but it should check, in case the language is changed O_O

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

The initial link isn't broken, you're downloading a cached version.  The only way to get the newer version is to clear your browser cache, that's all you need to do
That didn't work for me :/
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 09:19 PM

quote:
in case the language is changed O_O

In what sense?
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 09:20 PM

well if my messenger plus is set to english (default) but if i install this and later decide to change it to dutch i must reset the script to make it dutch too O_O

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 09:25 PM

quote:
well if my messenger plus is set to english (default) but if i install this and later decide to change it to dutch i must reset the script to make it dutch too O_O

The new language is recognized the next time you restart Messenger!
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by djdannyp on 02-17-2010 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Yeah no wait i get it but it should check, in case the language is changed O_O

quote:

That didn't work for me :/

Try Internet Explorer then ;)

RE: RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-17-2010 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Try Internet Explorer then ;)

(Y)

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-17-2010 at 11:33 PM

no internet explorer didnt work eitehr ubt i dont see why we are still on that because it has been on MediaFire(WIN) for hours :S

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Chrissy on 02-17-2010 at 11:42 PM

You got any ad-ons or google stuff installed?

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by djdannyp on 02-17-2010 at 11:56 PM

How are you trying to clear your download cache?

When I click that link I get 1.7, so it's obviously something to do with your computer caching an old version, not with that link.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by CookieRevised on 02-18-2010 at 05:07 AM

Doesn't this highly depend on the font being used?
Not all fonts support all those symbols.

quote:
Originally posted by AngelDevil
quote:

Good idea for version 2.0 ;)
Or even better... don't...

tip: instead of letting it depend on a specific conversation window, or the PSM, etc... simply send the clicked symbol to the keyboard handler. This ensures that you can insert the symbol in whatever edit box is active, no matter if it is a conversation window, PSM edit box, or heck even notepad... And the user doesn't need to be bothered with confusing tabs or whatever.

This would simplify the script and would increase the usefullness.

Also adding a kind of sticky button (typically a pin button in the upper right corner) to keep the window on top or not would be nice.

;)

------------------------

Tips:

Try to avoid things like this:
code:
try {
    status = shell.RegRead(MsgPlus.ScriptRegPath + Messenger.MyUserId + "\\Status");
}
catch (Exception) {
    status = 1;
    shell.RegWrite(MsgPlus.ScriptRegPath + Messenger.MyUserId + "\\Status", status, "REG_DWORD");
}
I mean the RegWrite in the error catch{}. This is bad practice and only clutters the registry with unneeded settings.
Meaning, if there is no current setting saved in the registry, you should simply only set the setting variable to the default value but not write to the registry.

Writing to the registry should only be done when the user has actually _changed_ the default setting to something else! Try to avoid writing default settings, there is no need at all.
So those RegWrite lines can be removed in those kind of functions (thus this both goes for status and for lang). You already have programmed the only registry writes you need in OnLangWndEvent_CtrlClicked() and OnEvent_MenuClicked().

PS: (y) for including the Messenger.MyUserID. This is also quite often forgotten.

----

As mentioned by others, you forgot to read and check the language setting upon startup.

But there is more. What if the user has altered the language setting in the registry to something your script does not reconize? In that case it should default to English (for example) too. To fix that, move the else if (lang == "English") to the end of the If-Then-Else structure and change it to a simple else, thus without a comparisson:
code:
    else if (lang == "Deutsch") {
    {
    else
    {
        text[0] = "List of symbols";
        text[1] = "Enable";
        text[2] = "Disable";
    }
;)

EDIT: apparently you already fixed the above in v1.7 (y)

---------

The Dutch translation is full of errors. Almost all strings have an error in them. Corrected:

text[0] = "Symbolen invoegen...";
note: all translations should include the ellipsis here if you used a verb to describe an action. An ellipsis is used when another dialog first needs to be opened to do the final action. And better to make "Symbol" plural, since you can actually add more than one symbol.

text[1] = "Inschakelen";
text[2] = "Uitschakelen";

text[5] = "ingeschakeld.";
text[6] = "uitgeschakeld.";

// text[8] = "Taal";
note: not used anymore

text[9] = "Eenvoudige Wiskunde & Symbolen is nu in het Nederlands.";
note: If you're going to translate the title of the script, then you should be consistant and have a seperate translation for that too. eg: in the toast display the title is hard coded and not translated, in other places it is translated.

//text[10] = "Selecteer taal:";
note: not used anymore? If still or agan being used it should be: "Taal selecteren"

text[12] = "Gebruik de code aan de rechter kant of gebruik de knop om een symbool toe te voegen aan een chat gesprek:";
If you do want to use 'chat' (which isn't consitant with the Dutch translation btw) it is one word: 'chatgesprek', without a space.

text[13] = "Grieks";
note: the previous one ("Griekse symbolen") is way too long for the limited space you have.

text[15] = "Varia";
note: "Varieerend" should be spelled as: "Variërend". But better is simply "Varia".

text[16] = "Wiskundige symbolen";

text[17] = "Eenvoudige Wiskunde & Symbolen 1.7 is een script dat je toelaat om symbolen en wiskundige formules toe te voegen aan msn gesprekken.";
note: also see notes on text[9] en text[12]. Also I recommend not to hard code the version number in this string. Get the version number dynamically from a global variable or something.

text[19] = "Bijdrage: .....";
"Bijdragers" is never ever used, instead you can also use "Medewerkers:", although that is more used in the context of co-authors, less in the context of people who helped you out once.
And in English I would change "Collaborators" to "Contributers:".

text[22] = "Selecteer Eenvoudige Wiskunde & Symbolen in het scriptmenu. In de symbolenlijst staan de ondersteunde symbolen geordend per catogorie.\n\nKlik op een knop om het symbool toe te voegen in een gesprek, of gebruik de symboolcode. Met de codes kun je ook symbolen in je persoonlijk bericht en je schermnaam toevoegen.";
note: again the title issue. And in the original Dutch translation you have a nice example here of how things will screw up when you hard code a title translation in each translation line. In the original Dutch translation, the title here is not consistant with some of the other lines.
I also recommend changing "allowed" in "supported" because a lot more is 'allowed', but only those few symbols are supported by your script.

note: too much reasons to list, but the major thing here is that the dialog is too small to show all that text.

text[23] = "Doneren";
note: In menus, the guideline is to use the infinitive form of verbs

text[24] = "Verzenden naar contact";
note: also see text[23]. And the ellipsis should be removed on all translations since there is no extra dialog.

text[25] = "Hey! Download gratis Eenvoudige Wiskunde & Symbolen voor Messenger Plus! Live. Geen malware of virus: ......";
note: again inconsistancy with the title, even in English. Also, try to use the proper and full name of Plus!.

text[26] = "Meer"
note: "Anders" is realy not a good translation in this context

-

There might still be some smaller translation errors or some translations are maybe a bit too long to fit in the controls though. I didn't checked everything extremely closely atm since I'm very very tired.

---------

I would also reorder the menu a bit though. And get rid of the submenu:
  Insert symbols...
  Enable/Disable
  -
  Make a donation
  Send to contact
  -
  Help
  About
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-18-2010 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Doesn't this highly depend on the font being used?
Not all fonts support all those symbols.

Possible, but the symbols are from Arial map (there are many Unicode symbols, supported by various fonts). However, a good remark.

quote:
tip: instead of letting it depend on a specific conversation window, or the PSM, etc... simply send the clicked symbol to the keyboard handler. This ensures that you can insert the symbol in whatever edit box is active, no matter if it is a conversation window, PSM edit box, or heck even notepad...

Now I try it, it could be a good solution. (Y)

quote:
EDIT: apparently you already fixed the above in v1.7

Yes. Several other users have reported this, solved using UiLanguage property.

quote:
The Dutch translation is full of errors. Almost all strings have an error in them. Corrected:

Thanks, I speak italian and I don't know Dutch! :) billyy has done Dutch translation.

quote:
// text[8] = "Taal";
note: not used anymore

Not used, but I left it in case it is necessary in a future release (but it uses memory unnecessarily :D)

quote:
in the toast display the title is hard coded and not translated, in other places it is translated.

I think it's good to keep the English title, so I fix it.

quote:
text[13] = "Grieks";
note: the previous one ("Griekse symbolen") is way too long for the limited space you have.

Good ;)

quote:
There might still be some smaller translation errors or some translations are maybe a bit too long to fit in the controls though. I didn't checked everything extremely closely atm since I'm very very tired.

Thanks for your help! :)

quote:
I would also reorder the menu a bit though. And get rid of the submenu:
  Insert symbols...
  Enable/Disable
  -
  Make a donation
  Send to contact
  -
  Help
  About

Yes, excellent idea ;) thank you very very much!
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by Tochjo on 02-18-2010 at 09:44 AM

In regards to the cached downloads: I think if you put the version number in the name of the attached file the problem is fixed, since in that case it should be obvious to the browser that it's a new file.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by AngelDevil on 02-18-2010 at 11:56 AM

quote:
quote:
tip: instead of letting it depend on a specific conversation window, or the PSM, etc... simply send the clicked symbol to the keyboard handler. This ensures that you can insert the symbol in whatever edit box is active, no matter if it is a conversation window, PSM edit box, or heck even notepad...

Now I try it, it could be a good solution.

Which is the keyboard handler object?
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
In regards to the cached downloads: I think if you put the version number in the name of the attached file the problem is fixed, since in that case it should be obvious to the browser that it's a new file.

Done.. Try this new EM&S version!
RE: RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v1.7 by billyy on 02-18-2010 at 02:04 PM

quote:
quote:

Thanks, I speak italian and I don't know Dutch! :) billyy has done Dutch translation.

Told you i didn't rly look at the context 8-)
And maybe i just completely suck at every language i speak *-)
Oookay and every language i type [Image: undecided.gif]
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v2.0.0 by AngelDevil on 02-24-2010 at 03:26 PM

New version 2.0 added ;) translations update need..

PS: not all computers support all symbols.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v2.0.0 by Nagamasa on 02-25-2010 at 04:55 AM

One suggestion: It would be nice when you open the PSM editing, it doesn't automatically override your current one.

RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols v2.0.0 by AngelDevil on 02-25-2010 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
One suggestion: It would be nice when you open the PSM editing, it doesn't automatically override your current one.

This only happens the first start of the script. It's important to force the change of user psm, to manage the property Messenger.MyPersonalMessage (that don't work correctly).
For info, read here:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=93515
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols 2.0.3 by AngelDevil on 02-26-2010 at 02:27 PM

quote:
New version 2.0 added ;) translations update need..

PS: not all computers support all symbols.

Bugs fixed in version 2.0.3, now available.
RE: [Release] Easy Math and Symbols 2.0.3 by ViBE on 07-10-2011 at 01:31 PM

hi! i made the hungarian translation. add it please.