Shoutbox

Improve user registration - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Improve user registration (/showthread.php?tid=93873)

Improve user registration by matty on 02-17-2010 at 03:19 PM

DZ, how about adding some numerical equation CAPTCHA to the registration which would help prevent bots from registering :)

RE: Improve user registration by blessedguy on 02-17-2010 at 04:11 PM

Why equational captchas when recaptcha is a great one? :P
By the way
[Image: b4e52face9041c3ffd84868f366907ab.png]

RE: Improve user registration by Lou on 02-17-2010 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Why equational captchas when recaptcha is a great one? :P
By the way
[Image: b4e52face9041c3ffd84868f366907ab.png]
I definitely agree with recaptcha, it's solving our problems over at msgstuff, but it's WDZ so... :P.
RE: Improve user registration by toddy on 02-17-2010 at 07:24 PM

people moan about the forum being quiet/dead, yet then want to get rid of the only users posting.............

RE: Improve user registration by Menthix on 02-17-2010 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
people moan about the forum being quiet/dead, yet then want to get rid of the only users posting...
If we would want to read spam we would be monitoring the junk mail folder all day.
RE: Improve user registration by WDZ on 02-17-2010 at 11:46 PM

I've never seen evidence of a spambot problem here... if the spammers we get are in fact bots, they suck and they're horribly inefficient. :p

I think it's actually just humans who do the spamming manually, probably getting paid peanuts, Mechanical Turk-style.

RE: Improve user registration by Nagamasa on 02-18-2010 at 03:59 AM

I personally don't like recatchpa, I find those ones extremely hard to read sometimes.

Although other ones similar to it, sure =), but I don't think it's a top priority. *cough*

RE: Improve user registration by prashker on 02-18-2010 at 04:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I personally don't like recatchpa, I find those ones extremely hard to read sometimes.
Nothing a refresh can't fix :p
RE: Improve user registration by CookieRevised on 02-18-2010 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Nothing a refresh can't fix :p
Then it failed to do what it is suppose to do, looking at it in one way...

-------------

I agree on that reCaptcha (and many many similar ones) is shit comment. Why on earth does it need to be so difficult to read it for a human?

Many of those captcha systems seem to forget that it is dead easy for a OCR to see the difference between colors, so why bother with that to begin with. Or what's up with colored backgrounds? Completely useless. And as for backgrounds with lines etc: if there is one thing an OCR can reconize easily it are those things (grids, lines, etc).

Second, as for stuff like reCaptcha, a problem they have is that their letters are extremely big and thick and therefor can be recognized relativly easly compared to a more normal font but with random pixels in the background. So, ofcourse they need to distort the words so much. As for using words: not everybody speaks english and thus can reconize the proper words.

I've been using an extremely simply numerical captcha since a while now and had no problems with spambots at all. Although it isn't for a massive forum like this with a lot of exposure. Nevertheless, I have tested that simple captcha system with several of the popular (and bigger professional) OCR packages and to my big surprise none that I've tested can reconize the numbers properly, eventhough it seems rather simple to do it for this kind of extremely simple captcha: [Image: attachment.php?pid=987983]

And if there is one which can recognize the numbers (I have no doubt their is some package though, but didn't come across it yet), who would bother with it anyways, that's for the site it is used on though. Maybe someone will bother when it would be used on such a big forum as this....

anyways... blahblah... just ranting before going to sleep.. most captchas of today are shiit... there, I said it... some bullshit post from me (hmmm... maybe there should have been a captcha before posting... would have prevented me from posting this as I wouldn't have bothered :P)

:D
RE: Improve user registration by matty on 02-18-2010 at 03:30 PM

I generate 2 random numbers and just print it to the screen

PHP code:
        <div id="content">
            <h1>Verify Your Account</h1>
            <cite>Welcome <?=$strUsername;?></cite>
            <?
                $n1 = @rand(1, 10);
                $n2 = @rand(1, 10);
                $_SESSION['answer'] = $n1+$n2;
            ?>
            <p><? if ($error == true) echo "An incorrect answer was provided. Please try again.<br />"; ?>
            Please verify your account by answering the following question.</p>
            <form id="verify" action="<?=$url;?>verify/<?=$_GET['v'];?>/" method="post">
                <div>
                    <label for="answer"><?=($n1).'+'.($n2).'=';?></label>
                    <input type="text" name="answer" id="answer" />
                </div>
                <div>
                    <input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" />
                </div>
            </form>
        </div>

But this is also done after the user registers, gets an email verification link then they are prompted with this.