Shoutbox

[split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed (/showthread.php?tid=93893)

RE: Solution to problems installing Msg Plus! Live- READ BEFORE POSTING by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 04:03 PM

hey all i just got a new laptop and i have downloaded wlm and msgplus but i cant get wlm to work when msg plus is installed. if i uninstall msgplus wlm works. i dont have any of the confilicting programs on my computer any suggestions on what to do? i've been using msgplus for years without a problem.

RE: Solution to problems installing Msg Plus! Live- READ BEFORE POSTING by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by surfguy17
hey all i just got a new laptop and i have downloaded wlm and msgplus but i cant get wlm to work when msg plus is installed. if i uninstall msgplus wlm works. i dont have any of the confilicting programs on my computer any suggestions on what to do? i've been using msgplus for years without a problem.

What happens when you try to use WLM?

Do you get any error codes or any messages?
RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 06:39 PM

nope nothing it just wont boot up at all and then as soon as i uninstall plus it works.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 09:02 PM

Do you have any Messenger Plus! Live skins installed?  A broken skin can cause Messenger to not load at all.

When you try to load Windows Live Messenger, if you look in task manager, does the process "msnmsgr.exe" show up?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 09:24 PM

no i have no skins and yes it does

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 09:30 PM

What operating system are you using?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 10:03 PM

vista 64bit

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 10:11 PM

Does the icon show up in the system tray (the bottom right hand corner of the screen by the clock) at all?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 10:16 PM

no it doesnt

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 10:33 PM

I take it you've tried re-starting the computer and trying to open it again?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 10:42 PM

numerous times

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by billyy on 02-19-2010 at 10:58 PM

Thats funny, i have had exactly the same problem on my laptop O_o
I just can't remember how i fixed it [Image: undecided.gif]
Ill let you know if i remember but you shouldn't count on that realy *-)

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-19-2010 at 11:23 PM

Have you tried a complete un-install of both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, then re-installing both?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-19-2010 at 11:58 PM

yes i have. again numerous times hehe

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by CookieRevised on 02-20-2010 at 12:04 AM

In case you have Messenger starting up when you boot your computer, thus when Windows loads, try to disable that option in Messenger: Options > Signing in > Start WLM when you login to Windows.

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
If he can't load WLM with Plus! installed then he won't be able to do that
of course he first needs to disable Plus!.
RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-20-2010 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In case you have Messenger starting up when you boot your computer, thus when Windows loads, try to disable that option in Messenger: Options > Signing in > Start WLM when you login to Windows.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by albert on 02-20-2010 at 12:12 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Then uninstall plus, tick it off, and then re-install?

My advice is to uninstall both software, use something like ccleaner or norton utilities to clean your registry keys and then re-install both.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-20-2010 at 03:30 AM

i dont have it starting when windows starts and if it didnt work when i first got the computer im wondering how cleaning the registry would work if i havent really done any changes to it.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by albert on 02-20-2010 at 04:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by surfguy17
i dont have it starting when windows starts and if it didnt work when i first got the computer im wondering how cleaning the registry would work if i havent really done any changes to it.

if you're reffering to the fact that a brand new pc comes clean, you might be totally mistaken, most of them come with a lot of pre-loaded software that can interact and cause problem with other software (take the google bar on toshiba laptop by example).

What we're suggesting is basically to help you out, it is the steps that we would each take in your situation. Clearing the registry and re-installing the latest version is the first thing I'd do, then I'd verify the task manager to see if it's running (the fact that you don't see it doesn't mean it's not running).
RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-20-2010 at 04:52 AM

what happened was my hard drive got defective so i sent it to acer and got a new one put in but i lost everything on there but wlm and msg plus was working on there before the drive went bad. so when i got the new drive i deleted the same pre installed stuff i deleted the first time and wlm was the first thing i wanted to install which worked then wen i downloaded plus thats when it didnt work. i had checked the task manager and it showed wlm was rinning. i'll try doing the registry thing and let u kno what happens

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-20-2010 at 06:03 AM

k i just tried it and it didnt work. removed wlm and plus, used ccleaner for registry, restarted computer, downloaded wlm and plus, restarted computer and tried starting it.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-20-2010 at 11:06 PM

It may be that there's some incompatible software that we don't yet know about.

Can you post some screenshots of your Programs & Features so that we can have a look through and see if there's something that might be conflicting?

Also, please refrain from making multiple posts in a row without another person having replied.  This is against the forum rules.  Instead use the "Edit" button to add more information to your last post

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-21-2010 at 12:18 AM

sorry about that. heres the screenshot. all the acer stuff i had on there the first time as well.

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 12:31 AM

Is it possible that McAfee Security Centre blocks some aspect of Messenger Plus! Live.....like it sees the dll as a virus so prevents WLM from starting when it's hooked in?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by albert on 02-21-2010 at 01:10 AM

quote:
Is it possible that McAfee Security Centre blocks some aspect of Messenger Plus! Live.....like it sees the dll as a virus so prevents WLM from starting when it's hooked in?
I was actually thinking about that.
Try disabling the anti-virus.
RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-21-2010 at 01:15 AM

i'll try checking it but the weird thing is i have it on my old laptop and plus is working in it

UPDATE: ok sumhow i got it to work i got the same settings as my old laptop n it started working again. i guess it was a prob with mcafee

thanks for the help

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 01:44 AM

Was it settings in McAfee Security Centre that you had to change?

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by surfguy17 on 02-21-2010 at 02:35 AM

yes it was i just deleted the applications like firewall, anti spam n wht not n it worked

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 02:37 AM

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know :)

RE: [split] wlm doesn't work with plus! installed by albert on 02-21-2010 at 01:41 PM

Out of curiosity, did you have the sponsor installed?