Shoutbox

Name this socket - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Name this socket (/showthread.php?tid=93910)

Name this socket by Jarrod on 02-21-2010 at 01:54 AM

so I moved into a new apartment
and I found a wall plate with these two connectors protruding from it,
I know what the top two are, but what on earth are the bottom two sticky outie things for?
[Image: attachment.php?pid=988307]

edit : I'm under the impression they're f connectors but still what are they for?

RE: Name this socket by prashker on 02-21-2010 at 01:57 AM

Cable TV or Cable Internet?

RE: Name this socket by Jarrod on 02-21-2010 at 02:00 AM

there are no cable internet providers in this part of Australia, tv possibly that that is normal, both of them?

RE: Name this socket by prashker on 02-21-2010 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
there are no cable internet providers in this part of Australia, tv possibly that that is normal, both of them?

Well 2 sockets side by side, who knows :p
RE: Name this socket by toddy on 02-21-2010 at 02:29 AM

sky/satellite dish also use that type of connection

2nd one is possibly for multi room. i.e. its an out connection that goes to another faceplate in the apartment

RE: Name this socket by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
tv possibly that that is normal, both of them?
Around here it's fairly usual to see two cable connections next to eachother. Usually one male and one female. One intended for the, the other for radio. At least that's the old and traditional way of looking at it. The truth is they both carry the same signal and you can connect whatever you want to both... But the upper left one looks more like what I'm used to for cable tv/radio/internet.
RE: Name this socket by MeEtc on 02-21-2010 at 04:02 AM

As mentioned above, the two on the bottom here in north america is primarily for connecting a TV to it. What is the connector on the top left? this one is foreign to me

RE: Name this socket by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 04:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
What is the connector on the top left?
Looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_169-2 to me. Also see my post above. Basically the same thing, but different connector.
RE: Name this socket by vaccination on 02-21-2010 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_169-2 to me. Also see my post above. Basically the same thing, but different connector.
Yup, we just refer to that generally as a coax connector [or at least, around here people do]
RE: Name this socket by Menthix on 02-21-2010 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
we just refer to that generally as a coax connector [or at least, around here people do]
Same, but technically those F Connectors are coax too. Gotta have something to tell them apart in this case :).
RE: Name this socket by djdannyp on 02-21-2010 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:

Yeah, the top left one is definitely a TV aerial connector, unmistakeable
RE: Name this socket by CookieRevised on 02-21-2010 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Yeah, the top left one is definitely a TV aerial connector, unmistakeable
which both the bottom two can be too. All three connectors are of the same 'type', they all offer a signal transmitted over a (probably 75ohm impedance) coaxial wire.

The difference is in the connectors. The top left is a push-on type, while the bottom two are threaded.

What the signal is, extremely highly depends on what those internal cables are connected to. They can offer anything from UHF TV signal, radio, video, antenna to whatever else which can use a 75ohm single coaxial wire. To only way to find out for sure is to follow the cable and look where it goes... and hoping something is labelled. They might as well all be directly connected to eachother behind the socket plate (although I doubt that).

Bottom line is that you can't judge from those connectors what the signal is.
RE: Name this socket by MeEtc on 02-21-2010 at 07:22 PM

If you're renting, why don't you just ask the landlord what each is for?

RE: Name this socket by ryxdp on 02-23-2010 at 10:50 AM

That looks like a BNC connector to me.

I've got one of them, it says Telstra on it but it's being used for digital TV. It needs a power booster cause the signal around here isn't too good, and a BNC-to-TV aerial convertor so it can plug into the TV.