Shoutbox

Conversation Windows not appearing? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Conversation Windows not appearing? (/showthread.php?tid=93923)

Conversation Windows not appearing? by Champ2002 on 02-22-2010 at 03:45 AM

Hello,

Im having a big problem with my Windows Live Messanger. I recently installed the new Windows 7 on my computer (about 3 - 4 weeks ago) and have had no problems with WLM. About a week ago while on MSN I wasn't able to click on my contacts and have the coversation screen pop up.

With the new windows 7 it shows the MSN icon along the bottom bar, if you leave the mouse on the icon for a second another bar type thing pops up that shows MSN and my contacts but I am not able to click on their conversations and have them pop up.

I can click on it and actually type things because I can see that I have typed something but it just wont pop up!

Here is a picture to attempt to show you. Like I said my actual WLM screen (far left) will pop up when I click on it, but when I click on any of my contacts screens they wont pop up. Literally WLM is useless to me right now. HELP!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/SilverWishes/Picture12.png

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Beerxulf on 02-22-2010 at 03:58 AM

weird, have you tried unlocking the task bar and moving it around a bit?  sometimes that helps get things going.

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by djdannyp on 02-22-2010 at 10:28 AM

Do you have Messenger pinned to the Taskbar?

Is it running in compatability mode?

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Champ2002 on 02-22-2010 at 03:13 PM

Im really not 100% how to know if it is running compatablility mode. No I double checked. Its no pinned.

Now Im having a problem with the WLM screen itself. When I want to pop up any other screen (example Internet Explorer) I actually have to close my WLM screen so I can see things behind it. I hope you understand how Im explaining it lol.

I thought I should let you know too that when my fiance is on his WLM he has no problems. Same computer, everything is the same but he is signing in under his own WLM account.

So I find it very odd.... I've tried looking under my own user settings to see if i had changed something but nothing has been changed.

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by djdannyp on 02-22-2010 at 04:25 PM

Which account is signed in shouldn't alter anything, the settings of WLM don't actually vary depending on who is signed in.

Do you have any add-ons for Windows Live Messenger?  Or anything to alter the appearance of Windows itself?  Any themes?

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Champ2002 on 02-22-2010 at 07:46 PM

Its giving me even more problems. WLM just wont even show up anymore when I click on it. How can I uninstall it? Im in Control Panel, Programs and Uninstall but its not on the list of programs.

Im going to just start from scratch.

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Chrissy on 02-22-2010 at 07:54 PM

To check if the program is in compatibility to mode, Right Click the Windows Live Messenger Shortcut, Click 'Properties' then under the 'Compatibility' tab look for a check box saying; run this program under....

See what is says.

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by djdannyp on 02-22-2010 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Champ2002
Its giving me even more problems. WLM just wont even show up anymore when I click on it. How can I uninstall it? Im in Control Panel, Programs and Uninstall but its not on the list of programs.

It's under "Windows Live Essentials" in Programs & Features.  You can uninstall it from there and then re-download from here
RE: RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by pollolibredegrasa on 02-22-2010 at 07:57 PM

quote:

Now Im having a problem with the WLM screen itself. When I want to pop up any other screen (example Internet Explorer) I actually have to close my WLM screen so I can see things behind it. I hope you understand how Im explaining it lol.

Sounds like you have it set to "always on top". To turn it off, on the contact list click the "show menu" button, then click tools and uncheck "always on top".

quote:

It's listed as part of "Windows Live Essentials", so this is what you need to choose under Uninstall.
RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Champ2002 on 02-22-2010 at 09:35 PM

Thank you so much for the help. I will let you know if it worked.

RE: Conversation Windows not appearing? by Champ2002 on 02-22-2010 at 11:00 PM

Still having the same problem. I cannot open the WLM window to go to my contacts list. Urgh, even uninstalling it didn't help.