Shoutbox

Removed conversations - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Removed conversations (/showthread.php?tid=93941)

Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-23-2010 at 09:13 PM

I've saved the conversations with one of my partners, and somehow removed from the pc. I really need them! Can i find somewhere?

RE: Removed conversations by Chris4 on 02-23-2010 at 09:15 PM

Can you tell us the method you used to 'save' the conversation?

Was it with the built-in Message History or Plus!'s Chat Log?

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-23-2010 at 09:21 PM

the built-in message history. I needed to reinstall the system, and saved to a cd, then i copied to the pc, but then i need reinstall again (xp->win7, win7->xp) and it was removed from the pc, but i had on the cd (i think still is), but i cannot find the cd

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-23-2010 at 09:27 PM

If you have reformatted and re-installed then the files won't be anywhere on your computer anymore.

Your only way of recovering them is to find the CD.

Out of interest, why did you go back from Windows 7 to XP?

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-23-2010 at 09:27 PM

It's from 13th December 2008 to 18th February 2010 and i so need it, i'll be killed, if i don't have :D (almost)

I would need many new things to my pc, if i wanted to use win7, and my wallett is empty :D

And i know that it's not on my computer, but I hope, somewhere i could find it, although i saw that microsoft doesn't make any copies of it. Somewhere there have to be (I wish I'm right:D)

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-23-2010 at 10:25 PM

As I said, there is no way to get them without finding the CD.  They aren't on your computer anywhere, nor do they get stored online.  The only place they exist now is on that CD, unless the contact you had the conversations with logged them too.

What extra would you need to buy in order to be able to use Windows 7?

Also, please refrain from making consecutive posts without anyone else having posted in between (known as double posting), as it is against the forum rules.  Instead, use the "Edit" button to add information to your last post

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 02:50 PM

:( thanks... almost everything... videocard, ram, processor, if i remember well...

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 03:35 PM

How old is the computer?

I can't imagine that the hardware is THAT out of date that it can't cope with Windows 7.

Did it just run slowly, or did Windows 7 refuse to install?

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 03:41 PM

Well, about 3 yrs old. Almost kindergarten age... It needs better of everything (win7), and an important program didn't run with it, it wasn't meet the system requirements to win7, or another was just very slow

Hey! What's up, if I wrote to sb that for example I'll kill the president, or i don't know... So i don't believe that the conversations aren't on sb... Sb has these... Oh! I almost forgot... Simply i couldn't find an e-mail adress of microsoft... Do u have it?
RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 04:43 PM

It might be worth trying the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, especially as you've spent out on Win 7.  I can't imagine that a 3 year old computer would struggle that badly.

Could you post the results on here?

As for your other post, what is Sb?

The content of instant messaging conversations isn't stored anywhere centrally.  you can write whatever you want in a conversation, you can threaten to kill whoever you want, the only people that will see it are you and the person you're sending it to....and it will only be saved if either of those people are saving logs.  Microsoft will not have your personal chatlogs, like I said, you have only two ways of getting them back: either find the CD that you saved them on, or if the other person logged them you can get them back that way.

Also, as I said before, please don't double post, use the 'edit' button instead.

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 04:55 PM

I see... ok. sb is somebody :D sorry. i didn't try. Now I won't install it, but when i do, i will. It's a pity, because the cd has disappeared... I found a Chemics book below my bed, but that cd isn't anywhere... It would be very important, but i haven't been foundin' it for weeks... I almost cried, when i discovered that the conversations aren't on the computer :D... additionally it was so much that it was in 3 files...

RE: Removed conversations by Chrissy on 02-24-2010 at 05:31 PM

Use recovery software.

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 05:34 PM

What is that, and how will it help me?

RE: Removed conversations by Chrissy on 02-24-2010 at 05:36 PM

It recovers deleted files. It's how the authorities catch paedophiles (like myself).

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 05:41 PM

woow! thanks and i don't understand... on which side r u?:D

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
It recovers deleted files. It's how the authorities catch paedophiles (like myself).

Sorry, but that isn't a helpful, or practical suggestion.

Most recovery software is expensive and unreliable.  There are no good free bits of recovery software.  The kinds that the police use are able to extract the odd file, enough for a conviction, but these are expensive pieces of software and probably not commercially available.  Any free alternatives will either fail, or will make you pay to recover the files (which could be false promises).

Sorry to be blunt, but I have told you what your two options are, if you can't do either of those then you just have to accept that the files are lost..and set up a back-up solution on your computer to prevent it happening in the future.

As sad as it is data loss is the main precursor to people setting up a backup.  I never used to backup until many, many years ago I got a virus and lost everything on my hard drive..since then I've been very careful with backups.

As far as Windows 7, run the Upgrade Advisor that I linked you to and post the results here and we might be able to suggest what you can do
RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 06:07 PM

thank you so much

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bence18965
ok... i can't find a good one, or i'm just too impatient... would u be so nice, and  take me to msn? address removed is my adress

As I said, you won't find a good one

It's also not a good idea to post your address on a public forum as spam-bots that trawl the internet will be able to use it and send you junk messages.

All I can really help you with now is Windows 7 on your computer.

If you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and post a screenshot of the results here then I can help you make the most of the ~£50 you've spent :)
RE: Removed conversations by vaccination on 02-24-2010 at 06:24 PM

Uhm, excuse me but, why the fuck are you insisting he upgrades to Windows 7 - especially after he's explicitly stated many very good reasons not to upgrade (and there being no legitimate reason to upgrade) - when it isn't going to help in the slightest with his problem of lost data. This thread should have ended after stating there was no way of recovering the data (reliably) without finding those CDs.

RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 06:29 PM

Yes, that's it. Thank you, guys!

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Uhm, excuse me but, why the fuck are you insisting he upgrades to Windows 7 - especially after he's explicitly stated many very good reasons not to upgrade (and there being no legitimate reason to upgrade) - when it isn't going to help in the slightest with his problem of lost data. This thread should have ended after stating there was no way of recovering the data (reliably) without finding those CDs.

It's called providing support?

When they've bought something that they obviously want to use, there might be a way to help them to use it that they don't realise.

I'm not pretending it's going to help with the lost data, I'm just trying to provide a solution to a problem, no need to be so rude about it.
RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 07:05 PM

ok guys, be calm, thank you, u r so nice, the basic problem was the message log, i was given the answer.

RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bence18965
ok guys, be calm, thank you, u r so nice, the basic problem was the message log, i was given the answer.

Okay, no worries, just thought I'd try to help you with the other problem as I'm guessing you didn't want the money to be wasted.  The support will still be here if you decide you want it at a later date (Y)
RE: Removed conversations by Bence18965 on 02-24-2010 at 07:34 PM

Thank u very much.

RE: Removed conversations by vaccination on 02-24-2010 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

It's called proving support?

When they've bought something that they obviously want to use, there might be a way to help them to use it that they don't realise.

I'm not pretending it's going to help with the lost data, I'm just trying to provide a solution to a problem, no need to be so rude about it.
He doesn't have a problem with software not working, his software works perfectly fine. His software would only break if he followed your "advice" and "upgraded" to Windows 7.

providing*, btw.
RE: Removed conversations by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 07:40 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

It's called proving support?

He doesn't have a problem with software not working, his software works perfectly fine. His software would only break if he followed your "advice" and "upgraded" to Windows 7.

providing*, btw.

He was actually saying that the hardware was a problem.....which I find hard to believe of a 3 year old computer.  I just wanted to see what the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor said as there might be an easy way around it.