Shoutbox

Thread starter tag - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Thread starter tag (/showthread.php?tid=93949)

Thread starter tag by warmth on 02-24-2010 at 04:11 PM

Could be possible to add a tag to thread starter in the active thread but others? it's very nice in long threads to know who started the discussion without having to go to the first post... :$

RE: Thread starter tag by matty on 02-24-2010 at 04:47 PM

Maybe in this header...

Messenger Plus! Live Forums » General » Forum & Website » warmth » Thread starter tag

RE: Thread starter tag by Felu on 02-24-2010 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Maybe in this header...

Messenger Plus! Live Forums » General » Forum & Website » warmth » Thread starter tag
I think warmth meant adding a "Original Poster" tag( like the "Beta Tester" tag) to all the OP's reply in the thread. You wouldn't have to scroll all the way up the the page and would know which post is by the OP when you see it.
RE: Thread starter tag by matty on 02-24-2010 at 05:23 PM

I don't like that... That part will get too crowded and people are used to seeing either a tester or translator sticker not an original poster sticker. I feel people will ignore it...

What if it was shown in brackets in the page title for instance "Messenger Plus! Live Forums - Thread starter tag (warmth)"

RE: Thread starter tag by djdannyp on 02-24-2010 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
What if it was shown in brackets in the page title for instance "Messenger Plus! Live Forums - Thread starter tag (warmth)"

Definitely a good suggestion.

@Felu, I don't think that's what he meant...and I think he just means to see who started the thread.....what if they haven't replied on the page you're currently on?  Then you still won't know who started the thread ;)
RE: Thread starter tag by andrey on 02-24-2010 at 09:48 PM

heh, i had the same idea some time ago and wrote this userscript to add "(OP)" to the OP's nick on each post.

edit: just noticed that it doesn't work if you use "threaded view" (one post per page with links to other posts beneath (example) - it'll just add "OP" to the name even though it's not the OP), but who uses that anyway :zippy:

edit 2: small fix: wrong OP mark when you use a link to a specific post

edit 3: now works with threaded view. *click*

RE: Thread starter tag by Chris4 on 02-24-2010 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
heh, i had the same idea some time ago and wrote this userscript to add "(OP)" to the OP's nick on each post.
I like. Thanks. :happy:
RE: Thread starter tag by Spunky on 02-24-2010 at 10:37 PM

quote:

edit: just noticed that it doesn't work if you use "threaded view" (one post per page with links to other posts beneath (example) - it'll just add "OP" to the name even though it's not the OP), but who uses that anyway :zippy:

See, that 's why I love Chrome for allowing userscripts without needing another extension :p

Oh, and why I love you of course :p
RE: RE: Thread starter tag by Chris4 on 02-25-2010 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
See, that 's why I love Chrome for allowing userscripts without needing another extension :p
Meh. Surely it's better to have it optional like Firefox?

Only difference is that Chrome install is ~143kb bigger because it's built-in, whereas Firefox's isn't.
RE: Thread starter tag by vaccination on 02-25-2010 at 12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:

Only difference is that Chrome install is ~143kb bigger because it's built-in, whereas Firefox's isn't.
It is optional, you don't have to install any scripts. [I know, you meant the scripts functionality, but why on Earth would you suggest to remove functionality...]
RE: Thread starter tag by warmth on 02-25-2010 at 01:08 AM

Btw I forgot to tell you that I borrow the idea from new MS forums :P

RE: Thread starter tag by Chris4 on 02-25-2010 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:

It is optional, you don't have to install any scripts. [I know, you meant the scripts functionality, but why on Earth would you suggest to remove functionality...]
Yeah, I was referring to the userscript feature built into Chrome.

I don't think it's worthy to "love Chrome" because it's built-in, when it's perfectly fine as an optional feature like in Firefox.
RE: Thread starter tag by lizard.boy on 02-25-2010 at 02:24 AM

Just throwing this out there, but there are some forums where the background of the OP's posts are a slightly different color than the rest. This may be a better solution than adding more text to the left column.

RE: Thread starter tag by albert on 02-25-2010 at 02:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
Just throwing this out there, but there are some forums where the background of the OP's posts are a slightly different color than the rest. This may be a better solution than adding more text to the left column.

I like the idea.
RE: Thread starter tag by Hank on 02-25-2010 at 02:38 AM

i cant see DZ coding this into the forum, its to much work :refuck:

RE: Thread starter tag by warmth on 02-25-2010 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

I like the idea.
* warmth likes it!
RE: Thread starter tag by andrey on 02-25-2010 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
why code it when you can achieve the same with a few lines in a userjs :p

btw: here is a modified version of my script which changes the background color, like lizardboy suggested *click*

and i updated the one i posted earlier, shouldn't need any more updates now :p
RE: Thread starter tag by NanaFreak on 02-25-2010 at 03:57 AM

I would prefer what the Whirlpool forums do... and just add a faint "O.P." in the top right of the post... so that it isnt in your face, but if you wanted to know who was the OP, its there for you to know [=

and example of this is here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1269051

the 1st, 3rd and 6th posts are the OP... and its just a subtle way of showing it [=

RE: Thread starter tag by lizard.boy on 02-25-2010 at 04:54 AM

quote:

btw: here is a modified version of my script which changes the background color, like lizardboy suggested *click*

Oh beautiful! I'm gonna leave this one enabled for sure. Good color too.
RE: RE: Thread starter tag by WDZ on 02-25-2010 at 05:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
I would prefer what the Whirlpool forums do... and just add a faint "O.P." in the top right of the post... so that it isnt in your face, but if you wanted to know who was the OP, its there for you to know [=

and example of this is here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1269051

the 1st, 3rd and 6th posts are the OP... and its just a subtle way of showing it [=
eeeexcellent... added. :p

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
:XP:
RE: Thread starter tag by NanaFreak on 02-25-2010 at 05:17 AM

nice work DZ [=

RE: Thread starter tag by Chris4 on 02-25-2010 at 05:43 AM

Awesome. :grin:

RE: Thread starter tag by Menthix on 02-25-2010 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
ust add a faint "O.P." in the top right of the post... so that it isnt in your face, but if you wanted to know who was the OP, its there for you to know [=
Am I the only one who think that adds no usefull info? The first post is the OP, by the time you scroll back far enough to see the O.P. text you figured out that's the first post already.
RE: Thread starter tag by djdannyp on 02-25-2010 at 10:09 AM

That's what I figured.  By the time you've scrolled up to look for a faint tag that may or may not be there on any given page of a thread, you might as well have just clicked on "First"

It was a much more constructive suggestion to have it in brackets after the thread title.

RE: Thread starter tag by WDZ on 02-25-2010 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Am I the only one who think that adds no usefull info? The first post is the OP, by the time you scroll back far enough to see the O.P. text you figured out that's the first post already.
Obviously it's not useful in the first post (it's still displayed just for consistency/simplicity), but what about replies?

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
It was a much more constructive suggestion to have it in brackets after the thread title.
I don't think it would be clear what the thing in brackets is (or whether it's actually part of the subject)... =p
RE: Thread starter tag by Menthix on 02-25-2010 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Obviously it's not useful in the first post (it's still displayed just for consistency/simplicity), but what about replies?
What about them? I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I don't get it at all.
RE: Thread starter tag by djdannyp on 02-25-2010 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
What about them? I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I don't get it at all.

It's intended to help us see who started the thread, especially when something's 4 or 5 pages into a discussion, by highlighting each of their posts with the "O.P." thing.  My point is though that by the time you've scrolled up looking for an almost invisible tag, you might as well have just clicked "First" at the bottom to be taken to the first post to see who started it, as it'd be much quicker.

The whole point of it was to avoid having to go back to the first post, so it's a time saving issue?  In which case the indicator needs to be clearer and needs to be always visible, not just visible on the pages on which the OP has replied?

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I don't think it would be clear what the thing in brackets is (or whether it's actually part of the subject)... =p

Perhaps the bracket thing isn't the best idea....but there has to be some way of making it more obvious and having it show up regardless of the OP having made replies?
RE: RE: Thread starter tag by warmth on 02-25-2010 at 02:49 PM

quote:

and i updated the one i posted earlier, shouldn't need any more updates now :p
Great :) Using it!

Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
eeeexcellent... added. :p
thanks WDZ :)

btw my initial idea was something like http://www.sevenforums.com uses! but I think this is enough :P

Maybe a good suggestion is include this changes in the help section...
RE: Thread starter tag by Menthix on 02-25-2010 at 06:49 PM

quote:
by highlighting each of their posts with the "O.P." thing.
Ah, didn't notice each of the posts by the user who did the OP was highlighted. That does make it useful. But I agree, more noticeable without getting annoying would be nice.
RE: Thread starter tag by Veggie on 02-26-2010 at 05:26 PM

can someone post a version of the background colour changer script, that detects the "O.P." instead of making another request?
Cheers

RE: RE: Thread starter tag by CookieRevised on 02-26-2010 at 08:34 PM

quote:
It's intended to help us see who started the thread, especially when something's 4 or 5 pages into a discussion, by highlighting each of their posts with the "O.P." thing.
in such long threads it usually doesn't matter at all who started the thread in the first place as such threads are usually not directed towards the OP himself but are about a (general) _subject_ where the OP doesn't matter.

For shorter threads you can very quickly see who is the OP by pressing a few times on pgup or whatever.
And even in shorter threads, the OP doesn't matter, only the subject. Take this one page thread for example, who cares if warmth was the OP (no offense), the important thing is the subject...

But as long as it doesn't change anything fundamental, and is just some non-intrusive eye-candy, I don't really care, I just completely fail to see any use for it... :p
RE: Thread starter tag by warmth on 02-26-2010 at 10:43 PM

Don't worry cookie... :P maybe is a good way to let people know that you if the thread is good who started it to give him some credit... don't know... I do preffer having more info that lack of...