Shoutbox

UEFA Champions League 09/10 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: UEFA Champions League 09/10 (/showthread.php?tid=93957)

UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 02-25-2010 at 03:21 PM

Haven't seen Basilis post this thread yet so I thought I'd post it, because we usually have a fairly good discussion.

Here's what happened in the Group stages for those who aren't following

[Image: championleague.png]

And here's the results of the 1st leg of the last 16:

Lyon - Real Madrid [1-0]
AC Milan - Manchester United [2-3]
Bayern Munich - Fiorentina [2-1]
Porto - Arsenal [2-1]
Stuttgart - Barcelona [1-1]
Olympiacos - Bordeaux [0-1]
CSKA Moskva - Sevilla [1-1]
Inter Milian - Chelsea [2-1]

So who do you think will win?

RE: UEFA Champion League 09/10 by Chris4 on 02-25-2010 at 03:43 PM

I hope Chelsea will do better against Inter Milan at Stamford Bridge.

But with Cech and Ashley Cole out, they're not in the best of form.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 02-25-2010 at 04:09 PM

Lyon - Real Madrid [1-0]
Porto - Arsenal [2-1]
Inter Milan - Chelsea [2-1]

My tips are there in bold.  Was an epic game last night, knowing Jose I reckon he'll go for an early goal at the Bridge to leave Chelsea needing 3, effectively killing the tie.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by John Anderton on 02-25-2010 at 04:16 PM

United is going to win this round for sure. I hope they win the title but like I said at the beginning of the season, I think they'll lose in the semis but I think they'll win the EPL.
I stand by what I said :) I still think Chelsea will screw up (hopefully United will screw up less.. :P Horrible at consistency at the moment).
As for the champions league, I hope we reach the finals.. but I have a feeling that we'll lose in the semis, just like every other year.

On a side note, I hope an English team makes it to the final this year. It would be the 6th straight year that this would happen, a new record. The would beat the earlier English record when Liverpool won 3 consecutive titles followed by another club (Conventry City if memory serves correct) lost once and won the second one.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Lyon - Real Madrid [1-0]
Porto - Arsenal [2-1]
Inter Milan - Chelsea [2-1]
I'm not so sure about Arsenal. I hope Barca lose (A) (but they won't :() I kinda agree with everything else. I think Inter should snatch this one but if Chelsea score early, I'd pick them for the win. :)
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 02-25-2010 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

I'm not so sure about Arsenal.

Arsenal will win, they should of won the first leg or at the very least got a draw, besides the next leg is at the Emirates. I'm not saying it's going to be easy because it won't, but we should have a handful of 1st teamers back for this leg

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Chris4 on 02-25-2010 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Was an epic game last night, knowing Jose I reckon he'll go for an early goal at the Bridge to leave Chelsea needing 3, effectively killing the tie.
I'm confident Chelsea can win 1-0 to knock them out. :happy:
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 02-25-2010 at 06:38 PM

quote:
On a side note, I hope an English team makes it to the final this year. It would be the 6th straight year that this would happen, a new record. The would beat the earlier English record when Liverpool won 3 consecutive titles followed by another club (Conventry City if memory serves correct) lost once and won the second one.

Nottingham Forest ;)  Liverpool only won 2 in a row as well.  Liverpool twice, Forest twice, Liverpool again, then Aston Villa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup...ons_League_winners

We hold the honours of the longest winning (6) and losing (4) streaks of any country, haha

RE: RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Chris4 on 02-26-2010 at 02:44 AM

quote:
quote:

Nottingham Forest ;)  Liverpool only won 2 in a row as well.  Liverpool twice, Forest twice, Liverpool again, then Aston Villa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup...ons_League_winners

We hold the honours of the longest winning (6) and losing (4) streaks of any country, haha

It's weird how out of the 6 Champions League finals that English teams won, 5 of them were 1-0.

[Image: 1nil.png]

Then even after that it continued with Hamburg and Juventus doing the same. :P
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Chrono on 02-26-2010 at 02:47 AM

i dont see what's so weird about it :P

im betting for real madrid this season 8-)

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Chris4 on 02-26-2010 at 02:54 AM

6 Champions League finals 1-0 in a row seems unusual, that's all. :P

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 02-26-2010 at 05:48 PM

I think the 1st leg of the matches was a total disgrace in terms of referees. Fiorentina lost due to an offside goal, Arsenal lost due to a strange goal. Of course, the worst came in Olympiacos's match.

The referee, first saw a foul that never happened and instead of giving a throw in which is what it was, he gave Bordeaux a foul that then led to the only goal of the match. But he didn't stop there. In the final minute of the game, a French defender challenged our forward and it was a penalty. Nevertheless, we scored the goal with a header just after the challenge took place. The referee though said the goal does not count because he thought (or he just didn't want us to equalise) there was a foul done by our forward.

I am really pissed off because Olympiacos had the chance to progress to the quarter finals and he deserved to. We had 9 shots on target while the French had 2, one of them being their goal. But the referee had other thoughts, and now we need to score at least 2 goals in France to qualify.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Eddie on 02-26-2010 at 06:37 PM

I haven't really been following the UCL apart from Chelsea. I have to say that I felt Chelsea deserved a draw against Milan and we had a blatantly obvious penalty not awarded to us. I however think we will go to the Bridge and win convincingly if Terry can put issues aside and Anelka can figure out the definition of TEAM.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 02-26-2010 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I think the 1st leg of the matches was a total disgrace in terms of referees. Fiorentina lost due to an offside goal, Arsenal lost due to a strange goal. Of course, the worst came in Olympiacos's match.

The referee, first saw a foul that never happened and instead of giving a throw in which is what it was, he gave Bordeaux a foul that then led to the only goal of the match. But he didn't stop there. In the final minute of the game, a French defender challenged our forward and it was a penalty. Nevertheless, we scored the goal with a header just after the challenge took place. The referee though said the goal does not count because he thought (or he just didn't want us to equalise) there was a foul done by our forward.

I am really pissed off because Olympiacos had the chance to progress to the quarter finals and he deserved to. We had 9 shots on target while the French had 2, one of them being their goal. But the referee had other thoughts, and now we need to score at least 2 goals in France to qualify.

Yeah, there has certainly been a lot of bad refereeing in the first round, but it's all part of the game, it's just how the teams bounce back now.
Olympiacos has a great chance, though, especially if they play like they did in the first leg. I'd like to see them do well.
I think Chelsea will progress too, but just by a scrape.
Manchester United should progress with the result they had at Milan.
Liverpoo... oh wait never mind
Arsenal should beat Porto at home comfortably.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 02-26-2010 at 11:49 PM

Barcelona a.k.a unstoppable will get it.I'll copy this post after final. :)

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 02-26-2010 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaPLeX
Barcelona has been pretty poor this year, no where near as good as last year, I don't think they'll win it.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 02-28-2010 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Justin
quote:
Barcelona has been pretty poor this year, no where near as good as last year, I don't think they'll win it.

Yes they not playin as well as last year but "Poor Barça" still 10 times better then others.Bold named teams are my favorite for cup.But they havent enough potential for beat against Barcelona.

AC Milan
Arsenal
Barcelona
Bordeaux
Chelsea
CSKA Moskva
Inter Milan
Lyon
Olympiacos
Porto
Real Madrid
Sevilla
Stuttgart
Bayern Munich
Manchester United
Fiorentina

I think Inter plays against Chelsea.So it shows they will be 4 candidate for the cup at next round.Thats my opinion.We will see.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 02-28-2010 at 11:30 PM

quote:

Yes they not playin as well as last year but "Poor Barça" still 10 times better then others.

Barcelona aren't THAT good, a good team yes,  best team in the World? No.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 03-01-2010 at 11:59 AM

quote:
quote:

Yes they not playin as well as last year but "Poor Barça" still 10 times better then others.

which team is best in the world? arsenal ? fenerbahce ? no.. :D
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-01-2010 at 12:44 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't say any team is the 'best in the World' because any team can beat another team.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 03-01-2010 at 02:28 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't say any team is the 'best in the World' because any team can beat another team.

Barcelona 1 - 2 FK Rubin Kazan ;)
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 03-01-2010 at 05:21 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Barcelona 1 - 2 FK Rubin Kazan ;)

whats the point? Its football any team can beat with another one.Im not speakin about single games.Wack ass turk team besiktas won against man utd in old trafford this year?So besiktas is better than man utd uh :) ? Im neither español nor barcelona fan.But honestly im only enjoyin when im watchin barcelona.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 03-01-2010 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Im neither español nor barcelona fan.But honestly im only enjoyin when im watchin barcelona.
This means you haven't watched an Olympiacos game. :D Try to watch the return leg against Bordeaux (of course, the referee must be fair this time).
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-10-2010 at 12:14 PM

Porto out, Fiorentina out

Arsenal won, 5-0 [6-2]
Fiorentina won, 3-2 [4-4] (Bayern went through on the away goal rule)

Another big game tonight, Ronaldinho is going to run rings around Neville. I think Milan will win, but not by enough goals to put them through.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 03-10-2010 at 12:19 PM

quote:
whats the point? Its football any team can beat with another one.Im not speakin about single games.Wack ass turk team besiktas won against man utd in old trafford this year?So besiktas is better than man utd uh :) ? Im neither español nor barcelona fan.But honestly im only enjoyin when im watchin barcelona.

My point was exactly that.....anyone can beat anyone so you can't say there's a "best team in the world" ;)
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by blackjack on 03-10-2010 at 10:23 PM

Sad news for me and Real Madrid supporters....
but we are out of champions again :(

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by toddy on 03-10-2010 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
funny or everyone else at least
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by John Anderton on 03-11-2010 at 01:39 AM

quote:
I knew this would happen despite all the intense spending.. it took Chelsea a couple of seasons to pick up after all the money spent. It takes time to gel and Real's team is never stable. It has great players on bench at times causing them discomfort and them wanting to leave causing further issues to team morale :(

No one's said it yet so I'll say it.. yay United for their performance. :)
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-16-2010 at 12:43 PM

So who do you think will go through tonight?

Oh yeah, I'll update the poll when this round is over.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 03-16-2010 at 05:17 PM

quote:

messi > real madrid fc

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis

This means you haven't watched an Olympiacos game. :D

Im watching basketball games between turk and greek teams(because of euroleague).They are 2 teams i really enjoy to watch

1st is panath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMe2Vyb9E

2nd is aris a.k.a. "Super 3"
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 03-16-2010 at 06:29 PM

Excellent performance by Man Utd last week.....interesting to see what happens for Chelsea tonight....EVERYTHING is point towards an Inter win......No Cech, Mourinho's unbeaten record at Stamford Bridge (and the brilliant mind-games claiming home advantage!)......so knowing football Chelsea will probably win it!

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-17-2010 at 12:35 AM

Chelsea knocked out. Inter Milan through, great game, Inter deserved to win.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by toddy on 03-17-2010 at 03:59 AM

quote:
great game
in your opinion....
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-18-2010 at 01:12 AM

Results of the last 16:
[Image: last16.png]

Also, I updated the poll, so please re-vote!

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by John Anderton on 03-18-2010 at 01:37 AM

Why the new poll? :<
Anyway, I re-voted for United :P Next round should be difficult. A lot of good teams. A lot depends on the draw now :) Does anyone know when it is?

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-18-2010 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Why the new poll? :<
Anyway, I re-voted for United :P Next round should be difficult. A lot of good teams. A lot depends on the draw now :) Does anyone know when it is?

I put a new poll because teams got knocked out, I didn't see the point in having teams there that are no longer in the competition :P

The draw is Friday. I'm not sure what time though, around 12:00 GMT I think.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 03-19-2010 at 02:45 PM

Sorry for the double post.

--------------------

Here is the draw for the Quarter Finals:

1: Olympique Lyonnais v Bordeaux

2: Bayern Munchen v Manchester United

3: Arsenal v Barcelona

4: Inter Milan v PFC CSKA Moskva

Here are the Semi Finals:

1: Winner quarter-final 2 v Winner quarter-final 1

2: Winner quarter-final 4 v Winner quarter-final 3

Final:

Winner semi-final 1 v Winner semi-final 2

--------------------

It's going to be a very exciting Quarter Final.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 03-19-2010 at 03:05 PM

I'm backing Lyon, United, Barca & Inter based on those quarters

Could end up being a repeat of last year's final, though I wouldn't go against Arsenal springing a surprise on Barca

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 03-21-2010 at 09:05 AM

Unfortunately, the referee costed us the win against Bordeaux. The first goal we conceeded came from a foul that did not exist (the same happened in the first match as well) and we were not given a penalty. Then we scored and we needed one more goal. The French could not keep the ball, we lost some chances and in the final minute, we conceeded another goal and it was all over (it may have been an offensive foul if that goal was scored by Olympiacos).

The point is that Platini does not make good to football. He also did not allow Fiorentina to go through by leaving Bayern win with an offside-goal.

Now the last part of the tragedy. Lyon and Bordeaux were drawn together, so now it is sure that one French team will be in the semi-finals. And then there is UEFA continuously talking about how Ligue 1 has improved. Excuse me, but I do not think all these are just a coincidence.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 04-01-2010 at 12:38 AM

Quarter Final Results 1st Leg
Lyon 3-1 Bordeaux
Bayern Munich 2-1 Manchester United
Arsenal 2-2 Barcelona
Inter Milan 1-0 CSKA Moskva

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 04-01-2010 at 05:55 AM

Absolutely amazing game at the Emirates last night!  Just when you thought Arsenal were dead and buried they hit back!  With Puyol & Pique missing for the return it could be a very interesting game....Fabregas will be sorely missed though, such a shame for him too on a personal level missing out on a return to his boyhood club

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 04-01-2010 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Absolutely amazing game at the Emirates last night!  Just when you thought Arsenal were dead and buried they hit back!  With Puyol & Pique missing for the return it could be a very interesting game....Fabregas will be sorely missed though, such a shame for him too on a personal level missing out on a return to his boyhood club

Yeah it really was an amazing game, as soon as the first went, I thought fuck they're going to put 4 or 5 past us. But luckily that wasn't the case and we managed to equalise. The last 20 minutes of the match, I think we were in complete control, Walcott made the difference, Barcelona's defence just couldn't handle him at all. We were lucky in getting the penalty, but I think we would have score anyway, we were in control at that point and kept coming back with attack after attack.

The 2nd leg will be very interesting.
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 04-06-2010 at 08:40 PM

messi enjoyed against arsenal.last 2 step for trophy.go ahead barça.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-07-2010 at 05:30 AM

quote:
messi enjoyed against arsenal.last 2 step for trophy.go ahead barça.

Definately, he was super awesome today
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 04-07-2010 at 09:16 AM

I think the other semi-final will be Bayern Munchen - Lyon.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 04-07-2010 at 10:11 AM

As I posted on my Facebook, there just aren't enough superlatives for Messi.  4 hat-tricks already in 2010 and he made Arsenal look like a team of amateurs.  On that evidence, Argentina have to be big favourites for the World Cup given that it wasn't even a particularly strong Barca team he was playing in.

I'm hoping for Man Utd & Lyon to get through, but it'll be a tall order without Rooney

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 04-07-2010 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, Messi made us look silly, but it was inevitable with so many injuries. Overall they were better than us over both legs and deserved to go through.
I still don't think Barcelona are the best, I think Chelsea are better, they were unlucky to not go through last year.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 04-07-2010 at 12:59 PM

Chelsea just made their 2 worst games of the year with Inter. I think they would win this year's Champions League easily if they had advanced instead of Inter. It would have been nice to see a repeat of last year's semi final, with Chelsea wanting revenge for the 3 penalties not given to them in the 2nd leg against Barcelona.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by John Anderton on 04-09-2010 at 01:52 AM

quote:
I still don't think Barcelona are the best, I think Chelsea are better, they were unlucky to not go through last year.
Last year, absolutely. This year, I have a feeling Barca might steam roll their way through. It would be a serious upset if they lose.

In other news, United lost.. dang :( Can't comment much since I didn't watch the match but conceding 2 goals in 6 mins (what I heard) is bad especially when you're 3-0 up ;(
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Basilis on 04-09-2010 at 09:21 AM

They did not conceed 2 goals in 6 mins. It was 3-1 after the 1st half, then Rafael was sent off in the 2nd half and 15 minutes from time Robben scored the crucial goal for Bayern.

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Justin on 04-28-2010 at 09:15 PM

Barcelona knocked out
Inter won 3-2 agg

Lyon knocked out
Bayern won 4-0 agg

Bayern Munich V Inter Milan is the final

----

quote:

Maybe not...
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by blackjack on 04-28-2010 at 11:45 PM

thank god for that, as a Real Madrid fan, that was my worst nightmare... lol

imagine barcelona playing the finals in Santiago bernabeu :lol:

:bow: Inter, specially Mourinho :bow:

Now, Two ex real madrid players are in the finals... Robben and Sneijder... and both are country mates too :P

im going with inter this time, with Ribery suspension Bayern munich loses a lot of team play IMO

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 04-29-2010 at 06:04 AM

quote:
quote:

Maybe not...

Haha, was just waiting to be able to do that ;)

They couldn't even beat 10 men at home :P
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by RaPLeX on 04-29-2010 at 10:40 AM

quote:

10 men + 1 referee :)

bayern - inter ah worst champions league match ever..
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 04-29-2010 at 12:08 PM

quote:
quote:

10 men + 1 referee :)

bayern - inter ah worst champions league match ever..

Won't be worse than AC-Juve from a few years ago.....no CL final could ever be as bad as that
RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by andrey on 05-22-2010 at 08:53 PM

bleh :chroppy:

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by blackjack on 05-22-2010 at 09:13 PM

Internazionale Milano
Champions League champion :P

:bow: :banana:

http://www.inter.it/aas/news/reader?N=33968&L=en

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by djdannyp on 05-22-2010 at 10:50 PM

Pretty decent final!  Not as good as the Championship play-off final earlier today, but still pretty entertaining....and was glad to see Inter win......gotta love Jose!

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by Chrono on 05-23-2010 at 12:33 AM

it was a good game overall :P

RE: UEFA Champions League 09/10 by John Anderton on 05-23-2010 at 12:34 AM

Considering what I said a couple of hours before the match, I'm pretty happy :)

quote:
Pretty decent final!  Not as good as the Championship play-off final earlier today, but still pretty entertaining....and was glad to see Inter win......gotta love Jose!
The Championship play-off final was pretty cool :-D