Shoutbox

8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile (/showthread.php?tid=93972)

8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by tony on 02-27-2010 at 03:38 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/27/chil.../index.html?hpt=T1

Let's hope our beloved Chromo is okay :(

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by andrey on 02-27-2010 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono in the Shoutbox
[07:35] <Chrono> woah

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chris4 on 02-27-2010 at 03:49 PM

quote:
[09:35] <Chrono> we are used to tremors in this country,so i dídnt mind it when it started (thats when i said woah :p)
[09:39] <Chrono>  but then it was really bad, things started to fall, it was really noisy, lights went off
[09:41] <Chrono> there are cracks on the walls, nothing serious though

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by tony on 02-27-2010 at 03:50 PM

Good to hear

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by prashker on 02-27-2010 at 04:07 PM

Leave it to Chrono to stay on the internet while Chile divides by 0 :p

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 02-27-2010 at 04:35 PM

yeah, im alive :P

i was checking out the shoutbox when it started. It started slowly and, as i said, i didnt bother about it as we get a lot of tremors in Chile (because we're "in between" the Nazca and South American tectonic plates, so we're all used to them :P). So i even took the time to make the "woah" shout :P i was about to post that it was tremoring when things got worse, though.

Suddenly it got really hard, so i quickly went and stood under the door frame, which is the safest place during a tremor/earthquake in case you didn't know :P. Then things started to fall at home, it was REALLY noisy, so noisy that i had to yell at my father (who'd just woke up) that i was ok, even though this is a small appartment. i saw how there was a crack appearing at the wall right next to me ;o. Then there was a powerdown, no more lights to see any of the action :(. Then it slowly stopped :P.

i must admit tht i like tremors, i even enjoy them, but this was way too much, it was really scary ;o. The strongest part of the earthquake lasted for about 15/20 seconds :P.

So that's it, we got a lot of aftershocks, but nothing really important :P We cleaned up a bit before going to bed after an hour or so :refuck:.

Btw, the earthquake was 8.8 (Richter) in the epicentre and about 8 here in Santiago.

quote:
Saturday's quake comes weeks after an 7.0-magnitude earthquake devastated parts of Haiti. The Chilean quake, at magnitude 8.8, was 700 to 800 times stronger.

As the quote says, this earthquake was ~700 times stronger than the one in haiti, how so? Because Mercalli is a logarithmic scale, meaning that a change in 1 magnitud means a hell of  lot of change in the energy of the earthquake. Still, as i said before, we know that we live in a sismic country, so we make our buildings in order to resist these things. Hence, there wasn't so much damage (at least in santiago, which is the capital city and has more modern structures :P). I went out to see how bad it was and tbh you can barely notice there was an earthquake over here. There is some major damage in other places though.

see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8540522.stm

Edit:

My walls ;o

[Image: trizadura1.jpg]

[Image: pared.jpg]
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by L. Coyote on 02-27-2010 at 05:15 PM

ZOMG THAT IZ SO SCARRY!!! :'(

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Thor on 02-27-2010 at 05:20 PM

I'm glad to hear you're okey Chrono! :D

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by prashker on 02-27-2010 at 05:39 PM

I'm assuming those things will be repaired right :p?

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by foaly on 02-27-2010 at 05:40 PM

Good to hear, that mayor cities like Santiago, can withstand such severe earthquakes...
If 8.8 is the magnitude of the quake, shouldn't it be on the Richter scale instead of the Mercalli scale?

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by billyy on 02-27-2010 at 06:02 PM

Holy ****!
How can you live there knowing that every day of the week you could get crushed like a bug under yer own roof :|
The second crack is amazing O_O

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Weyzza on 02-27-2010 at 06:16 PM

I came back from the grave just to check if you were okay, Chrono.
Glad nothing happened to you and your family.

This doesn't look good.

[Image: PH2010022701699.jpg]

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by gif83 on 02-27-2010 at 06:54 PM

Good to hear you are ok Chrono.

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by CookieRevised on 02-27-2010 at 10:00 PM

OMFG.
Even reading your post gives me the chills again.
Thank god you and your family are ok Chrono.

now don't ever do that again :p

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 02-27-2010 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I'm assuming those things will be repaired right :p?
Obviously :P

[16:24] <Tochjo> I guess our ideas of serious things differ a bit :chrongue:
[96675] [16:24] <andrey>  uhm wtf chrono, those cracks look pretty serious to me >_>

[19:37] <Chrono> those aint serious, it's not structural damage as in "the wall could fall" :P It's easily fixeable

note that this is a10 floor appartments building and this is the second floor. If those were serious i wouldnt be here :refuck: Remember we build our buildings to resist these things, i guess i see the damage differently :P
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by blessedguy on 02-27-2010 at 10:51 PM

Glad to know you're ok :) Or else who would deserve the :ban: and :chrono: emoticons? (A)

Anyways, earthquakes give me chills. Always. While Chrono lives the border of the S. American plate, I'm right in the middle, so no earthquakes (which means we aren't prepared for one and if it does happen we're DOOMED).
Discovered it while was lunching near my school, since it had wifi I logged into twitter and the trendings you know what.

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by prashker on 02-27-2010 at 11:26 PM

[Image: chileem.jpg]

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by CookieRevised on 02-27-2010 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
note that this is a10 floor appartments building and this is the second floor. If those were serious i wouldnt be here :refuck:
ffs, stop saying that, you freak me out ...

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Joa on 02-27-2010 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
now don't ever do that again
rofl i blamed him too :P

i'm glad u'r ok though dodgy chrono :dodgy: ...
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by CookieRevised on 02-27-2010 at 11:35 PM

yeah, he could've just called you if he wanted your attention like normal people, instead of slamming his banhammer on the red button... I suppose ;) (A)

* CookieRevised runs...

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Th3rmal on 02-27-2010 at 11:39 PM

quote:

i was checking out the shoutbox when it started. It started slowly and, as i said, i didnt bother about it as we get a lot of tremors in Chile (because we're "in between" the Nazca and South American tectonic plates, so we're all used to them :P). So i even took the time to make the "woah" shout :P i was about to post that it was tremoring when things got worse, though.

Suddenly it got really hard, so i quickly went and stood under the door frame, which is the safest place during a tremor/earthquake in case you didn't know :P. Then things started to fall at home, it was REALLY noisy, so noisy that i had to yell at my father (who'd just woke up) that i was ok, even though this is a small appartment. i saw how there was a crack appearing at the wall right next to me ;o. Then there was a powerdown, no more lights to see any of the action :(. Then it slowly stopped :P.

i must admit tht i like tremors, i even enjoy them, but this was way too much, it was really scary ;o. The strongest part of the earthquake lasted for about 15/20 seconds :P.

So that's it, we got a lot of aftershocks, but nothing really important :P We cleaned up a bit before going to bed after an hour or so :refuck:.

Btw, the earthquake was 8.8 (Mercalli) in the epicentre and about 8 here in Santiago.
I find it a little disturbing that you were able to use the ':P' emoticon so many times while talking about an earthquake ~700 times stronger than Haiti's one :|
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 02-27-2010 at 11:39 PM

lol :P Dont be fooled by what they show you on tv, you know they always show the worst stuff :P. The most damaged places were the ones with old buildings mostly, when there was no regulation about constructions (and that's like 50 years old buildings :P), and small towns with adobe houses and stuff.

Luckily, you cant see much damage in my neighborhood, the only thing that gives it away is an old church from the 1850s, that lost it's belfry :P

[Image: 280px-Nuestra_Sra_de_la_Providencia_commons.jpg]

[Image: 4392092746_1ee73fcf10.jpg]

That's 2 blocks away from here :p
Other than that you could barely notice some cracks and windows that had crashed :P. Well, the lack of stores opened kinda gave it away too :P

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by L. Coyote on 02-27-2010 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
[Image: chileem.jpg]
Looks like Chile ate too many chili. :P
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by andrey on 02-27-2010 at 11:42 PM

[Image: nw3xcmqg-chileshoop.jpg]

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 02-27-2010 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yeah, he could've just called you if he wanted your attention like normal people, instead of slamming his banhammer on the red button... I suppose ;) (A)

* CookieRevised runs...

rofl wtf :P Yeah it's all my fault.

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
I find it a little disturbing that you were able to use the ':P' emoticon so many times while talking about an earthquake ~700 times stronger than Haiti's one :|
Dont blame me for being addicted to that emoticon :P

awesome edit andrey lol ;o
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Panachiba on 02-28-2010 at 06:05 AM

quote:

Btw, the earthquake was 8.8 (Mercalli) in the epicentre and about 8 here in Santiago.

As the quote says, this earthquake was ~700 times stronger than the one in haiti, how so? Because Mercalli is a logarithmic scale, meaning that a change in 1 magnitud means a hell of  lot of change in the energy of the earthquake. Still, as i said before, we know that we live in a sismic country, so we make our buildings in order to resist these things. Hence, there wasn't so much damage (at least in santiago, which is the capital city and has more modern structures :P). I went out to see how bad it was and tbh you can barely notice there was an earthquake over here. There is some major damage in other places though.

see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8540522.stm

Hahahah Chrono!
The North Region (Where I live)  is more sismic than the center and the south zones..
But wow! It was my best sleeping night ahaha..
I'm so greateful <3
I'm a bit worried about Chillan and Concepcion..=/
I still don't know nothing about a couple of friends on there D:
And bleh! We are on Chile, we can handle this :chrongue:
Me alegro que estes bien =P
Te lo mereces por ser un recien egresado de la Universidad =/
RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Eddie on 02-28-2010 at 02:36 PM

Glad to hear your okay Chrono, I don't browse the forums much but visited to see if you were okay, somehow I remembered you being from Chile, but in other news this quake made bigger waves across the great blue in Australia: http://www.smh.com.au/world/tsunami-as-fast-as-a-...20100228-pb76.html

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 02-28-2010 at 09:18 PM

All tsunami alerts/warnings have been cancelled by now throughout the world afaik.

So far, 708 deaths have been reported and the number is expected to rise further. Santiago hasnt been damaged that much, mostly downtown where there are older buildingings.
So, hopefully, it's not that bad over here. i mean, we got power back after 2 hours and i could even get online by then :P. The airport's working, 3 lines of the metro are working already, supermarkets are all open, etc.

Most of the damage was done to smaller towns and in Concepcion, the second to largest city in Chile, where the earthquake hit with a magnitude of ~9 (in Santiago, it was 8). They still have no water not electricity, but they're working on it and hopefully they'll have it back soon.

quote:
"About 1.5 million homes have been damaged. Most of the collapsed buildings were of older design - including many historic structures."

quote:
"One US risk assessor, Eqecat, put the value of the damage at between $15bn and $30bn (£9.8bn-£19.6bn)."

So far we haven't requested international assistance so i guess we're fine :P

quote:
"Chile has so far not requested foreign assistance, saying it can handle the immediate relief effort.

Foreign Minister Mariano Fernandez said Chile did not want aid offers to be "a distraction", adding: "Any aid that arrives without having been determined to be needed really helps very little." "

Although our president did say that we could accept some of the offers at some point :P

quote:
"In Chile, an 8.8-magnitude earthquake on Saturday has so far killed more than 700 people. On January 12, a less powerful earthquake, one measuring 7.0, killed more than 200,000 in Haiti.

The difference in those death tolls comes from building construction and technology, scientists and engineers have said. In Haiti, buildings were constructed quickly and cheaply. Chile, a richer and more industrialized nation, adheres to more stringent building codes."

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by djdannyp on 02-28-2010 at 09:32 PM

This + Haiti has made me realise that no matter how shite the weather is here in England, that us complaining about it is pretty lousy compared to places that get earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

The worst we get is a bit cold or a bit hot......oh, and the odd dusting of snow which grinds the country to a halt cos most people are fags, lol

Glad you're okay though (Y)

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Pr0xY on 03-08-2010 at 02:49 AM

Chrono, I'm glad to hear that you & your family are safe. 

What town/city do you live in?  My girlfriend just flew down there yesterday to assist with trauma counseling & translating for monolingual aid workers.

RE: 8.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chile by Chrono on 03-08-2010 at 03:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
Chrono, I'm glad to hear that you & your family are safe. 
Hey thanks ;D
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
What town/city do you live in?  My girlfriend just flew down there yesterday to assist with trauma counseling & translating for monolingual aid workers.
i'm in Santiago, the capital city. There's not much damage here so i guess she went south to Concepcion or one of the multiple towns around it, it's over there where the earthquake caused major destruction. Let me know if i can help her out with anything ;o