Shoutbox

[split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead (/showthread.php?tid=93988)

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by a_punker on 03-01-2010 at 08:29 AM

grrrr help!
msn live used to sit in my Windows7 notification area just fine. MP!L for some reason made it run on the taskbar instead.

SO > compatiblity mode, right?

this disabled Aero and changed the desktop to win7Basic. i don't want this.

untick compatibility mode puts it back on the taskbar but its is now ALWAYS disables aero when i run it??????

how can i get it back to being aero?....help!

RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by Felu on 03-01-2010 at 08:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by a_punker
grrrr help!
msn live used to sit in my Windows7 notification area just fine. MP!L for some reason made it run on the taskbar instead.

untick compatibility mode puts it back on the taskbar but its is now ALWAYS disables aero when i run it??????

how can i get it back to being aero?....help!
Right click on desktop -> Personalize -> Switch back to aero.
RE: Minimise to tray on Win7 (without Vista compatibility mode) by a_punker on 03-01-2010 at 08:53 AM

nope, it still stays basic till i close msnmsgr then goes back to aero.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by djdannyp on 03-01-2010 at 09:16 AM

Right click on Messenger and go to properties, then go to the Compatibility tab and unselect "Disable Visual Themes"

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by CookieRevised on 03-01-2010 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by a_punker

And it can also cause several issues in Messenger and as a result with Messenger Plus! Live.
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by a_punker on 03-01-2010 at 11:23 AM

Thanks very much for your help djdannyp.

I'll run it in aero in compatibility mode for a while and see what issues arise.

great piece of software, great community thanks all.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by CookieRevised on 03-01-2010 at 11:33 AM

You might not notice the issues at first, but they sure are there though.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-02-2010 at 11:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I would like to report a similar problem. Even with compatibility mode, WLM now sits in the taskbar instead of the system tray as it used to do.

I have tried running it as admin and with various compatibility modes, but the problem remains. It used to work fine before with the compatibility trick.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, WLM 14.0.8089.726 and Messenger Plus Live! v4.830.378.

Help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by djdannyp on 04-02-2010 at 03:16 PM

WLM is meant to sit in only the taskbar, not the system tray.  Any method of getting it into the system tray is a hack and can cause problems

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-02-2010 at 04:42 PM

The method you are calling "hack" used to work flawlessly without ANY problems.

I am looking for a solution to bring the problem-free modification back.

Thank you.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Menthix on 04-02-2010 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xsever
flawlessly without ANY problems
Except for the part where it tends to suddenly stop doing what you want it to do, like you just experienced.

Messenger Plus! since version 4.83.372 will also disable any compatibility settings on msnmsgr.exe since it tends to slow Messenger down (which could be your problem if this happened after a recent Plus! installation/upgrade).
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/changelog/
Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

Windows 7 takes another approach to the taskbar vs. systray. It takes a bit of getting used to. But having used it for several months now it just makes more sense. On average I now have 0 icons besides my clock in the systray. Applications which I need to access are in the taskbar. Background processes which need to notify me of something show up in the systray next to the clock, but only if they have something to say. Other background processes which just don't have anything to say have their icon hidden from the systray completely.
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by King Of Chaos on 04-03-2010 at 10:48 PM

MP!L removing the ability to use the compatibility setting allowing it to be sent to the system tray should be optional, 'hack' or not. Let people decide what they allow or not.

Seriously, what issues occur from sending it to the system tray? Just a slow down? I've NEVER noticed such a thing, nor do I care. I've been doing it since the final release of WLM 2009 and I've not had a single issue, crash, serious issue, etc. Besides, if it was such a hack, why would Microsoft allow you to do it in the first place?

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Menthix on 04-03-2010 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King Of Chaos
what issues occur from sending it to the system tray?
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/changelog/
Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

It doesn't prevent you from running in Messenger compatibility mode though. You'll just have to re-apply the setting when you re-install/upgrade Plus!. The reason why Plus! does this is because most people will just forget they ever configured the compatibility mode. Once it starts causing problems they'll spend ages trying to figure out what is causing it, or they'll report problems on here or on Microsoft support where other people will then waste their time trying to figure out why these things are happening.

Although I agree Plus! should at least notify the user before it does this.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by King Of Chaos on 04-03-2010 at 11:13 PM

Like I said, it should be optional. I've NEVER experienced a 'slow down' from doing this.

RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-04-2010 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

It doesn't prevent you from running in Messenger compatibility mode though. You'll just have to re-apply the setting when you re-install/upgrade Plus!.

Yeah, but re-applying the compatibility mode does not put WLM back in the taskbar. I never noticed any slow downs before, so I highly urge you to make it an option in the next update.

Explain the consequences (if any), and then give us an option please.

Thank you.
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by riahc4 on 04-06-2010 at 04:34 PM

AFAIK, Im running it in Vista compatibilty mode and I dont have it in my superbar, just in the system tray.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Spunky on 04-06-2010 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
AFAIK, Im running it in Vista compatibilty mode and I dont have it in my superbar, just in the system tray.

Congratulations. Tricking it into thinking it's running on Vista will make it think there IS NO superbar.
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-06-2010 at 10:10 PM

which version of Messenger Live Plus! are you guys running ?

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by riahc4 on 04-06-2010 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Congratulations. Tricking it into thinking it's running on Vista will make it think there IS NO superbar.
Problem being.............?
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by djdannyp on 04-07-2010 at 01:08 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Problem being.............?

That the reason it doesn't show in the Superbar is because the program doesn't think there is one......it's not genius and is also NOT recommended.  Programs that function correctly should NOT be run in compatibility mode as a matter of course, simple to get it to behave in an outdated fashion.

quote:
which version of Messenger Live Plus! are you guys running ?

Most people here are running the latest version, but it isn't the version of Messenger Plus! Live that determines this, it's the operating system's new way of displaying Messenger in Windows 7
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Chrissy on 04-07-2010 at 02:16 AM

I think it should say that Plus! is going to do and ask the user. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of changes or proper updates to Plus! in a long time. Maybe it's just me..

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-07-2010 at 10:46 PM

@ djdannyp

I have spoken to developers on the IRC Chat and they told me the compatibility mode trick stopped working because of the newest version of Plus!  They implement something that stopped the app from running in the tray.

Therefore, Windows 7 has nothing to do with how the trick stopped working.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by CookieRevised on 04-07-2010 at 10:57 PM

(PS, they aren't the developers, they are just helpers like you'll find here on this forum ;))

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by djdannyp on 04-07-2010 at 11:07 PM

Windows 7 is the reason for needing the "trick" though.  It's something that shouldn't be used, either with Messenger itself, or with Messenger + Messenger Plus! Live.

The program functions correctly without compatibility mode, therefore using compatibility mode unnecessarily will cause problems, such as those you have experienced.

It is 100% Windows 7 that stops Windows Live Messenger appearing in the system tray, it's nothing to do with Messenger Plus! Live, it's just the intended behaviour of WLM on Windows 7

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Chrissy on 04-08-2010 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(PS, they aren't the developers, they are just helpers like you'll find here on this forum ;))
Some of them are developers, just not for Plus!/WLM actually.

As some of you may know developers are someone of develops a products or piece of software. Anyone can be a developer as long as you are developing something.

So really, some of them are ;) (i was just correcting you)
RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-08-2010 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

It is 100% Windows 7 that stops Windows Live Messenger appearing in the system tray, it's nothing to do with Messenger Plus! Live, it's just the intended behaviour of WLM on Windows 7

There is something you are absolutely not understanding. Let me help you here.

The "hack" was working 100% on Windows 7 until a recent update of Plus!  When that update was installed, the "hack" stopped working. Nothing changed with Windows 7.

As I said before, that Plus! update stopped the "compatibility hack" from continuing to function. The person I spoke to said they might bring the feature back with an option to either enable it or disable it.

Is this clear enough?

Thanks,
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Chrissy on 04-08-2010 at 12:47 AM

All Plus! did was reset the compatibility settings. This means currently whenever you update Plus! these settings are reset and will have to be set again.

Plus! doesn't remove the feature to run Windows Live Messenger in compatibility mode, it just removes that setting that you can put back again.

The reason Plus! does this is because compatibility mode has been know to cause some problems with Plus!

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by djdannyp on 04-08-2010 at 01:00 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

There is something you are absolutely not understanding. Let me help you here.

The "hack" was working 100% on Windows 7 until a recent update of Plus!  When that update was installed, the "hack" stopped working. Nothing changed with Windows 7.

As I said before, that Plus! update stopped the "compatibility hack" from continuing to function. The person I spoke to said they might bring the feature back with an option to either enable it or disable it.

Is this clear enough?

Thanks,

I understand it perfectly, please don't try to patronise me.

YOU don't seem to be understanding that the "hack" is only required because of the way that Windows Live Messenger works on Windows 7.  I am fully aware that installing the most recent versions of Messenger Plus! Live resets the compatibility mode settings of Messenger.

This is done because Messenger is not designed to run in compatibility mode and it can cause problems if you do.  Compatibility mode is meant largely for programs that don't function correctly under a new operating system.  This is NOT the case for WLM in Windows 7, as what you are determined to be not working correctly is infact intended behaviour.
RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-08-2010 at 01:22 AM

I clearly understand what compatibility mode does. I am not a simple noob. I know my stuff.

What I am not understanding is when you say "This is done because Messenger is not designed to run in compatibility mode and it can cause problems if you do"

When I was using compatibility mode, it was not causing me ANY problems at all! What are these problems specifically? Could you please tell me so I understand what you are saying?

Thanks./

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Chrissy on 04-08-2010 at 02:07 AM

I agree with you xserver. It never causes stuff for me, but can for some people, there for the risk is healed.

It caused problems with tabbed chats, windows always flashing, frozen conversations etc..

RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-08-2010 at 02:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
I agree with you xserver. It never causes stuff for me, but can for some people, there for the risk is healed.

It caused problems with tabbed chats, windows always flashing, frozen conversations etc..

I never saw any of these problems. That's why I am asking for an option to either enable the feature or not.
RE: RE: RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by CookieRevised on 04-08-2010 at 05:53 AM

quote:
I clearly understand what compatibility mode does. I am not a simple noob. I know my stuff.

What I am not understanding is when you say "This is done because Messenger is not designed to run in compatibility mode and it can cause problems if you do"

When I was using compatibility mode, it was not causing me ANY problems at all! What are these problems specifically? Could you please tell me so I understand what you are saying?
Mostly internal problems which you don't see yourself. That is the whole point.

It is not because you don't see any apparant problems, that there are none.

Patchou (the creator of Plus!), has said so himself.

------

Also, I dunno who said that there might be an option to choose if you want compat. mode or not in a future version (if that is what you meant they said). But that is incorrect (unless Patchou said so himself).

What might be added in the future is an option to show an icon again for WLM in the system tray. But even that is something I've never seen Patchou saying. Maybe he said it in private to that person who told you, but he didn't said something like that in public afaik...

(although I would like such an option too though).

------

@Chrissy: yeah, you're right, I should have said they aren't developers of Messenger Plus!. But I thought that was obvious.
RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-08-2010 at 08:59 PM

Well, he should know then that there are users out there who would like that option.

I am sure he can come up with something that does not require going through the compatibility mode.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by Patchou on 04-09-2010 at 05:22 AM

Enabling compatibility mode with Mesenger can indeed cause serious issues (not always but in some cases, it cause abnormal freezes in Messenger). Once Messenger Plus! has been installed, yo ucan re-enable compatibility mode in Messenger if you want. Things will work but Plus! (and Messenger) won't do things specific to Vista or Windows 7 and you won't be able to get support if you have issues.

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-09-2010 at 02:02 PM

Hello Patchou,

Thank you for looking into the thread.

Re-enabling compatibility mode did not work after the latest update of Plus! The setting gets applied, but the icon does not go to the system tray like it used to before the update.

On the other hand, are you capable of putting the icon in the tray without going through compatibility mode ?

Thanks,

RE: [split] Plus! no longer in system tray, but on taskbar instead by xsever on 04-21-2010 at 11:30 AM

No feedback ?