Shoutbox

text links in quick messages,is it possible? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: text links in quick messages,is it possible? (/showthread.php?tid=94033)

text links in quick messages,is it possible? by likurtgerty on 03-06-2010 at 05:03 PM

The song being listened to is a text link. How can i make one myself?

RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by djdannyp on 03-06-2010 at 07:08 PM

The song being listened to just links through to a "Bing" search

For example, my current one takes you to:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=music+Hoobastank%20-...20-%20The%20Reason

RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by likurtgerty on 03-06-2010 at 07:15 PM

so there is no way to add a text link?

RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by Menthix on 03-06-2010 at 07:25 PM

By quick messages you mean your personal message, displayed on the contacts list behind the contact's name?

Any link you add there is already clickable in Messenger 2009. But I assume you want your own text (instead of an URL) to be displayed, which leads to a URL of choice when your contacts click it?

You could make a script to show the text of choice, but you won't be able to fully customize the URL it links to. Like djdannyp says, it will link to a Bing search, the software on your contact's side decides where the link leads to, you can't influence it from your side.

RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by likurtgerty on 03-06-2010 at 07:39 PM

yeah, thats what i wanted to do,

thnx anyway

RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by djdannyp on 03-06-2010 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by likurtgerty
yeah, thats what i wanted to do,

thnx anyway

Unfortunately, for security reasons it's not possible to disguise links on WLM, otherwise you could have www.youtube.com linking to www.dodgy-virus-site.com and screw people over.
RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by CookieRevised on 03-06-2010 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Like djdannyp says, it will link to a Bing search, the software on your contact's side decides where the link leads to, you can't influence it from your side.
Which is a good thing because for your contact there is no way to check where the link goes to without actually clicking it. Which means a potential big security risk if you could alter the underlying link to your linkings.
RE: text links in quick messages,is it possible? by ryxdp on 03-06-2010 at 08:39 PM

You could have the actual destination in a tooltip when you hover over the link, but sadly I just don't see the general user base "getting it". The current way is much safer, yes, and much easier for people to know how it works.