Shoutbox

[Solved] Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [Solved] Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? (/showthread.php?tid=94046)

[Solved] Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by prashker on 03-09-2010 at 01:08 PM

Odd question, I know, but I've never really done this with a laptop or a netbook.

I have a HP Mini 1036, and for the stuff I need to do it would make more sense to use the netbook than my PC.

Leaving my netbook unattended for a period of time...compared to a PC, is it okay?

(l)

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Menthix on 03-09-2010 at 01:14 PM

Same thing as running a PC for a long time, if it lasts for a couple of hours it shouldn't be a problem running if day and night under the same load.

A friend uses laptops as home servers and hasn't had any real problems. He did took them out of the body (motherboard fully exposed) and removed the monitor. But I don't think that is really required.

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Chrissy on 03-09-2010 at 05:26 PM

Yeah, but take the battery out. If you keep the battery in while using mains power it ruins you battery.

But then if your power cuts there is no safe shutdown. :P

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by albert on 03-09-2010 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
A friend uses laptops as home servers and hasn't had any real problems. He did took them out of the body (motherboard fully exposed) and removed the monitor. But I don't think that is really required.

Netbooks aren't laptops..

As far as I read, all netbooks are made extreemly cheap; bringing 1 on 2 of them to break in a 2 years mark (study that was posted on neowin somehwere).

Therefore hardware is extreeeeeemmmllyyyyyy cheap in these little machines, so in my opinion; the less use the better.
RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Mnjul on 03-09-2010 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

Netbooks aren't laptops..

As far as I read, all netbooks are made extreemly cheap; bringing 1 on 2 of them to break in a 2 years mark (study that was posted on neowin somehwere).

Therefore hardware is extreeeeeemmmllyyyyyy cheap in these little machines, so in my opinion; the less use the better.
Haven't seen the said study, but if you're talking about a 2 year mark, then the studied netbooks are probably early eeePC models made by ASUS or other cheap Taiwan manufactures (yeah, I'm Taiwanese :P). I believe HP netbooks are made with higher quality.
RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Menthix on 03-09-2010 at 08:38 PM

True, cheaper systems is cheaper components + less space is more heat. I'm not saying go out and buy netbooks with the intention of running them as a server. But if you have one laying around it's better do keep in on day and night than not using it at all :).

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by lizard.boy on 03-10-2010 at 04:50 PM

It's usually recommended to take out the battery and leave the lid open if possible, but I can't see why you shouldn't use it. If you need the battery for backup purposes leave it in, but it's usually better for the battery to not be continuously charged. If you are gonna leave it out for a long period of time, discharge it to about 50%. I forget the reasoning behind this but it's better for the Li-Ion cells.

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Chrissy on 03-10-2010 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
It's usually recommended to take out the battery and leave the lid open if possible, but I can't see why you shouldn't use it. If you need the battery for backup purposes leave it in, but it's usually better for the battery to not be continuously charged. If you are gonna leave it out for a long period of time, discharge it to about 50%. I forget the reasoning behind this but it's better for the Li-Ion cells.
..and keep it very cool, better in the fridge.
RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by Adeptus on 03-11-2010 at 03:33 AM

I've ran my Macbook always on for months at a time.  Of course, it's a Mac and they just work.

RE: Are there issues with keeping a netbook on for a week? by prashker on 03-11-2010 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
I've ran my Macbook always on for months at a time.  Of course, it's a Mac and they just work.
Adeptus has spoken. Thread has been concluded.

CHRONO!