Shoutbox

[Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 (/showthread.php?tid=94051)

[Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 03-10-2010 at 03:33 AM

Well Patchou has announced a while ago that he has gained control again (sort of speak) and has mentioned a few times Messenger Plus! Live 5. Since we, the community, have a voice again, Id like to see what Plus! members would like in MP!L 5.

Here is my personal list
- Alot more additions to the Plus! Live scripting API

- A rewritten Plus! Chat Log

- Aliases (example: If you want /away to be /awayinyourlanguagehere. I know it is possible with Quick Texts and possibily a script but...)

- Remove some old commands (example: Only away and busy are now statuses so things like /brb should be removed)

- Remove Contact List Clean-up (until Microsoft fixes this I think it should be removed to stop confusing people)

- Enable thumbnail preview in Vista/7 for tabbed chats (each tabbed chat appears in its own thumnail like IE)

- Fix the OK/Apply button "problem"

- Add new and more complex commands
(Examples:
/maximize would maximize your window.
/nextchat would go to the next chat window that you opened.
/nexttab would go to the next tab in the window.
/tab 4 would go to the forth tab in the window.
/tab 4 "Im talking to someone right now" would send to the forth tab a message saying "Im talking to someone right now" without actually going to that tab and just staying on the current tab.
Also something more complex.
A example in Visual Studio, when you put (example) msgbox( , it will display the parameter which is I belive string. Well we can do something similar and instresting here:
/ shows all the commands (this is standard)
/sendmsg and a space would open a small list of for example different contacts to send a message to. Once you type out/select the contact another small tooltip would show saying you have to enter text maybe even auto inserting a " to start off
/tab and a space would open a list with the tabs opened/avaliable, their number and the contacts email/name.

With this we have a sort of just move around with the keyboard instead of having to use your mouse. Some of the commands are for power users while others might be useless but more commands (the more the better) would be great)

- (Added 2:06 AM GMT +1 3/11/2010)
More BBCode/forum tags. Things like:
[youtube=videolink][/youtube] (This one seems hard but if Winks are flashed based, why not directly just display a YouTube video in the conversation?)
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[code=C][/code] (This one would be awesome for programmers :) )
[quote ] [ / quote]

Again, some are useless (such as quote) but hey, they are there.

Also, I might be missing something logic here :P, but why arent IRC and BBCode allows at the same time?

- (Added 4:44 AM GMT +1 3/11/2010)
64-bit version
I actually got this from Patchou's "create the architecture" below although right now, it is pointless. If Microsoft decides to one day release a 64 bit version of Windows Live Messenger, then Plus! should also go the 64 bit route. I understand that programs such as WLM and MP!L dont need 64 bit but I think the next version OS from Microsoft (this is a personal opinion) which currently is on Microsoft's roadmap is codenamed "Windows 8" should be 64 bit only to further the transition to 64 bit. Im kind of going OT here but the builds currently from MS on the codenamed "Windows 8" OS are only 64 bit so it seems to be that way. Well this suggestion has gotten way offtopic :P

If anyone has anything else to add or modify some of my suggestions, post them. You might have a great idea :)

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chris4 on 03-10-2010 at 03:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Can you explain why?

quote:
- Remove some old commands (example: Only away and busy are now statuses so things like /brb should be removed)
I still use "/brb" as I'm sure many others do because its quick and easy and still sets me as away.

quote:
Many of them seem pointless - there's keyboard shortcuts for that. Why type "/nexttab" when you can just press CTRL+TAB? Why type "/maximize" when you can do it with a click of a button (or with ALT+SPACE+X) ... etc.
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-10-2010 at 06:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
quote:
I still use "/brb" as I'm sure many others do because its quick and easy and still sets me as away.

Not to mention that many other Messenger clients like aMSN still recognise and parse the old statuses.

quote:
- Enable thumbnail preview in Vista/7 for tabbed chats (each tabbed chat appears in its own thumnail like IE)

That would be quite nice, although equally, the arrows work quite well.

What I would like is the ability to "un-group" conversations from the tabbing......and be able to have 2 or 3 different "sessions" of tabbed chats

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 03-10-2010 at 07:16 AM

I agree with Chris4

quote:
You can already change the layout of chat logs if you whish (its XML), so please explain further.

quote:
- Aliases (example: If you want /away to be /awayinyourlanguagehere. I know it is possible with Quick Texts and possibily a script but...)
but what? As you said so yourself, you already have aliases, namely Quick Texts.

quote:
As long as such statusses are possible, those commands should remain! Many people still use them and some clients still show them.

quote:
- Remove Contact List Clean-up (until Microsoft fixes this I think it should be removed to stop confusing people)
Although I can see your point, I don't think it should be removed at all as long as the Reverse List can be checked out in Messenger itself. The Contact List Clean-up is more than just a simple 'Reverse List' list and is way more convenient to manage contacts than what Messenger offers. It is not because there is a problem with one column in the Contact List Clean-up window that the whole thing should be removed.

It could use some GUI changes though, so that people aren't too confused about it. But that will be done anyways for everything in Plus!.

This said, in the long run it will be changed anyways because the whole friends/buddy system in Messenger itself is probably going to change anyways to accomodate better integration with more networks (and part of those changes are already in place, hence the current problems with the reverse list - but I never said this, you haven't heared it from me).

quote:
- Fix the OK/Apply button "problem"
What problem? There is no problem...

People do use the 'apply' button when they want to change something without closing the window. 'Power' users and helpers quite often use that instead of 'OK'. Personally I would find it extremely annoying when there is only an 'OK' button which immediatly closes the window. It would make troubleshooting and helping people a lot harder and more annoying (especially when registry stuff is involved).

quote:
(Examples:
/maximize would maximize your window.
/nextchat would go to the next chat window that you opened.
/nexttab would go to the next tab in the window.
etc...
As Chris4 said most of what you listed is useless. You have either shortcuts for that, or they simply require one or a double click of mouse (eg: maximizing, etc.).

People are well used to working with keyboard and mouse together as it is way more faster and efficient. Keyboard-only junkies are extremely rare. But if you really really want it, you can still make scripts for such things. For the average user such commands are completely pointless.

--

The only thing I find usefull and interesting at first sight is the suggestion for intellisense for commands.

Although some things are hard to do. Eg: your example of /sendmsg isn't the best one because opening a 'small' window with contacts to send a message to will be troubelsome if you have like 200 contacts. However, it is another thing when it is implemented as an auto-complete and only after a maximum number of contacts are filtered already by what you have typed, the popup will show. Because a popup as large as your screen isn't very helpfull.

And now that I think about it, from the top of my head I don't know any commands (except for something like a new /status command or whatever) which would actually benefit from such a popup window. For most existing commands it is either pointless to list something (as the list would be way too big) or there isn't anything to list at all.

But the idea is nice for possible future commands. But for the existing commands there isn't any command which would need it.

-----

PS: There are already many threads with lists of suggestions for a future Plus! version. Why didn't you read and posted in those? This thread will simply turn into yet another list of often repeated and already discussed stuff. :(
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by NanaFreak on 03-10-2010 at 08:16 AM

Oh dear... He's at it again...

The only good suggestion is intellisense thing so that users know parameters and such

ps cookie, I think he meant open chat windows not all contacts... Atleast that's how I think it should be

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Menthix on 03-10-2010 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
What I would like is the ability to "un-group" conversations from the tabbing......and be able to have 2 or 3 different "sessions" of tabbed chats
Very true. Although that is apparently very hard to do in a reliable way, suggested it before. Messenger 2010 seems to be getting tabs natively though, maybe MP!L5 can use that as a new base and improve on that.
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 03-11-2010 at 12:50 AM

Alot of quotes here so excuse me if I mess up :)

quote:

Can you explain why?

Ill just copy and paste what I put in another thread....

quote:
Originally posted by Myself

Besides a feature like this, I think the chat log should be written again from scratch.

I think the most important part that should be incorperated is to index the logs using the Windows Search engine. That and just so many others things: Example show by different terms such as instead of date folder, contact and log size, etc to of course searching by these same terms. Save DPs (in a compress and small format), save winks (such as reproduce the wink in the chat log), save voice clips, save emoticon sounds, etc etc.

The chat log is a feature IMO that should be rewritten almost from scratch. And I also think it was the first feature that intially Messenger Plus! was made for right? Messenger's log pretty much is on par (yes Plus' Chat Log still beats it but)

quote:

Well if typing a extra letter bothers you so much....:S

quote:

Many of them seem pointless - there's keyboard shortcuts for that. Why type "/nexttab" when you can just press CTRL+TAB? Why type "/maximize" when you can do it with a click of a button (or with ALT+SPACE+X) ... etc.
I already noted that some are indeed pointless. You did not comment (or refused to) on the complex ones with parameters. And again, some of these are for power users who simply perfer to type out a command. Example: /maximize doesnt have to be that. It can be /max. I perfer typing quickly /max rather than clicking with my mouse or hitting Alt+Space+X.  Just like you perfer /brb over /away.

quote:

Not to mention that many other Messenger clients like aMSN still recognise and parse the old statuses.

These are suggestions for the official Microsoft Windows Live Messenger/Messenger Plus! Live, not 3rd party clients which are not compatible with Plus!.

quote:

That would be quite nice, although equally, the arrows work quite well.

Well Microsoft itself perfers to have diferrent preview windows for different tabs like in IE8. Might make it alot more uniform.

Makes tab chats without any point....but I agree with your suggestion that the option should at least be there. Might have tabbed chat window with msghelp members and another with your friends.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

You can already change the layout of chat logs if you whish (its XML), so please explain further.

As always, was waiting for your reply :P

Ill quote what I quoted above for Chris4:

quote:
Originally posted by Myself

Besides a feature like this, I think the chat log should be written again from scratch.

I think the most important part that should be incorperated is to index the logs using the Windows Search engine. That and just so many others things: Example show by different terms such as instead of date folder, contact and log size, etc to of course searching by these same terms. Save DPs (in a compress and small format), save winks (such as reproduce the wink in the chat log), save voice clips, save emoticon sounds, etc etc.

The chat log is a feature IMO that should be rewritten almost from scratch. And I also think it was the first feature that intially Messenger Plus! was made for right? Messenger's log pretty much is on par (yes Plus' Chat Log still beats it but)

quote:

but what? As you said so yourself, you already have aliases, namely Quick Texts.

This is possible with Quick Texts? I belive Quick Texts only posts that: text.
Hmm I was thinking a case/example when I wrote the OP where Quick Texts would not do....Ill have to get back to you on this Cookie.

quote:
As long as such statusses are possible, those commands should remain! Many people still use them and some clients still show them.

MS has obviously gone towards only have 4: Online, Busy, Away and Appear Offline. I think Plus! should head in that dirrection as well...

quote:
Although I can see your point, I don't think it should be removed at all as long as the Reverse List can be checked out in Messenger itself. The Contact List Clean-up is more than just a simple 'Reverse List' list and is way more convenient to manage contacts than what Messenger offers. It is not because there is a problem with one column in the Contact List Clean-up window that the whole thing should be removed.

It could use some GUI changes though, so that people aren't too confused about it. But that will be done anyways for everything in Plus!.

This said, in the long run it will be changed anyways because the whole friends/buddy system in Messenger itself is probably going to change anyways to accomodate better integration with more networks (and part of those changes are already in place, hence the current problems with the reverse list - but I never said this, you haven't heared it from me).

I understand your explanation about it being a simple reverse to the current list in Messenger but if it doesnt work, why have that column? Would a better suggestion be remove that column? If it is better then yes, I restate my suggestion: Remove that column.

quote:
What problem? There is no problem...

People do use the 'apply' button when they want to change something without closing the window. 'Power' users and helpers quite often use that instead of 'OK'. Personally I would find it extremely annoying when there is only an 'OK' button which immediatly closes the window. It would make troubleshooting and helping people a lot harder and more annoying (especially when registry stuff is involved).

I remember creating a thread on this but just couldnt find it....

The problem (its small nothing big and Patchou himself has commented about it in that thread) is that when you click on Apply, it remains clickable. That is not Windows uniform. If you click on Apply in almost ANY application, that button will gray itself out and be nonclickable. If you change something, it will become clickable again.

To sum up:
OK - Saves changes (or nonchanges) and does/does not apply them (programmer's choice). Closes window. All buttons still enabled
Cancel - Discards changes (or nonchanges) and does not apply them. Closes window. All buttons still enabled.
Apply - Saves changes and applys them on the spot. Does not close window. Apply button disabled.

That is how most (if not all) Windows applications work EXCEPT Plus!.

quote:

As Chris4 said most of what you listed is useless.

I have commented this as well...

quote:

You have either shortcuts for that, or they simply require one or a double click of mouse (eg: maximizing, etc.).

Again you can apply a shortcut for /away and a click of the mouse for putting your status away. These commands are again for powerusers.

quote:

People are well used to working with keyboard and mouse together as it is way more faster and efficient. Keyboard-only junkies are extremely rare. But if you really really want it, you can still make scripts for such things. For the average user such commands are completely pointless.

:|
Alot of people (just look at Linux) use ONLY their keyboard...Yes, for the average user this is pointless, but if this was a only average user product, why would there be a script API implanted???

quote:

The only thing I find usefull and interesting at first sight is the suggestion for intellisense for commands.

Although some things are hard to do. Eg: your example of /sendmsg isn't the best one because opening a 'small' window with contacts to send a message to will be troubelsome if you have like 200 contacts. However, it is another thing when it is implemented as an auto-complete and only after a maximum number of contacts are filtered already by what you have typed, the popup will show. Because a popup as large as your screen isn't very helpfull.

And now that I think about it, from the top of my head I don't know any commands (except for something like a new /status command or whatever) which would actually benefit from such a popup window. For most existing commands it is either pointless to list something (as the list would be way too big) or there isn't anything to list at all.

But the idea is nice for possible future commands. But for the existing commands there isn't any command which would need it.

If I was programming Plus!, I would have to think about it but for example (again this goes back to the keyboard/mouse thing), lets say I have a user on my contact list with the email abc@aol.com and another with acd@aol.com. I would type
/sendmsg
A small tooltip would popup saying this is for sending messages without opening a window
then a space which would popup a small list with all of my contacts.
I type:
/sendmsg a
and now Im reduced to a list with with 2 contacts: abc@aol.com and acd@aol.com.
Obviously, due to the letters order abc@aol.com would be selected first. I could either hit tab (or enter) which would automatically put
/sendmsg abc@aol.com |
with the "|" repersenting where my cursor is at and another small tooltip saying enter the message you wish to send

This is a small example. It can be expanded to shift+down to select alot of contacts. Using commas such as
/sendmsg abc@aol.com,acd@aol.com "hey!"
and stuff like that.
Obviously, this and alot more reasons is why I also suggested more expansion on the API.

quote:

PS: There are already many threads with lists of suggestions for a future Plus! version. Why didn't you read and posted in those? This thread will simply turn into yet another list of often repeated and already discussed stuff. :(
Could'nt find any for Plus! Live 5. Sorry :)
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Patchou on 03-11-2010 at 03:20 AM

Thansk for the list, always good to see :).

Messenger Plus! 5.0 will be the start of many new sites, we just have to create the architecture now, piece of cake :p.

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 03-11-2010 at 03:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! 5.0 will be the start of many new sites, we just have to create the architecture now, piece of cake :p.
Many new sites? Create the architecture?

Those are the last phrases I would have thought of to see in this thread :P
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-11-2010 at 06:54 AM

quote:
quote:

These are suggestions for the official Microsoft Windows Live Messenger/Messenger Plus! Live, not 3rd party clients which are not compatible with Plus!.

You've missed the point entirely.  whilst they are suggestions for Messenger Plus! Live, the statuses are still recognised by clients using the Messenger protocols, so it makes sense to leave them in.

If I set myself to "/brb" using Messenger Plus! Live, then any user on aMSN, etc will be able to see me as "Be Right Back".  Why take out functionality that still works?  It's not as if it does anything negative to WLM, it just sets you to the equivalent status.

RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 03-11-2010 at 08:41 AM

quote:
quote:

If I was programming Plus!, I would have to think about it but for example (again this goes back to the keyboard/mouse thing), lets say I have a user on my contact list with the email abc@aol.com and another with acd@aol.com. I would type
/sendmsg
A small tooltip would popup saying this is for sending messages without opening a window
then a space which would popup a small list with all of my contacts.
I type:
/sendmsg a
and now Im reduced to a list with with 2 contacts: abc@aol.com and acd@aol.com.
Obviously, due to the letters order abc@aol.com would be selected first. I could either hit tab (or enter) which would automatically put
/sendmsg abc@aol.com |
with the "|" repersenting where my cursor is at and another small tooltip saying enter the message you wish to send

This is a small example. It can be expanded to shift+down to select alot of contacts. Using commas such as
/sendmsg abc@aol.com,acd@aol.com "hey!"
and stuff like that.
Chris4riahc4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

quote:
quote:
Could'nt find any for Plus! Live 5. Sorry :)
:s  Don't tell me you searched for "Messenger Plus! 5"... Of course you aren't going to find much specific for "Plus! 5". Suggestions are always made for _future_ versions. Take a look in this very same subforum, there are hundreds of suggestions in various threads and there are several big threads with complete lists of suggestions. It is not because a thread was made before the last version of Plus! that it wouldn't be about a suggestion for a version further in the future, like Plus!5.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Many new sites? Create the architecture?

Those are the last phrases I would have thought of to see in this thread :P
many sites = new website and subsites with exciting new things. The architecture = what you have called the "API"; the foundations of the program and the overall structure. (API is actually something else than what you mean).
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 03-23-2010 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Chris4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

I posted that example....

Yes but "a" starts with 200 contacts................"ab" goes to 170.............."abc" goes to 30 contacts............."abcd" goes to 10 contacts..........etc etc.........

quote:
:s  Don't tell me you searched for "Messenger Plus! 5"... Of course you aren't going to find much specific for "Plus! 5". Suggestions are always made for _future_ versions. Take a look in this very same subforum, there are hundreds of suggestions in various threads and there are several big threads with complete lists of suggestions. It is not because a thread was made before the last version of Plus! that it wouldn't be about a suggestion for a version further in the future, like Plus!5.

You worded it like there was a specific thread for Plus! 5. Yes, I would like to control Plus! with my mind but obviously this isnt in the Plus! 5 wish list as the tech isnt here yet.

quote:

many sites = new website and subsites with exciting new things. The architecture = what you have called the "API"; the foundations of the program and the overall structure. (API is actually something else than what you mean).
I believe a architecture is not strictly considered a API; Yes, it has its own API but....
RE: RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 03-24-2010 at 10:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Chris4, thank you for the example but that is exactly what "intellisense" means... And with that you have seemed to have missed the point of my reply a bit and thus haven't replied without anything new. You can not have a "small list of contacts" when you have like 200 contacts on your list.

Yes but "a" starts with 200 contacts................"ab" goes to 170.............."abc" goes to 30 contacts............."abcd" goes to 10 contacts..........etc etc.........
yes, I know you posted that example, but I said that that example is exactly what "intellisense" means...  so I don't need that example (twice now) to know what you meant.

As such you haven't replied with anything I or others didn't know yet. Again, the point I was trying to make is that you can not have "a small list with contact" when you have like 200 contacts starting with the letter "a". 200 contacts is not a small list yet and if you suggested to show that in a "small" window, it is contradicting. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I was commenting that you also need to consider when or how the "small" window is shown. It doesn't matter if the number of items gets smaller when you type more of the emailadress, the initial number of items is too big to be shown entirly in a window. A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...

quote:
quote:

You worded it like there was a specific thread for Plus! 5. Yes, I would like to control Plus! with my mind but obviously this isnt in the Plus! 5 wish list as the tech isnt here yet.
I litterally said "There are already many threads with lists of suggestions for a future Plus! version". I never spoke of Plus!5.

All the existing suggestion threads are about future versions. In fact, a suggestion is by definition always about a future version. You can't suggest something for a past version (unless you can time travel)...

And it is not because a certain version gets released, that all of sudden all the already made suggestions are forgotten and/or vanish in thin air. If a suggestion doesn't make it in version A, it usually still stands for version B.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Eljay on 03-24-2010 at 11:26 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

yes, I know you posted that example, but I said that that example is exactly what "intellisense" means...  so I don't need that example (twice now) to know what you meant.

As such you haven't replied with anything I or others didn't know yet. Again, the point I was trying to make is that you can not have "a small list with contact" when you have like 200 contacts starting with the letter "a". 200 contacts is not a small list yet and if you suggested to show that in a "small" window, it is contradicting. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I was commenting that you also need to consider when or how the "small" window is shown. It doesn't matter if the number of items gets smaller when you type more of the emailadress, the initial number of items is too big to be shown entirly in a window. A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...

I don't think he actually means to display all of them. It could work if you limit the list to, for example, 10 contacts at a time. Then when you type "a" it would get the first 10 contacts beginning with a and display them. Then when you type the next letter, e.g. "b" it would remove any that don't begin with "ab" and try to fill the list again but only up to a maximum of 10.

Maybe referring to it as intellisense is a bad idea, more like Google Suggest or something along those lines (well maybe not like Suggest because that's based on popularity, but you get the idea (i hope :P)).

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 03-24-2010 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
I don't think he actually means to display all of them. It could work if you limit the list to, for example, 10 contacts at a time. Then when you type "a" it would get the first 10 contacts beginning with a and display them. Then when you type the next letter, e.g. "b" it would remove any that don't begin with "ab" and try to fill the list again but only up to a maximum of 10.

Maybe referring to it as intellisense is a bad idea, more like Google Suggest or something along those lines (well maybe not like Suggest because that's based on popularity, but you get the idea (i hope :P)).
Hmmm yeah, that's another nice way of doing it (And it would indeed be more a "Suggest" than a "Intellisense" feature if it went that way). But because of that, personally, I like a "Intellisense" approach better than a "Google Suggest" approach, as the first would be more accurate.

PS: a very simple way to keep on using a "small" window and yet having 200 contacts displayed (for example), is to have a simple scrollbar I guess...
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 03:27 PM

A better editor for colour in nicknames :P

Like A WYSIWYG editor. :D

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 03:37 PM

You mean like this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=991031]

?

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 04:09 PM

No like, you can enter your name, highlight it and see it visually chnage colour. Like a WYSIWYG editor :)

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 07:00 PM

I don't think that Messenger Plus! Live can affect the display of that text box in that way....and you can still see the effect at the top of the contact list...

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 07:05 PM

It can, for example I make my name and instead of putting it in directly it just outputs the codes I need to put in :P

Get what I mean? :)

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 07:07 PM

How would NOT putting it in directly be more simple than putting it in directly?

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 08:01 PM

It wouldn't..

The only reason I said that was because when you said about Plus! affecting text boxes, I got the impression that Plus! couldn't do it, so I said indirectly.
After re-reading I see what you mean :P

Anyway, I still think it's a good idea. :D

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 09:34 PM

It is a good idea.....that's why it happens already :P

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 10:07 PM

It doesn't..

Not like a WYSIWYG editor.

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by djdannyp on 03-24-2010 at 10:23 PM

It's as close as it can get to being one..like I said, I'm pretty sure that Plus! can't manipulate that text box to get it to show the colours, bold, italic, etc.  But to be honest, you know what italics & bold look like, there's no change in font, so it's just the colours, which are there for you to see

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 10:26 PM

It doesn't have to be that box.

You click on the 'Format Colours' button and it opens a Plus! window that allows you to do the editing. Once you're done on there you click accept and it then puts it into the WLM text box or displays the code for you to copy.

There is a script for this, but it would be better if it was Plus! and integrated they way I explained above.

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 04-22-2010 at 12:48 AM

quote:

I believe you do not understand me....
Ill explain this part by part:
[Image: 45924298.png]
As you can see me as alot of properties (or objects, whatever). You see that the scroll bar is thin meaning that there are ALOT of objects. If this can be done in VS, why cant it be done here? Why would it be "almost as big as your entire screen"? As you can see only 10 properties (or objects, whatever) are shown from (lets say) 200. Plus! would reduce that list to 100 when you put more letters and still show 10. It doesnt have to be the whole email/nickname/etc even. Just part of it.

Please tell me if VS can do it, why cant Plus! ?
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 04-22-2010 at 12:55 AM

*sigh* :deadhorse:

riahc, I understood you perfectly the first time....

What you just showed and explained again is called intellisense. See my very first post in this thread (and all later posts trying to explain that to you).

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 04-22-2010 at 12:58 AM

quote:
riahc, I understood you perfectly the first time....
quote:
A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...
Sure about that? Because the first time I ment EXACTLY the same thing as this last post with a screenshot and everything.

See my first post on this subject.

Then tell me WHY you posted the bolded text when you knew that what I ment was not going to take up a entire screen.....
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 04-22-2010 at 12:59 AM

yes I'm sure of that. Read my posts properly and in context instead of picking one sentence out of it.

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 04-22-2010 at 01:02 AM

quote:
yes I'm sure of that. Read my posts properly and in context instead of picking one sentence out of it.
Come on......For ONE wrong sentence you put, just admit you did not understand me on that one pont; Dont blame me.

I have understood EVERYTHING you have said.

I did not except that bitch move (telling me that I hand picked one sentence).
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 04-22-2010 at 01:10 AM

You repeated again and again something I understood from the first time you posted it, so yeah I make that bitch move as all these repeated posts are not needed.

Again, will you please read my first post again, and notice the word intellisense in it? And also read my later posts which explain several ways of implementing it (eg: with or without a scrollbar) and talking about possible advantages or disadvantages for each method.

RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 04-22-2010 at 01:16 AM

quote:
possible advantages or disadvantages for each method.
All your posts have been first "Hey its a good idea" but always at the end watering it down with such arguments such as "a 200 contact list would fill up the entire screen) to make it negative.
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by riahc4 on 04-22-2010 at 01:24 AM

Ill analyze your posts on this subject and point out the watering down:

Post 1:

quote:
Although some things are hard to do. Eg: your example of /sendmsg isn't the best one because opening a 'small' window with contacts to send a message to will be troubelsome if you have like 200 contacts.

But you understood me....OK

Post 2:
quote:
Again, the point I was trying to make is that you can not have "a small list with contact" when you have like 200 contacts starting with the letter "a". 200 contacts is not a small list yet and if you suggested to show that in a "small" window, it is contradicting. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I was commenting that you also need to consider when or how the "small" window is shown. It doesn't matter if the number of items gets smaller when you type more of the emailadress, the initial number of items is too big to be shown entirly in a window. A window with a list of 200 contacts would be almost as big as your entire screen if you want to show them all...

Again, commenting on how HUGE it would be.

Post 3:
quote:
PS: a very simple way to keep on using a "small" window and yet having 200 contacts displayed (for example), is to have a simple scrollbar I guess...

If you understood what I ment from the start, why post this?

I mean, just think for a second: Why would I suggest a HUGE popup window with all my contacts? And if you knew from the start that I was talking about intelisense, you know how intelisense works with (like your "idea" said) with a scrollbar and showing the first 10 items.

You are blaming me for something I suggested from the start and even have the NERVE in the second post about this to actually suggest a idea you understood from (acording to your words) from the start.

Blaming me is the bitch move. You stating a idea (small list with 10 items and a scrollbar) that I ment (obviously, since you understood me from the start) is something I rather pass my opinion on.
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by CookieRevised on 04-22-2010 at 04:35 AM

for crying out loud...

quote:
quote:
possible advantages or disadvantages for each method.
All your posts have been first "Hey its a good idea" but always at the end watering it down with such arguments such as "a 200 contact list would fill up the entire screen) to make it negative.
This reply shows you apparently didn't understood what I've said or why I said it.

quote:
[...]
If you understood what I ment from the start, why post this?
because it's a different way to implement intellisense. Because there is more than one way.

eg:
-the whole list of items visible in one plane (which will produce a huge window with 200 contacts)
-only the first x items visible in one plane (not really usefull for a huge list of contacts)
-the whole list of items in a scrollable window (still troublesome for a huge list of contacts because it still needs lots of scrolling and searching if you don't know the exact name or email - which in the end was the whole purpose of this: to make it easier to select a contact)
-etc...
-etc...

And from your post it isn't clear in what exact way the list would be made visible. The only indication from your post would be "a small list". On which I replied that it wouldn't be small if you have like 200 contacts (and also: 'a list' != 'a window'). On which you replied with the exact same thing as before (type 'a' and list gets shortened with contacts beginning with letter 'a'), and not understanding that there are different ways to display something like intelissense, or even what intellisense is.
And thus I said that you didn't brought up anything new and thus you didn't made a real reply to my post. And yet you posted again the exact same thing (type 'a' and blahblah) without ANY clarification or notion about different existing methods to display the stuff. On which I replied in detail what is 'wrong' with your "small list". And yet you still keep on repeating the same stuff (type 'a' and blahblah), so yeah, of course I get a bit aggravated then...

-------------

Hence I'm not going to reply anymore to this. I know what intellisense means (you clearly didn't) and that it can be implemented in different ways (which you apparently didn't think about or didn't understood from my posts). Ways which all have their own advantage/disadvantage, which I tried to expand on. And last: a list is not a window. You constantly talked about "a list", a list is a bunch of items, it doesn't say a thing about how it is displayed. And it is exactly that what I posted about...
If you fail to understand all of that, then it's your loss, sorry...
RE: [Suggestions] [Wishlist] Messenger Plus! Live 5 by RaPLeX on 04-22-2010 at 10:00 AM

I didnt check whole thread but i d like to see oversized display picture option again if its possible with MPlive.