Shoutbox

Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update (/showthread.php?tid=94092)

Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update by mathieumg on 03-13-2010 at 04:59 PM

The Script "Activity Launcher 1.2" opens a new window in Plus! upon logging in, notifying the user there is a "new update", but it redirects him to an advertising website (which I won't link here) if he clicks on the "Download" button.

I didn't see any other way of "reporting" scripts, so I decided to post here. Hoping an admin can have a look into this.

Thanks

RE: Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update by Mnjul on 03-13-2010 at 05:31 PM

Apparently msig.info is no longer in service and is now parked with (probably) domain registrar's advertisement page. Dunno why the update check results in a "new update available" though...it's probably poorly written. Anyway the advertisement seems ok though, not very malicious.

I've been told that MenthiX, the script db admin, has been contacted. We'll have to wait for him to come online, but I doubt if we can do anything...any user with this script already installed would still see the update (as the update mechanism in question is from the script itself, not from Plus!'s Auto Update) whatever we do.

RE: Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update by mathieumg on 03-13-2010 at 05:38 PM

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks for the clarification.

It might just be parked for now, but it could one day become available and someone with bad intentions could do, well, bad things :P

RE: Activity Launcher 1.2 fake update by Menthix on 03-13-2010 at 06:40 PM

Indeed not really malicious (yet). Not much I can do for existing users either.

I mailed the creator about it though, and removed it from the download db until the issue is resolved.