Shoutbox

Firefox history is recording too much - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firefox history is recording too much (/showthread.php?tid=94110)

Firefox history is recording too much by Chancer on 03-14-2010 at 07:24 PM

I've set Firefox to keep a history of 4 days. However, it keeps saving everything I browse, and then I have to delete it manually, then I lose all the links in the address bar (those I visit often).
How can I solve this?

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by matty on 03-14-2010 at 11:39 PM

Bookmark them?

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by Chrissy on 03-15-2010 at 12:39 AM

Yeah, booking marking them keeps them in the address bar. You can bookmark them very quickly by clicking on the star in the URL.

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by Chancer on 03-15-2010 at 01:45 AM

But I have already too many bookmarked, so some stays in the bookmark bar, others I access from the address bar.

Despite of losing these addresses, I don't want to keep all that history. This is the big problem.

Just now I remembered the about:config settings, and there's a key named "browser.history_expire_days", which was set to 180 (coincidently, my history was showing pages up to 6 months ago). I set it to a lower value. Now I have to wait this period and see what happens.

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by Chris4 on 03-15-2010 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
then I lose all the links in the address bar
Don't delete history then? I rarely do.

History is helpful for when you remember about 'that website you visited a few weeks back'.
RE: Firefox history is recording too much by toddy on 03-15-2010 at 02:19 AM

unless you go on dodgy sites (or giving the pc away), why on earth would you ever want to delete your history? especially with the awesome bar, as it removes the need for lots of bookmarks

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by Chancer on 03-15-2010 at 09:50 PM

I hate the awesome bar. I liked when it used to list only the addresses I typed.

RE: Firefox history is recording too much by Chris4 on 03-15-2010 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
I hate the awesome bar. I liked when it used to list only the addresses I typed.
Type in about:config in the address bar.
Search for browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped, double click it and set it to TRUE.

Or just use oldbar.

Source: 9 tweaks for Firefox 3’s location bar - Mozilla Links