Shoutbox

Audio problems on Win7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Audio problems on Win7 (/showthread.php?tid=94116)

Audio problems on Win7 by Th3rmal on 03-15-2010 at 10:16 AM

what the title says (Y)

:P

EDIT: I just realised this is a bigger problem than I thought.

What is happening is this; I start to play back a song (through WMP or VLC or any other media player) and as the song is being played back, you start to hear some "glitching" noises randomly throughout the song. Basically it screws up the audio of the song, and this is extremely annoying when your trying to listen to a song.

Does anyone know why this happens/how to stop it happening?

(It used to happen on my old comp, but that was because almost all my ram was being used up, or so I was led to believe since when I exited memory hogging programs the audio went fine. However I'm on a relatively new install of windows 7 and my ram is not even at half capacity)

RE: Any way to reinstall WMP on Win7? by Spunky on 03-15-2010 at 10:16 AM

Windows Media Player? Can't you just download it from microsoft and install it?

RE: Any way to reinstall WMP on Win7? by Th3rmal on 03-15-2010 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Windows Media Player? Can't you just download it from microsoft and install it?
Well on the MS website, they give a link to WMP11, but I cant find a download link for v12 (windows 7 version)
RE: Audio problems on Win7 by djdannyp on 03-15-2010 at 11:40 AM

No, you can't download WMP12 (I guess you have to put it back on via Program Features using the CD?), but if it's happening on VLC too then it's not a problem with the media player

What soundcard do you have?

Do the files work properly on other computers?

If you listen to/watch a youtube video then does sound work properly?

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Th3rmal on 03-15-2010 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

If you listen to/watch a youtube video then does sound work properly?
Yes
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Do the files work properly on other computers?
The files worked properly on other computers and this computer before my reformat
RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Chris4 on 03-15-2010 at 12:46 PM

Sounds like after reformat the driver has been deleted or changed.

Install the same driver you had for it before, whether it be from CD, Windows Update or the manufacturers website.

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by djdannyp on 03-15-2010 at 01:34 PM

If that was the case, then surely ANY audio would have a problem?

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Chris4 on 03-15-2010 at 01:44 PM

True, but may be possible without the driver / with a broken/old driver for the sound to work when played through Flash but not directly through an audio player.

Just seems logical to consider the driver to be a possible cause for the problem seeing as it used to work fine before reformatting computer.

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Th3rmal on 03-15-2010 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4

Just seems logical to consider the driver to be a possible cause for the problem seeing as it used to work fine before reformatting computer.
I reformatted about a week ago and I've only started having this problem in the last 2 or 3 days (or at least I think) :S
RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Chris4 on 03-15-2010 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

I reformatted about a week ago and I've only started having this problem in the last 2 or 3 days (or at least I think) :S
In that case it'd recommend a system restore. (Y)
RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Mike on 03-15-2010 at 11:12 PM

Onboard SoundMAX?

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Th3rmal on 03-16-2010 at 04:46 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

In that case it'd recommend a system restore. (Y)
I did one just then, rolled back on some 'critical' updates, but it seems to have worked (Y)

I will report back if after getting the updates again the problem arises once more.
RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Th3rmal on 03-21-2010 at 04:27 AM

Ok I'm getting the problem once again, and its really starting to piss me off because I cant listen to any song properly without the glitching noise.

Anyone have any ideas?

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Chris4 on 03-21-2010 at 05:17 AM

Buy a new sound card, they don't cost much.

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by Adeptus on 03-21-2010 at 05:25 AM

As others have said, try different driver options for your audio chipset.  It may be supported out of the box by Windows 7 (your best bet), it may have something on Windows Update, it may have something from the manufacturer of your motherboard and finally, it may have something available from the manufacturer of the chipset. 

If none of that works, I'd go with the advice of purchasing a sound card.

P.S. Sometimes you just have to give up on your old and perfectly fine hardware.  Windows 7 forced me to get a new TV tuner card, which I like less overall than the old one.

RE: Audio problems on Win7 by djdannyp on 03-21-2010 at 10:46 AM

I know that the "official" drivers for Win7 for the sound card I have don't work properly, they remove any support for surround sound and make it completely tinny, ignoring base.

As a result I have to block the drivers that come through Windows Update and not install official drivers from Creative, instead I've got a third party version of it....so it could be something similar to that if you rolled back, therefore removing some updated drivers, and everything was fine again