Shoutbox

WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work (/showthread.php?tid=94202)

WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 08:28 PM

As it is no surprise the leaked version is very buggy and it uses a lot of resources, but i do like it, it though needs a lot of polish before it is useful..

though i went back to messenger 2009 but i have the same problem as many other people. it will not let me accept files and also if i make video calls, the one in the other end cant see me. but i can see them..

I have figured out that it is nothing on my pc. i have erased everything msn related, used cleaners, and registercleaner, doesnt work.. i then tried with another hotmail account on the same pc, and now it all works, i can receive files and make video calls. (do i go back to the other hotmail account, the problem is still there)

so yeah something on their servers has changed, updated some files or something..

i did though find out something.. if i log in to hotmail in IE and logged in to web messenger, and then logged in to windows live messenger client then i can receive files, but webcam still doesnt work both ways :(

any ideas ?

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 08:59 PM

Yeah, so these problems are for WLM 2009?

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 09:07 PM

No these problems occur after installing WLM 2010. Something happens to the Live account that makes it differ in version than all the others so you cant receive files, not have video call..

It doesnt work in WLM 2010 and if you go back to WLM 2009 the problem is still there. Tried everything, the problem is not on my pc. 

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Menthix on 03-24-2010 at 09:23 PM

Can you confirm you still have these issues when you log on into Messenger 2009 on another PC which didn't have 2010 installed previously? Although it is not impossible for Microsoft to change your credentials on the server side, it seems unlikely. Seems more likely to me despite the thorough cleanup you still missed something.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 10:00 PM

Another guy on this form mentioned he reinstalled his pc and it still didnt work.. so it has to be the account it self.

Personally I havnt tried on another computer yet.. But i tried WLM 2009 in virtual xp, still the same problem.

Everything does work if i use the same WLM 2009 (on the same computer without changing anything) with another hotmail/live account. then it all works.. so it again seems like it is server side.

maybe is i set it up like this it is easier to understand what i mean:

acount1@hotmail.com i used this with WLM2010, cant receive files and video call doesnt work. downgrade to WLM2009, problem is still there.

Try Account2@hotmail.com on same WLM2009 client everything works, can receive files and make video calls..

this all seems so weird and i do agree with you, it sounds very unlikely the problem is on their servers. but that is the only conclusion i can get with my tests and what i have read from other people on here..

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 10:03 PM

Moral of the story: Don't install extremely buggy, leaked and early software ;) :D

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Moral of the story: Don't install extremely buggy, leaked and early software ;) :D

hahhaa yeah i know xD

i was expecting it to be buggy and was prepared to reinstall my OS as a worst case scenario.. I though never thought it would fuck up my live account like that :O

i have no idea what i can do to get it back to normal.. guess have to wait to another leak.. maybe that will help on it :P at least in august when the final version is out i will have my account again haha

oh well. we learn as long as we live :D

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 10:14 PM

Ain't you suppose to patch it before entering account details?

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-24-2010 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Ain't you suppose to patch it before entering account details?

what do you mean?

WLM 2010 doesnt work until you use a patch...
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chrissy on 03-24-2010 at 10:18 PM

It does, but only if your account is on the 'list'.

When I read the article that leaked it I thought patching it saved problems, but now I've realised it allows non testers access to the program(s).

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chris4 on 03-25-2010 at 03:47 AM

When you uninstall WLM 2010 you need to make sure you remove the whole Windows Live Essentials Beta from the Programs list in Control Panel.

You could try ZapMessenger or a clean install before attempting to reinstalling your OS.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Menthix on 03-25-2010 at 08:44 PM

Interesting... did a little test and it does indeed seem to be an issue tied to your account (not the the pc) caused by signing in to the leaked Windows Live Messenger 2010.

I took 2 virtual machines, both running the same OS (Win7 in this case). Both machines already had Live Messenger 2009 (and Messenger Plus!) installed on them. Messenger 2010 or anything else Wave 4 related was never installed on these systems. Signed in to Messenger on both systems, each with their own account. Account 'A' is a test account recently used to login to the leaked Messenger 2010 build on another machine. Account 'B' is another test account which never logged in to Messenger 2010.
I can send files from account 'A' to account 'B'. But trying to send a file from account 'B' to account 'A' fails with this message:

quote:
Originally posted by Error from Windows Live Messenger 2009
The invitation to start File Transfer could not be sent because Trithix is using an older version of Windows Live Messenger.
Just to be sure it wasn't related to the system in some way I swapped systems and logged each account in at the other system. Results are the same: Account 'A' which previously logged in to Live Messenger 2010 on another account cannot receive files (only send). Account 'B' which never touched Live Messenger 2010 can receive and send files without any problem. I'm sure account 'A' will have problems with video chat too as you say, can't test it on a virtual machine.

[Image: The-invitation-to-start-File-Transfer-co...senger.png]

Pretty interesting. No idea what you could do to fix this, and since it is was caused by using a leaked build you can't expect support from Microsoft either. I'm just glad I only did it on a rarely used test account ;). Oh well, good warning showing leaked builds and patches are never risk free.
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by dskill on 03-25-2010 at 09:53 PM

I found a way to solve the problem, login with the account affected in iloveim (select the older version at bottom of the page), login again in WLM 2009 and ask a friend to send you a file.

It works for me. :)

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by andrey on 03-25-2010 at 10:12 PM

Confirmed, I experienced similar issues - tested with seperate VMs, like Menthix did.

After signing in on the leaked WLM 2010 (using the patch which is being circulated), contacts won't be able to nudge you, send you files/voiceclips/winks or initiate video/audio calls/games etc with you on that account (although you can still initiate games/calls yourself).
This persists even when you sign in with that account on WLM 2009 afterwards, with the error message Menthix posted and the options being greyed out.

quote:
Originally posted by dskill
I found a way to solve the problem, login with the account affected in iloveim (select the older version at bottom of the page), login again in WLM 2009 and ask a friend to send you a file.
Doesn't seem to work for me. Tried iloveim, meebo and microsoft's web messenger, but the features still don't work when signing in on WLM 2009 afterwards.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
I'm just glad I only did it on a rarely used test account
same :p

edit: Tested it with another account, same results.

Conclusion: Signing in to the leaked WLM 2010 will break stuff, even when you switch back to WLM 2009.
RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by dskill on 03-25-2010 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Doesn't seem to work for me, tried with both iloveim and microsoft live web messenger..

Sorry, when i logged in with laptop the problem apear again :S

Tomorrow i will test again.
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-25-2010 at 11:43 PM

tried it too doesnt work for me either.. also tried ebbudy too.. same shit different day.

i also tried to change the address on my hotmail account, hoping it would refresh something that would make it work again.. but no such luck.

lesson learned i will never try anything like this with my main account :D
hehe

actually i think this is funny, and i really hope microsoft has done this on purpose.. its our own problem to go around and install a leaked build, we have no business doing so, and this is a good way to burn us that do it xD

any other ideas what to do?

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by dskill on 03-26-2010 at 01:41 PM

i've tryied delete my account from windows live and create another with the same mail but don't work, keeps saying that i'm using and older version.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by sq1 on 03-26-2010 at 04:41 PM

Maybe this was caused by the patch used to signin with the wave 3 protocol? don't know who made it, but i think that can be the cause...

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by dskill on 03-26-2010 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sq1
Maybe this was caused by the patch used to signin with the wave 3 protocol? don't know who made it, but i think that can be the cause...

But if the patch was the cause maybe deleting the patch solves the problem, but not happens.

I think if the patch was the cause we can't receive files in any version and this only happens with WLM2009.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-26-2010 at 06:14 PM

So far we know it has nothing to do with our computers, no matter what we try it will still not work to receive files. So something has changed on microsofts servers for each account that has signed in to wlm 2010..
I am waiting til i find 15.3 or some other new build to see if that changes something.

If you log on to webmessenger, keep being logged in, and then open up WLM 2009 and log in, you will be able to receive files with the "damaged" account, or at least that works for me.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by djdannyp on 03-26-2010 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sq1

Correct, that is definitely the cause.

@dskilll: the problem is caused by signing into the new messenger by using the patch...removing the patch doesn't change the fact that you have signed in and something has happened to your account.

To anyone else who reads this who hasn't tried the patch..don't.  WLM 2010/Wave 4/WLM 12 is ONLY designed to be used by official WLM testers at the moment and the strange things happening are because you're illegally hacking into a piece of software you're not meant to be using.

When a public beta is released, it will be safe to use.
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by sq1 on 03-26-2010 at 10:19 PM

Maybe a re-patch can help to correct what the 1st one screwed?...

I remember that after using the patch once, if you uninstall Wave 4 and reinstall it again it doesn't need to be patched again! So... the patch did something to our accounts the 1st time.

Anyone know the guy who made it??

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 03-27-2010 at 04:21 PM

That makes very good sense... hmmm sounds like we are in the shit for good then?

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 04-03-2010 at 03:18 PM

No one has found a way to fix this? no work around? no way to get it back to normal ?

has to be something we can do :O

getting annoyed, i cant receive any files hehe

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by davidm_silva on 04-03-2010 at 11:32 PM

It all depends on servers. What do I mean?
Why do you think users can no longer log in to Windows Live Messenger 8.X or previous? Because the connection address and ports used by this clients are now closed. Webmessenger apps are configured to connect only to a certain port and address that corresponds to MSN's default (Windows Messenger of Windows XP).
However, WLM 2009 is able to connect to WLM 2010's servers, and that's what is causing this mess. Servers receive connection attempts from users and save those definitions to increase the sign in speed. However, if you connect to a "buggy" or unauthorized server, that will be the server where you will sign in in the future. Somehow confusing, right?
I belive this WLM 2010 patch ables your account to connect to Windows Messenger's servers, but I need to go deeper in an investigation, wich I'll take care as soon as I can.

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Chrissy on 04-04-2010 at 01:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
No one has found a way to fix this? no work around? no way to get it back to normal ?

has to be something we can do :O

getting annoyed, i cant receive any files hehe
Well, technically having WLM2010 is illegal..

..so meh.
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by James Potter on 04-04-2010 at 01:34 PM

What the patch does, according to my understanding, is change two bytes in the memory that function as a "dogfood" check for your e-mail accounts. Whereas, without patching WLM, upon sign in, WLM checks if the provided e-mail address is part of the dogfood testing, and if so, the connection will pass to MSNP20, if not, the connection is rejected. When WLM is patched, this "check" is eliminated, so you automatically sign in  to MSNP20 regardless of your authority.

Therefore, as David M. Silva said, using WLM2009 won't downgrade your use of MSNP20.

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 04-04-2010 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James Potter
What the patch does, according to my understanding, is change two bytes in the memory that function as a "dogfood" check for your e-mail accounts. Whereas, without patching WLM, upon sign in, WLM checks if the provided e-mail address is part of the dogfood testing, and if so, the connection will pass to MSNP20, if not, the connection is rejected. When WLM is patched, this "check" is eliminated, so you automatically sign in  to MSNP20 regardless of your authority.

Therefore, as David M. Silva said, using WLM2009 won't downgrade your use of MSNP20.

thanks for clearing it up :) i understand know what has happened and why it is "broken" do you know anyway to unpatch it?
sounds like the account will not work til WLM2010 is released, is that so? :(

RE: RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by davidm_silva on 04-04-2010 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
quote:
Originally posted by James Potter

thanks for clearing it up :) i understand know what has happened and why it is "broken" do you know anyway to unpatch it?
sounds like the account will not work til WLM2010 is released, is that so? :(

No. Probably when a public BETA gets released, and if this public BETA fixes the Private Beta's bugs, the problem will probably be solved.
RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by sq1 on 04-07-2010 at 09:42 PM

Today my options are back, i can receive files, nudges and winks again!!!! weee :P

RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spunky on 04-07-2010 at 10:23 PM

I didn't see these posts but:

davidm_silva: You are possibly along the right lines, but the official client always connects to the same gateway server and and ports. It is this server that determines the protocol to use based on the client version so I doubt that is the problem.

James Potter: Sounds more plausible, but the patch must rewrite two bytes within one of the WLM files (most likely msmsgr.exe). This would be removed upon uninstallation and fixed with a re-install so I don't see how it could be that either.

It is probably more likely to be a security measure for the testers so that non-testers lose functionality for a while (the WLM team could then track bug reports relating to this).

I still have to test this out so I'll give it a whirl later in a VM seeing as I'm running Ubuntu now =/

RE: RE: WLM 2010 - 15.2.. very buggy, cant receive files, video chat doesnt work by Spazy on 04-08-2010 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sq1
Today my options are back, i can receive files, nudges and winks again!!!! weee :P

dude awesome.. what did you do? :O did it just suddenly start working again? :O
ah yes, happy days... it works for me too.. i can receive files again.. havnt tested video chat yet.. hope that works too...

awesome :D